Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Question for all you Jupiter Hell folks: how do you decide what build you're gonna do?

I've been just forcing a specific build from the start, but I wonder if it's almost better for me to pick generic useful traits until I find a good weapon that can nudge me in a direction. Like, I only need 3 levelups to get the master trait at 8, I could stand to spend a few levels getting Whizkid or something until a good weapon drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Arzaac posted:

Question for all you Jupiter Hell folks: how do you decide what build you're gonna do?

I've been just forcing a specific build from the start, but I wonder if it's almost better for me to pick generic useful traits until I find a good weapon that can nudge me in a direction. Like, I only need 3 levelups to get the master trait at 8, I could stand to spend a few levels getting Whizkid or something until a good weapon drops.

Once you learn the rewards each branch has, your first terminal is going to tell you what you can find easily and what you'd have to get lucky for.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Usually the question I ask myself is if I'm going either dodge or cover/armor tank with my first traits, since generally you can take three "free" traits before taking the prereqs for your master trait. Even then, the free traits can also complement your pre-reqs, making you lean towards a specific playstyle (and master) in turn. This is generally how I play Marine, since he has access to both Hellrunner and Cover Master, though personally I've actually found it better to prefer Cover Master if only because it gives you splash damage resistance.

As a corollary, Technicians have no real dodge abilities, but Cover Master leads to either Fireangel and Entrenchment eventually. That gives you up to the end of Europa to suss out how your build works out, particularly since there's usually a solid chance that you'll get a relic in Europa that may help define your build.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Beat Jupiter Hell on Hard :toot:

Stealth is good, I have absolutely no idea how you'd beat that last fight without the relic I had that gave healing on kills.

Random surface level observations:

Game fun. Play it.

Game plays great on a controller. Controls and game speed in general are great.

I like how strong the various terminal interaction and skill upgrades are, but at the same time, it feels like you're harshly punished in some special areas if you've invested in points in things that are not 'Kill Harder' or 'Live' - probably just something that comes with experience.

The early assrock is terrible. The later ambient and moody tracks are way, way better. Hope I can fiddle with this, it's aggressively bad.

The graphics range from 'this looks like a unity asset store game' to 'that's pretty nice'. The kinda generic base levels suffer from this the most, some of the special areas are a bit more engaging.

Spoilers:

I found the self-reloading plasma rifle that leveled up and that carried me to the end. I actually found some other fairly powerful uniques soon after, but nothing came close to that thing at level 3, it mulched fatties and death mechs in two or three shots.

Warlocks are bad news. Archmedusa also.

Great stuff, I'll test out the higher difficulties when I get them unlocked, I haven't played enough runs to even have UV open yet.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

victrix posted:

The early assrock is terrible.

You're terrible. :colbert:

Gun kata is a lot of fun, pistols seem overtuned in general but it's a pretty good game overall. I hope they'll keep working on it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I pick one and go for it, because you hit level 8 or so pretty late if you find something great you can swap around to use it with some modest delay that feels worth the wait.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

...lol that's pretty bleak

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just truth in advertising for the doom1 rl

... I read a message that vending machines can drop stimpacks when destroyed, is this true!?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

victrix posted:

Just truth in advertising for the doom1 rl

... I read a message that vending machines can drop stimpacks when destroyed, is this true!?

Holy poo poo, apparently so. 5% chance of dropping a small medkit or stimpack. TIL

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Jupiter Hell. I keep seeing people say that stealth is super strong, can you please teach me how you're using it? I've mostly been using it as a way to escape sticky situations, but I'm guessing I should be using it more for the crit bonus?

I'm getting pretty consistent at making it deep into Io but I just usually get ground down by splash damage until I run out of medkits. Currently I'm in Io with a Gun Kata build and it feels really good, but I'm once again slowly running out of medkits and really am not sure how to proceed.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
getting out of sticky situations is the best, yeah. With gun kata you want to engage at max distance and move backwards, so you hit enemies but they won't hit you back. Use stealth when flanked or when you encounter a dangerous enemy around the corner.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Warning about stealth: demons can smell ya. Smoke grenades can wipe your scent trail, and you really have almost no reason to keep them around.

It can work super well with all builds, perhaps even better. But since final release added scopes to snipers, it’s worth mentioning that if you have any perks, mods, or amps that give a bonus on aim, that stacks with stealth.

For instance, say you have a sniper or Hunter rifle. You can reload, heal, and then aim for a total +%200 crit chance from stealth, not counting the sniper master trait. Or if you mod an SMG with precise and have deadly precision 3, your first target will have a huge bonus to base damage, then the +%200 crit chance. After that first enemy you’ll be back down to base + deadly crit, but it is huge for taking down one big bad guy.

There’s also executioner builds, if you find a plus crit shotgun or go melee, etc.

I’m fairly bad at stealth, though I’m currently seeing improvement. I might be more coherent without day two of construction work, but I probably typed at least one coherent thought out. If not, well I’ll just wait until I can keep an entire train of thought before I play and post again. Shouldn’t be too long.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My best run yet in JH was a normal marine with max dodge and melee skills. The hardest part is that after chewing through rooms full of enemies head-on, you have to remember that some rooms have too many enemies to just run straight in every time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Spoilers obviously, but how are you all handling the last boss? Get there with a ton of health items? Insane defenses?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

victrix posted:

Spoilers obviously, but how are you all handling the last boss? Get there with a ton of health items? Insane defenses?

my scout blew all my energy cells using the BFT9K to clear Dante’s Inferno. I barely pulled through with a level 3 Avalanche and using several CRI phase devices. My options were limited since it was my first time and I didn’t expect the final boss to do what it did. I didn’t even really have the time to figure it out properly. I would highly recommend plasma grenades, phase devices, etc. And stay the hell out of Dante’s Inferno- I blew through around 400+ energy cells there.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yeah the final 'special level' is NOT worth it, at all.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Can confirm, my winning marine rolled through it with an Avalanche+BFG and it ate a bunch of health resources that I really wish I'd had while I was trying to figure out what the hell the last boss was even doing. Still not sure how the purple shield phase worked, honestly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

victrix posted:

Also, first thing you probably want to do: ignore the big field of destructible cover in front of the boss, throw smoke at him if you got it, and run past him to get to two indestructible pillars that you can use as actual cover.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

victrix posted:

My strategy is to drop smoke on it and then head to the back of the room where there's permanent cover and the summons won't come from your sides. As more summons come, use smoke or gas to limit line of sight for direct attacks from them and the boss. Grenades are really useful for the fight.

High damage is the biggest help, if you can't burn through the summons quickly things get very nasty.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lmao in Adom I rolled up a hurthling monk, managed to get precrowned with whirlwind, cleared the pyramid so I could roll around with the ankh and ancient mummy wrapping and decided to check out one of the random dungeons south of the old barbarian clearing.
Generated a wand shop with a discounted wand of wishing inside bought it and got a wrench out for an amulet of life saving for Klehvestar on the first try. :agesilaus:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Lawman 0 posted:

Lmao in Adom I rolled up a hurthling monk, managed to get precrowned with whirlwind, cleared the pyramid so I could roll around with the ankh and ancient mummy wrapping and decided to check out one of the random dungeons south of the old barbarian clearing.
Generated a wand shop with a discounted wand of wishing inside bought it and got a wrench out for an amulet of life saving for Klehvestar on the first try. :agesilaus:

In the old days I'd be sure that character was going to run into an Emperor Moloch who had picked up another Emperor Moloch's armor. I'm not sure what the current equivalent to that is.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Threw my promising JH Hard Scout away experimenting in the Frozen Temple:

Picked up an AMP V3 and got a warning.
Picked up the Frozen Heart - nothing happens - dropped it.
Picked up the Avalanche - nothing happens - dropped it.
Picked up the Frozen Heart again... monster party.

Does this mean there's just a chance of monster party with each pick up? So I could've gotten away with all 3 items?

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 13, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IIRC the monsters spawn in if you go for all three. Maybe there's a failsafe in there when you picked up the heart again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Post your YASD.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Oof I think I basically drove my hard JH run with scout into a brick wall by deciding to try CRI laboratory. Those marines don't mess around

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm usually dead long before end of callisto because i find backing into corridors extremely boring

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

dyzzy posted:

Oof I think I basically drove my hard JH run with scout into a brick wall by deciding to try CRI laboratory. Those marines don't mess around

Learning what enemy types are in an area seems quite important, I should probably start paying closer attention to that.. I hosed my Gun Kata run by venturing into the Shadow Halls. L1 - L3 was nothing but demons that didn't drop ammo but my stubborn rear end kept pushing it and unsurprisingly I just completely ran out halfway through the special level at the end of Shadow Halls.

Gun Kata seems super strong if you can stay stocked with ammo. I was having no problem with exalted demons even when I only had ammo for one of my pistols.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

Post your YASD.

Will do when I attempt to clear the tower of eternal flames and die horribly.
Edit: Anyways can I just opine for a movement how good the ability to kick down walls is? It's genuinely amazing even if I'm not really getting much out of it as a hurthling monk.
Also is the bug temple elven chain mail good for monks as general armor?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 13, 2021

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

CRAYON posted:

Learning what enemy types are in an area seems quite important, I should probably start paying closer attention to that.. I hosed my Gun Kata run by venturing into the Shadow Halls. L1 - L3 was nothing but demons that didn't drop ammo but my stubborn rear end kept pushing it and unsurprisingly I just completely ran out halfway through the special level at the end of Shadow Halls.

Gun Kata seems super strong if you can stay stocked with ammo. I was having no problem with exalted demons even when I only had ammo for one of my pistols.

Same thing happened to me. I was actually able to barely squeak past without ammo, but only by totally exhausting my stockpile of consumables. I eventually bled out through by attrition in Dante as a result.

One downside of Gun Kata is that even after I realized I was burning ammo faster than I could restock it, the nature of the ability means that you can't *not* fire at enemies you're trying to avoid. Going completely dry on ammo was inevitable.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Ciaphas posted:

Had more fun playing with a controller just now - damned if I could tell you why that makes a difference, but it does!
Goodness gracious, you weren't kidding, this is true!
Now if I could pretty please just have my ASCII

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Still working on Synthetik, got to the final room where you hack the servers twice now but died in almost the exact same place. I know the floor titles deal damage but something just tears through me there and I wish I could review the combat logs.

This last run was so surprisingly promising. Riot Gunner with the daily run randomized equipment. Had life steal and but no other healing items throughout the run. Started with a plasma shotgun that carried me through the whole time, with a ballistic shotgun to chew through armor.

I’m getting more consistent though, I’ll beat it yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Disco room is 100% the most lethal part of the game. The real danger aside from the death floor are the elite snipers that spawn and can just slightly off screen enough you can't see them as they shoot you dead very quickly.

Good news is you're close and the first final boss is just beyond that room. Good luck!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Nuked my so far best run ever in JH literally right after grabbing the BFG in CRI Armory in what I assume is a scripted ambush after grabbing the BFG since I had already cleared the level of enemies earlier. Didn't even get to fire the damned thing because I panicked like an idiot and tried to shotgun my way out of it. It was going so well too because I went Army of Darkness and found an amp that reloaded my shotgun with movement. :negative:

Anyway game good. Does anyone know what the Frozen Heart does?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hot take: i don't think ammunition adds much to JH and there are enough other numbers to play with that it could be removed outright.

Of course grenades and rockets should be limited.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Insert name here posted:

Nuked my so far best run ever in JH literally right after grabbing the BFG in CRI Armory in what I assume is a scripted ambush after grabbing the BFG since I had already cleared the level of enemies earlier. Didn't even get to fire the damned thing because I panicked like an idiot and tried to shotgun my way out of it. It was going so well too because I went Army of Darkness and found an amp that reloaded my shotgun with movement. :negative:

Anyway game good. Does anyone know what the Frozen Heart does?

you can use the frozen heart at the final level of shadow halls to choose between three rewards. i don't think any of them are worth the price you have to pay for them but i'm also not very good at the game.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

bees x1000 posted:

Hot take: i don't think ammunition adds much to JH and there are enough other numbers to play with that it could be removed outright.

Ditto with armor durability

Why yes, I did just have both of my durability+ fully upgraded armor pieces crap out on me right at the end of Dante, after hitting up every repair station I could find

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Of course grenades and rockets should be limited.

That's indeed a hot take.

Got my first win yesterday going assassin. Not sure if any build will be as fun as teleporting around insta-gibbing enemies 24/7. Had no problem with dante inferno or the boss, while before I never managed to get past the first floors of IO.

Smith Comma John posted:

Ditto with armor durability

Why yes, I did just have both of my durability+ fully upgraded armor pieces crap out on me right at the end of Dante, after hitting up every repair station I could find

You can use multitools to repair armor any time.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Got Jupiter Hell - really fun, but what's going on with the performance? It runs fine, but my relatively beefy rig's coolers go absolutely nuts with this game even with lower graphics settings (fps capped to 60). Are there any tricks for this, or is it just a tad unoptimized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Will do when I attempt to clear the tower of eternal flames and die horribly.
Edit: Anyways can I just opine for a movement how good the ability to kick down walls is? It's genuinely amazing even if I'm not really getting much out of it as a hurthling monk.
Also is the bug temple elven chain mail good for monks as general armor?

i mean it exists but you're probably wearing like the ancient mummy wrapping well before you ever get to the bug temple and the elven chain is only better in a few ways (though toughness increases are nice) while lacking a bunch of the intrinsics that the AMW has. you can smith elven chain which means you can make them pretty funny if you feel like dealing with that tedium. but then you're still missing all those intrinsics.