Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DuckConference posted:

If moving more of your driver stack to user space is causing more kernel panics I feel like something has gone a little askew.

no, seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

it's only a kernal on commodore computers from the 1980s, otherwise it's just a sparkling kernel

im not good with computers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

trying to listen to new albums that came out this year today. I like the new dinosaur jr.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Puppy Galaxy posted:

im not good with computers

luckily this isn’t a crime unless you live in Denmark

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Carthag Tuek posted:

commodore computers from the 1980s,

i bought a dongle to hook ours up to the old low res plasma the old owners left behind because they were lazy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i think they should make a watch that plugs into your bloodstream and uses glucose for power.

sounds like an excellent way to get some life threatening infections. where do i sign up

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I was running music at a dance show tonight, it was someone else's iPhone through a lightning-3.5mm dongle into a sound mixer. somehow running the iPhone at full volume output caused the dongle to repeatedly disconnect, perhaps due to overheating? loving mortifying. so cool that a simple analog audio output has been hosed by Apple

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jenny Agutter posted:

I was running music at a dance show tonight, it was someone else's iPhone through a lightning-3.5mm dongle into a sound mixer. somehow running the iPhone at full volume output caused the dongle to repeatedly disconnect, perhaps due to overheating? loving mortifying. so cool that a simple analog audio output has been hosed by Apple

To avoid further shame I would add one of these to your dj set bag

https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/

the lightning audio dongle is for casual listening not something you rely on.

The constant disconnect btw is not due to heat but for too much power drain. It was designed when the max output was higher so running it at 100% will have it break the new lower barrier.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 14, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

the lightning audio dongle is for casual listening not something you rely on.

got to buy the Pro Max dongles

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
run the iphone at 50% vol and drive the amp/stereo system instead???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my gain structure!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

my gain structure!

normies don’t understand gain structure and will happily set everything to 25% and the. call customer support to complain they can barely hear anything

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zam Wesell posted:

run the iphone at 50% vol and drive the amp/stereo system instead???

yeah that's what i ended up doing but i had no idea what was going on at first. you expect these official apple dongles to be able to handle whatever the phone can throw out. to be clear none of this was my equipment, i was just asked to press button on phone at the right time

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it’s a headphone jack not line out, the fact that that an impedance mismatch is even possible on the “standard” 3.5mm interface is a good reason to deprecate it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my brain can’t accept Bluetooth as something stable and quality enough for live music production

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
always maxing my gains

getting beefy as gently caress

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Perplx posted:

it’s a headphone jack not line out, the fact that that an impedance mismatch is even possible on the “standard” 3.5mm interface is a good reason to deprecate it

galaxy brain take

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Perplx posted:

:ughh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

normies don’t understand gain structure and will happily set everything to 25% and the. call customer support to complain they can barely hear anything

what? i cranked the amp but all i'm getting is hiss

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I use an acoustic decoupler for my stereo

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

fart simpson posted:

are you the YMH prank calls fart simpson

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
older macbooks had optical out built into the headphone jack and really that’s the future we should have had instead of dongles

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

I record and playback audio on my analog Nagra IV because of its much more natural gain structure

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
post your sickest gains

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I have no idea what any of this audio stuff means

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

it means the dongle sucks and if they’re going to make the phone uneven in thickness to fit in more cameras most people will never use they could at least put the headphone jack back

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

my brain can’t accept Bluetooth as something stable and quality enough for live music production

airplay might be good though, it goes over wifi/ethernet and though i dont know whether the compression is lossless or high fidelity enough, its definitely much better than bluetooth, and the thing SlowBloke posted does it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lysidas posted:

airplay might be good though, it goes over wifi/ethernet and though i dont know whether the compression is lossless or high fidelity enough, its definitely much better than bluetooth, and the thing SlowBloke posted does it

depending on how many on-the-go changes you're making airplay has a built-in minimum buffer of 2 seconds (or did)

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 15, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

all technological progress over the last 20 years has resulted in introducing additional input latency to everything we do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
impedance matching isnt really a big concern any more. as long as your source has lower impedance than the load its fine

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Jenny Agutter posted:

all technological progress over the last 20 years has resulted in introducing additional input latency to everything we do

I love having an extra box on my desk for my wireless headphones instead of being able to use a built in wireless standard that doesn't suck rear end.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

impedance matching isnt really a big concern any more. as long as your source has lower impedance than the load its fine

impedance matching is still something that doesn't click in my brain, which is going to be really annoying when I end up buying a proper tube amp head and need to match a cab for it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah that's what i ended up doing but i had no idea what was going on at first. you expect these official apple dongles to be able to handle whatever the phone can throw out.

from this and your op it sounds like you might not be aware these things aren't passive devices? if you weren't, well, lightning is a digital-signal-only interface electrically based on usb. those "dongles" aren't just wire and connectors, they're USB dacs with integrated headphone amps

so my best guess is overload of the dongle's amp followed by self-reset, re-running usb enumeration, etc. while apple's dongles can drive more power than similar competitors:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-apple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

there's only so much amp you can fit into that small a package

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah i know how those things work, but why would apple let its dongle overload itself. poo poo system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its smart but its not that smart. pulling the rug out from under it by reducing the available dc power was kind of a poo poo move wont lie

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dongle.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

pull my

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yknow, you dongle, i dongle, he/she dongles. it's first grade spongebob

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

dongle is a fun word this can’t be denied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/16/22627515/flicktype-ios-keyboard-discontinued-blind-visually-impaired

looks like this app developer "hosed around" and "found out". all hail based timb for keeping this sick poo poo off the app store. most curated software sotrfront in the world baby!