Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I loved Prisoners, what was your gripe?

A pulpy potboiler like that has absolutely no business being 150 minutes long. If you want to see it done right, Gone Baby Gone has like twice as much plot nicely fit in a package 40 minutes shorter. I was pretty much with it up until the suspect Jake Gyllenhaal is interrogating commits suicide - which could've been a satisfactory, if admittedly bleak, conclusion to the story all its own - but everything after that draaaaagged and dragged and the climax was extremely silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also the whole secret network of Replicant rebels waiting for the go on a slave rebellion. being a tiny detail mentioned in one scene felt a bit strange aside from being used to drive the plot forward.

It's part of the idea that Ryan Gosling is not special. You've got this whole important, world-changing political movement happening, but it's just happening elsewhere. He's so far removed from it he doesn't even see it. This is of a piece with how the movie ends: we stay with Ryan Gosling dying outside, as Deckard disappears to see his daughter.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ahahah watching either Blade Runner with a critical eye instead of smoking indica and vibing the gently caress out ahahahah

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

ahahah watching either Blade Runner with a critical eye instead of smoking indica and vibing the gently caress out ahahahah

it is definitely the case that guys like Nolan and Villeneuve seem to think Blade Runner is a plot movie when it's really a vibes movie.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Some ex-goon(maybe penismightier?) described Arrival as a story that plays like Brief Encounter but Villanueve shot it like The Shining, and I think that applies to basically everything Villanueve does. Very technical competent filmmaker not a single good filmmaking instincts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't think he's bad at all, I enjoyed both Arrival and 2049, but there is a bit of that too-clean, too-understated quality to a lot of his work.

One thing that did bug me in Arrival was how it could have easily been a black and white film and not really looked any different, it's one of those films that's obviously only in color because it's hard to get investors to sign off on black and white.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

caligulamprey posted:

Blade Runner 1 gets better the more you examine it, ya goof.

For example, like I noted, the opening text is written from the perspective of far-future society looking back on the historical events of the 2010s. Back in the early 21st century, there were stupid cops called blade runners who used stupid euphemisms for 'killing':

"It was not called execution. It was called retirement."

So the film itself asks to be read as a piece of metafiction, a diegetic historical drama produced by a more progressive society in the 2100s or something.

Blade Runner 2 is like 2049: PRESENT DAY and it's all downhill from there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arrival was the only thing that didnt make me fall into a pit of complete ruin when I lost family.

It hit me so hard.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s still extremely funny to me that villeneuve cashed in all the credit he got from a career of tight dramas specifically so he could spend all his time directing gurning middlebrow scifi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s still extremely funny to me that villeneuve cashed in all the credit he got from a career of tight dramas specifically so he could spend all his time directing gurning middlebrow scifi

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Easy: He wants to be Nolan.

Although Nolan got to direct whatever the gently caress he wanted in between Batman sequels.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I wish I had liked Raw Deal, but all the mob politicking just slid off my brain. Arnold turning over an illegal gambling operation with a bulldozer and driving through a quarry blasting dudes while listening to Satisfaction were fun as hell, though.

The only Villeneuve I’ve seen that I think is great is Incendies, which is wild because that’s an emotionally heavy movie while the rest of his stuff feels pretty detached.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I tried watching 2049 when lockdown started, and was just bored out of my mind and didn't bother finishing it.

This did not stop me from buying the 4k uhd because I have a problem

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I would have enjoyed BR2049 more if it had jettisoned all the connections to the original movie. Once Deckard shows up the movie doesn't know who it's about anymore.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Arrival is good, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Prisoners is dope and between it and The Dark Knight Rises it is the superior film about post 9/11 trauma

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The United States posted:

Prisoners is dope and between it and The Dark Knight Rises it is the superior film about post 9/11 trauma

talk about a low bar

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I was gonna talk some poo poo about The Revenant but then I realized I was mixing up my spaniards and then I realized Villeneuve isn't even spanish and then I realized Inarritu isn't either

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Polytechnique is extremely good and everyone should watch it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blade Runner: Part 2 : The Bladening was one of the prettiest movies I've ever scene and had some really cool scenes but as a whole I was pretty underwhelmed.

I like Arrival a lot more.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I wish I had liked Raw Deal, but all the mob politicking just slid off my brain. Arnold turning over an illegal gambling operation with a bulldozer and driving through a quarry blasting dudes while listening to Satisfaction were fun as hell, though.

I basically ignored all of that stuff. It was mostly background noise anywat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only Villeneuve I’ve seen that I think is great is Incendies, which is wild because that’s an emotionally heavy movie while the rest of his stuff feels pretty detached.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Polytechnique is extremely good and everyone should watch it.

Polytechnique is extremely good and emotionally heavy but I'm going to say that if you are depressed you should maybe not watch it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was gonna talk some poo poo about The Revenant but then I realized I was mixing up my spaniards and then I realized Villeneuve isn't even spanish and then I realized Inarritu isn't either

Inarratu is Mexican, or at least South American, right? I think they are allowed to say whatever the gently caress they want about Spain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ah Quebec, the Spain of Canada.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RichieMcCormack/status/1425831123393732610?s=20

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What a voyage lol

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I certainly wouldn’t call Polytechnique or Enemy detached. If anything they’re overwhelming because they’re so intensely attached to deranged viewpoints. I definitely see how there’s an austerity in like, Sicario or Prisoners and his recent sci fi movies though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blade Runner 2049 is loving awesome.

Too much hate lmao.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I’d respect it more if it put it all out there and was called Blade Runner 2h49

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would watch it if it was 4 hours. I loved being in that world. Super dope.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Batista was a really interesting character and there's a lot of cool production design but I found most of 2049's plot to be less interesting than thinking about how Deakins shot certain sequences.

To be fair, that's approximately how I felt about Blade Runner Original Recipe, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Blade Runner 2 was great, I loved it, gently caress you, etc. etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Posted it on the discord but I'll post it here too, I made a film. It's 47 seconds long and in 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRClBCKWSs8

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

josh04 posted:

Posted it on the discord but I'll post it here too, I made a film. It's 47 seconds long and in 60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRClBCKWSs8

Paraphrasing me from discord, worthless because it's a blended scotch and not a single malt.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’d respect it more if it put it all out there and was called Blade Runner 2h49

I like this.

I watched it slightly high and recall the visuals being amazing but the story not sufficiently emotionally engaging.

I really liked Arrival apart from the slightly heavy-handed Alex Jones sub-plot.

Skwirl posted:

Paraphrasing me from discord, worthless because it's a blended scotch and not a single malt.

Good, because having ice with a single malt would be considered heresy in some parts.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 12, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There are quality blended whiskies out there and I'm sure the names of any of them will come back to me soon.

A single ice cube is fairly respectable, although I'll admit I'm pushing it with my very large single ice sphere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Heathens. Br2049 is far and away the best film of the century.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

Alien Covenant is a superior Ridley Scott sequel from the same year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

feedmyleg posted:

I guess if you ignore the Last Lovecraft

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm surprised that Villeneuve never got hired to make Marvel movies. Anyway, I can't wait to see what a hilarious disaster DUNC turns out to be. I'm not actually going to see it, I just can't wait for the reactions and when it bombs hard.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Alien Covenant is a superior Ridley Scott sequel from the same year.

Oddly they share a screenwriter. I know no one hits every time and he had different co writers and directors but I find that very surprising

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'm surprised that Villeneuve never got hired to make Marvel movies. Anyway, I can't wait to see what a hilarious disaster DUNC turns out to be. I'm not actually going to see it, I just can't wait for the reactions and when it bombs hard.

There’s no way he’d go for their 2nd unit shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

There’s no way he’d go for their 2nd unit shenanigans.

I don't think a lot of people have that kind of integrity when you're offered the job security and amount of money that Disney is throwing at people to make those things. It's not like anyone else was going to pay the Safety Not Guaranteed guy millions of dollars to make a movie before he got hired to make an Avengers.