Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if i was a radio guy i'd just do pirate radio all the time because why the gently caress not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

🎵 The FCC won't let you be 🎵

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just felt we needed a little controversy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i really love the idea of pirate radio but the only normie rules obeyer thing that i hold truly dear is my ham license. it's a really important part of who i am and how i present myself to the world, and i'd never do anything to endanger it until such time that society collapses, in which case i break out one of the pirate-ready broadcast transmitters i have in cold storage and we go wolfman jack on post-apoc hellworld

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the airwaves feel so empty without you.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fortaleza posted:

🎵 The FCC won't let you be 🎵

Sagebrush posted:

the airwaves feel so empty without you.

rotor posted:

this is classic rock to hbag. hosed up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

did grunge ever come back? someone would tell me if it did, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REIF8BewwdM

NOT KPOP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

theres a few indie rock bands that came up in the early 2010s in china that seem pretty grunge inspired

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

it did but just for julian casablancas's look

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

yes it was called numetal

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

theres a few indie rock bands that came up in the early 2010s in china that seem pretty grunge inspired

i'd be hella down for some chinese grunge bands

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yes it was called numetal

:rolleyes:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vintersorg posted:

being old is your classic rock station literally saying before a song comes on:

“now THIS is classic rock” and it’s Alice in Chains “Man in the Box” 👴🏻
Nah, that's just having been alive longer. Posting "GEN X WAS THE LAST GENERATION TO PLAY OUTSIDE AND RIDE BIKES WITHOUT HELMETS AND PAGERS AND BEING SCARED OF AIDS AND MTV STILL PLAYED MUSIC AND WHATEVER DUMB lovely BULLSHIT I'M WEIRDLY NOSTALGIC ABOUT GRRRRRRRRRR" memes? That's what old is.

rotor posted:

if i was a radio guy i'd just do pirate radio all the time because why the gently caress not
Well you could have been, but you let Marconi beat you to the punch 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

rotor posted:

Well lots of guys these days think it's gay to wipe so... sorta?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Kazinsal posted:

it's still wacky to read the SA live thread for 9/11

iirc it's page five or six where someone posts WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR lmao

page 3

for those who haven't seen it: http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

sometimes i think i should do one hour a day of classic FM dj radio. and by that i don't mean "classic rock" but the concept of a DJ with some sort of personality doing chatter between tracks and letting things breathe enough but not too much.

the local rap station DJs do it and its all just poo poo like having the dj interject between every fourth song OK FELLAS HERE'S A QUESTION. IS IT COOL TO GET A SIDE CHICK IF YOUR LADY PREGNANT troll poo poo

as someone who had an fm radio show for seven years, never loving do a radio show

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Nah, that's just having been alive longer. Posting "GEN X WAS THE LAST GENERATION TO PLAY OUTSIDE AND RIDE BIKES WITHOUT HELMETS AND PAGERS AND BEING SCARED OF AIDS AND MTV STILL PLAYED MUSIC AND WHATEVER DUMB lovely BULLSHIT I'M WEIRDLY NOSTALGIC ABOUT GRRRRRRRRRR" memes? That's what old is.

my childhood was pretty good. thanks mom and dad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

graph posted:

as someone who had an fm radio show for seven years, never loving do a radio show

how's your throat today tho

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man theres a lot of "we should glass the entire middle east including civilians" posts in that thread

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

how's your throat today tho

idgi

hbag posted:

man theres a lot of "we should glass the entire middle east including civilians" posts in that thread

the most listened to radio show at that time, the howard stern show, was basically this for weeks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

grunge will never come back and that's fine with me

it'd be phony

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

CPColin posted:

I had a noble goal for a few days of making a list of every bathroom on campus and rating how it was for pooping in, but gave up after only a couple because most of them are pretty cramped and awful. Now I just poop in my own toilet because 1) bidet and 2) lol @ ever going back to campus

you should make a web app that lets everyone on campus rate and review all the toilets on campus

I’m actually serious, you could call it a test web site for authentication and stuff

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CPColin posted:

I had a noble goal for a few days of making a list of every bathroom on campus and rating how it was for pooping in, but gave up after only a couple because most of them are pretty cramped and awful. Now I just poop in my own toilet because 1) bidet and 2) lol @ ever going back to campus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pci_7o6cCbM

literally this

"an iphone application that leads you via your gps to the nearest acceptable toilet wherever you are in the world"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

idgi

the most listened to radio show at that time, the howard stern show, was basically this for weeks

i think he’s asking if you sucked them off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i did a radio show in college. it was a Format show but still, i was on the air

i know whats involved

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

grunge will never come back and that's fine with me

it'd be phony

at this point it'd be post-post grunge, and that would probably suck so hard that it would make post-grunge good in retrospect

grunge: late 80s/early 90s angst channeled into underground indie rock
post-grunge: late 90s/early 00s angst in the wake of the deaths of kurt cobain and (somewhat later) layne staley
post-post grunge: ????

no offense to the guys from theory of a deadman or creed or staind but I can't imagine enough people would be so broken up over them croaking to channel it into a new evolution of grunge music

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

wasn’t just on sa. that was a common thought in america at the time. the only pakistani restaurant near where i was living had to shut down for like a year due to death threats

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hbag posted:

what do you typically do with your old hard drives when you replace them in your NAS with newer, bigger ones
it seems like a waste to just have them sitting in anti-static bags for all eternity

you get older computers to put them in

you should get a Gen8 ProLiant DL380, put your old hard drives in that, and run a bunch of different stuff on it—it’s like your Synology but cheaper, with more bays, and something approaching a standard PC so you can just throw whatever at it

also it’ll support a sizable fraction of a terabyte of RAM, though it’ll still cost you $TEXAS for that much

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

i think he’s asking if you sucked them off

sucked who off

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

i know whats involved

never ever ever again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

sucked who off

i don’t know

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can't bring myself to watch It tonight

i think tomorrow im gonna live stream a first watch live reaction ride-along

i can comp the video down later

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

graph posted:

sucked who off
No, Who sucks first

fart simpson posted:

i don’t know
Third base!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

eschaton posted:

you get older computers to put them in

you should get a Gen8 ProLiant DL380, put your old hard drives in that, and run a bunch of different stuff on it—it’s like your Synology but cheaper, with more bays, and something approaching a standard PC so you can just throw whatever at it

also it’ll support a sizable fraction of a terabyte of RAM, though it’ll still cost you $TEXAS for that much

believe it or not i have about twenty dollars to my name

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lucky…

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you talked for many hours a day for years, lots of peopel have voice problems after that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i really love the idea of pirate radio but the only normie rules obeyer thing that i hold truly dear is my ham license. it's a really important part of who i am and how i present myself to the world, and i'd never do anything to endanger it until such time that society collapses, in which case i break out one of the pirate-ready broadcast transmitters i have in cold storage and we go wolfman jack on post-apoc hellworld

you better have a callsign license plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you better have a callsign license plate

i won't lie, part of the reason i want to get a ham license is this

really wanted VE7KAZ but someone has it already :(