Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
aeflux pulling the bossest of moves and gaslighting a candidate during the preinterview smalltalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

oh hi we invited you back for a final interview, and wanted to talk about how many lights you see behind me

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
THERE
ARE
A DECE SIX-AND-A-HALF
FIGGIES!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CPColin posted:

THERE
ARE
A DECE SIX-AND-A-HALF
FIGGIES!

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CPColin posted:

THERE
ARE
A DECE SIX-AND-A-HALF
FIGGIES!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

oh god here we go again on what constitutes a half figgie

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
related question: is it still a mermaid if it's fish on-top?

asking for a friend, op

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's a reverse mermaid

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CPColin posted:

THERE
ARE
A DECE SIX-AND-A-HALF
FIGGIES!

lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I want to apologize in advance for being stuck so far in the meme past

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my nominal total comp is 420,072 and ive been weighing whether to ask for a $3 pay cut for like a week

i feel like thats actually a deec candidate for the deec 6.5figs

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my nominal total comp is 420,072 and ive been weighing whether to ask for a $3 pay cut for like a week

I’d be okay making $696,969 and then never go up from there.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

if i was your manager, i know i'd be okay with a 3 dollar paycut for 420,069

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

give 3 extra dollars to charity and write only those off. bing bong so simple.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

memes aside what do you do for a living

I want those figgies...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the cash portion is only 170k so eh

("only 170k" lol)

its normal touchin, i just do it in figgieland prime

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

the cash portion is only 170k so eh

("only 170k" lol)

its normal touchin, i just do it in figgieland prime

ok so 200 (conservatively, maybe you have a higher bonus) plus equity that's probably worth a lot but might not be and is taxed differently from ordinary income.

motherfuckers declare total comp like it's best case time and space. y'all should know better.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why i said nominal, this is silly buggers anyways

actual best case is "it goes up. a lot.", tho

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The cash vs equity split is much more firm than I thought

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so after not interviewing for near on ~5 years due to a whole barrel of self esteem issues, i decided to go interview and snagged a staff engineer position on my first go around. i can wait around to see if my principal promo goes through but honestly i'd probably just leave afterwards anyways.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
also go to therapy seriously

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FamDav posted:

so after not interviewing for near on ~5 years due to a whole barrel of self esteem issues, i decided to go interview and snagged a staff engineer position on my first go around. i can wait around to see if my principal promo goes through but honestly i'd probably just leave afterwards anyways.

nice congrats dude

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

ok so 200 (conservatively, maybe you have a higher bonus) plus equity that's probably worth a lot but might not be and is taxed differently from ordinary income.

motherfuckers declare total comp like it's best case time and space. y'all should know better.

RSUs are taxed just like regular income if you sell them the day they vest. If you hold them after they vest any change in value after the vesting just follows the normal capital gains rules.

EDIT: To clarify, the following scenarios all have you paying the same amount of tax:

1. Your boss hands you a $10k stack of cash as a bonus, and for some reason you decide to buy the company stock with it. Then you sell it a month later.
2. $10k of RSUs vest, you hold on to them, then sell them a month later
3. $10k of RSUs vest, you sell them, change you mind and buy $10k of company stock at the same price on the same day, and sell it a month later

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 13, 2021

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
RSUs at non-obvious meteoric startups are nebulous, RSUs at obvious meteoric startups are know but won't be augmenting your true income anytime soon, and RSUs at public companies are obvious and impacting your comp.

also holy lol this offer package. I was expecting to have to negotiate but I'm getting 3x'd off of my good but maybe stale sr engineer total comp. I think even if I'm promoted in 3-6 months I'd still make 200-300k less a year.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FamDav posted:

RSUs at non-obvious meteoric startups are nebulous, RSUs at obvious meteoric startups are know but won't be augmenting your true income anytime soon, and RSUs at public companies are obvious and impacting your comp.

also holy lol this offer package. I was expecting to have to negotiate but I'm getting 3x'd off of my good but maybe stale sr engineer total comp. I think even if I'm promoted in 3-6 months I'd still make 200-300k less a year.

what region/industry are you in? are you moving to a faang?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

raminasi posted:

what region/industry are you in? are you moving to a faang?

I live in Seattle and have worked for a public cloud provider for over 6 years, and am on track to hit the first post-senior job level in about 6-12 months (i.e., if there's a gap in the promo doc then it will probably take 6-9 months to fill it). This would be from a FAANG to a non-FAANG.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I must vent.

I joined a company after taking a year to job search. I've been there 6 months. In that time, I've had 4 bosses.

For the first two months I worked there, I did not add a single line of code to production because there was nothing to do. I decided to start bringing some order to the nonexistent engineering org, got 100% buy-in to start a decision making meeting (because, for example, we'd sit and talk about how to do PRs for hours without actually implementing anything) and learning hour (because the majority of engineers had <1 year experience or had never worked in a company with more than 1 engineer).

New CTO came in, axed everything I'd worked on in the first month. He's since hired a bunch of people that got to bypass the interview process. They refer to themselves as "the clan" which I saw on a calendar invite one time and not a single member has been at the company for more than a month. That CTO also hired a guy who's got active assault charges against him, they're friends. I got voluntold I was joining "the clan" but turned it down because that's loving weird. Also, the raise would have been for $5k. The other guy who got voluntold to join the clan got a $15k raise. Also, I got demoted and lost my direct report after turning down the promotion. I learned this via an all hands org chart powerpoint slide.

That is just a small part of the things that are hosed with engineering. Also, I haven't even touched on the rest of the company.

End rant.

Hello thread, it's nice to be here again.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

huhu posted:

"the clan"

congrats on not joining the klan “clan”. guess you’re a bad culture fit

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what company is this lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hello huhu, hope you read the thread title on your way in

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Lesson learned:

Take the promotion and raise and still continue to search for a new job. You’ll have more cash, more leverage, and be less observed while searching.

That loving sucks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
set your location on linkedin to a major figgieland if youre not in one already, then the recruiter spam will be much more intense

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

hello huhu, hope you read the thread title on your way in

So Far, in terms of interview requests:
- 7 from Linkedin's "I'm job searching" feature
- 2 from hired.com
- 4 from friends
- 1 from 3 job applications

Steve Jorbs posted:

Lesson learned:

Take the promotion and raise and still continue to search for a new job. You’ll have more cash, more leverage, and be less observed while searching.

That loving sucks.

I dunno. The pay bump would have netted me $560 over two months. The clan also meets like 4 times a week. Instead, I get less job responsibilities while maintaining my figgies. Also my company does part time and I've requested that because of "burnout" and I'll be hopefully getting 3/5th my salary, while road tripping, and getting 4 days off a week.

set your location on linkedin to a major figgieland if youre not in one already, then the recruiter spam will be much more intense
Already live in figgieland. Nice to see remote requests from other figgielands rolling in though.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Their stupid work club requires actual meetings and responsibilities? gently caress that you probably made the right choice then.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

huhu posted:

I dunno. The pay bump would have netted me $560 over two months. The clan also meets like 4 times a week. Instead, I get less job responsibilities while maintaining my figgies. Also my company does part time and I've requested that because of "burnout" and I'll be hopefully getting 3/5th my salary, while road tripping, and getting 4 days off a week.

i see you still haven’t learned this thread’s secret technique of ‘gold bricking’

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to be clear: the winning move here would have been to accept the promotion, take notes on how this “clan” operates so you can spot it as a red flag in the future while also taking money from them, contribute just enough to not get immediately fired, and fire up linkedin. you would be surprised just how little contributed and for how long someone can do nothing of value and get away with it as long as they laugh at the right jokes and rub elbows with the right people. some people’s careers are literally just doing this.

never ever turn down that kind of a gig. who knows it may have even been them trying to invite you into the club and you turned it down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xub8nqHVZ1g

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I thought it was bad at my okd job when I had said different bosses in four years.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Steve Jorbs posted:

Lesson learned:

That loving sucks.

this. what a dumb move

you were asked: do you want more money and to be in closer with your boss

and you said no

say yes and then find a new job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I applied for two positions this week, both of which being huge pay raises and doing work I would enjoy, and was contacted to set up screener calls within about 18 hours. :eek:

Screeners are set for tuesday, each with take home tasks if I advance. Now my imposter syndrome is setting in hard and wondering how I fooled them into thinking I'm remotely qualified. Going to just make a bunch of notes ahead of times so I can say smart things like "why Yes I am a expert, I can use iphone or ipad no problem. I have uploaded many photos to Face Book."