Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

PokeJoe posted:

agreed but the gov helps depress wages by never increasing the minimum wage. to the average person they don't care about the difference between a price increase and inflation because the result in their life is their purchasing power goes down

I get why people don't get it, for most people they just see "I saw some prices go up" and they don't really give too much of a poo poo why the prices went up.

However the thing you do to deal with inflation, vs the thing you do to deal with low purchasing power are real different. Trying to do anti-inflation policy in response to wage stagnation is probably just gonna make the wage-stagnation worse, or other things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't disagree, I think some amount of inflation is a good thing to reduce burdensome debts and encourage rich people to at lease invest their money instead of sitting on it like a gold pile. All wages should be required to get an increase tied to inflation every year at a minimum

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

lol “liberty caucus”

it's one of the 5 words they pick from when forming anything

liberty
heritage
freedom
patriot
family

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mediaphage posted:

these shoes rule

these shoes suck

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

these shoes suck

i think you have too many shoes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm gonna read some words, and they're not going to make any sense but i want you to listen

graph posted:

liberty
heritage
freedom
patriot
family

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1425882609347878916?s=20

I imagine we can expect some wailing and gnashing of teeth from the usual suspects here.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
boomers have been complaining about (white) millennials not forming babby for awhile now, i wanna say it was like 2012 when white births dropped below nonwhite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sure, but this is more than just white people not having babies. it says the number of white people in the US actually decreased this year.

strange, i wonder why

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That blue jacket with the stripe is cool

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Sagebrush posted:

sure, but this is more than just white people not having babies. it says the number of white people in the US actually decreased this year.

strange, i wonder why

Tucker was right. Antifa supersoldiers ARE coming for white people.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I mean you really can't say we don't deserve it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I would totally watch a Smoka written film

hell I’d invest in a Smoka written film

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1425900886447075339?s=20

20 years, trillions of us dollars and countless losses of life and limb on all sides, and afghanistan rapidly returns to taliban control just weeks after the us withdraws

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

PokeJoe posted:

i don't disagree, I think some amount of inflation is a good thing to reduce burdensome debts and encourage rich people to at lease invest their money instead of sitting on it like a gold pile. All wages should be required to get an increase tied to inflation every year at a minimum

inflation is also important to distinguish from increases in the size of the economy

the goldbugs and the buttcoin brigade think that the money supply should be fixed, which is ridiculous on its face given that the population itself is not fixed

that’s why a low but non-zero rate of inflation that about matches population growth turns out to work pretty well: people are being added to the economy, but so are goods and services, so in the end you wind up with enough of a steady state across a reasonable time horizon to provide an overall sense of stability that encourages long-term planning as well as (reasonable) risk-taking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

graph posted:

liberty
heritage
freedom
patriot
family

can’t imagine the fallout if some democrats tried to call themselves the heritage caucus

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1425882609347878916?s=20

I imagine we can expect some wailing and gnashing of teeth from the usual suspects here.
:toot:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1425900886447075339?s=20

20 years, trillions of us dollars and countless losses of life and limb on all sides, and afghanistan rapidly returns to taliban control just weeks after the us withdraws

The graveyard of empires chalks up another one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

eschaton posted:

I would totally watch a Smoka written film

hell I’d invest in a Smoka written film

Fear and Loathing in Edmonton

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I was thinking of something more like a cross between “Slacker” and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. set in Edmonton

maybe like the film version of the Edmonton game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.windy.com/-PM2-5-pm2p5?cams,pm2p5,39.177,-119.323,7

check this out. you can see the dixie fire in california in semi real time and how much area it’s affecting, just by looking at this air quality map

then do yourself a favor and zoom on over to check out the wildfire in siberia

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

https://www.windy.com/-PM2-5-pm2p5?cams,pm2p5,39.177,-119.323,7

check this out. you can see the dixie fire in california in semi real time and how much area it’s affecting, just by looking at this air quality map

then do yourself a favor and zoom on over to check out the wildfire in siberia

the projection is misleading fortunately

but yikes

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jabor posted:

The graveyard of empires chalks up another one.

And the American Enterprise Institute just got this oped published in today's NYTimes...

Biden Could Have Stopped the Taliban. He Chose Not To.

Another point of evidence for my thesis that Biden is cool and good: he's willing to be the one to take the L here (with all the flack that he'll receive for it) rather than letting things draw out for another 4+ years.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Another point of evidence for my thesis that Biden is cool and good: he's willing to be the one to take the L here (with all the flack that he'll receive for it) rather than letting things draw out for another 4+ years.

lol

quote:

May God bless you all, and may God protect our troops. Thank you.

Q Mr. President — do you trust the Taliban, Mr. President?

Q Is a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan now inevitable?

THE PRESIDENT: No, it is not.

Q Why?

THE PRESIDENT: Because you — the Afghan troops have 300,000 well-equipped — as well-equipped as any army in the world — and an air force against something like 75,000 Taliban. It is not inevitable.

U.S. Asks Taliban to Spare Its Embassy in Coming Fight for Kabul

dear taliban,
could you, like, not attack the us embassy when you inevitably take kabul? we'd really appreciate it, thanks

- uncle sam

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

today i learned that the president of hte united states is also the head of pakistani intelligence

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

today i learned that the president of hte united states is also the head of pakistani intelligence

how do you think we found bin laden?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Incidentally, we passed 50% fully vaxxed in the United States.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

lol

U.S. Asks Taliban to Spare Its Embassy in Coming Fight for Kabul

dear taliban,
could you, like, not attack the us embassy when you inevitably take kabul? we'd really appreciate it, thanks

- uncle sam

iirc, the us embassy in kabul is this huge, multiple hundreds of millions+ of hardened installation

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Broken Machine posted:

iirc, the us embassy in kabul is this huge, multiple hundreds of millions+ of hardened installation

It'll make a hell of a new capitol building.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1426208207417008137

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my pediatrician buddy just told me all the beds are full at the childrens hospital. this poo poo was so easy to deal with uhgh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

barkbell posted:

my pediatrician buddy just told me all the beds are full at the childrens hospital. this poo poo was so easy to deal with uhgh

they're dealing with it exactly according to plan. The plan: Kill The Poor

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the pandemic is over. now we just have a new endemic deadly disease everyone ignores

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
our governer is such a fucker im glad im leaving this state (im sure where im going has its own issues)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

barkbell posted:

our governer is such a fucker im glad im leaving this state (im sure where im going has its own issues)

Can't have problems with a governor if you ain't go no governor, ayyyy I'm walkin heaah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sounds like the cat is ok though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

the pandemic is over. now we just have a new endemic deadly disease everyone ignores

see! everything takes care of itself if you ignore it long enough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stereotype posted:

see! everything takes care of itself if you ignore it long enough

it all worked out in the end :colbert:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if your house is on fire just let it burn. it will go out eventually on its own! firefighters don't want you to know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Burned down with fire