Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I honestly think The Red Shoes is going to be the sleeper stunner on UHD. There's only a few classic B&W films on UHD so far - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, Psycho, Dr. Strangelove, plus the upcoming 30s Universal Monsters films - so, I think A Hard Day's Night won't exactly be a revelation since the 2014 Blu-ray is from the 4K restoration (primarily from camera negative, plus fine-grain positives for the first and last reels). Maybe an Atmos track will be added since Giles Martin has been supervising new mixes for the Beatles albums, even though the songs were only recorded in 4-track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It took less than a week after Trevor Moore died for WKUK DVDs to go from selling for 15-30 bucks to 80-200.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Thankfully they put up a bunch of the show on YouTube

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Thankfully they put up a bunch of the show on YouTube

Yeah but not a lot of it. If you want to watch full seasons you're poo poo out of luck. Occasionally the bubble bursts on poo poo like this so I'm going to wait a while.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but not a lot of it. If you want to watch full seasons you're poo poo out of luck. Occasionally the bubble bursts on poo poo like this so I'm going to wait a while.

i think the whole first three seasons are up actually

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those Simpsons sets with the Michael Jackson episode are all back down to $20, right?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

i think the whole first three seasons are up actually

Nope. Just various sketches.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Those Simpsons sets with the Michael Jackson episode are all back down to $20, right?

Even less and since about a month or two after all the whining. I wish I'd gotten in on that scam because that season mostly sucks anyway I was just too lazy to put it up on ebay. Fingers crossed that this happens with WKUK but that's less likely because those DVDs weren't in the kind of supply supply as Simpsons DVDs and you can get that poo poo on Disney +.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Nope. Just various sketches.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1IrdFAhed40OlQfyJ5Nh6TLO
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1Iqk6thrKuYE-TcX5hRxRXKJ
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCMQ6hczK1IqLEsxppSHMU1SNtm6-4JyT

They also have playlists for all full episodes with commentary, which is pretty awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wow, I'm stupid. Anyway I thought you were talking about the official WKUK channel. This is good. Thank you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished watching the 4K UHD of The Matrix :stwoon: Considering I didn't see it when it was in theaters, that's the best I've ever seen that movie look. No green tint or anything! And that detail, omg.

I know I'm late to this party, but after watching 2 UHDs, I'm willing to declare this the best possible home viewing experience. I'm sure I said the same thing when I first saw a Blu-Ray in action, but seriously, where does physical media even go from here?

I got Blade Runner 2049 on UHD, too, so I can't wait to watch that one sometime this weekend. While watching The Matrix, I convinced myself that I need the John Wicks (Johns Wick?) so I ordered that as well. This format is gonna take quite a bit of money from me if I let it, haha

The first UHD I watched was Transformers and I was just fixated on how clear and crisp the detail was the entire time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spacebump posted:

wait, isn't the green tint supposed to be there?

Origami Dali posted:

Nah they added it for the first blu ray to match the sequels and it looked like poo poo. Even neo's beard stubble was green.

So for the original run of VHS/DVD, they added or cranked up this jaundice green filter for all the in-matrix scenes. I had the widescreen VHS tape because I was a huge nerd but we didn't have a DVD player yet, and specifically remember it looking weird compared to how I remembered it in the theater. We were all so starved in the early DVD era for good-looking home video that "Matrix DVD looks great!" still managed to be the prevailing wisdom.

For BluRay, they kept it, but tweaked it in an effort to make it fit with the coloring of the sequels. It looked less bad but it was also obvious why they did it, and as someone indifferent to the sequels I found it frustrating.

Very glad it finally looks right.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished watching the 4K UHD of The Matrix :stwoon: Considering I didn't see it when it was in theaters, that's the best I've ever seen that movie look. No green tint or anything! And that detail, omg.

I know I'm late to this party, but after watching 2 UHDs, I'm willing to declare this the best possible home viewing experience. I'm sure I said the same thing when I first saw a Blu-Ray in action, but seriously, where does physical media even go from here?

I got Blade Runner 2049 on UHD, too, so I can't wait to watch that one sometime this weekend. While watching The Matrix, I convinced myself that I need the John Wicks (Johns Wick?) so I ordered that as well. This format is gonna take quite a bit of money from me if I let it, haha

Yeah, that's basically feelings on UHD summed up. It felt like watching DVD or HD in the era of VHS. Just such a jump from my Blu-Ray's. Even MY GIRLFRIEND, who never gave a drat about video quality admits that UHDs look really good.

Hell, I've even shown her the benefits of discs by watching Sopranos on BD vs streaming.

I've never actually seen Citizen Kane, but my dad is probably gonna grab the UHD so we'll watch it together and that will rule.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One pretty important difference with UHD for me is that I still watch plenty of stuff in 1080p, so I'll have a day or two where I watch nothing but 1080p stuff and then after that when you jump back up to 4k there's still a novelty to it. My eyes have adjusted back to 1080p so now the 4k is hitting me the same way it did when I first got into the format.

Blu ray wasn't like that. During the blu ray years I was watching everything in 1080p, including sports and most of my t.v. and streaming stuff. It was almost all 1080p for years straight. So after a while your eyes kinda just get used to it and it was harder to be wowed by it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

We were all so starved in the early DVD era for good-looking home video that "Matrix DVD looks great!" still managed to be the prevailing wisdom.

I feel like there's more to it than that. There really was a perfect storm surrounding The Matrix. The millennium was ending, the internet was new and exciting, and DVDs were a brand new technology.

It was probably one of the last block buster movies. I mean you had the sequels, and the star wars prequels, but those were more of a death knell. This movie was really the last movie I remember having a "must see" status while in theaters.

I'm pretty sure it was also one of the first DVDs that took full advantage of the format, by filling it to the brim with special features. Older DVDs were pretty much just VHS on a disc. A combination of this disc and larger TVs becoming cheaper, helped usher in the home theater.

In other words the reason the Matrix was more than just a movie everyone considered to look good, it really represented the future.

It really was the catalyst for DVD to take off, which in turn. brought other things with it such as 5.1, and 16:9 becoming home standards. Not that any of that wasn't inevitable, but I think The Matrix is what elevated DVD to what it was back then as opposed to being a more niche format like laser disc.

Looking at the list of movies from 1999 I really can't see another movie that could have been that monumental. I do have to wonder what movie, of any, could have taken it's place if The Matrix hadn't happened, and what things would be like today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To me, watching a 4K UHD is the experience of not noticing the picture quality. When I watch something on streaming or even most Blu-rays, I'm constantly noticing smearing, blotchy banding in dark scenes, DNR artifacts, etc. But with every 4K I have so far, everything just looks right and I can fully lose myself in the immersion from a picture quality standpoint.

That being said I still get up real close to the screen sometimes to marvel at the detail.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If The Matrix hadn't happened "you gotta get Blade" would have lasted a little longer and then it would have been something else. I remember The Fast And The Furious being a lot of people's first DVD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

One home video advancement that I think counts for a lot but flew under the radar is TVs that can do 24p. The horizontal pans finally look right. I miss the poo poo out of that when I'm watching something and the display is doing variable repeats. Does a lot to make film look like film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

To me, watching a 4K UHD is the experience of not noticing the picture quality. When I watch something on streaming or even most Blu-rays, I'm constantly noticing smearing, blotchy banding in dark scenes, DNR artifacts, etc. But with every 4K I have so far, everything just looks right and I can fully lose myself in the immersion from a picture quality standpoint.

Yup. The lack of banding is a big one for me. I haven’t seen the Las Vegas sequence of BR2049 on anything but UHD (and cinema), but I just know that orange haze would have tons of banding on lesser formats. The UHD is just… perfect.

However for some older movies shot on film it also makes that fact very, very clear. With Blu-Ray I don’t think the mechanics of how the film was made shine through as much, for better or worse.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My first DVD's were The Fast and the Furious and Road Trip

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I got that season at a Goodwill for $2 last year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got that season at a Goodwill for $2 last year.

There was a very brief period of time when people were paying anywhere from 50-100 dollars for that set because it was announced that the episode with Michael Jackson was permanently being taken out of syndication. Then about a month later no one gave a poo poo anymore and they went back down to about ten bucks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

feedmyleg posted:

I only just upgraded to a 4K-capable TV within the last year, and the first thing I noticed was the smudgy, pixelly banding in dark scenes with pretty much every streaming video and a few blu-rays. I actually thought my TV was hosed up, until I looked really close at my PC monitor (I split it between PC and TV for streaming) and noticed the banding there too. It's just harder to see on a smaller screen with a lower resolution.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

There was a very brief period of time when people were paying anywhere from 50-100 dollars for that set because it was announced that the episode with Michael Jackson was permanently being taken out of syndication. Then about a month later no one gave a poo poo anymore and they went back down to about ten bucks.

Oh I'm well aware of that situation. Happens anytime an episode of anything gets banned or delisted or whatever.

To be clear, I didn't get it specifically for the Michael Jackson episode. It was $2 for an amazing season that I just happen to stumble upon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

People are exceedingly stupid when it comes to movies and TV shows. Consider how HBO Max taking Gone with the Wind down briefly so they can add a disclaimer turned into "OH NO THEY'RE BANNING IT FOREVER" and everyone jumped on physical copies all of the sudden. Which is kind of hilarious because if it was such an important movie to you, don't you think it would be in your collection already? It's not even one of my favorites and I've always had a copy in my collection since getting the flipper DVD back in 2001.

Inversely, I wonder how all the idiots who burned their Beatles albums in the 60s feel now when they could use a little extra income...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People freaking out when the Dr Seuss estate decided to let some racist old material lapse out of print.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Casimir Radon posted:

People freaking out when the Dr Seuss estate decided to let some racist old material lapse out of print.

The real controversy should've been when the reprinted "The Many Mice of Mr Brice", a book that originally had pop-up, lift up flaps, pull tabs, etc., and the reprint removed all of these things

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

The extra funny was when people decided they would protest those books going OOP by buying millions of dollars worth of other books from the people who took them out of print. The ensuing outrage earned the Dr. Seuss company more money in sales than they've made in a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing had been an very well orchestrated publicity stunt made to deliberately take advantage of the right wing perpetual outrage machine.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 15, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody have problems with the Back to the Future UHDs freezing? I’m 2/2 so far. It’s probably just this stupid POS Sony UBP-X700 acting up but it’s never been this bad before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ordered the UHDs of Alien, Die Hard and Prometheus a little while ago. Jesus Christ, someone take away my wallet please :shepspends:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s a UHD of Die Hard?

Welp looks like I’m spending more money. Did they release the whole series on UHD?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a UHD of Die Hard?

Welp looks like I’m spending more money. Did they release the whole series on UHD?
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Die-Hard-4K-Blu-ray/201103/#Review

Just the original, it seems. I've already got the 5 movie collection on Blu-Ray, so I'm gonna keep that around for Die Hard With A Vengeance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Speed 4k UHD is $17 on Amazon right now. It's the lowest price I've seen it, and it's the first time I've seen it available for Prime shipping. It's the regular case, not the steelbook.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1427320025766055941

:piss:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah thats gunna be a must

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh gently caress yeah.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I didn't realize there were 5 of those films, I'm pretty sure I've only seen the first one. I'll be getting that set for sure.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The covers for the new MVD releases of Jack Frost 1 & 2 (this Dec 14) are amazing:

https://imgur.com/nkw0enK
https://imgur.com/PqJ0aHz

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Looks cool but I prefer the hologram ones I saw at Blockbuster back in the day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Looks cool but I prefer the hologram ones I saw at Blockbuster back in the day.

I have the VinSyn Lenticular of the first one. I'll probably pick up the sequel because I haven't seen it since the VHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is the actual cover they're releasing.