Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

wuggles posted:

wish the PS5 had games so this thread had posts about them

I'm up to my neck in free PS4 games and it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

part of the reason i never got a switch is because i thought it might negatively affect my ps5 thread score

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I decided to start up Intergrade to try hard mode and realized that I must not have saved my game after beating it on PS4, even though it expressly tells you to do so.

The final boss run is hard when you haven't touched the game in over a year.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

my switch has been relegated to flying/airport duty and after the last year and a half…

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres been good games for it but i only buy exclusives on there and many of them arent for me

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
gently caress the Nameless King
He's not even that bad, I got him down to about 15% once, I just hate his fuckin bird so much. Like 70% of my time is spent waiting for it to put its head low enough for me to hit it, and hoping it doesn't do that flamethrower 1-shot thing.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Anyone else finding Axiom Verge 2 a bit of a step down from the original? Melee combat doesn't feel great, enemies are super annoying, dialogue is riddled with errors, exploration feels aimless. I'll stick with it but first impressions aren't great.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

wuggles posted:

wish the PS5 had games so this thread had posts about them

I'm playing that there PS5 game Blasphemous, which is pretty good so far. I see some warning signs of it not being good, but I mean it came out years ago and they've been updating it constantly. It's gotta be good by now, yeah?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not sure what you mean. The Switch is already the perfect console and Hades is great in it.

The switch is the perfect console to put in the bin (cuz it's the only one that fits)

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

My Switch is pretty much my designated indie console with the rare exclusive, I think BotW 2 when it comes out in a loving decade is the next and last time I'll be hyped for a Switch game

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

chaleski posted:

My Switch is pretty much my designated indie console with the rare exclusive, I think BotW 2 when it comes out in a loving decade is the next and last time I'll be hyped for a Switch game

I thought mine would be too but a lot of the indies I like are platformers and the switch dpad and stick are loving terrible. Really don't like the hardware, and the only exclusive I really enjoyed was Origami King, weirdly. Not a Switch fan at all.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kazzah posted:

gently caress the Nameless King
He's not even that bad, I got him down to about 15% once, I just hate his fuckin bird so much. Like 70% of my time is spent waiting for it to put its head low enough for me to hit it, and hoping it doesn't do that flamethrower 1-shot thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274HlIJSn8w
this is bust rodd and i co-oping, you can kill the bird pretty quickly. (warning my voice is louder than the music and it sucks, and you can't hear bust)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The PC port of Vanquish had damage tied to the framerate, at least initially, so at 60fps you took twice the damage. I'll always remember because we were working hard on decoupling framerate from... everything in Yakuza 0 at the time for Sega and then they released Vanquish like that lmao.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Akuma posted:

The PC port of Vanquish had damage tied to the framerate, at least initially, so at 60fps you took twice the damage. I'll always remember because we were working hard on decoupling framerate from... everything in Yakuza 0 (or maybe Kiwami) at the time for Sega and then they released Vanquish like that lmao.

Can you get a bit more technical than this? This is fascinating.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Fix posted:

A lot of games tie a lot of things to the frame rate, which is why a Bloodborne 60 fps patch isn't that simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tqppZDYxw

gently caress, i kind of want to buy a ps4 pro to jailbreak so i can play bloodborne at 60 fps, i didn't realize lance had released the patch https://www.patreon.com/posts/47314774

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 13, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

I don't really have any insight into Vanquish. But about Yakuza? I guess it's probably been long enough and they're on another engine now... virtually everything was tied to frames rather than delta times, anything that worked with the passage of time was built to expect either 30 frames in a second, or 60 (remember it was a PS3 game, too) - but that variance was at compile time. Not everything, but virtually every system had at least something where it would say okay, at this frame, do this thing. But we wanted to make a high effort PC port because we knew PC players would want to unlock it, from our very first pitch to Sega we wanted to add everything we could to cater to that crowd because what's the point otherwise? (Sadly some things along those lines missed launch, like real ultra wide support, but we got to do that stuff properly in Kiwami and then back port it.)

Anyway, this included the various physics systems - like everything else, the engine has eleventy billion separate systems for physics. So like debris when you're fighting uses an entirely different system to the UFO catchers - and the UFO catchers were the true nightmare of development. Even today in our PC version (dunno about GamePass, that wasn't us) you can see the catcher act a little weird at very high framerates. Another example is the billiards mini game's tutorials were recorded gameplay that was replayed, but the recorded data just captured the game state for each frame, so we had to rewrite a ton to interpolate and mess with it all at runtime, INCLUDING running at lower than 60fps because the data contained commands for the game flow so you couldn't just skip frames.

In some mini games we had to artificially cap the FPS at points because it would just take far too much time to effectively rewrite the whole thing. I don't know if you know but Yakuza 0 has a lot of content and different mini games... Most of them built up in the code over the past 10 years or whatever, rewriting all that properly for the port wasn't an option. We did everything 100% diligently for the main game, though.

This is just framerate related shenanigans. Ask me about the controls some day, lmao.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Akuma posted:

Another example is the billiards mini game's tutorials were recorded gameplay that was replayed, but the recorded data just captured the game state for each frame, so we had to rewrite a ton to interpolate and mess with it all at runtime, INCLUDING running at lower than 60fps because the data contained commands for the game flow so you couldn't just skip frames.

:stare:

Wow that's really something

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

If you never have to worry about variable framerates, why do anything about it? That was fair in the PS3 era imo. I don't think they think that way anymore!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I tried to play Valkyria Chronicles at 144hz on my PC and it made the rate of fire on the weapons buggy, it made interception fire shoot way faster than normal and was pretty much overpowered. The tank kept getting stuck on things, too

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Akuma posted:

This is just framerate related shenanigans. Ask me about the controls some day, lmao.

Today's the day, guy, I will never tire of dev stories around this engine because it seems like so much a puzzle.

"Ask me about Yakuza controls?" Yes please.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Akuma posted:

I don't really have any insight into Vanquish. But about Yakuza? I guess it's probably been long enough and they're on another engine now... virtually everything was tied to frames rather than delta times, anything that worked with the passage of time was built to expect either 30 frames in a second, or 60 (remember it was a PS3 game, too) - but that variance was at compile time. Not everything, but virtually every system had at least something where it would say okay, at this frame, do this thing. But we wanted to make a high effort PC port because we knew PC players would want to unlock it, from our very first pitch to Sega we wanted to add everything we could to cater to that crowd because what's the point otherwise? (Sadly some things along those lines missed launch, like real ultra wide support, but we got to do that stuff properly in Kiwami and then back port it.)

Anyway, this included the various physics systems - like everything else, the engine has eleventy billion separate systems for physics. So like debris when you're fighting uses an entirely different system to the UFO catchers - and the UFO catchers were the true nightmare of development. Even today in our PC version (dunno about GamePass, that wasn't us) you can see the catcher act a little weird at very high framerates. Another example is the billiards mini game's tutorials were recorded gameplay that was replayed, but the recorded data just captured the game state for each frame, so we had to rewrite a ton to interpolate and mess with it all at runtime, INCLUDING running at lower than 60fps because the data contained commands for the game flow so you couldn't just skip frames.

In some mini games we had to artificially cap the FPS at points because it would just take far too much time to effectively rewrite the whole thing. I don't know if you know but Yakuza 0 has a lot of content and different mini games... Most of them built up in the code over the past 10 years or whatever, rewriting all that properly for the port wasn't an option. We did everything 100% diligently for the main game, though.

This is really interesting and i sent it to a friend who likes to whine about the ufo catcher. Did you port all of them to PC? I didn’t realize that the remastered collection was on PC, or Yakuza 6 until recently when said friend got excited because he was able to play them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fix posted:

I'm not sure how it actually works, this is just my experience from playing. Normally enemy bullets are hitscan except when you go into slowmo where they become projectiles that you can dodge. When the enemy has line of sight with you a function is used to calculate the damage their bullets are doing, probably based on how fast you are moving, how much of your body is behind cover and how long you've been out of cover.

If this function is called every frame instead of at fixed time intervals then this means the damage you take will increase with the frame rate. What it should have done is used delta time, which is the time elapsed between the previous and current frame, to scale how much damage is applied. The game was originally written to run at 30fps so the delta time would be 33.3ms, but running at 60fps would reduce the delta time to 16.67ms. Scaling the damage by delta time would mean that even if the damage is applied every frame you would be receiving half the damage per frame and therefore the same amount of damage per second. The PC version supported 120fps too so I have no idea how playtesters didn't notice the damage being multiplied by 4.

The only reason they might not use delta time is for optimisation because it requires a lot of floating-point operations. It's still pretty bad practice and can lead to a lot of issues when you mix fixed time and delta time operations together. The unpatched disc version of The Last Guardian has an uncapped framerate which hovered around 20-40fps on PS4 and PS4 Pro, but on PS5 it can run at 60 locked. This makes some puzzles impossible to complete so you have to keep patching and unpatching the game to progress since the patch added a 30fps lock. Dark Souls III had some tweaks to support 60fps which a modder was able to backport into Bloodborne.

Shadow of the Colossus used a function tied to framerate to determine how often Wander would lose his grip. Even though the PS2 and PS3 versions had a cap of 30fps, it was much harder to keep your grip in the PS3 version because the function was written assuming the game was running at 10-20fps during most battles.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

chaleski posted:

I tried to play Valkyria Chronicles at 144hz on my PC and it made the rate of fire on the weapons buggy, it made interception fire shoot way faster than normal and was pretty much overpowered. The tank kept getting stuck on things, too
All I did for this game was port it to GamePass on PC :clint: I do know someone that worked on the original port, though, ages ago. He wasn't an artist but they had him do the art for the launcher, lol. It stunk so we replaced that entirely for GamePass.

Fix posted:

Today's the day, guy, I will never tire of dev stories around this engine because it seems like so much a puzzle.

"Ask me about Yakuza controls?" Yes please.
Every single input in every single mini game and menu (there are a lot of both of them) was essentially individually hard coded at compile time - as was every single button prompt.

I think I should leave this all here lest this end up on Eurogamer or some poo poo!

bop bop perano posted:

Did you port all of them to PC?
No, we did Zero and Kiwami for Steam but Sega wanted Kiwami and Kiwami 2 to launch simultaneously and we didn't have capacity to do both, so they went with somebody else from then on. Even though our ports were consistently better reviewed! Oh well.

I do love to work with Sega, though. At this point I've done various Sonics and stuff and they're always a pleasure to work with. Great folks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Akuma posted:

If you never have to worry about variable framerates, why do anything about it? That was fair in the PS3 era imo. I don't think they think that way anymore!

The Dead Space games are locked at 30FPS on PC but someone quietly added the option to turn off Vsync, which would be awesome except it completely breaks the game and NPCs launch themselves across the room, bodybags pop around like popcorn. necromorph limbs launch themselves into the stratosphere...After playing it at 120 fps for a few hours I had to turn it off because of all that, but after that 30 felt unplayable. Sort of bittersweet. I need to play some other stuff at 30 to get my eyeballs adjusted before going back because it looked and felt so amazing at 120 but the game just does not work.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Akuma posted:

All I did for this game was port it to GamePass on PC :clint: I do know someone that worked on the original port, though, ages ago. He wasn't an artist but they had him do the art for the launcher, lol. It stunk so we replaced that entirely for GamePass.

Every single input in every single mini game and menu (there are a lot of both of them) was essentially individually hard coded at compile time - as was every single button prompt.

I think I should leave this all here lest this end up on Eurogamer or some poo poo!

Without asking details: Which mini game was the hardest port?

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 13, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bop bop perano posted:

A lot of games tie a lot of things to the frame rate, which is why a Bloodborne 60 fps patch isn't that simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tqppZDYxw

gently caress, i kind of want to buy a ps4 pro to jailbreak so i can play bloodborne at 60 fps, i didn't realize lance had released the patch https://www.patreon.com/posts/47314774

yikes, I just assumed the game felt glacial and wooden because of the 30fps but now it sounds like it's the other way around - it's intentionally all drunken and sluggish, the 30fps just hides what would be a lot of disorienting visual stiffness in 60fps - it's one thing to know you have to commit to an entire attack animation beginning to end and quite another to see 'seams' where you're clearly finished with an attack animation designed for 30fps but have a couple extra idle frames at 60fps where inputs don't register but visually should. Just padding the animations out to fit 60 fps would probably make them look cartoonishly deliberate.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

I said come in! posted:

The FROM rumor is pretty much a given, but a new Wipeout game is extremely unlikely.

how so? (curious cos i dont know the ins and outs of it other than psygnosis not being around anymore) the nick dude is the last of the legit leakers whos always been right.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Akuma posted:

Cool stuff

Oh neat, didn’t know that you guys were a subsidiary of sumo digital, along with the Chinese room. Snake Pass owns, I have it for both PS4 and Switch lol.

I also remember reading an article about someone trying to fix the lighting in 0 on PC, and releasing it, then shortly after, lab42 released an update that was better. But yeah this is all very interesting, and people should have more respect for good ports in general, it’s absurd how much people poo poo on the tiniest things (see Dark Souls remastered, also done by QLOC who did the Kiwami 2 PC port, but still, videos like this are so stupid https://youtu.be/aTEnHd0anr4 )

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

literal scam by some devs to drum up hype and they're continually delaying it so they don't get exposed. Vikar Jerome is convinced it's Half Life 3 because he read a post about it on an obscure bodybuilding forum

i stand by my sources :colbert:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

what if the new FROM ps5 game is castevania.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

this game is so loving good its unreal

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Well no worries friend because it rarely ever stays at 30!

actually stays pretty consistently at 30 on the sony playstation 5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

vikar jerome is extremely swole so i have no reason to doubt his rumors are equally swole

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bought Hades on ps5 even tho i was apprehensive since i barely touched it on switch

can confirm it was the switches fault. this game is pretty rad with good visuals and a good controller

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

this is like back in the day when old video game music was just clearly ripped from movies and music lol didnt think they were still doing that, weird. doom/metal gear/baldurs gate/sonic/mario

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

what if the new FROM ps5 game is castevania.

Come onnnnn Lost Kingdoms remaster! :rolldice:

Or, you know, Armored Core. Either-or.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Potentially dumb question: Hades on the PS5 store has the text you normally have on PS4 games - "Although this game is playable on ps5, some features available on PS4 may be absent" etc.

Is it a PS4 game that can be played on PS5? Is there a PS5 specific version? How did this get here I am not good with computers

Edit: IGNORE ME I'VE JUST BOUGHT IT AND IT GIVES OPTIONS TO DOWNLOAD EITHER THE PS5 VERSION OR THE PS4 VERSION AND I AM A DUMBASS

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm on a bubble planet in No Man's Sky and it looks phenomenal on PS5. I still need to get far enough to build an underwater base.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Flint_Paper posted:

Potentially dumb question: Hades on the PS5 store has the text you normally have on PS4 games - "Although this game is playable on ps5, some features available on PS4 may be absent" etc.

Is it a PS4 game that can be played on PS5? Is there a PS5 specific version? How did this get here I am not good with computers

Edit: IGNORE ME I'VE JUST BOUGHT IT AND IT GIVES OPTIONS TO DOWNLOAD EITHER THE PS5 VERSION OR THE PS4 VERSION AND I AM A DUMBASS

This is (I think) the case with every game that says that. The features mentioned are like, probably PSVR specific, like Hitman 3 or No Man's Sky, which have a VR mode for the PS4 versions only.

Also, I don't think anyone else has said this, because I'm probably alone in thinking this, but I love that the new store has the 'discover more games like this' section, which I always appreciate and wish the Switch had as well.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fix posted:

I'm playing that there PS5 game Blasphemous, which is pretty good so far. I see some warning signs of it not being good, but I mean it came out years ago and they've been updating it constantly. It's gotta be good by now, yeah?

Blasphemous was good when it releases and they’ve patched it up to great. I cannot recommend the Spanish VA enough, it elevates the entire thing.

bop bop perano posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274HlIJSn8w
this is bust rodd and i co-oping, you can kill the bird pretty quickly. (warning my voice is louder than the music and it sucks, and you can't hear bust)

Oh poo poo! you didn't happen to get a clip of when you died but i finished him off with a Dorys Gnawing did you? that felt electric!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 13, 2021