Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Hakkesshu posted:

Has anyone seen or even heard of Motherland Fort Salem? The synopsis says ""An army of witches train to combat terrorist threats" which I would assume would at least be entertaining in a stupid way but this is literally the first I've ever heard of it.

zoux posted:

It's....weird. It's very much a show aimed at tween/younger teen girls, but it's also about graphic depictions of battlefield trauma where these witch cadets are thrown into meat grinder situations. So, you'll have an episode where all the boys from the Boys Witch Academy go to the Girls Witch Academy for a sexy dance but the B-plot is about one of the cadets getting resurrected through necromancy and tortured for information. I watched about half of the first season, it's not great but it's better than you would think. It's like Full Metal Jacket mixed with Step Up.

This is the greatest promotional poster ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Shageletic posted:

hey does anyone have a good example of a comedy that has someone saying something ridiculous offscreen as the character onscreen tries to pretend its not happening. Feels like its a gag that's been done a bit, and I'm trying to remember one, but the only one I can remember is the one in the IT crowd when someone founds out someone is transgender while someone else is giving a press conference, and that is probably one of the worst scenes imaginable.

In Swingers, when John Favreau is paying the Pink Dot guy, Vince Vaughn and another character are doing lispy "gay" voices and pretending to hit on him from the other room.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brock Samson posted:

DAVE - I started crying for GaTa. Then I realized where he was and I REALLY started crying

For real that finale was a journey.

For some reason I've watched two season and never bothered to learn anything about his actual act, but I looked up some of his freestyles after this finale and holy gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzgjglZqS3Y

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

In Swingers, when John Favreau is paying the Pink Dot guy, Vince Vaughn and another character are doing lispy "gay" voices and pretending to hit on him from the other room.

Jesus christ.

This isn't what I was thinking of but its pretty funny,

nsfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNTSUY75E5o

and there's this small bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDPLQAwoAg&t=61s

wish i could remember what i was thinking about!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAeTxYNgsC8

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is better call saul still coming out? Where is this new season?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Final season is next year. Also Bob Odenkirk collapsed on set a couple weeks ago, so...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's like no good shows again this year...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Very inconvenient of Odenkirk to have heart problems and a global pandemic to occur

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can’t keep up on all the shows I’m watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should get a TV tracker app!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tenzarin posted:

I'm loving The White Lotus, The Good Fight, Evil, Ted Lasso
Liking Mythic Quest and Mr Corman

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I have rewatched this series more than any other HBO series (BoB would be second). It is just accurate and funny as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

You should get a TV tracker app!

I use one! It’s a big list on there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

How is Mr Corman? I like JGL, but it just doesn't seem like it has a big "hook" from everything I've seen of it.

Interestingly, it's also the first Apple+ show outside of Ted Lasso that I've seen ads for on regular TV.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started watching White Lotus and I think I hate it? Do all these people end up exploding at the end or is it just a constant slow roll of these folks having minor problems?

edit: Hates a strong word, it's mostly just very boring.

edit2: Nevermind, read the rest of the eps synopsis on Wikipedia, seems miserable without catharsis.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 13, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whelp, LOTR s2 is ditching New Zealand and is going to film in the UK instead. Apparently part of it was that the mostly British cast weren't very happy about the whole "stuck in NZ" thing due to COVID.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why would you want to be trapped in a beautiful country with no covid when you could instead be in the UK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Whelp, LOTR s2 is ditching New Zealand and is going to film in the UK instead. Apparently part of it was that the mostly British cast weren't very happy about the whole "stuck in NZ" thing due to COVID.

lol that NZ gave them a massive tax credit worth over 100mil because "It would be good for tourism!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol that NZ gave them a massive tax credit worth over 100mil because "It would be good for tourism!"

Legislatively passed a bunch of union busting laws just for LotR

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's really impressive just how thoroughly the LotR trilogy and especially the Hobbit trilogy turbofucked New Zealand's economy and did incomprehensible damage to the country's unions and workforce.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Its not even going to be like the movies where they left a bunch of stuff behind because they're shipping all the show sets to the UK.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Things were much more heathery in Beleriand

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The LOTR franchise is like a parasite on New Zealand, lmao

Anyway, watching this Malice at the Palace documentary on Netflix and it's really good!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Based on how good The Green Knight looks, good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://youtu.be/rtipQ3EsGWo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

God it’s so weird to see someone else playing Bill Clinton, that man’s face has been on television for my entire life and it’s just a little surreal to see someone playing him (seriously, obviously there have been hundreds of comedic impersonations). Ditto with Hillary, they’re just so recognizable that it’s gonna take a minute or two to adjust.

Rest of it looks great, Drudge and Coulter look perfect and I can’t wait for Eichner and McKinnon to really embrace their inner scumbag. Feldstein is a great actress and will probably kill it. I just listened to the season of Slow Burn about all of Clinton’s many scandals and it really gave me a new appreciation of what an awful shitbag Bill Clinton is so I’m really hoping this is a good enough show that his PR guy has to put out a statement condemning it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It took until episode 4 of The White Lotus but it occurred to me that the musical style and cues sounded a lot like the UK Utopia. Turns out they have the same composer. Not sure if I should be ashamed it took me 4 episodes, that I got it at all, or it means the composer has a limited range.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC Murderverse posted:

God it’s so weird to see someone else playing Bill Clinton, that man’s face has been on television for my entire life and it’s just a little surreal to see someone playing him (seriously, obviously there have been hundreds of comedic impersonations). Ditto with Hillary, they’re just so recognizable that it’s gonna take a minute or two to adjust.

They pulled it off with OJ so I’m hoping it’s the same here. I never caught S2, but drat I’m so hyped for this.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

How is Mr Corman? I like JGL, but it just doesn't seem like it has a big "hook" from everything I've seen of it. .

Wait, that's a TV show? How is there enough meat on those bones? That screamed 2hr movie to me when I watched the trailer.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whilst I'm looking forward to new ACS, I can't help but feel they stretched the definition of "Crime Story" a little far. Is lying under oath about an affair really that big of a deal? Or is there more too t than that?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Looten Plunder posted:

Whilst I'm looking forward to new ACS, I can't help but feel they stretched the definition of "Crime Story" a little far. Is lying under oath about an affair really that big of a deal? Or is there more too t than that?

Clinton has been credibly accused of sexual assault a couple times by women who aren’t Lewinski and that’s gonna play a part here like it did in the 1990s

But also yeah the impeachment is important because the people in charge of investigating could have nailed him down for actual crimes but were so blinded by partisan rage that they assumed that every wild hair they got was equally important. they basically created a situation where the public stopped caring about what he actually did wrong because it became a partisan position rather than an apolitical fact-finding, all thanks to Ken Starr

Which is quite relevant here in 2021 because the Republicans basically took the Clinton strategy with Trump and it worked pretty well because Trump’s impeachment was viewed in a similar way. It is an incredibly American crime story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Tenzarin posts messages like that a lot, they're just whinging and will say they've never heard of half of your shows.

They're a low effort troll poster.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I did not realize that Schmigadoon! was only six episodes, but i guess this is the kind of show that works best in small doses, I hope we get a second season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

Wait, that's a TV show? How is there enough meat on those bones? That screamed 2hr movie to me when I watched the trailer.

I'm quitting Mr Corman after two episodes. Too whiney and sad sack and it definitely feels like it should be a movie.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

It took until episode 4 of The White Lotus but it occurred to me that the musical style and cues sounded a lot like the UK Utopia. Turns out they have the same composer. Not sure if I should be ashamed it took me 4 episodes, that I got it at all, or it means the composer has a limited range.

Or it means that composer has a signature style and is capable of being both familiar and different at the same time.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khanstant posted:

Started watching White Lotus and I think I hate it? Do all these people end up exploding at the end or is it just a constant slow roll of these folks having minor problems?

edit: Hates a strong word, it's mostly just very boring.

edit2: Nevermind, read the rest of the eps synopsis on Wikipedia, seems miserable without catharsis.

Same. It just didn't work for me. A whole bunch of unhappiness and tension for characters I didn't find myself caring about.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've watched about half of the first season of Ted Lasso, and it's remarkable how little the show seems to care about its own premise.

I thought it was going to be about an American football coach learning how to coach soccer. Because that's a completely insane situation, for an American football coach to be coaching soccer.

But no, no it's mostly about mean Brits dealing with a sunny optimist. Barely anything at all about the inherent insanity of the club hiring a random coach who knows nothing about the sport and how crazy he would be to say yes to it too.

I'll probably keep watching it because it's very pleasant. Not very funny for an ostensible comedy but you can put it on like a warm sweater.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

gently caress yea Ted Lasso is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

But no, no it's mostly about mean Brits dealing with a sunny optimist. Barely anything at all about the inherent insanity of the club hiring a random coach who knows nothing about the sport and how crazy he would be to say yes to it too.

I feel like this gets slightly touched on more in the second half of the first season and the second season so far (mainly with a few characters actually pointing out to Ted that for the team whose life this is, that winning maybe is important also) but yeah, not a major aspect of the football show.

That being said, one reason I was really reluctant to start watching Ted Lasso was because I thought it was going to be something like Parks and Recreation and I think there's enough genuine range of human emotions in the characters (and Ted himself when we as viewers can see him with his guard down) that it prevents it from feeling like the saccharine overload/Leslie Knope Worship Circle that P&R became for most of its run. Also I think Ted Lasso's use of football is still probably more vital to its plot than politics was to P&R.