Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Orv posted:

There've been a couple court decisions in the US that amount to no one has to pay companies to display their brand/things in an artistic production, which for the purposes of those court rulings video games are. I've never been clear how much people take advantage of that or not, the rulings were in like 2007 and 2013, I wanna say and you still get plenty of fake guns, cars, what have you.

The Activision/Humvee lawsuit wasn't settled until 2020 and would be the key decider in whether or not DICE used actual gun names or fake ones. Because law moves slow and there was no guarantee when the suit would be settled, it's most likely they chose to not use real gun names just to play it safe in case the court case dragged on a year or two and then Activision lost.

Military designations, like M4, M16, ect, are not protected by IP law so that's why you see a mix of familiar and unfamiliar names in the current and last generation of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oh the install is way smaller than I thought, takes less than 10 mins to download

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FAUXTON posted:

oh the install is way smaller than I thought, takes less than 10 mins to download

There's definitely a lot of lower quality assets being used and shaders missing from the technical test build

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hamada hamada hamada

Not much what’s Hamada with you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Activision/Humvee lawsuit wasn't settled until 2020 and would be the key decider in whether or not DICE used actual gun names or fake ones. Because law moves slow and there was no guarantee when the suit would be settled, it's most likely they chose to not use real gun names just to play it safe in case the court case dragged on a year or two and then Activision lost.

Military designations, like M4, M16, ect, are not protected by IP law so that's why you see a mix of familiar and unfamiliar names in the current and last generation of games.

Ah yeah. I'm pretty sure there was another ruling on it years ago but it may not have been as generous.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Interestingly the M5 *is* real, but there's no A# revision because it's a new Colt product, and while I haven't played 2042 yet the one in the grainy chinese streamer footage looks pretty bang on for the real Colt M5 Enhanced Carbine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

Luckily there are plenty of vehicles to spawn with and I found a hybrid pickup truck that fits 4 people while running around
Hell yeah the technicals from BF2 Special Forces are back

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 13, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

having the nopats as a refugee army basically loopholes in all manner of cool anachronistic poo poo the way they find dudes in civil wars rolling with stuff that they found mothballed in a captured arsenal.

Go for it chief you captured that old PPSh and took the time to swab out all the cosmoline, might as well enjoy ventilating some jerks with it

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The United States posted:

Hell yeah the technicals from BF2 Special Forces are back

I'm not the only one that played the Special Forces expansion???

Fun fact: My experience with Battlefield 2 was delayed significantly because my parents got me the expansion for Christmas in 05 instead of the base game. :doh:

So I kept playing the demo for some number of months until I saved up and got BF2 for realsies!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Datamining in effect

https://twitter.com/temporyal

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1426199567217926146

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1426192875356934149

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1426202935432728577

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Here is the best footage yet. Clear as day, the player has a good framerate and is actually able to play. He is in a chopper raining down hell on things, and it gives you a really good view of the entire map from high up. I want this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIbn-dyUaY&t=10s

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 13, 2021

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Well Hazard Zone sure sounds an awful lot like Tarkov, which I'm 100% on board for.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

henpod posted:

Here is the best footage yet. Clear as day, the player has a good framerate and is actually able to play.

The size of the tracer rounds makes it look like those old school side-scrolling shoot them ups.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the things about BF that bothers me the most and I was reminded of it when the guy took seemingly half a dozen rockets to kill that one guy, is how vehicle artillery can be so ineffective against infantry. I've got tons of one hit kills with the LAV but so many more where I light em up and get nothing. The secondary tank MG taking all day to kill someone. And, to my mind, a gun mounted on a tank ought to have considerably less recoil than a gun in someones hands? Doesn't that make sense? Likewise with the attack chopper rockets, my god you shouldn't need 4 or 5 to kill someone, and there ought to be reasonable splash damage. I know its all in the interest of balance but why not make the vehicles stronger and make repairing harder? Explosive ammo meant to cripple literal loving tanks oughta work just fine on human flesh

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im a colossal dipshit and completely misunderstood the AI. Every time i thought I was getting killed by the AI, i instead was killed by a human. In my defense, when u get killed, it shows the player icon in the corner, and the only icon players have right now is one that literally says "AI"

Now that I know what the AI looks like, I realize that I havent interacted with it that much to notice if its good or not. my bad guys

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Because it's an arcade shooter and realism is often very boring

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Live At Five! posted:

Well Hazard Zone sure sounds an awful lot like Tarkov, which I'm 100% on board for.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My guess is it will be closer to the Dark Zone in the Division.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

codo27 posted:

One of the things about BF that bothers me the most and I was reminded of it when the guy took seemingly half a dozen rockets to kill that one guy, is how vehicle artillery can be so ineffective against infantry. I've got tons of one hit kills with the LAV but so many more where I light em up and get nothing. The secondary tank MG taking all day to kill someone. And, to my mind, a gun mounted on a tank ought to have considerably less recoil than a gun in someones hands? Doesn't that make sense? Likewise with the attack chopper rockets, my god you shouldn't need 4 or 5 to kill someone, and there ought to be reasonable splash damage. I know its all in the interest of balance but why not make the vehicles stronger and make repairing harder? Explosive ammo meant to cripple literal loving tanks oughta work just fine on human flesh

It's an arcade video game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

henpod posted:

Here is the best footage yet. Clear as day, the player has a good framerate and is actually able to play. He is in a chopper raining down hell on things, and it gives you a really good view of the entire map from high up. I want this game.

I was all ready to grouse about the Little Birds being hella OP again until I saw him get one hit by a stinger :swoon:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I was all ready to grouse about the Little Birds being hella OP again until I saw him get one hit by a stinger :swoon:

The reload speed on those rockets is pretty ridiculous though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

:colbert: realism isn't part of the Battlefield experience and the overwhelming majority of the playerbase would not find it fun at all

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How come when I get shot in the torso my character doesn’t fall to the ground and force me to spend the next 30 minutes slowly bleeding to death as I contemplate all the choices in my life. This game is stupid.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

:colbert: realism isn't part of the Battlefield experience and the overwhelming majority of the playerbase would not find it fun at all

Codo has held this opinion for literally years, he's like a walking catch-22: either the game is too arcadey or abstracted and he doesn't like it for those reason (see: BF, COD), or the game is like squad or arma and it's too nerdy/grognardy/esoteric and not enough people play it for him to bother

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I hope '83 eventually comes out

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RCarr posted:

How come when I get shot in the torso my character doesn’t fall to the ground and force me to spend the next 30 minutes slowly bleeding to death as I contemplate all the choices in my life. This game is stupid.

https://youtu.be/yuTkgi7scKo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

From the clips and descriptions, the bots look tough as nails. I think one sniped the guy out of the helicopter in the clip up the page.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

anyone know how to get better fps in the beta? changing resolutions and settings barely seems to have an effect

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Booyah- posted:

anyone know how to get better fps in the beta? changing resolutions and settings barely seems to have an effect

its locked at 30fps

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its locked at 30fps

okay thats what I figured

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its locked at 30fps

It's not, some people are experiencing that for some reason but my gameplay yesterday was only 30 FPS in the main menu

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

It's not, some people are experiencing that for some reason but my gameplay yesterday was only 30 FPS in the main menu

any key settings you changed?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Booyah- posted:

any key settings you changed?

I left everything as is except I turned off all the filmic effects, v-sync, and future frame rendering. Left resolution scale at 43% because that's native and has been a bug in Frostbite betas forever

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

codo27 posted:

Vehicles aren't oppressive enough is a weird take.

OG Red Orchestra had vehicles that worked like this; but to make it work and be fun in a much more unforgiving game it also had

No 3rd Person camera

Terrible visibility while buttoned up

An intentionally awkward control scheme for the turret that was keyboard only

Limited ammunition that was split into HE and AP

Required multiple people to operate

Died to a single well placed panzerfaust or ATR hit.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2021

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

People might be seeing a '30 fps lock' if they have v-sync enabled but can't reach 60 fps.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Mirror because it was made private

https://streamable.com/z7e8ts

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I saw something that looked like you had the ability to change your ammo on the fly - light/medium/heavy/AP/extended-mag versions of same, not all present on all weapons though. Not sure how much damage the AP stuff would do to an armored vehicle but the video showed the player was clearly doing damage with their LMG and it was very obviously able to penetrate the APC's cockpit to damage the driver/passengers inside as it was popping up red hit markers in the crosshairs as opposed to the white squared-off ones for regular vehicle damage.

I want to see how effective it is against a littlebird because we've already established you can carry an LMG and a stinger while also being a medic (no bag, just the heal pistol though)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gently caress SNEEP posted:

People might be seeing a '30 fps lock' if they have v-sync enabled but can't reach 60 fps.

vsync is off (though I should try forcing that in the nvidia settings as well) and I have a pretty beefy machine so 60fps should be no problem at low settings

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It appears this game looks like a battlefield game,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

is there any word on how spotting is in-game? BF5's 'i saw a tank over there' way of doing things felt like an overcorrection but 4 and 1 sometimes come off as too generous.