Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

I’ve fallen asleep several times listening to jorbs.

Is this a good idea? Well it depends on the circumstance. Yeah but is it generally good? Well it depends on how you define generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Murgos posted:

He's super relaxing :allears:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shine posted:

He's super relaxing :allears:

More like boring. He sounds half asleep and bored.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Murgos posted:

I fall asleep to jorbs like 3 or 4 nights a week.

I put on his latest youtube video and let his precise dry cynicism carry me off to sleep.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If either of you ever have serious sleep problems, throw on Lifecoach.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ASAPRockySituation posted:

If either of you ever have serious sleep problems, throw on Lifecoach.

Wut? You couldn't go ten minutes in his stream without hearing "BA-BA-BAM! POW!" as he roleplayed whatever move he was using to kill an enemy. I said once that bedtime stories for the Lifekids must be fun; his wife replied "it is, but it doesn't help them get to sleep".

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dude, he takes so long to do anything that he could be screaming EVIL KENIEVEL every 5 seconds and I would fall asleep.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Dude, he takes so long to do anything that he could be screaming EVIL KENIEVEL every 5 seconds and I would fall asleep.

He took so long to do "everything" because he spent two thirds of his time roasting chat. This was intentional - he wanted chat to discuss the plays, partly so he knew what he needed to explain about his decision and partly in case they saw something that he had missed. The actual number of decisions that he really had to take time over was maybe five or six per run. On his retirement stream chat challenged him to do a speedrun and he polished it off fast enough to get the achievement.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

I can't point you to any guides or anything, but maybe watch some of the streamers on YouTube? Here is Baalorlord doing a Defect run with only 3 energy and complete poo poo for relics, so maybe fast forward to the end to see how it goes. And I mean poo poo relics. He literally survived the Heart with 1 hit point thanks to Blood Vial and only got the card that won the run thanks to Dream Catcher. It's wild.

Thanks. I've literally watched every single A20 Baalorlord run since A20 became a thing. That's why I think I've forgetten something. I cruised up to A19 fairly smoothly and I'm not dying on bosses particularly disproportionately. I think I need a heart kill strategy reminder as I get to the heart about 1/3 the time.

I'll check out those jorbs loss analysis

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Maybe it's less to do with deck building and more to do with in-battle decisions? Getting better at the fights themselves helped me get wins from decks that would have failed previously (not that I'm even at A20 yet but it's all relative).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flayer posted:

Maybe it's less to do with deck building and more to do with in-battle decisions? Getting better at the fights themselves helped me get wins from decks that would have failed previously (not that I'm even at A20 yet but it's all relative).

The only difference between A19 and A20 is the second Act 3 boss. The reason the win rate falls off is because at A19 players can spend Act 3 tuning their deck perfectly for the final boss. At A20 you have to be prepared to face any of the final bosses. This is a much trickier proposition that requires compromises, and only becomes harder if the first boss is Donu/Deca because it's the other two fights that put up the most impediments to choice.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Decided to get silent up to A20, and boy is it a whole different meta act 1. They start with such a strong defensive suite that you really have to emphasize damage for that first act. Multiple runs have completely eaten poo poo against an a19 laughoutloudagain purely because it ground me to dust before I could kill it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Decided to get silent up to A20, and boy is it a whole different meta act 1. They start with such a strong defensive suite that you really have to emphasize damage for that first act. Multiple runs have completely eaten poo poo against an a19 laughoutloudagain purely because it ground me to dust before I could kill it.

Also if you get early poison stuff, or blade dances you WILL get gremlin nob as your first and maybe third elite

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Hello thread. I have been playing StS since 2018. I set myself the goal of defeating a run on ascension 20, which I've slowly been building to. I beat ascension 18 and 19 in back to back runs last month, but I've hit a wall where I can't beat act 3 boss no. 2. I'm doing all the asc 20 runs as Silent because that's been my most succesful run-winner (lol poison catalyst+ decks) but maybe there's an easier char to run, stats wise? Welcome input there.

This is probably the greatest replayable rogue-like I've ever played after Faster Than Light. I love this game so much.

Also Jorbs is cool and good. Best chill runs. I don't always understand his choices but I wish I did because drat, it ends up working out for him in the long run. What a brain.

droll fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Watcher is probably easiest, I think Silent and Ironclad are pretty similar since the shiv buffs. Defect is definitely the most difficult in my experience so far, I still haven't managed the A20 heart kill.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
a20 heart kill isn't an achievement is it? if not gently caress that noise

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I had the easiest time with Silent for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. Clearest, simplest path to an A20 win for me was Wraith Form + Catalyst + poison + one more busted thing. Like a Nightmare or another Wraith Form or something. And runs like this are happy to take either Runic Pyramid or Snecko Eye, which is great.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm trying to do A19 Silent and god, it sucks.

Act 2 is so loving overtuned. Why does every enemy do everything and why do I have to fight all of them back-to-back except the second time they have a loving Cultist or a Spore Beast to help them out? :ughh:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

Watcher is probably easiest, I think Silent and Ironclad are pretty similar since the shiv buffs. Defect is definitely the most difficult in my experience so far, I still haven't managed the A20 heart kill.

IMO Watch >>> IC = Defect > Silent

The Watcher default deck can pretty much handle anything in act1 so she's free to start building her deck for the long run right from the start and this makes everything much easier. The Silent has the worst deck for act1 so that's enough for me to consider her last, since she needs to pick whatever damage is thrown at her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

The Watcher default deck can pretty much handle anything in act1 so she's free to start building her deck for the long run right from the start and this makes everything much easier. The Silent has the worst deck for act1 so that's enough for me to consider her last, since she needs to pick whatever damage is thrown at her.

I find that Watcher does struggle with the boss gauntlet at the end but yeah everything up until then is so much easier that it still works out in her favor.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

trucutru posted:

Masterful Stab is really bad when everything never stops attacking, as it turns out!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

trucutru posted:

The Silent has the worst deck for act1 so that's enough for me to consider her last, since she needs to pick whatever damage is thrown at her.

That's pretty much the case for Defect, too. They both have a lot more good skills than good attacks, so high ascension nob is a huge gently caress you. I give the nod to Silent overall because at least she has a few clear plausible plans for the heart. Defect is just full of cards that actively work against each other and pretty much has to rely on frost orbs + loop, as far as I can tell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Irony.or.Death posted:

That's pretty much the case for Defect, too. They both have a lot more good skills than good attacks, so high ascension nob is a huge gently caress you. I give the nod to Silent overall because at least she has a few clear plausible plans for the heart. Defect is just full of cards that actively work against each other and pretty much has to rely on frost orbs + loop, as far as I can tell.

Defect is way easier to beat the Heart with than Silent ime. Defect has a lot of ways to just get gently caress you infinite block passively while a lot of successful Silent decks can coast through everything until the heart stops them dead because 1 Wraith form isn't enough.

I find Defect the easiest class to win with by far though. I have multiple A20 wins on it while the others I haven't even gotten to A20 :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, once Defect chooses to stop taking damage, he stops taking damage forever. Wraith Form gets you through one cycle of the Heart.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

After Image does a lot more work than Wraith Form if you're going for the heart. I don't know what the Defect can do that's really comparable, and also capable of making it out of act 1 + past sword and spear. Everything I can put together that can get to act 4 is just too bloated to get going in the 1 turn of setup you have to work with.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Irony.or.Death posted:

After Image does a lot more work than Wraith Form if you're going for the heart. I don't know what the Defect can do that's really comparable, and also capable of making it out of act 1 + past sword and spear. Everything I can put together that can get to act 4 is just too bloated to get going in the 1 turn of setup you have to work with.

At high ascensions (I think A19?), After Image doesn't even block Beat of Death fully. It still helps, of course, but unless you have two of them it does significantly less work than Wraith Form or a buttload of Frost will.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, it's A19+.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're all scaring me. Been plateaued on A18 with Silent for a while. Longest plateau in a while.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Irony.or.Death posted:

After Image does a lot more work than Wraith Form if you're going for the heart. I don't know what the Defect can do that's really comparable

In my last defect run I was getting 110 block for zero energy and zero cards each turn. The defect defensive skills are the best in the game, it's main issue is that it's scaling damage either interferes with the the defense or is a bit clunky and slow to put online.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Defect defensive skills are good, but they aren't Entrench, and Entrench is by far the best defensive skill in the game.

Also the best skill for maximizing damage dealt. :v:

What other card can give you +499 block and +499 damage for a single energy?

It's true that Defect's stuff is less conditional on getting a good deck though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Defect has the best card in the game, though.

Claw.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I just beat A19 Defect a few days ago and maybe it's because Silent has such a hard time in act 1 but Defect definitely feels easier to me. They both suffer against Nob but I find it much easier to burst him as defect. The sentinels however suck if I've picked up too much random damage or Dualcast spreads out damage too much.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’ve been stuck on A19 Silent for a week or so. The starter deck is so bad that I just abandon the run if I don’t pick up a few decent cards within the first few fights.

Every time I’ve made it to the end of Act 3 I have a shiv deck against Time Eater and I just die.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

Defect has the best card in the game, though.

Claw.

Weird way to spell Clash.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
But a decently built shiv deck absolutely wrecks the time eater.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Deckit posted:

I just beat A19 Defect a few days ago and maybe it's because Silent has such a hard time in act 1 but Defect definitely feels easier to me. They both suffer against Nob but I find it much easier to burst him as defect. The sentinels however suck if I've picked up too much random damage or Dualcast spreads out damage too much.

Frost orbs are amazingly good against sentinels.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Frost orbs are amazingly good against sentinels.

Yeah, but that's really only if I pick up a glacier. I don't usually pick up the other frost generators early in act 1.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Defect defensive skills are good, but they aren't Entrench, and Entrench is by far the best defensive skill in the game.

Also the best skill for maximizing damage dealt. :v:

What other card can give you +499 block and +499 damage for a single energy?

It's true that Defect's stuff is less conditional on getting a good deck though.

The replacement for the default Defect relic gives you never ending block for zero energy and zero cards. :smugdog:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Deckit posted:

Yeah, but that's really only if I pick up a glacier. I don't usually pick up the other frost generators early in act 1.

Cold Snap is pretty good in Act 1, though yeah, Coolheaded isn't fantastic that early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Damage plus block is good in every act. Go in peace