Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

esselfortium posted:

if you don't want shinji to be a frustrating protagonist, don't watch the rebuild movies where he is way more of one

no he isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

esselfortium posted:

if you don't want shinji to be a frustrating protagonist, don't watch the rebuild movies where he is way more of one
What about reading Shinji x Warhammer?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Grouchio posted:

What about reading Shinji x Warhammer?

shinji doesn't need to be some hotblooded badass, he needs mentally healthy individuals he can talk to.

like it's incredibly frustrating hearing people bitch about shinji and calling him a pussy, forgetting that he's a broken as gently caress individual and that he DID get in the robot

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This was literally part of the plot of one of the Super Robot Wars games, I believe.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

This was literally part of the plot of one of the Super Robot Wars games, I believe.

I know, and it's fantastic

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Willo567 posted:

no he isn't

*clears throat loudly*
yes he is

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i haven't watched 3.0+1.0 yet because i'm holding out for a theatrical release because i'm annoying nerd, so i don't know how this plays out in the end, but in the previous rebuild movies shinji does embrace getting in the robot and every time he does it only makes things worse. this also happens a couple of times in the series and eoe, but is made more explicit in rebuild

maybe the series is trying to communicate something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've never felt frustrated with shinji but i've also never gone into something eva-related expecting a story about people making good decisions after being supplied with a sufficient amount of information and time to know what they're doing is smart. unless it's like one of the many evangelion video games where the core gameplay conceit is having to guide eva characters into making good decisions. i guess that's the actual premise of those in the first place.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Speaking of guiding a mech pilot around, anyone know if there was ever an English patch for the patlabor video game?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I wish there was an english patch for the Macross, Votoms and Tetsujin-28 games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious posted:

Speaking of guiding a mech pilot around, anyone know if there was ever an English patch for the patlabor video game?

which one, there are a ton. the only one that's been tled is the famicom disk system game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope the cross ange lesbian dating sim where half of the endings are you getting gay married gets tled some day, when vita emulation picks up

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Colonel posted:

which one, there are a ton. the only one that's been tled is the famicom disk system game

I thought there was only one patlabor game 🤷🏻

It was either overhead or three-quarter view, and all I know is that you drive the command truck for part of it.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

The Colonel posted:

i hope the cross ange lesbian dating sim where half of the endings are you getting gay married gets tled some day, when vita emulation picks up

same

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

whole lotta people posting about changing stair's avatar without doing it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nobody ever asks me what I want

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stairmaster posted:

Nobody ever asks me what I want

What do you want Stairmaster?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's a sort of narrative dissonance in NGE where the text of the story is that getting in the robot is awful and emotionally traumatizing and oh also it actually hurts when you take damage, but animated robot fights are super cool and awesome

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk I think the toy commercial criticism works for gundam, but almost every fight in eva outside of a couple early outliers ends in someone (usually maya) being disgusted to the point of vomiting at the mildest, if not being subjected to some kind of horror like getting turned to goo or being physically and mentally eviscerated by robovultures

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they're well animated but almost always a miserable time for Shinji

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

There's a sort of narrative dissonance in NGE where the text of the story is that getting in the robot is awful and emotionally traumatizing and oh also it actually hurts when you take damage, but animated robot fights are super cool and awesome
this is true of basically every mecha anime with that kinda angle, from gundam 0079 onwards. i think the only series ive really seen get it right is votoms, where the idea is soldiers are disposable and weak individually and htis is proven by the fact that theres an episode where the protag, in his mech, nearly loses a fight to a dozen guys on motorcycles firing small arms at him and chucking molotovs.

zeorymer also kinda gets it right because the idea is that the titular mech is too powerful to be in humanitys hands and this is proven by every single fight being

i dont think its really a big problem tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

idk I think the toy commercial criticism works for gundam, but almost every fight in eva outside of a couple early outliers ends in someone (usually maya) being disgusted to the point of vomiting at the mildest, if not being subjected to some kind of horror like getting turned to goo or being physically and mentally eviscerated by robovultures
yeah but both before and after that happens the giant robot fights are still rad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres only two characters that ever express that evas are cool, kensuke and asuka, and asuka doesn't think that for very long. and kensuke, that guys a nerd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

theres only two characters that ever express that evas are cool, kensuke and asuka, and asuka doesn't think that for very long. and kensuke, that guys a nerd
theres only one character who expresses that ritsuko is hot, that doesnt mean shes wrong!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

maya is never wrong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure Kaji does too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/moimoiland480/status/1426317640901922816?s=20

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
evangelion was made by mecha nerds who loved victory gundam, and at the end of the day, anyone who makes mecha anime wants the mechs to get legendarily sick fight scenes

unless it's geneshaft i think geneshaft is the one anime robot that is like purpose designed to be literally impossible to make look cool in an actual fight

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 14, 2021

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
with eva there's kind of a difference in feeling between the original series' action scenes & the rebuilds where there's a lot of action scenes that are there entirely to be cool spectacles & have less relation to the characters themselves etc.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think robots looking cool in spite of being in awful or futile conflicts is any more a flaw than people thinking a villain is cool and interesting despite clearly being bad or wrong tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but also yeah, eva TV/EoE honestly doesn't have that many straightforward "cool" fights. Even when it's not a horrorshow it's stuff like "asuka tries to not die in a goofy lava suit" or "we Danced To Win and still looked like dipshits at the end"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if there's a figure/statue thread, but Figurama just put up preorders for their Dorohedoro diorama, and it's really, really nice(filthy) looking

feel like I'm stepping into the abyss, buying my first anime statue. but I love dorohedoro, and there's like, no merch for it at all, least compared to other series.

edit: drat while I was typing up this post they've already sold half of them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
living within walking distance of every bar and restaurant in town will be the death of me

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

verbal enema posted:

living within walking distance of every bar and restaurant in town will be the death of me

:cheers: and:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno if there's a figure/statue thread, but Figurama just put up preorders for their Dorohedoro diorama, and it's really, really nice(filthy) looking

feel like I'm stepping into the abyss, buying my first anime statue. but I love dorohedoro, and there's like, no merch for it at all, least compared to other series.

edit: drat while I was typing up this post they've already sold half of them.

I remember seeing some Dorohedoro merch at the end of the volumes and was absolutely gutted i couldn't get it anymore