Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oooh, is that how it works.

So if you put two scientists on the same station, it'll only take the highest cumulative number?

Edit: Update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Correct. Putting two scientists on the same station wouldn't do any good in any scenario I can imagine. For each research category, you'll want your best scientist for it at the best location for it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Strategic Sage posted:

Correct. Putting two scientists on the same station wouldn't do any good in any scenario I can imagine. For each research category, you'll want your best scientist for it at the best location for it.

interesting. I did not know that either.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

I can only think of one - your best science nerd and a less good scientist with Inspiring Presence (the one that gives bonus XP for other characters at the same location)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You have a great pun in Reesearch Station.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gently caress off Batman posted:

You have a great pun in Reesearch Station.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tried restarting to build some explorers that are like your explorers and not garbage.

My starting leader has -32% to colony happiness.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tried restarting to build some explorers that are like your explorers and not garbage.

My starting leader has -32% to colony happiness.

-32%... that is pure pain.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yeow! I don't think I've ever seen one nearly that bad.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Very interesting game, thanks for LPing this.

Is it just me, or does this feel like Aurora with a better GUI?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

You're welcome!

It's often compared to Aurora, but I don't really see it that way. I view it on a continuum with Stellaris or whatever 4X du jour you want to put on that end, Distant Worlds in the middle, and Aurora on the other end of the spectrum. There's more game in Distant Worlds than Aurora, and more simulation than in Stellaris et al. I don't think it does the simulation aspect nearly as well as Aurora does, but it's definitely got more of a GUI and also the additional factions, victory conditions etc (that's a whole other ball of wax that we haven't gotten to yet) are far more fleshed out.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Unpacking the Galactic Economy (17:56)

Taking a look at all the resource insanity and what all the numbers for the planet details mean, how they interact, etc. The semi-confusing topic of Energy Collectors and our first Research Station up and running also feature. With that sorted, it's time to explore the surrounding sectors in earnest and move more quickly towards Gerax Hyperdrive.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Early-Warp Weapons & Exploration (22:15)

We meet a new kind of space creature and are introduced to our first rival empire. A discussion of early weapons systems is largely a moot point since we don't yet have the range to do much fighting, but it's worth looking at regardless to give ourselves a foundation. The galaxy is about to open up to us though with the impending discovery of Gerax Hyperdrives, and soon after the Ikkuros will endeavor to take our rightful place among the galaxy's elite ... or die trying. The introductory period of Distant Worlds is now over and the struggle for the future will begin in earnest.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Look, you can claim that there's nothing interesting going on in the NC17 system, but I'm pretty sure you're just trying to avoid Youtube deleting your channel.

EDIT
When you get enough money to literally throw it away on vanity projects, you should build a resort base there.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'm still catching up on the videos, but I just want to let you know that your commentary is really good and informative! I don't even mind but being unable to read the text because you explain what's going on so well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I really appreciate that - I'm definitely aiming for it to be informative, glad it's hit the mark for you so far.

Veryslightlymad posted:

you can claim that there's nothing interesting going on in the NC17 system, but I'm pretty sure you're just trying to avoid Youtube deleting your channel.

lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Even as someone who has played a good bit, seeing a different perspective is very helpful.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Racial Distinctives, Diplomacy, & Victory Conditions (27:09)

Virtually nothing happens in this episode, which is dedicated to a forward-looking deep dive regarding our place in the galaxy amongst other empires. Once we start to meet more of them, the at-time chaotic dynamism of Distant Worlds will begin to take off. Next up, it's time to begin or at the very least make final preparations for the Pirate Wars. Conflict is pretty much inevitable for a while here, a peaceful solution with the interlopers isn't an option.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Beginning the Pirate Wars (28:55)

Pushing back against the galaxy's version of organized crime that occupies too much of what is *our* rightful territory ... because reasons that we'll retroactively make up later ... has begun. We now have a Fleet Admiral, and are beginning to find Black Holes which are tricky to exploit but worth it because apparently the galactic tourism business just can't enough of them. The process of building a serious early space navy is now underway, and we kick the interlopers out of the Kurbus system with more to come. A couple of new fortuitous discoveries are made, and the time to occupy other balls of matter - previously occupied and otherwhise - is fast approaching.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I've had this game for ages, and I'm learning soo much from your videos, great work!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

Beginning the Pirate Wars (28:55)

Pushing back against the galaxy's version of organized crime that occupies too much of what is *our* rightful territory ... because reasons that we'll retroactively make up later ... has begun. We now have a Fleet Admiral, and are beginning to find Black Holes which are tricky to exploit but worth it because apparently the galactic tourism business just can't enough of them. The process of building a serious early space navy is now underway, and we kick the interlopers out of the Kurbus system with more to come. A couple of new fortuitous discoveries are made, and the time to occupy other balls of matter - previously occupied and otherwhise - is fast approaching.

What normally happens when you auto-build a base near a black hole? Does the ship just come in too close and jump away or?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for doing this. I’ve had the game for some years and fired it only once or twice before being overwhelmed

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Veloxyll posted:

What normally happens when you auto-build a base near a black hole? Does the ship just come in too close and jump away or?

They often get sucked in and destroyed.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Veloxyll posted:

Bloodly has the right answer, unless you get lucky with where they warp in, they can't escape the vortex and blow up.

Good to hear from those of you who are enjoying this!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ok so I want to get some feedback on something. As mentioned I've been pretty fortunate in this run so far, but that dial got turned up when a special gift was discovered shortly after the end of this episode. While exploring ruins we discovered the Way of the Ancients, a government type that unlike the starting ones is not semi-balanced but intentionally somewhat OP. It's better in almost every way than our Monarchy, and can only be used by the first empire to discover it much like artifacts in Master of Orion; you can easily go through many games and never have the chance to use it. In a number of test games I was never the first race to discover this.

Changing to Way of the Ancients would be effectively hitting the Easy Button at this point. I'm still inclined to do it, partly because it would make it easier and faster to get through more of the tech tree which is one of my primary goals here, but it will cheapen the challenge and to my knowledge almost guarantee a win. I'm spoilering this a bit here in case some of you may have good reasons why I should avoid making the switch for LP purposes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

IMO good and bad map rolls are part of it, I'm sure the game will find a way of making you pay.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Do it. I'm more keen to see the game mechanics shown off than I am to see a challenging run

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Sure, go nuts.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whoa, that's not guaranteed? I've never not gotten that.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

In several test games I never got it once. Or to be more specific, was able to use it. Everything I can find on it indicates you can still get the government type from the ruins if you aren't the first, but you can't actually use it if somebody else got there first.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 22, 2021

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Absolutely use Way of the Anciencs.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
You did more than your fair share of painful grinding with your Imperium Galactica LP so have some fun here.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

It's been a near-universal response here, on discord, and on YouTube so I'll be transitioning at the start of the next episode and we'll see just how much that changes the situation.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, I do hope that it moves pirates from very annoying problem to "Pests. Squishable right now"

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

An Ancient Secret & Fleet Automation/Deployment Concepts (24:48)

Due to the fun with Way of the Ancients and also our first bit of pushback from the pirates, we didn't actually get very far timewise and colonization will wait till the next episode. But we're making lots of cashola now, expanding the navy faster, and generally progressing more quickly. The pirates have been kicked out of all of our territory, and we'll aim to start taking out their bases soon as well as expanding said territory. Eventually that will mean we'll need more tools for deploying the military, so we take a look at some of the fleet automation controls.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

NHO posted:

I do hope that it moves pirates from very annoying problem to "Pests. Squishable right now"

Sooner, but not immediate. They can tend to be fairly stubborn and their bases require a decent-sized force to squish.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I am in love with my patrol frigates. I set about 50 of them to automate, no fleet, and they just pop around doing what ever. Proportions are 5% armor, 10% shields, 3 engines per 100 hull, 2 boarding pods per 100 hull, a tractor beam, hyper deny when i get the tech, then power, weapons to fill the rest. They are about 500-700 size. I lose a few every so often, but with capture settings have them snagging pirate frigates, and if its better tech? hey, I'm advancing by ripping it apart for tech. If its par or worse? I got a new Patrol Frigate. Last time I checked, I had 100 of the things.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That sounds fun! Is there anything special you did to make that work, from what I can tell the settings for automated capture don't make anything happen when I was testing that (i.e. they were still destroying ships left and right and not capturing them no matter what I set it to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Well this is the earliest design I could find in my saves, I dont have a tractor beam on it yet, Id likely make room by pulling a maneuver jet out and one of the missiles for it. Trace Scanner allows me to spot pirate smugglers as its popping from port to port. I think. I also have them on my ports and that might be a placebo effect. The prox sensor will show ships popping about at ftl. I tested that by having my ships park in other people's space and you can see ships flitting about on their trade lanes.

My current boarding and capture settings.

And because I'm proud of this little rear end in a top hat, my spy corvette. Park it in a no resource star anywhere you want, it will likely not get spotted, even by their long range sensors as no one has a reason to go to those systems.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 28, 2021