Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Actual mysticism symbols: usually laden with meaning, seem arbitrary at first but when you know the context serve as a short-hand for the entire concept. The handsign for as-above-so-below seems like a meaningless cool pose but with some basic context it makes sense and serves as a focus for the concept, a shorthand.

Magic symbols look like random gibberish but the point is they encapsulate broader concepts succinctly they have long etymologies of WHY these squiggles represent this-or-that or at least ONE source an origin. They serve to both hide information by being obtuse to the uninitiated and transmit information by being a shorthand for those in the know.

Mookie?

Order's the loving cube you draw in your highschool notebook because it has a lot of right angles.

Mystery will be the stussy S, omnipresence will be a Kilroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

There now wasn't that worth the wait?

Ok this might be a bit of a reach here but this reminded me of this...

And now I'm wondering if Mookie saw The Void and is using ideas from it. Making abstract cosmic entities represented by simple geometric shapes, for instance, is done in the movie with a cosmic Eldritch horror being represented by a simple triangle.

The movie also came out in 2016, so that's plenty of time for Mookie to watch it while still formulating an idea of what this comic will be about. And Mookie has attempted to play around with Lovecraftian monsters and concepts before. AND that page with Snout and Corpsewife staring at the sinister triangle comes drat near close to a scene that actually happens in the movie.

It's a reach, but there's just enough stuff lining up that I thought I'd bring it up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness to the Cool S, it predates Stussy and we still have no idea where it came from originally.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Somewhere cool, most likely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness to the Cool S, it predates Stussy and we still have no idea where it came from originally.

It's an ancient rune from a forgotten civilization that has been embedded in our genetic memory. Some day it will be the key to unlock the mysteries of the universe.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who the gently caress is "stussy"?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Urban/surf clothing brand, popular in the 90s. At my Californian middle school we all called the Cool S the "Stussy S" even though it was never used in their products. I guess that was a nationwide trend.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Guy who owns a surfwear company.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Dreams don't need to flow or make sense, they are ~DrEaMz!!!!~

Even my dreams make more sense than this and I'm a gibbering maniac.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh hey more recaps

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cumming from my friend?
cumming for my friend?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I feel like the fact that Mookie has to spend a page telling us what we just saw really says a lot about his skills as a cartoonist

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Corpsemomwife isn't even awake yet how does he know they had a shared dream? Just because she was in it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He used that traced bed picture AGAIN.

Also gotta make sure we always see his limp dick and balls

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe Snout should look a little more upset from that nightmare where his friend was being attacked? Stressed out a little...maybe some sweating?

No? Just have him look like he woke up an hour before the alarm goes off? Ok mookie

Codependent Poster posted:

He used that traced bed picture AGAIN.

lol that actually might explain the lack of effort in Snout's reaction. Didn't want to change the trace too much

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 13, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Snout doesn't care about other people unless it gets him attention and praise

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Yeah if no ones awake to see him be concerned why bother looking concerned

also ofc he knows it was a shared dream because mookie does

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"my friend"

She still does not have a name.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Shows real confidence to spend a full page spelling out all the questions and plot developments the last two pages tried to convey.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bismuth posted:

also ofc he knows it was a shared dream because mookie does

Ah of course, I can't believe I forgot that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TheHan posted:

Shows real confidence to spend a full page spelling out all the questions and plot developments the last two pages tried to convey.

If you know a better way to make a comic without dialogue I'd like to hear it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's incredible to compare this comic to something good like killsixbillion demons, where in 10 pages so much can happen, to this, where in 10 pages you get 10 pages recapping the very same pages you are currently already reading. How is this possible? Mookie, you aren't having fun, are you? How can he enjoy this? What is he GETTING out of this?

I'm going to be shocked if this lasts another year, unless it becomes 100% traced white-background nothing that he pumps out in 30 minutes to pay the bills.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
You know, given they were having a shared dream, or at least he seems to think so, during which she's being attacked by dream vines... you'd think he'd be more concerned that she's still trapped in that dream or something. Instead of just rolling over and letting her continue to asleep.

Like what if this is actually some kind of psychic attack? That would seem plausible with what he knows of her.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TheHan posted:

I'm still struggling to figure out if it's a lack of confidence in his audience or a lack of confidence in himself

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

BattleMaster posted:

Snout doesn't care about other people unless it gets him attention and praise

Snoutji Ikari

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm still struggling to figure out if it's a lack of confidence in his audience or a lack of confidence in himself

Normally the characters would be stating what was happening as it happened, but this is a comic without dialogue and our protagonist is both deaf and mute, so Mookie has to stop every page or three to have him write it down in his journal.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Happy Landfill posted:

It's probably the latter but he justifies it to himself by thinking it's the former.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Remember, this isn't pre-planned.

If Mookie didn't do these recap pages he wouldn't have any idea what was happening either.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Also, Mookie has to remind us what every symbol means because they're just basic shapes and his mythology is shoddy and impressively uninteresting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ah good for a minute I thought something was actually happening in this strip. Can’t have that.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh good she chose a name that means nothing.

It's so touching.

Also will restart my readthrough tomorrow (today but later, after sleep)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Is he wrapping her hair around the back of his head? Maybe it's just the Snout vs a real face but I don't know how he buried his head in her hair like that. Something about the angles just don't make sense in a way that's triggering me for some reason

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ugh her stomach int he first panel looks like shes the roadkill victim in the beetlejuice waiting room

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's really uncomfortable that she's getting a pseudo-African name tbqh. It just feels so off and unearned and creepy on Mookie's part.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Asking the important questions here: is this the comic's longest consecutive nudity scene so far?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sooooo why couldn't Mookie have revealed her name before having these two sleep again?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
:goofy:

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
So.... Did she not experience the dream also? I'm guessing not since she apparently woke up with something completely different on her mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The shading under her nipples makes it look like she's had breast augmentation surgery.