Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

san francisco is a land of contrasts,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ansible Adams posted:

san francisco is a land of contrasts,

not really, its mostly pretty grey cause its always overcast

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

public transit is very good considering it's a city in the USA

lol SF is like one of ... what... 2? cities? in the USA with "good" public transit lol i wouldnt even say very good

e: oh, i guess one could read your statement in multiple ways. Sure, yeah, considering it's in the USA it's very good lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've heard that the king county (seattle metro area) public transit is decent all things considered. haven't used it though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sniep posted:

e: oh, i guess one could read your statement in multiple ways. Sure, yeah, considering it's in the USA it's very good lol.

yeah like if you gotta be in the USA and you want something even vaguely functional wrt public transit you've really only got a handful of choices and if you're west of the mississippi you've really only got one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its the apple strategy: you don't have to be good, you just have to be better.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kazinsal posted:

I've heard that the king county (seattle metro area) public transit is decent all things considered. haven't used it though

it's "useable" i guess but there are lots of areas where it's hard to get from one part of the city to another.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

San Francisco is a toilet

the first time a coworker went there he looked out his hotel room window first thing in the morning and saw a dude making GBS threads in the alcove of a shop door :allears:

rotor posted:

not really, its mostly pretty grey cause its always overcast

tbh i don't mind a cloudy day and cool breezes, but after years of living by various great lakes maybe i'm biased by their weather

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

PokeJoe posted:

it's "useable" i guess but there are lots of areas where it's hard to get from one part of the city to another.

i live on the kitsap peninsula west of the sound so for me to take the ferry over its an hour before i even get there

and that is solid booked for commute hours, so useless

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kitsap is no man's land. I live a few blocks from a light rail stop so that's pretty nice but it only goes so many places

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah i just moved here a year ago

there was no way i could afford what i have here in PO in seattle itself or within an hour anyway

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kazinsal posted:

it's still wacky to read the SA live thread for 9/11

iirc it's page five or six where someone posts WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR lmao

i was sobbing on my phone to my parents right after the second plane hit about how this would be used to end our civil liberties

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my ex gf woke me up crying "they flew planes into new york city and everything's exploding" and i sat up and said "lol finally we're getting ours" and she just started crying harder so i code switched to Supportive Boyfriend Mode

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

my ex gf woke me up crying "they flew planes into new york city and everything's exploding" and i sat up and said "lol finally we're getting ours" and she just started crying harder so i code switched to Supportive Boyfriend Mode

i love a happy ending

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i took her purple 95 intrepid to a gas station later that day and sat in line for 90 minutes to fill it up at $5 a gallon

the proprietor of that gas station later went to actual jail for gouging that day lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

i live on the kitsap peninsula west of the sound so for me to take the ferry over its an hour before i even get there

and that is solid booked for commute hours, so useless

oof, that's lovely. a friend of mine moved to bainbridge island as soon as goog oked his full-time wfh

bainbridge island to downtown seattle is a bit longer (7 nmi) than the SeaBus that goes between downtown vancouver and north vancouver (1.7 nmi) but that goes every 15 minutes (with four boats) and carries about 200 passengers. it takes half an hour to cross the sound at that point by water so with some bigger boats you could do fairly alright. only problem is finding the money to invest in public ferries for a relatively small number of commuters, and, well, america

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

oof, that's lovely. a friend of mine moved to bainbridge island as soon as goog oked his full-time wfh

bainbridge island to downtown seattle is a bit longer (7 nmi) than the SeaBus that goes between downtown vancouver and north vancouver (1.7 nmi) but that goes every 15 minutes (with four boats) and carries about 200 passengers. it takes half an hour to cross the sound at that point by water so with some bigger boats you could do fairly alright. only problem is finding the money to invest in public ferries for a relatively small number of commuters, and, well, america

its not that small amount of commuters anymore

tons of tech workers have moved out here due to affordable housing and once covid is over there's going to be a huge commute backlog of people trying to get from the peninsula over into seattle on a daily basis

the ferries are going to be 100% full every trip in the morning and afternoon, absolutely worthless for general use

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my old boss took a ferry to vashon and another to Seattle and then a bus every day

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hbag posted:

found a photo of me at a party a couple of years ago

yo i have this t-shirt lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

i missed it by being a teenager in rural alberta and then rural bc :\

same but rural michigan

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh poo poo my copy of joey the rat came in! and look what truman peyote included! thanks man!!

also, imgbb seems to have changed their UI to be strictly worse than before. all things must pass I suppose. (e: oh, i was confusing imgbb.com with postimg.org, nm)

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 14, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

oh poo poo my copy of joey the rat came in! and look what truman peyote included!

Lol that's great

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

owns

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/saavikford/status/1425235201047908359

hbag do you know what a file system is

mystes
May 31, 2006

It will be interesting to see if this continues to get worse as a result of kids just using tablets/phones and maybe chromebooks more and more.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think i do but i probably dont
because ive never really bothered to read into how it works

but afaik its just the method the computer uses to organize files on the disk, the user wont usually notice anything different about it if they switch between different filesystems as MOST of them function pretty much the same on that level, only really differing when it gets closer to the metal

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for evidence there was an episode in season 1 (the hbag-makes-a-webapp saga) with half a dozen posts about failing to open a file, iirc doing the relative path incorrectly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

i think i do but i probably dont
because ive never really bothered to read into how it works

but afaik its just the method the computer uses to organize files on the disk, the user wont usually notice anything different about it if they switch between different filesystems as MOST of them function pretty much the same on that level, only really differing when it gets closer to the metal
I'm guessing you're interpreting the question as being about how filesystems are implemented, but I think the tweet is literally talking about people not understanding how files are organized in a hierarchical fashion on a computer.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I teach coding to junior high students and this is 100% of a thing. The computers they use have all abstracted away things like directories so they never see them. Telling 14 year olds that "its' like nested file folders" is like speaking an alien language. I've started using a metaphor of "locating a small thing in your house from orbit." First you go to North American continent, then you go the USA, then you go to California, then you go to Fresno, OH NO you're in the wrong place! go back up to California, go to SF, go to your house, go to your room, go to your drawers, go to the top drawer, then the thing you want is there.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for evidence there was an episode in season 1 (the hbag-makes-a-webapp saga) with half a dozen posts about failing to open a file, iirc doing the relative path incorrectly.

if theres one thing i can get right its relative paths, thank you very much

mystes posted:

I'm guessing you're interpreting the question as being about how filesystems are implemented, but I think the tweet is literally talking about people not understanding how files are organized in a hierarchical fashion on a computer.

oh good lord who the gently caress doesnt understand THAT
even if you have to explain it its a pretty simple abstraction of "pretend your pc is a desk - hence "desktop", now imagine all the folders on it are literal folders"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hbag posted:

oh good lord who the gently caress doesnt understand THAT

LOOOOOOTS of people. Its just not something you have to understand to use computers anymore.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rotor posted:

LOOOOOOTS of people. Its just not something you have to understand to use computers anymore.

it still wasnt when I started using computers but i still managed to passively absorb the knowledge

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My wife teaches a science/research summer camp which involves basic analyses that can't be performed by Google Sheets (because its number crunching features are too neutered in comparison to Excel/Calc) and getting kids to understand "open the file", "well where is the file?", "do you know what folder you've been using?" is a whole Thing. It's been a shock to hear about.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Most students in their school life are using exclusively chromebooks or iPads and it's having some fuckin weird side effects.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

now i understand why i was hailed as a computer genius as an 8 year old when i knew how to click the "cancel" button on whatever random prompt classmates got in microsoft word

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shoeberto posted:

Most students in their school life are using exclusively chromebooks or iPads and it's having some fuckin weird side effects.

mmmhm

even macos hides directories from you pretty well

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hbag posted:

now i understand why i was hailed as a computer genius as an 8 year old when i knew how to click the "cancel" button on whatever random prompt classmates got in microsoft word

You will be surprised at how many people think they can't do something because they assume it's too difficult for them.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the slumlord who owns the traphouse I always post about got shot in the head there yesterday, cops were everywhere

surprised I didn't hear it, heard the cops though

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the slumlord who owns the traphouse I always post about got shot in the head there yesterday, cops were everywhere

surprised I didn't hear it, heard the cops though

this is gonna sound like a dumb as gently caress question but did he survive
bullets have been known to deflect off the skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hbag posted:

this is gonna sound like a dumb as gently caress question but did he survive
bullets have been known to deflect off the skull

he's in hospital in critical condition, so maybe it went through his jaw or something.

I'm really surprised I didn't hear it, there was a drive by here in like 2017 and that woke me up