Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Poor Sam, mentioning his dream of playing for the Nigerian national team in last week’s episode. That’s…uh…probably not going to happen after going on the record calling your government corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
My brain went right to harm coming to Sam's parents, with the way the Trent asked "Are you accusing the Nigerian government of corruption" and Ted saying "Doing the right thing is never the wrong thing". I worry Sam may find out that the right thing comes with unexpected costs. I just hope Jamie is there to bring him back.

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll be getting something in my eye a few times.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I come here to praise Ted Lasso and point out that whoever chose the closing music for S2E1 knows exactly what they're doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZjU-6iSwk

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
S1 ended on "You'll never walk alone".

They know football songs.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’m enjoying Ted Lasso, but watched the first episode of Schmigadoon….and they didn’t include any jokes? It’s all just sniping at each other and “oh wow this town sure sucks how wacky”.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Trig Discipline posted:

The teasers for the new Foundation show have got me pretty excited, I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

Looks like they’ve taken some pretty major liberties, but I don’t mind them bringing something new to the table, so long as they get the broad strokes right and the new stuff is interesting.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I loved season 1 of Ted Lasso but season 2 has been disappointing so far, it's really generic and aimless and this recent christmas episode is pretty much the perfect summary of what is wrong with this season, it feels just disconnected and out of place. It is also kind of weird to have such a early christmas episode and without anything leading up to it which meant the episode itself was also kind of empty of any conflict, drive or direction.
I also get that the show isn't about football itself but while season 1 at least had a decent enough balance and bothered to engage at least somewhat with the football side of things the show has pretty much just ignored the actual football in the first four episodes and I'm not talking about showing us matches or anything like that but at this point you'd never guess that this is supposed to be a professional football club with actual stakes.
This of course creates the aforementioned problem of a lack of conflict and direction so far because nothing drives the plot and everything is now completetly static, the show now relies on pure character moments that are all resolved within an episode (the comedy also suffers from it).
I can only hope that the season will improve after ep4 because so far this has been a massive drop in quality (imo).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Having a random Christmas episode was just really jarring.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The first three episodes were pretty good I thought, they're of a piece and set up a lot of stuff. Today's is a mostly standalone, pretty rote Xmas episode. I guess we learned that the team has won a few games so their season isn't a total disaster.

It's a 13 episode season (3 more than S1), we're 4 episodes in, I'm excited to see where it goes!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So far they’ve talked about players needing sports therapy to get over the y-word, locker room dynamics, and the rise of this generation of players who are more likely to publicly protest. Sam’s arc in particular should be very interesting and it’s already been both on-field and off.

It’s probably the difference in building a world and living in it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Random to have a Christmas episode in August, but its been a tough week so an episode of everyone being extra nice to each other was perfect timing :3:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Roy's reaction to Phoebe's breath had me rolling. Plus it had Rebecca sing, Isaac's Santa costume, and the return of the ussie guy. Yes, it was a Christmas episode, and no it didn't really drive the season's story, but goddamn that was a great episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Random to have a Christmas episode in August, but its been a tough week so an episode of everyone being extra nice to each other was perfect timing :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmF2lCXV8lQ

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just finished the last episode of For All Mankind season 2. Jesus gently caress.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That may have been the first time I played on my phone through a Ted Lasso episode. This episode shows how easy it is to slip from sweet and heartwarming to saccharine. I do have a bad feeling that this might also be the last really happy moment in the show for awhile. There's gonna be some really big problems that start coming from calling out a country's government and a major sponsorship soon.

edit:
speculation I really think Sam is going to be fired. There's gonna be no choice for Rebecca and Ted, and he may not get to play anywhere ever again either. I'm sure they'll find a spin or it will resolve by the end of the season, but I think that's a very real possibility. The show is pretty grounded all things considered, this last episode not withstanding. Sam getting Kaepernicked just feels like something they would tackle.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 14, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

External Organs posted:

Just finished the last episode of For All Mankind season 2. Jesus gently caress.

Congrats, that's an awesome season to finish.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Schmigadoon felt like it didn’t realize it only had this episode to go back to status quo and went at a 1,000mph to get there. But I didn’t dislike it, and of course ended in the exact way everyone knew it would. Enjoyable stuff.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

External Organs posted:

Speaking of shows with a slightly meandering early season 2 that turned out excellent. So good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

pokeyman posted:

Speaking of shows with a slightly meandering early season 2 that turned out excellent. So good.

It was definitely extremely soapy at times but I didn't mind as I kind of love all the characters. Maybe it went down better since we were able to binge it (generally one episode a night).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The saga of Phoebe's breath was excellent, and I liked that even though it wasn't doing much with the main plot we did get some more of post-divorce Ted.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I posted elsewhere that this episode was totally weird to drop in the middle of the season and in August, and it probably would have been better to hold it back and release it in December as “A Ted Lasso Christmas Special.”

I was thinking about that more and the only reason I can come up with for why they didn’t do that would be if something happens between the characters in the rest of the season that makes this episode not work out of sequence. Sam gets fired, Roy and Keely break up, something like that.

…..but I hope not :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

I posted elsewhere that this episode was totally weird to drop in the middle of the season and in August, and it probably would have been better to hold it back and release it in December as “A Ted Lasso Christmas Special.”

I was thinking about that more and the only reason I can come up with for why they didn’t do that would be if something happens between the characters in the rest of the season that makes this episode not work out of sequence. Sam gets fired, Roy and Keely break up, something like that.

Maybe Covid messed up the release schedule? Like, Ted Lasso might have originally been scheduled for the end of the year, with this episode airing over Christmas, but it was brought forward for some reason?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

The weekly drip just magnifies the weirdness. I was all excited for a new Ted Lasso episode and it's a standalone Xmas episode?

I know one of the show's calling cards is "we're gonna set up a stereotypical sitcom situation and then zig instead of zag", so my hope is they're taking that very meta.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-08-13/ted-lasso-christmas-episode-apple-tv

quote:

The installment was a late addition to the season, which Apple expanded to 12 episodes after the writers’ room had finished breaking its planned 10.

It's so weird to me that stuff like this (or whether the first three episodes will drop together/separately) happens without any coordination. I don't think it's uncommon, but how hard would it be to tell the writers what they're writing into?

quote:

Ted plans to spend the day opening presents with his son in America via FaceTime — a minutes-long activity

In retrospect, this is where I noticed the episode wasn't really working for me, because Ted Lasso is an optimist but he's not an idiot, and I could not imagine him actually believing he could amuse his son on a call for multiple consecutive hours.

quote:

“That was just me wanting to hear Hannah sing again”

You don't say.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
"What could you be upset about? Did one of the Paw Patrol die?"

Roy is the best.

Overall I really liked the episode even if it would have been better in December.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 16, 2021

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
reinforced after this last episode where he apparently goes to a pagan ritual at Stonehenge, I like the theory that they're writing a parallel "Coach Beard" show.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Finished episode 3 of season 2 of Ted Lasso last night and I think I'm done. Season 1 had a nice contrast of Ted being super nice while nearly everyone else was an rear end in a top hat. Now it's just a show where everyone is super nice to each other all the time and there's swelling emotional music in every other scene? Something is really missing in this season. What happened?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They’re setting up a house of cards to be knocked down. It will almost certainly be Higgins knocking it down based on how he twitches every time someone mentions Sam in episode 4.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

prom candy posted:

Finished episode 3 of season 2 of Ted Lasso last night and I think I'm done. Season 1 had a nice contrast of Ted being super nice while nearly everyone else was an rear end in a top hat. Now it's just a show where everyone is super nice to each other all the time and there's swelling emotional music in every other scene? Something is really missing in this season. What happened?

Is Nate’s heel turn not enough for you? Tsk!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The season's also experienced a bit of executive fuckery -- the Christmas episode was one of two episodes added to the season as a late addition, and the first three episodes were originally meant to air together.

I wouldn't judge it for another episode or two, in that light.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know, after the latest episode I am even more skeptical that any bit of drama or character tension will last beyond a single episode, let alone resolved in any way beyond Ted making some folksy comment and smiling.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know, after the latest episode I am even more skeptical that any bit of drama or character tension will last beyond a single episode, let alone resolved in any way beyond Ted making some folksy comment and smiling.

Yeah, adding in silly love story moments with characters breaking the fourth wall for no reason, and now hinting at Ted/Rebecca is starting to feel like they're laying it on a bit thick. I'm sure the shoe will drop eventually, but it's giving me a toothache waiting for it.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 20, 2021

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Wild how different the tempo would be if we got the episodes in the way the writers intended - the first 3 at once and then this episode a week later.

Nope, drag it out over a month with a random Christmas episode thrown in the middle. I'll watch every week but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I’d tell any friends who ask to just wait and binge it later.

E:

Robobot posted:

Yeah, adding in silly love story moments with characters breaking the fourth wall for no reason, and now hinting at Ted/Rebecca is starting to feel like they're laying it on a bit thick. I'm sure the shoe will drop eventually, but it's giving me a toothache waiting for it.

The fourth wall breaking couple was a reference to When Harry Met Sally. The episode was full of references to romcoms, you’ve got mail, the wedding planner, sleepless in Seattle, jerry MacGuire , when Harry met sally, etc.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 20, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Scott Forstall posted:

The fourth wall breaking couple was a reference to When Harry Met Sally. The episode was full of references to romcoms, you’ve got mail, the wedding planner, sleepless in Seattle, jerry MacGuire , when Harry met sally, etc.

Don't forget The Princess Bride! This was kind of a sappy theme episode, but it worked even if you don't get all the references. Things happened, characters grew and changed, I liked it.

And are they going with Rebecca and Ted are going to hook up? I mean, her and Sam is kind of foreshadowed but as dumb as it is they do show Ted putting away his phone right after cutting from Rebecca sending a chat in Bantr. The chat from her end doesn't seem like Ted, but who knows?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Ted Lasso talk

I thought for sure they were going to end this season with the team promoted back into the Premier League. Doesn't seem that likely after the most recent episode mentioned the team is again in danger of relegation. The Ted/Rebecca talking to each other on the dating app has the most obvious coming plot point all season.

prom candy posted:

This season does feel off. I haven't watched season 1 in a while but it felt more focused and there were stakes. Now the team may be relegated again and so far that has only been mentioned in the background.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think they may play the dating app off as a really long form joke. Like we're expecting Sam or Ted but it's gonna wind up being Nate or her ex or something.

Scott Forstall posted:

Oh! Thank you. It just seemed so weird and out of place.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That episode felt totally back to form.

Robobot posted:

I think they may play the dating app off as a really long form joke. Like we're expecting Sam or Ted but it's gonna wind up being Nate or her ex or something.

I wondered if it is Ted and his realizing that it's Rebecca somehow leads him to finally talk to Doc?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

could be some trickery to make you think it’s Ted/Rebecca so they can throw a curveball. I like it either way, I just think Ted would be incapable of texting back and forth with someone without them immediately knowing it was him based on his personality (and the fact they know everyone in the team has been asked to use the app)

Loved the ep as always, the gimmick stuff worked well for me. Perfect end to my week, every week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I kind of hate the cliche of the romcom run so from that perspective the episode didn't work for me. That being said, there was still a lot I did enjoy, like everything about how Rebecca pumps herself up for meetings from the way the shot was framed to Keeyley's reaction to it. I also remain fascinated by what they're doing with Nate because he's the lone discordant note on the SS AFC Richmond good times boat. And of course, Higgins is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think this is a very Ted Lasso thing to say:

Now we just have to figure out what LDN152 means and we can beat the game! pat ourselves on the back as if it wasn't foreshadowing!

London 152? Anyone know a character's address?