Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Keyser_Soze posted:

I love how RTINGS suggests an 85" TV for my 12 foot away viewing chair/couch location. :newlol:

55" is fine (but I'll go 65" when my Sony 930D dies) and a lot of the time I watch from 25 feet away at the dining table. whatever

Hate to break it to ya but they ain't wrong. :v:
Embrace your destiny... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S431 $398 shipped

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

Hate to break it to ya but they ain't wrong. :v:
Embrace your destiny... :getin:

55" is still cool because it's pretty much the limit you can deal with yourself.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Keyser_Soze posted:

55" is still cool because it's pretty much the limit you can deal with yourself.
No friends AND a tiny TV? Oof. Sorry about your life dude.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

No friends AND a tiny TV? Oof. Sorry about your life dude.

heck, in my age group we need a weeks out appointments to align schedules and find time to grab a beer or play golf let alone have them come over and help lift a giant 80" tv. I don't want to wait.

That said when my 55" Sony X930D 2016 era dies, I'll go up to 65" - but gently caress paying $3k+ for some giganto-screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I moved my 65" X900e around by myself because the stand allowed me to grip the bottom easily when reaching from above. I did need someone to help with my C6 because the stand got in the way and I was paranoid about the thinness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I dunno. I was willing to risk it with my plasma, but this Hisense is so thin at the edges that I'd want to go over under, and that's literally a stretch for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pft. I can easily pick up my 85" BOLED TV by myself. I just did. poo poo was so cash

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Now I'm imagining kites made from flexible oled panels. That would be so awesome*.

* Until they crashed or hit a tree.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Bummed because I just learned the Sony X95J won't offer a narrow stand position in the 65" version. I wonder if I'm in a tiny minority as someone who can only buy TVs with a narrow or center stand or if these brands are actually losing a non-negligible number of sales from not offering it. That was going to be my next TV and now it's not.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The lack of central stands really bugs me too, as the table I use can't support the widely-splayed legs on most TVs now. I'll probably just try to get an aftermarket universal stand.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Looking for recommendations for a TV wall mount. I have a 4-series 43-inch TCL tv I bought years ago that I want to mount on a wall over my PC setup so I can console game & media watch on it.

I mainly need it just to tilt down, but if there's a good option for a reasonable price that has a full range of motion, I'd be more into that.

I'm also looking into wall shelf options for media storage under it so I can put my game consoles on it. (While we're at it, any goon recommendations for rear-mounted TV LEDS for pretties?)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Are LG CXs getting cleared out for a reason? BB dropped the price on their 77" (again) down to $2800 and I'm getting all worked up and about to order it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Krime posted:

Are LG CXs getting cleared out for a reason? BB dropped the price on their 77" (again) down to $2800 and I'm getting all worked up and about to order it.

Probably just clearing out last year's model.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Tacier posted:

Bummed because I just learned the Sony X95J won't offer a narrow stand position in the 65" version. I wonder if I'm in a tiny minority as someone who can only buy TVs with a narrow or center stand or if these brands are actually losing a non-negligible number of sales from not offering it. That was going to be my next TV and now it's not.

I put this on my LG that had edge-mounted stands and I have no complaints, it's built pretty solidly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Looking for recommendations for a TV wall mount. I have a 4-series 43-inch TCL tv I bought years ago that I want to mount on a wall over my PC setup so I can console game & media watch on it.

I mainly need it just to tilt down, but if there's a good option for a reasonable price that has a full range of motion, I'd be more into that.

I'm also looking into wall shelf options for media storage under it so I can put my game consoles on it. (While we're at it, any goon recommendations for rear-mounted TV LEDS for pretties?)

You don't gotta spend much money. Go on Amazon and find something cheap with good reviews. Waste to spend more in store

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Spacedad posted:

I'm using this for my 43" TCL. The screen is super light so it has been more than sufficient mounted in a stud

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The stand to the LG C1 is heavier than the loving TV lol. It's like a solid slab of machined metal.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've got a C9, I was watching some Netflix the other day and noticed a vertical band in the image that appears to be new. I found an OLED test video on Youtube and grabbed an image of it this morning:

https://imgur.com/a/zj2wmCv

It's visible at all grayscale levels and on multiple inputs. Ran the pixel refresh tool this morning, it's still there.

Is that a defective panel? I have a SquareTrade warranty through Costco, the TV is ~20 months old, so I think it's out of warranty with LG.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Avail of your costco warranty. You have chosen wisely by purchasing it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

codo27 posted:

Avail of your costco warranty. You have chosen wisely by purchasing it.

This is the second LG OLED I've had to make SquareTrade claim on. I hope it's relatively smooth. I had a C8 that developed a row of dead pixels, LG denied to cover it even though it was in warranty. SquareTrade gave me what I paid for it and I replaced it with this C9.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Never. Buy. Expensive. TVs. Without. Warranty. Even if you are throwing a 4 series TCL in your bedroom or something, its so cheap through costco its just as well to have it even on that.

Strange LG is so lovely about manufacturer warranty though, I remember them doing everyone a solid with one of their phones that was lovely a few years back. And they're so well regarded in the TV space, which I also find funny seeing in my eyes I've always viewed them as sorta second rate.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend an HDMI switch that they use and like? 6 ports or more would be ideal and I think I'd prefer a manual switch over an automatic one. Don't need anything too fancy (no HDMI 2.1 or anything like that). Amazon is awash in brands I've never heard of before so I'm not sure where to start.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can any of ya'll screencap where the costco warranty covers oled burn in (if it still does)? I have a friend in the States who's interested in a clearance cx.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Can any of ya'll screencap where the costco warranty covers oled burn in (if it still does)? I have a friend in the States who's interested in a clearance cx.

It doesn't. If I'm remembering things, Best Buy's extended warranty is the only one that covers burn in.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend an HDMI switch that they use and like? 6 ports or more would be ideal and I think I'd prefer a manual switch over an automatic one. Don't need anything too fancy (no HDMI 2.1 or anything like that). Amazon is awash in brands I've never heard of before so I'm not sure where to start.

As far as I've been able to find, the two categories available are "cheap no-name crap that might as well come from AliExpress" and "big-boy AVRs that cost hundreds of dollars", with basically nothing in the middle. I had one of the former, it poo poo the bed after about a year, now I have a real AVR. I don't think the low end of the market is big enough to really get much in the way of respectable reviews from professionals (or even youtubers with more than a couple hundred followers), so just pick whatever has a reasonable number of solid reviews on Amazon if you want to go that route.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Arcsech posted:

As far as I've been able to find, the two categories available are "cheap no-name crap that might as well come from AliExpress" and "big-boy AVRs that cost hundreds of dollars", with basically nothing in the middle. I had one of the former, it poo poo the bed after about a year, now I have a real AVR. I don't think the low end of the market is big enough to really get much in the way of respectable reviews from professionals (or even youtubers with more than a couple hundred followers), so just pick whatever has a reasonable number of solid reviews on Amazon if you want to go that route.

Yeah, that's lining up with everything I'm seeing. Might give this one a try for now: Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Switch.

A full on AV receiver setup is a no-go in my living room for numerous reasons.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

A full on AV receiver setup is a no-go in my living room for numerous reasons.

Explain them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

codo27 posted:

Explain them.
  • I've already invested in a wireless surround sound speaker system and it actually works really great except it has all the same limitations as a sound bar. You gotta pass audio to it from your TV via ARC, no extra HDMI inputs, etc.
  • I can't figure out how to run speaker wire neatly across my living room. Hence the wireless setup.
  • If I were to get an AV receiver I'd want it to be fully HDMI 2.1 compatible and it sounds like those aren't quite ready yet.
Okay I'll admit that list isn't exactly "numerous". But that's my situation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Kind of a peculiar niche situation that somebody might have the answer to.

So, we just moved. From a house to a townhouse halfway across the country. Things happened hastily and I can't remember where I put the remote to my 55R625 TLC Roku TV.

No big deal as a replacement is cheap and hell I'm using my Sofabaton and all is well. But I was just curious what *did* happen to the remote. I assumed it was accidentally thrown away or left behind.

But then, yesterday, we're watching TV and we see the battery life icon pop up saying it's halfway down. My wife and I are both like "does this mean the remote is nearby?!?"

I popped into the remote section of the settings and it says it's using the RC350 Voice Remote (or something like that) and it has 39% battery life left.

Now, my question to this fun little mystery is - does the TCL TV get battery life info for the Sofabaton (that is likely masquerading as that remote) or does in fact mean the little bugger is still hiding out somewhere? We've almost fully unpacked and feel like we've at least partially gone through the boxes left enough to know it likely isn't in there.

edit: I did take the batteries out of the Sofabaton to see if the remote info on the TV changed... it didn't. But I don't know if that's just a matter of letting it refresh at some undetermined time or it is still in fact reading the original remote somewhere nearby.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Arcsech posted:

Pretty much this, either go for Monoprice or spring for HDFury or something else $400+.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I want a small TV to watch OTA and free Roku stuff in my sewing room- max 32" and honestly since it's background stuff about 24“ would be fine and better fit the space.

Stand-alone TV plus a Roku stick, or a Roku TV from TCL?

I was thinking the stick plus whatever TV was more flexible and future-proof, but there are some cheap Roku tvs... Any opinions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BonoMan posted:

So, we just moved. From a house to a townhouse halfway across the country. Things happened hastily and I can't remember where I put the remote to my 55R625 TLC Roku TV.

No big deal as a replacement is cheap and hell I'm using my Sofabaton and all is well. But I was just curious what *did* happen to the remote. I assumed it was accidentally thrown away or left behind.

But then, yesterday, we're watching TV and we see the battery life icon pop up saying it's halfway down. My wife and I are both like "does this mean the remote is nearby?!?"

I popped into the remote section of the settings and it says it's using the RC350 Voice Remote (or something like that) and it has 39% battery life left.

Now, my question to this fun little mystery is - does the TCL TV get battery life info for the Sofabaton (that is likely masquerading as that remote) or does in fact mean the little bugger is still hiding out somewhere? We've almost fully unpacked and feel like we've at least partially gone through the boxes left enough to know it likely isn't in there.

edit: I did take the batteries out of the Sofabaton to see if the remote info on the TV changed... it didn't. But I don't know if that's just a matter of letting it refresh at some undetermined time or it is still in fact reading the original remote somewhere nearby.

Just curious, does that TV have a little compartment on the side or back where the remote can be stored?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just curious, does that TV have a little compartment on the side or back where the remote can be stored?

I don't think so. I'm not aware of one if so and I'm the one that packed the TV and the remote (but my dumb brain can't remember where I put the remote) so I wouldn't have put it in there even if it did.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

effika posted:

I want a small TV to watch OTA and free Roku stuff in my sewing room- max 32" and honestly since it's background stuff about 24“ would be fine and better fit the space.

Stand-alone TV plus a Roku stick, or a Roku TV from TCL?

I was thinking the stick plus whatever TV was more flexible and future-proof, but there are some cheap Roku tvs... Any opinions?

We just bought a 32" TCL since the lady friend wanted a tv we could easily carry outside to watch Ted Lasso as we ate dinner (my Sony from 2017 doesn't do Apple and the side loaded app version is super buggy). There's a 720P version and a 1080P version, the lady friend asked me about this and we got the 1080p version from a semi-local Best Buy we visited after a hike, as to make the transaction not feel as dirty.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Does the sofabaton have any wifi/pairing setup? If not, I don't see how the tv could know about its battery level. In other words, I think your roku remote is hiding somewhere.

NFX fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 17, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My TV is in the middle of my room on a desk. Are there any soundbar mounts compatible with a 65" C1 that will allow me to have the soundbar above the TV? I have the Q800T from Samsung and I was looking at these mounts that basically slot into the VESA spots into the back and allow your sounbar to essentially hover above the TV but I'm not sure how well they'll work.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the deal with cheap TVs on e.g. OfferUp? I assume something isn't on the up-and-up since these appear to be individuals selling multiple open-box items, but I don't know if they're stolen, counterfeit, or what.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Animale posted:

We just bought a 32" TCL since the lady friend wanted a tv we could easily carry outside to watch Ted Lasso as we ate dinner (my Sony from 2017 doesn't do Apple and the side loaded app version is super buggy). There's a 720P version and a 1080P version, the lady friend asked me about this and we got the 1080p version from a semi-local Best Buy we visited after a hike, as to make the transaction not feel as dirty.

How do you all like it so far? I saw WireCutter liked it too, but then I saw a bunch of comments about it being slow and the sound laggy, both there and at Amazon and Best Buy. I don't know that the slow menus will bother me, since we have an old Vizio as our main TV that takes 5 seconds to switch inputs.

(I'm going to pick up something in person so I can check that the panel isn't cracked; we had to go through more than one TV last time with shipping!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is it possible to get a TV where you can use Google Assistant to completely control it, hands-free (no remote necessary, just yelling at the TV)? Like, turn on/off, change volume, select app, select video within app, playback controls, etc.