Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Persona 5 Strikers is a direct sequel to Persona 5 but it was developed concurrently with Royal so it doesn't acknowledge any of those story developments.

Persona 4 Dancing has a full VN story, as do Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax the fighting games. The P3/P5 dancing games have a lot of character vignettes and fun interactions but not actual plot development

I will say that P4DAN's story is, in my opinion, pretty weak and if you're used to P4's VAing then Rise's new one is extremely jarring.

Arena is solid. Ultimax less so but it's okay, if generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ultimax is loving amazing.

Oh you mean the story, whatever

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

DC Murderverse posted:

I might be biased because FE3H was sort of my introduction to Persona and Persona-inspired games but I still like it better than P5/S because the cast of characters is so good, even if it’s overarching storytelling is a mess. I’ve really been digging Nocturne and I played about an hour of 13 Sentinels and it’s just a little too anime for me. The weird sexual politics of P5 was one of the low points of that game and Giant Titty Nurse was a real good excuse to peace out of 13SAR.

Strikers should be next on your list IMO it’s storytelling is better than even P5R because it’s got a more consistent vibe

Yeah I liked 3 more than 5 because of the lower key presentation and it just generally seemed more earnest than 5 which seemed to be trying to sell itself with big production and sexiness. 5 is great and brought me into the series but so far I’m resonating even more with 3 and 4. Moving P5S and Nocturne to the top of the list, thanks.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sophie trying to make sci-fi noises is the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7E4O-plb7w

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I will say that P4DAN's story is, in my opinion, pretty weak and if you're used to P4's VAing then Rise's new one is extremely jarring.

:hmmyes:

This. SO much this. That story is bad. The English voice cast isn't great either, but I freely admit I usually don't like dubs at all. Didn't have a choice for P4DAN.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

God one day I will play Danganronpa3, I played the first two explicitly because I was told the third one was so good but just have not done it yet for some reason

Meanwhile I've had something like 15 years and dozens of opportunities to play the Phoenix Wright series and somehow it still hasn't happened

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I forget which Phoenix Wright game everyone says is the best (one case specifically is absolutely nuts apparently in the first trilogy) but I beat the first game and thought "that was fun" but then the postgame case made me not want to play anymore, it went on way too long and all the forensics stuff was not fun

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I forget which Phoenix Wright game everyone says is the best (one case specifically is absolutely nuts apparently in the first trilogy) but I beat the first game and thought "that was fun" but then the postgame case made me not want to play anymore, it went on way too long and all the forensics stuff was not fun

The postgame case was made at much later date than the original game. It was made when the game was ported to the DS.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I started Persona 5 Strikers today. It’s only been a few months but I forgot how much I loved and missed these characters and how happy seeing their interactions make me.

As for gameplay, I’m still getting used to the musuo style of gameplay. I think one criticism I have is Persona 5 throws a lot of mechanics at you, but this works well enough in a turn-base RPG system where the action happens on your command. In a warriors/musuo system it can easily become chaos and trying to track enemy weaknesses, show times, baton pass, combos, while paying attention to character health and SP is….overwhelming at times.

That said when it flows together, it is quite fun! Boss battles are a huge pain tho. Often times I die because with so much going on it’s especially hard to keep track of my teammates health.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I think Strikers was more or less the perfect package for me. Whilst the story's obviously not as strong as P5's, it's still incredibly well crafted for a spin-off. I remember being leery about Atlus crowing about it being a 'true sequel' to Persona 5 (you always say that; Persona 4 Dancing was a "true sequel" apparantly too and that game's story was throwaway trash), but by the end I was like y'know what yeah you can have that one, this actually kinda ruled.

And as someone who isn't generally wildly into the RPG side of the Persona games - I'm not saying they're in any way bad, they just don't particularly hook me, as someone not generally enormously into RPGs in the first place - replacing that entirely with a gameplay system I actually do really enjoy but with enough Atlus injection to make it still challenging and strategic in a similar way to the core games, and clearly distinct from the other Musou crossovers I've spent too much of the last few years playing... that was pretty much the perfect combination for me.

Case in point - P4G and P5R I played all the way through multiple times, saw all the social links through to the end but did not bother at all with optional secret bosses or compendium completion or any of the optional RPG stuff because that's not what makes Persona great for me. Strikers, though, I did everything. One PSN Platinum trophy and a save file stamped Merciless Mastered. Loved that game.

That optional final boss on Merciless though, jesus christ

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Raylax posted:

That optional final boss on Merciless though, jesus christ

Thank gently caress the 100% trophy completion on Steam didn't require that.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

anakha posted:

Thank gently caress the 100% trophy completion on Steam didn't require that.

Yeah, its testament to how much I was enjoying the game that I got the Platinum trophy (I assume the achievements are the same across platforms) and just... kept on going. For another 20+ hours. For no other reason than I was still loving the game and was unwilling to stop until every drop had been squeezed out of it. Exceptionally few games I'll do that for.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Best part about Strikers is that it absolutely nails that end-of-summer/end-of-school feeling where you have a group of friends all on the precipice of new chapters in their lives that will likely lead to them drifting apart and therefore wanting to spend every possible second together while they can. Being able to go on a cross-country road trip with your friends in a camper van is one of those things everyone has probably imagined doing at one point or another, and Strikers has the good sense to make the game about that first and weaving the larger plot through it.

It’s nostalgic not in the easy way where you’re happy because you see a thing from your youth but in the complicated way where you get a glimpse of a feeling that is long past that you’re just not ever going to experience again. It’s hard for any media to hit that but for a video game to do it is just remarkable and unique. It’s helped by me playing it after being pandemic-locked in my home for a solid year but the end of that game hosed me up and truth be told I haven’t actually finished it because saying goodbye is hard and I don’t want to.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I need to finish P5 so I can buy Strikers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

Best part about Strikers is that it absolutely nails that end-of-summer/end-of-school feeling where you have a group of friends all on the precipice of new chapters in their lives that will likely lead to them drifting apart and therefore wanting to spend every possible second together while they can. Being able to go on a cross-country road trip with your friends in a camper van is one of those things everyone has probably imagined doing at one point or another, and Strikers has the good sense to make the game about that first and weaving the larger plot through it.

While this is true I did appreciate in P5 that Joker and whichever love interest you picked were quite content with "yeah, it'll be a bit long distance while Joker is away back home for his senior year but even until then there is like phones and trains and things to keep in touch until then" unlike P4's "I guess we've only got until end of term!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I entered Mementos with less than 5000 yen lol, because I was trying to get Kawakami's request active until I realized that I couldn't do that until school started again... oh well

I told myself I would try to hit half a million yen before leaving, I ended up with 560k... then I remembered I also had all those clothes and treasure to sell lol

Bonus: "As if I'd need it" -- Makoto Niijima

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Persona 5 Strikers

Makoto “we’re just friends”

Oh I see how it is now :(

Otherwise great game! I took me some time to get used to the Musuo style but Empress Mariko was the first boss that I was able to beat in one go and I’m getting better at managing the combat. Story also has me hooked I’m currently at the hidden lab in Okinawa

I still really miss the Confidant and relationship building from full fledge Persona game tho.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers is a great spinoff/sequel because it focuses on the Phantom Thieves as a unit. You don't have to wait half the darn game to put the team together, so you get to spend a lot more time focusing on group dynamics rather than having to give introduction arcs to each character. Even the new characters (Sophie and Zenkichi) are there from the start.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how Zenkichi turns it's head on the usual "character big on justice and wants to be a cop" party member but going "This job sucks and ruined my life, and each day is a nightmare"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Alacron posted:

Strikers is a great spinoff/sequel because it focuses on the Phantom Thieves as a unit. You don't have to wait half the darn game to put the team together, so you get to spend a lot more time focusing on group dynamics rather than having to give introduction arcs to each character. Even the new characters (Sophie and Zenkichi) are there from the start.

It absolutely nails that college summer road trip vibe with long time friends. Makes me nostalgic just playing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Makoto “we’re just friends”

Nah, they're still together, it's fine. They just don't want main game variant Ryuji knowing.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I am enjoying Strikers this time around after a false start a few months back.

My only complaint is: Persona gameplay doesn't mesh with musou gameplay very well. I've played plenty games of each, and I dunno- this one just doesn't really manage to quite capture the flavor of either one completely, tho if you stick to just swinging a weapon, it's a perfectly fine Musou game.

Musou games are all about that button-mash flow, but having to hold R1, switch Personas, pick a skill and fire it off completely disrupts the flow.

I can't really think of a better way they could do it, while managing to keep the flavor of both, but yeah. There it is.

Loving the story and the fun "road-trip with my buds" vibe, tho. Super jelly of that rad camper, too.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I think it was trying to be more Persona than Musou, so being able to essentially stop time at any moment and observe what's going on in the chaos around you is probably by design (although I think you can just press L+A or something to just fire your last used magic attack, and C3 on the majority of characters is a weaker but 0MP-cost version of their Persona's first attacking move in their list) so you don't always have to kill the flow to do special moves.

I think one thing it does communicate very poorly though is the fact that it should be approached more as an ARPG Persona than a Musou crossover. I came to this off the back of getting really hooked on Hyrule & Fire Emblem Warriors, and my early attempts to play it like those games - mowing though mooks like they were paper - kept getting met with taking 6 off-screen Agi blasts to the head and getting stunlocked to death in seconds. Or getting hit by Lunge once on the first miniboss and instantly dying. MP in the early game is a hugely restrictive too. I think they're trying to communicate that you should be playing more carefully than it first appears, and that the usual Persona strats of applying plentiful buffs/debuffs/statuses still very much applies here, but I didn't get that memo until quite a bit further in after I'd seriously considered putting the game down after the first warden fight

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah my big complaint with the gameplay (now granted I was playing on Merciless) was that the game felt like it wanted me to play it more slowly and methodically (same thing you said, tons of getting blasted from off-screen,getting chainstunned), but every solution just came with more problems. Enemy density was so high I couldn't see the enemy spell indicators on the ground very well, certain skills are unblockable and I could only figure it out by getting hit and dying to them, you have a very small MP pool with which to cancel enemy spells and the first dungeon leading up to the first boss is a LONG combat gauntlet with no save points and MP restoring

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The first dungeon is really brutal, if because

A) I was not used to the mechanics at all

B) I tried to approach the game as a, well, Musou game, and as the previous poster stated kept wondering why my health was rapidly depleting from off-screen magic attacks

C) SP drains really fast in the early game

The first boss took me near half a dozen tries to beat on Normal. However by the second dungeon I learned real quick to scan enemies for their weaknesses, and then pair up a corresponding Persona/Team member also I pumped a lot of my Bond points into magic attacks and SP. By the time I got to the third dungeon the game has become something of a cake walk.

One problem I have though is, for the normal enemies I can managed playing as a standard Musuo and eliminate them with combos, baton pass, all-out attacks, etc. Its fun! The mini-boss/bosses though? The only real way I've found to beat them is to just continuously hit R2 and hit their weaknesses while constantly pausing to use consumables. It's not particularly fun, the flow is severely interrupted, but it gets the job done. :shrug:

The story, music, designs, art, and characters are of course fantastic with some of the best writing I've ever seen in a video game, which is why I keep coming back to this series!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 31, 2021

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah my big complaint with the gameplay (now granted I was playing on Merciless) was that the game felt like it wanted me to play it more slowly and methodically (same thing you said, tons of getting blasted from off-screen,getting chainstunned), but every solution just came with more problems. Enemy density was so high I couldn't see the enemy spell indicators on the ground very well, certain skills are unblockable and I could only figure it out by getting hit and dying to them, you have a very small MP pool with which to cancel enemy spells and the first dungeon leading up to the first boss is a LONG combat gauntlet with no save points and MP restoring

The opening few hours of Merciless are absolutely brutal. I wandered in all confident off the back of a 100% Mastered Normal file with my Lv80(?) Joker and menagerie of enormous killbeasts, and then a Pixie two blocks away coughed and my HP bar evaporated.

It loving rules

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Finished Strikers. What an amazing ride, and a great send off to the Phantom Thieves.

I don’t know if we will ever get more adventures out of the Persona 5 gang, but even if not I very much look forward to Persona 6 (when it gets released 8 years from now)

*edit*

Does Persona 5 royal run at 4K on PS5? That would give me more than enough reason to replay it whenever I get PS5…

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 6, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Persona 5 is their most successful title to date so they're definitely gonna milk it to death. Wouldn't be surprised if we get a Persona 5 Arena announcement in the next couple years.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, aren't Atlus supposed to be announcing like seven Persona-related games this year and the next four the series' 25th? I imagine it's gonna be six Persona 5 spin-offs and Persona 6 at the very tail end.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, aren't Atlus supposed to be announcing like seven Persona-related games this year and the next four the series' 25th? I imagine it's gonna be six Persona 5 spin-offs and Persona 6 at the very tail end.

They said they will announce 7 "projects" which is pretty vaguely worded so they're probably not all games. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is just announcing an online concert or something on that level.
But Persona 6 is almost certainly one of them since they announced a bunch of merchandise featuring a set of the main characters of each numbered game in the series with the last one just being a blank "?" slot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One of the announcements is this month, annoyed that we don't know what day though. Also its color was yellow so it might be P4 related? Ultimax port????????

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It would be nice to see a character or two from an older game pop up as a confidant or something, especially since they have had a decade+ happen between games now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want them to acknowledge P1-2.

Please. Give me Michel. Give me Mr. Ramen Cook Visual Kei Band man.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

bobjr posted:

It would be nice to see a character or two from an older game pop up as a confidant or something, especially since they have had a decade+ happen between games now.

You mean like our good friend Tanaka and his Amazing Commodities?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DanielCross posted:

You mean like our good friend Tanaka and his Amazing Commodities?

I think he meant like, adult Navajo.

Hellioning posted:

I just want them to acknowledge P1-2.

Please. Give me Michel. Give me Mr. Ramen Cook Visual Kei Band man.

Same, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I think he meant like, adult Navajo.

That would have been a very different Persona 4.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DanielCross posted:

That would have been a very different Persona 4.

That's my prediction for persona 6, Cory Witherill will be a social link. Or maybe a persona I dunno.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don't know if this has been posted before, but this is an amazing metal cover of "Rivers in the Desert"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0jYmJ2iV8

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but this is an amazing metal cover of "Rivers in the Desert"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0jYmJ2iV8

Man I was skeptical when I saw this post. But yeah - don't sleep on this. I say that as perhaps one of the biggest music snobs ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Since we're on the subject, here are a couple of my favorite Persona covers:

P5S's 'Welcome to the Jail' by damusicmahn - dude has a pretty good list of Persona covers on Spotify and I can't wait for this one to be added. The guitar solo kicking in at 1:35 is great.

P5's 'Butterfly Kiss' by FamilyJules - the lead guitar is almost melancholic at times in this song, which echoes Takemi's hidden side in the game.