Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CPColin posted:

hbag is younger than the switch from calling them "directories" to calling them "folders". Also, the best version of Windows, 2000, came out well before they were born.

I'm pretty sure they were called folders in System 1.0 in 1984, so about half of yospos is younger than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hidden traps in the money house

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im about to refactor my music and movie stashes using symlinks, wonder how the kids would fare with that

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm pretty sure they were called folders in System 1.0 in 1984, so about half of yospos is younger than that.

The switch in Windows, then

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

oh hey is this the room where all the crusty old bitches are kvetching about those darned zoomers and their EYE PADS

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

oh hey is this the room where all the crusty old bitches are kvetching about those darned zoomers and their EYE PADS

not until you brought it up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
zoomers dont use tablets lol they just live on their phones

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

im about to refactor my music and movie stashes using symlinks, wonder how the kids would fare with that

in over ten years in my current position i have come across exactly 2 people that understood what a symlink was

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

in over ten years in my current position i have come across exactly 2 people that understood what a symlink was

yeah because it's called a shortcut

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah because it's called a shortcut

not in the l*nux world

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

not until you brought it up
put some cornstsrch on it, darling

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

not in the l*nux world

it's same difference and it's stupid that people can't dig it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I can't sleep because it's really hot and someone got shot in the face right outside. that's really heavy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

graph posted:

not in the l*nux world

just like most linux implementations of things that windows also implemented, the linux implementation is objectively inferior

it has the very base thing needed to work (being a directory entry that points to another file, whether or not it actually exists, by storing an absolute path), but that's it. no option for anything to visually distinguish itself (eg. icons), no way to pass a set of arguments to a program it points to or change what its working directory should be, and the implementation is dependent on the filesystem driver itself and is not directly portable between different filesystems

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i woke up too early cause of cat happy sunday

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sometimes I wonder if some of those run out or perma’d still read the forums and reply in their heads

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

buy less albums

implying i bought them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

just like most linux implementations of things that windows also implemented, the linux implementation is objectively inferior

it has the very base thing needed to work (being a directory entry that points to another file, whether or not it actually exists, by storing an absolute path), but that's it. no option for anything to visually distinguish itself (eg. icons), no way to pass a set of arguments to a program it points to or change what its working directory should be, and the implementation is dependent on the filesystem driver itself and is not directly portable between different filesystems

bullshit on all points, isn't it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bump_fn posted:

i woke up too early cause of cat happy sunday
okay hbump

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jesus WEP posted:

okay hbump

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

eschaton posted:

sometimes I wonder if some of those run out or perma’d still read the forums and reply in their heads
hope not. sounds hosed up

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: being mad about/dwelling on things in elementary/high school math that were insane blocks for me, mentally

"variable"

if you showed me "x + 3 = 5", and tell me x is something called a "variable", that did not compute. clearly x could only be two. no variation

"function of x", like "y = f(x)"

i don't think i understood the word "function", maybe? or this meaning of "function". i'm still having trouble understanding my thinking at the time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

graph posted:

not in the l*nux world

windows has symlinks too (since vista) and they're different from "shortcuts"

https://ss64.com/nt/mklink.html

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

prefect posted:

cls: being mad about/dwelling on things in elementary/high school math that were insane blocks for me, mentally

"variable"

if you showed me "x + 3 = 5", and tell me x is something called a "variable", that did not compute. clearly x could only be two. no variation

i don't think i understood the word "function", maybe? or this meaning of "function". i'm still having trouble understanding my thinking at the time

don’t you literally gently caress and cum in computers for a living

a function is just the input->output like in programming

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Oh god Shaggaring is contagious

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CPColin posted:

Is she seriously named after a Vulcan

the inventor of the model t'pol

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's same difference and it's stupid that people can't dig it

windows does (did?) get finicky about them if you did a shortcut to a folder vs. a symlink, as I found out when I used them to shuffle game and software installs around between drives without reinstalling everything

I mainly used them for some big installs, but it made it handy to off-load something to a slower drive and in a better than default install location without reverifying or redownloading

before steam added install relocation, there was a utility that made symlinks and tracked then after relocation to avoid breaking steam's associations for games but it's handy for all sorts of folder referencing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ansible Adams posted:

what is the raccoon tree thing. it looks cool.

its a thin window curtain - like 30" across and about 5" down

wife didn't like it for the kitchen tho so gotta find somewhere else to put it for now hehe

it's held up by tension rods that they sell there too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

the inventor of the model t'pol

windows does (did?) get finicky about them if you did a shortcut to a folder vs. a symlink, as I found out when I used them to shuffle game and software installs around between drives without reinstalling everything

I mainly used them for some big installs, but it made it handy to off-load something to a slower drive and in a better than default install location without reverifying or redownloading

before steam added install relocation, there was a utility that made symlinks and tracked then after relocation to avoid breaking steam's associations for games but it's handy for all sorts of folder referencing

symlinks are pretty easy but junctions were big footguns so i never used them

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Using hard links for everything instead of soft links because I'm hardcore like that

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is an alias in mac os like a summink

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bump_fn posted:

it depends on what you mean by alias, there's the mac os alias in the menu that can point to files - similar to a symlink, but they can also link to other actions and such - i don't use them and am not too familiar with them. os x also supports traditional unix aliases as well, which is just a textual substitution for something else in the shell, it can be whatever

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

dunno, but I do know that you gotta make an alias rather than a symlink if you want spotlight to index it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

prefect posted:

"variable"

learn haskell, op

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

iirc:

alias points to a file or folder, so moving the file or folder will still work, and this is what you create in finder.

symlink points to a location so if you symlink to a folder then move the folder the symlink won't point to the new location. you need to create these in terminal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Symlink in the streets, hard link in the sheets

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bump_fn posted:

don’t you literally gently caress and cum in computers for a living

a function is just the input->output like in programming

no kidding--i got all a grades in math, even though i didn't understand some important conceptual parts

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got a C- in maths

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

no kidding--i got all a grades in math, even though i didn't understand some important conceptual parts

i dont really believe that you can grade peeps in conceptual understandin without having an actual conversation w em. but talkin exams dont scale so peeps do dumb poo poo w paper exams

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

hbag posted:

i got a C- in maths

How many of them :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

americans when they see a word spelled one character different than theyre used to