Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

lord funk posted:

well you just solved a 27 year old mystery for me. i went over to a friend's house as a kid, and his older brother was playing DOOM II. he explained that you could just download the game from aol.

so i told my folks that you could get software for free on aol, and they were like... 'uhhhhhhh, sure kid.' so i tried to prove them wrong by searching aol's weird file hosting system, but of course, there was only fan art and other bullshit for DOOM.

i always wondered how that was set up back then

me and my friends found where alllll the wav files were stored and just made flash soundboards with them and customized all our win98 sounds (and I installed the dbz cursor pack so the loading icon was goku going super saiyan :clint:)

I wish we had figured out that other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

people who say warez like Juarez

I knew a guy in high school who did that. We argued about it a bunch of times.

He was also the shroom dealer and at one point the cops came to his house and he freaked out and locked himself in the bathroom and cut his wrists. He lived but I didn't see him much after that.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

those people now say gif as "jif"

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Pretty sure there was a warez.com

Also wasn't astalavista a site for downloading LEGIT FOR REAL HACKING TOOLS?

(I pronounced it juarez before I learned what it came from)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
astalavista.box.sk

had lots of video game piracy poo poo like cracks or no cd tools, but was always a risk cause you never knew what you were really downloading

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cyberian outpost

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Midjack posted:

cyberian outpost

circa 1999 they sent everything overnight for free

ordering a 79 cent IDE cable at midnight and the Airborne Express guy ringing my doorbell at 8:05

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

`Nemesis posted:

astalavista.box.sk

had lots of video game piracy poo poo like cracks or no cd tools, but was always a risk cause you never knew what you were really downloading

NOCD cracks omg

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i was more of a gamecopyworld guy, myself

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

using software to fake mount an ISO as a cd drive

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so it wasn’t pronounced juarez? thats what my friends and i always thought as kids.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sweevo posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

`Nemesis posted:

astalavista.box.sk

thanks to a nocd crack from there i was able to significantly improve morrowind's performance at the time because the drm ate 5-8 frames in a game that already had engine problems, partly because netimmerse (now gamebryo) had no occlusion, amazing

people are cracking legitimate copies of resident evil: village due to similar drm performance issues so i guess nothing changes lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

using software to fake mount an ISO as a cd drive

time to burn a cd, better disconnect from the internet, turn off the screensaver, close any other programs, do a little luck dance then start it being careful not to move the mouse after clicking the button and tiptoe out of the room

*comes back an hour later to see it failed at 97%*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oh yeah and don’t forget burning it at 1x speed

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tomtom

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The_Franz posted:

time to burn a cd, better disconnect from the internet, turn off the screensaver, close any other programs, do a little luck dance then start it being careful not to move the mouse after clicking the button and tiptoe out of the room

*comes back an hour later to see it failed at 97%*

when it finally succeeds you find the mp3s are the poison ones released by record companies that have a screeching noise in the middle of every song

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mp3 loops of a song's chorus shared on p2p

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Madonna: “What the gently caress do you think you’re doing?”

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

eschaton posted:

Madonna: “What the gently caress do you think you’re doing?”

people said that to anyone listening to post ~1990 madonna songs anyway

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

also saying the word warez out loud for any reason

I knew a guy who said it like "war, es"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

I knew a guy who said it like "war, es"

do you know how juarez is pronounced

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

not with a pause

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I worked with a guy who steadfastly insisted that it was pronounced Juarez, so any time I had to say “software” to him, which was frequently since we were in IT support, I made sure to say “softjuar”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sweevo posted:

false

i say jif bc i'm a choosy mom but i would never pronounce "warez" as "juarez."

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Nocd cracks were my poo poo. I would buy legit games and still install cracks because gently caress disc swapping all the drat time.

Oh also my public library had legit copies of a lot of PC games where I'd do that too. iirc that was how I got both GTA Vice City and UT2k4 on PC.

Related: being very insistent about how superior the PC ports of the GTA games were.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i have some bad news about the letter z for you jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i have some bad news about the letter z for you jonny

please, tell me more about the letter z

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The British call it "Zed"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the use of aggressive s was a sign of danger on the web the its disappearance from prominent website names is a sad sign of the times for the weary netizen

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Volmarias posted:

in warez* they call it zeta

*juarez

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i’m going to get you.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

i’m going to get you.
what are you going to get him, beep?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not if i jet you first!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Volmarias posted:

hosed up if true

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
is it not pronounced “yif?”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

not if i jet you first!

doh ho ho!!!!!!! your just making it worse!!!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

is it not pronounced “yif?”

would not recommend searching for yif gif on a work computer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl