Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part about how unsubtle the cannibals were is how Krest spends the entire time going "wow this is hosed" and "what was anyone actually expecting here"

Though the opening to the area essentially being the Metro swallowing up Artyom and the rest again and Miller's response to the obvious happening was also p good

e: It's still weird how little it matters that Miller's on two prosthetic legs, though you can hear them clank softly when he's in full dress through his boots.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

e: It's still weird how little it matters that Miller's on two prosthetic legs, though you can hear them clank softly when he's in full dress through his boots.

I dunno. There was a US Army Ranger who lost one leg, then worked harder than a motherfucker to get back in the regiment and did so well he went out on ops again. IIRC, he used some hybrid of a blade leg and a more regular leg.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
One of Britain’s aces in WW2 had lost both his legs. He was less susceptible to blacking out in high g turns.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dogen posted:

One of Britain’s aces in WW2 had lost both his legs. He was less susceptible to blacking out in high g turns.
The relevant point of comparison here is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksey_Maresyev

(Even leaving aside the real person, pretty every in the USSR would have read "The Story of a Real Man")

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RBA Starblade posted:

The best part about how unsubtle the cannibals were is how Krest spends the entire time going "wow this is hosed" and "what was anyone actually expecting here"

Though the opening to the area essentially being the Metro swallowing up Artyom and the rest again and Miller's response to the obvious happening was also p good

I like to think that the cannibal leader's VA was reading his lines and the director was like, "no, no, more evil" and they kept going back and forth like that for a while until the delivery was so over-the-top, preposterously mustache-twirling that it obliterated any opportunity for a surprise twist.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Krest is one of the the best characters in the game imo. Everyone else feels naive compared to him. His little side conversations are all really good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Another chapter restart - the game thought I've killed the bandit who attacked me at the start of the desert chapter.

I did end up killing him and his friends when they showed up to make me an offer. Which resulted in the Baron retroactively realizing his observation post was "wiped out". Hope that doesn't mean a retroactive karma point deduction.

Showed up at a canyon where the bandits were discussing recruiting a particular slave leader. Decided to walk away and wait until nigh time - when I came back, all the bandits were gone. No one around except two dogs. Man, this game is easy to gently caress up.

Goddamn, it's so easy to kill yourself by falling down a 2 foot incline or just going down stairs.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 14, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Killing that guy actually forecloses a bad ending for the region, although I don't believe it affects Artyom's party.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As I recall in the Caspian you can kill members of the slavers all you want? But if you start killing the slaves forced to fight that is when things turn bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

As I recall in the Caspian you can kill members of the slavers all you want? But if you start killing the slaves forced to fight that is when things turn bad.

Yeah you can kill slavers and bandits as much as you want. I’m not too clear on whether it’s kosher to kill the slaves(?) who are armed and will attack you (the ones who will call out to their masters, etc.) so I’ve typically erred on the side of caution and knocked them out when necessary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah you can kill slavers and bandits as much as you want. I’m not too clear on whether it’s kosher to kill the slaves(?) who are armed and will attack you (the ones who will call out to their masters, etc.) so I’ve typically erred on the side of caution and knocked them out when necessary.
I was stealthy enough that I basically never saw hostile armed slaves.

Apparently no one ever bothered to make a stealth playthrough? Probably because stealth is forcibly broken so often. Is there even a way to sneak up on the Caspian tower sniper?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

I was stealthy enough that I basically never saw hostile armed slaves.

Apparently no one ever bothered to make a stealth playthrough? Probably because stealth is forcibly broken so often. Is there even a way to sneak up on the Caspian tower sniper?

Anna just shot him for me halfway through trying lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's easy to miss but the gangster whose car you steal and who tries to bargain with Artyom has a plan to replace the Baron with a lookalike. If you kill the Baron without killing either the gangster or the lookalike you unwittingly complete the hardest part of his plan for him. You will hear worse radio messages from the Caspian region as you head east if you miss killing both of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know you could even get radio updates on the Aurora, I thought it was just the plot thing and some tunes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They don't call you personally but you can overhear other people talking to each other. For example if you get the good ending of the Taiga level you pick up messages from bandits calling for help as the Children and the Pirates roll through them on their way out of the valley.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know if the Ranger hardcore trophy will pop if you do it on NG+? I think I might have asked this a long time ago and forgot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Miller is being the oldest of the metro old men, consistently taking his time on stairs and escalators, much to my frustration. Speedrunners hate this one trick.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 15, 2021

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xander77 posted:

Miller is being the oldest of the metro old men, consistently taking his time on stairs and escalators, much to my frustration. Speedrunners hate this one trick.

Nevermind I guess you found the rail gun.

The Dead city is great at having the classic metro feel but it's such a slog.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Decided this will be the next game to cross off my backlog now that I have a new GPU.

On one hand I feel really smart and cool taking down a whole building non-lethally and mostly unseen.

On the other I feel like an idiot after spending way to much time looking for a railway switch after hooking the railer to the passenger car when there wasn’t one.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Decided this will be the next game to cross off my backlog now that I have a new GPU.

On one hand I feel really smart and cool taking down a whole building non-lethally and mostly unseen.

On the other I feel like an idiot after spending way to much time looking for a railway switch after hooking the railer to the passenger car when there wasn’t one.

The game is awesome.

There is a switch though, just a bit farther up the track.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Sorry for dredging this up but I brought the game on deep sale yesterday and after the corridor shooters that were the first two Metros, having an open world is a huge breath of fresh air. I'm still very early in - just dealt with the cult without firing a shot, and I appreciated them accepting Artyom's role as supreme badass. My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. senses are firing now; Exodus is shaping up to be a great companion piece to that franchise. Hell, once I'm done, I'll probably start the Call of Chernobyl mod for more Russian shoot-and-loot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

Sorry for dredging this up but I brought the game on deep sale yesterday and after the corridor shooters that were the first two Metros, having an open world is a huge breath of fresh air. I'm still very early in - just dealt with the cult without firing a shot, and I appreciated them accepting Artyom's role as supreme badass. My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. senses are firing now; Exodus is shaping up to be a great companion piece to that franchise. Hell, once I'm done, I'll probably start the Call of Chernobyl mod for more Russian shoot-and-loot.

Metro Exodus absolutely hit the same chords as STALKER for me; its my favorite game in the series bar-none.

The STALKER thread is still pretty active on this forums, although I think the GAMMA Mod dominates the discussion nowadays (and I definitely love GAMMA so I'm not complaining). Might be worth popping in once you're done with Exodus.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did they ever add manual saves? I remember quitting after i lost several hours of progress.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

dogstile posted:

Did they ever add manual saves? I remember quitting after i lost several hours of progress.

Nope, still just quick saves, which kinda rankles me, but at least they're decent with checkpointing.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Metro Exodus absolutely hit the same chords as STALKER for me; its my favorite game in the series bar-none.

The STALKER thread is still pretty active on this forums, although I think the GAMMA Mod dominates the discussion nowadays (and I definitely love GAMMA so I'm not complaining). Might be worth popping in once you're done with Exodus.

I was just there a few days ago asking for any good mods for Call of Prypiat! S.T.A.L.K.E.R. still rules, and I'm counting down the days for number two.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

And that's Exodus done. Terrific stuff. Good gunplay, interesting locations; it had its flaws and frustrating parts but otherwise really good stuff. I especially liked the way the crew was handled and developed; everybody had lots of time to shine as opposed to spending all the time as just Artyom in the first two games.

I just wish you weren't railroaded (ha-ha) as much and there were only two really big open-world sections. Sounds like the "Sam's Story" DLC is more of that while the "Two Colonels" one is pure combat, which isn't bad. I'll get to them sometime down the line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sam's story is good, two colonels is pretty bad. At least it's short

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No way two colonels is a great bit of story and a fun callback to the sewer crawling of the first two games. It’s a humble little dlc compared to sams story but I loved it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yep Two Colonels is just a fun linear side story

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I found the process of slowly, methodically making my way through the sewers of The Two Colonels and incinerating all of the goo I came across to be strangely satisfying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One, two, colonels kneel before you,

That's what I said now

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Two colonels one metro

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

There were worms down in those sewers, too; the largest worms you'd ever seen, goo covered worms, slime like you wouldn't believe. The idea that somebody would see all of this and suggest it's not good DLC is preposterous

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hated that slime.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The guy who wrote the Metro 203X novels was just sentenced to 8 years in prison for being critical of Russia's invasion of Ukraine

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-2033-...e/#comment-jump

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The guy who wrote the Metro 203X novels was just sentenced to 8 years in prison for being critical of Russia's invasion of Ukraine

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-2033-...e/#comment-jump

quote:

Fortunately for Glukhovsky, he is not actually in Russia, and was sentenced in absentia. His current whereabouts are unknown.

Glukhovsky owns hope he's alright

Dogen
May 5, 2002

He’s UNDER Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if he’s been hiding for a while, the Metro novels aren’t exactly subtle. Hopefully he hides a bit harder now.