Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
There is absolutely nothing like WoWS out there, unfortunately. I have never really cared about the drama but even I would be tempted to jump ship now if there was an alternative. Also I just dropped 9k doubloons on the dockyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Thronde posted:

So glad I quit this shitshow way back.

It's been two years since my mates and I gave it up but as others have said... there is nothing out there like WoWs.

Sometimes I miss the old CBT days. Getting into that Omaha for the first time only to learn the hard way that Furataka shells were loving street wreckers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out Yuro is a gamer word enthusiast, which is a bummer since his videos used to be pretty fun, but of course they also always leaned dangerously close to some pretty shady poo poo so it's not a huge surprise.

Screen caps from the CC discord, apparently Yuro's own Discord. He also called the CCs who quit yesterday "monkeys" and when he got called out on it, issued the most "I'm sorry you got offended" non-apology ever.

Huh it really is weird that the game's playerbase is toxic when WG's cherished CCs act like this.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 15, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

He hosed up, realised he hosed up, and he owned loving up. That's more than we can say about WG :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wibla posted:

That's more than we can say about WG :v:

Yeah but that bar is so low it's currently in the 3rd sub-sewer under the ruins of an ancient sewer civilization.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So is there some "reset all commanders" button like alst time that i missed?
I see i have 100% discount on captain resets, but i hope theres an easier way than resetting all manually

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I see i have 100% discount on captain resets, but i hope theres an easier way than resetting all manually

Yeah, I used it. I don't have the link at the moment but it's somewhere on the website.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yuro no :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yolomon Wayne posted:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/general-news/resetting-skills-for-all-commanders/

:negative:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

#gamerwordbeats

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Been going all :suspense: with the CC Apocalypse stuff, heard something about a USS Yukon ship or ship skin mentioned a few times in various videos, what's that all about ?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wargaming decided to add a fictional Canadian battleship based on uhh I think the Monarch, or one of the other British BBs. LittleWhiteMouse might've proposed this, she was definitely involved in some capacity. She and and a friend put a ton of work into it, sent in gameplay suggestions based on her really extensive analysis of the game's other premiums, even made a custom skin and got it all set up to work correctly in Wargaming's formats so it could just go straight in game. They worked on this for at least a year, maybe more.

Eventually it turned out all their work had just been ignored and thrown in the proverbial dumpster, and when they complained about this they were told there'd been a miscommunication (or something) and they were never supposed to be giving any input. The ship came out and sucked, was a complete scam not worth buying. They didn't use the skin.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

General Battuta posted:

Wargaming decided to add a fictional Canadian battleship based on uhh I think the Monarch, or one of the other British BBs. LittleWhiteMouse might've proposed this, she was definitely involved in some capacity. She and and a friend put a ton of work into it, sent in gameplay suggestions based on her really extensive analysis of the game's other premiums, even made a custom skin and got it all set up to work correctly in Wargaming's formats so it could just go straight in game. They worked on this for at least a year, maybe more.

Eventually it turned out all their work had just been ignored and thrown in the proverbial dumpster, and when they complained about this they were told there'd been a miscommunication (or something) and they were never supposed to be giving any input. The ship came out and sucked, was a complete scam not worth buying. They didn't use the skin.

...why

it would've been a free pr coup for WG regardless of how much they don't give a gently caress about the customer

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

suck my woke dick posted:

...why

it would've been a free pr coup for WG regardless of how much they don't give a gently caress about the customer

We have absolutely no idea. Warships' PR specifically has completely fallen off of a cliff in the last six months, it's unbelievable. The entire CC program is falling apart in front of them and they haven't done a single substantive thing to fix it.

Like, The Mighty Jingles has announced he's no longer going to be a CC. I don't know if they realize just how loving important Jingles in particular and all the other CCs in general are to the survival of their game. Without LWM on board they've lost their primary source of advertisement for all their new premium ships, which only is beneficial if they want to start releasing a welter of completely dogshit premiums to fleece unaware people. Jingles is, arguably, their number one source of advertisement, and the other quitting CCs make up a huge goddamn chunk of the rest of their prominent community playtesters, streamers, and content makers. That's an enormous amount of free advertising and highly respected word-of-mouth that's vanishing before their eyes.

World of Tanks does not appear to be doing this kind of absurd nonsense, either, which is kind of a baffling contrast.

Edit:

quote:

As of August 15 12:00 UTC, the following CCs are known to have resigned: Aetam, AprilWhiteMouse, Athotek101, BL4CK_SK, ChaosMachineGR, ClydeTheMonkey, Denarmo, DobbyM8, DocBrighter, Flambass, iChase, Jingles, MageT, Malimoo, Mr.Gibbins, PointyHairedJedi, Privateer, TheGrumpyBeard, Turry, Yuzral

LOOK at that. Not just Jingles and WhiteMouse -- iChase? Flambass? How much of Warships' audience is funneled into it through those three channels? And they lost Flamu previously (though Flamu was also somewhat different of a case).

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 16, 2021

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Wargaming were lovely to someone who does thousands of hours of work for them for free, for no identifiable reason (probably because she's a woman though, their history is not great on that). A bunch of CCs quit in solidarity, and probably also because nobody wants to be pigeonholed as a world of warships streamer in 2021.

The warships monetization is increasingly about trying to get EnsignClarkUSN_1982 to spend $500 buying the ship his dad served on (or the ship named after his state, etc), and that sucks. But it's a video game so people talk about that like they're funneling revenue to Lukashenko which they probably are.

I don't think they actually care about the CCs leaving since EnsignClarkUSN_1982 doesn't watch streams. There were already a lot of CCs that told people not to buy things.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

James Garfield posted:

Wargaming were lovely to someone who does thousands of hours of work for them for free, for no identifiable reason (probably because she's a woman though, their history is not great on that). A bunch of CCs quit in solidarity, and probably also because nobody wants to be pigeonholed as a world of warships streamer in 2021.

The warships monetization is increasingly about trying to get EnsignClarkUSN_1982 to spend $500 buying the ship his dad served on (or the ship named after his state, etc), and that sucks. But it's a video game so people talk about that like they're funneling revenue to Lukashenko which they probably are.

I don't think they actually care about the CCs leaving since EnsignClarkUSN_1982 doesn't watch streams. There were already a lot of CCs that told people not to buy things.

It's not just streams, it's Youtube as well -- and they've been pumping a bunch of money and effort into Youtube advertising. This is a gigantic blow to that, if all three of those guys stop funneling people into the game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Jingles already left the CC program years ago in another, unrelated scandal?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

wdarkk posted:

I thought Jingles already left the CC program years ago in another, unrelated scandal?

No, he left the World of Tanks CC program about 3 years ago, but was still a WOWs CC.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i stopped playing this game a couple months after the CV rework. my favorite class was DDs and it completely ruined them for me. eventually it made me so mad that i just quit and told myself i'd return once they fixed it.

it's funny to check in after all this time and see they've just got worse. something is fundamentally hosed with the leadership @ wargaming.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I kept hoping that eventually WG would unfuck itself and start making the game better and I would be able to play it again.

Hope was a mistake. :smith:

E: the Yuro thing is a special kind of gross all on its own.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 16, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To sum up some brief points...

-LWM and Chobi's work on "Something which is not Yukon" began after an NA office staff member talked to them and offered the collaboration way back well over a year before the release (1.5 years maybe? Covid completely threw off the original timetable). Incidentally, said NA staff member has apologized to them since, as far as I'm aware. It was interference from the corporate main office in St. Petersburg (not even the development section) which hosed everything up and resulted in the mess and abuse that followed. The general gist of WG's response was basically that it wasn't WG's fault that they thought that they were contributing something because there'd been no agreement, and when they proved that yes, they actually did have a signed contract it just changed to a different (still non-apologetic) tack - Obviously that was all done much more abusively than that relatively clean explanation.

-The recent final breaking points were WG lying on their Q&A to a question LWM posed that she specifically posed two answers to and asked which one was correct regarding the MO credit situation for long-time owners (they cited translation miscommunication later, because of course they did). And then her asking for three things to be done to prove WG was actually taking their promises to improve seriously. Sub_Octavian agreed with the first two, which were just words (a promise to work on WG's corporate culture, and updates on a supposedly upcoming ship that's ANOTHER piece of concern), but refused the only tangible one, which was to implement the camo that had been worked on by LWM/Chobi for Yukon to prove that at least some of their work wasn't going to waste. And then on the 12th she got viciously verbally abused by some WG employee on their Discord, and any sort of conciliatory gesture (along the lines of "sorry for that employee") was extremely slow in coming.

And so, she quit. And it's opened an avalanche of other CCs, major and minor, quitting as well.
Fairly recent list:

quote:

LittleWhiteMouse
TheMightyJingles
Flambass
iChase
Mr.Gibbins
DocBrighter
ClydeTheMonkey
Yuzral
Athotek101
Turry
Malimoo
Privateer
DobbyM8
BL4CK_SK
TheGrumpyBeard
ChaosMachineGR
Denarmo
Aetam
MageT

Several have already released videos, LWM has made some explanations on various social platforms, and more are coming. But the gist of it is that the CC program has been a disaster for a while now, with various CCs pointing to different (but probably related) things. iChase mentioned that their was an incredibly noticeable shift in the responses they were getting from WG management years ago, and speculated there may have been some change in the executive management. LWM more directly pointed to an issue in the CC program itself where it shifted, due to some dumbshit newly installed PR person, from a friendly, cooperative program for improving the game collectively for a while after launch into a vicious competition between CCs to see who actually got the rewards - basically promoting the confrontational, sensationalistic type of content that you started to see popping. And then, when some of said confrontational aggression started to get turned on WG - since, you know, at least some of that crowd actually wanted problems addressed and the game improved too - they basically just started ignoring the CCs entirely.

So like, for all I know WG's corporate culture is incredibly misogynistic (and yeah, it probably is), and said abuse of LWM may have tapped into that to add even more nasty comments to their diatribe, but said misogyny isn't WHY they completely ignored their work - that's just good old WG having just become a complete pile of poo poo that's been abusing all their CCs and basically ignoring practically all the work any of them are putting in. The Yukon saga was just a particularly egregious example done to one of their best.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2021

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

i stopped playing this game a couple months after the CV rework. my favorite class was DDs and it completely ruined them for me. eventually it made me so mad that i just quit and told myself i'd return once they fixed it.

DD's are probably in the best place they've been in the game, ever, actually. The spotting issue hasn't changed but for the first time most CVs have difficulty actually doing anything to DDs now and anectodedly (as mentioned above), it feels like CV's are being played slightly less. I find most games have 4 DDs per team these days, for that reason possibly. And aside from CVs, DDs still have the most influence on a match.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

You're probably thinking of Flamu, who is - understandably - having a field day with this.

https://youtu.be/Y61Cfc2ZNvw

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

It's worth noting that Mouse and her friend absolutely [b]were[/b asked to contribute to the ship for Canada Day (because they are very well known Canadian bote enthusiasts and at some point someone figured it would be a nice little PR win) and have the receipts to prove it, but WG aren't allowing them to release them because "they're under NDA".

So just for some bizarre reason WG's reps decided to jerk one of their most visible and beloved CCs around, tried to gaslight her, tried to lie about jerking her around and gaslighting her, and finally after everything blew up in their faces in a very public and vocal way, said there had been "a miscommunication", and promised to do better.

Then literally a couple of weeks later they refused to actually do better (Mouse asked them to do a concrete thing instead of making vague promises about doing better, in this case putting in the already ready camo Chobi had made for them. They refused.), at which point Mouse quit in a public way. No doubt this is another miscommunication.

As to why this happened? Who the gently caress knows, but according to CCs their official WG contacts and handlers have been rude and condescending as gently caress for ages, dismiss any feedback and literally outright demand respect at the same time, so probably just some hosed up poo poo you can't possibly understand if you aren't a middle aged Russian man.

Apparently things were a LOT better back when NA and EU had their own contacts and handlers, but some time ago WG made those positions redundant and now everyone has to deal with the Russian devs directly.

Considering the poo poo we've seen in public when the dev team do give public statements, I can't even imagine what working with them is when they're speaking hidden behind an NDA.

E:

lol at Flamu's YouTube channel right now:

Just such amazing, good PR for WG. It's all going so well.

That Q&A video is absolutely worth watching BTW, if anyone wants to get some more "they don't even play their own game" fodder. Highlights include WG defending the upcoming German BB line by saying "the Petropavlovsk is a good brawler even though it has thin armour so the German BBs will as well", and claiming the Zao has good performance metrics (it doesn't) etc.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 16, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh lord, looks like Yuro didn't just stop at racism. He also posted a bunch of homophobic and anti-semitic poo poo. But, you know, cultural differences. Just didn't know.

Flamu's got screencaps in his video on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y61Cfc2ZNvw&t=309s

And over on Reddit the braintrust is going "everything is offensive now", "loving americans forcing their values on everyone else" and "it's not offensive in MY culture".

Just burn the whole game and the playerbase to the ground.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 16, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Well, looks like I chose a hell of a time to think about coming back.

Back when I played regularly, I never bought a Premium without waiting for LWM's review, which were always extremely informative. Seeing this shitstorm and the way she was treated...I think I'll just uninstall again.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

kaesarsosei posted:

DD's are probably in the best place they've been in the game, ever, actually. The spotting issue hasn't changed but for the first time most CVs have difficulty actually doing anything to DDs now and anecdotally (as mentioned above), it feels like CV's are being played slightly less. I find most games have 4 DDs per team these days, for that reason possibly. And aside from CVs, DDs still have the most influence on a match.

the spotting issue was the entire problem i had with it (but not the only). i was already close to quitting because of the lovely monetization, the overabundance of dumb gimmicks to keep track of, the enraging playerbase (half of which I'm not sure can tie their own shoes), etc.

i always like playing the stealthy class and found the DD gameplay where you carefully manage detection, use smokes intelligently, spot for teammates, etc the most fun part of it. then cvs got changed and were OP as poo poo and perma-spotted you and i was like "i quit."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I haven't spent any money on the game so I don't feel too bad for playing. I zoom around in my Benson a couple rounds a day and that's fun enough for me. :unsmith:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Anecdotally CVs are far less common post rocket plane nerf and the game is overwhelmingly vastly improved for it.

Unfortunately that means the few games where you do run in to them stick out as being that much more painful and poo poo.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

SpartanIvy posted:

I haven't spent any money on the game so I don't feel too bad for playing. I zoom around in my Benson a couple rounds a day and that's fun enough for me. :unsmith:

i spent way, way too much money on it and world of tanks and it makes me feel bad.

i even bought a one year premium a month before CVs were pushed upon us. so it had 9 months+ left on it to rot once i uninstalled.

Gwaihir posted:

Anecdotally CVs are far less common post rocket plane nerf and the game is overwhelmingly vastly improved for it.

Unfortunately that means the few games where you do run in to them stick out as being that much more painful and poo poo.

no! you won't suck me back in! i'm happier now!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
It's been so long I can't remember, but wasn't the spotting issue of CV's vs DD's just as bad, or even worse, in RTS days? I recall CV's dropping a squadron over a DD then they could go ahead and attack other ships while perma-spotting you. At least now if they want to do that they are wasting their damage potential. And fighters are not great at spotting for more than 10-20 secs because even mediocre DD AA will shoot them down that quickly.

Edit: I also just remembered for sure - planes spotted torpedo's in those days too LOL

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It was far worse but CVs were almost nonexistent in those days so it realistically impacted far fewer people.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The UI was pretty frustrating on RTS CV so most people just didn't bother learning how to get good with it. It had severe issues with multiple inputs, so directing several squads/maneuvering them for dogfights/strafes required some sort of Zen unity with the interface. Honestly though I think that system was more fixable with damage adjustments/aa adjustments than what we have now. The current CV gameplay loop is a recipe for dissatisfaction - heavily PvE based interactions in the middle of a PvP game are seldom rewarding for either party.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

kaesarsosei posted:

It's been so long I can't remember, but wasn't the spotting issue of CV's vs DD's just as bad, or even worse, in RTS days? I recall CV's dropping a squadron over a DD then they could go ahead and attack other ships while perma-spotting you. At least now if they want to do that they are wasting their damage potential. And fighters are not great at spotting for more than 10-20 secs because even mediocre DD AA will shoot them down that quickly.

Edit: I also just remembered for sure - planes spotted torpedo's in those days too LOL

No, you're right, RTS CVs were much worse and far more infuriating when the CV player knew what they were doing.

there just weren't that many of them. and sometimes you got lucky and your team had a good CV that basically nullified the opposing planes.

after the rework there were 2-3 in each game, so the overall experience was far worse.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Trillhouse posted:

No, you're right, RTS CVs were much worse and far more infuriating when the CV player knew what they were doing.

there just weren't that many of them. and sometimes you got lucky and your team had a good CV that basically nullified the opposing planes.

after the rework there were 2-3 in each game, so the overall experience was far worse.

There are fewer around now - lots of people just got bored of playing them, since almost all of the interaction is a PvE loop of CV vs AI controlled AA, eventually there is just absolutely no variety. The ones that are around tend to farm damage rather than go for DDs, because the tools to go for DDs have either been nerfed quite a bit (the recent rocket changes make it so that rocket planes have to lead ~5 seconds ahead of their target, making it more possible for a DD to dodge or at least angle. They also now "strafe" with machine guns first, that does no damage, but it tells you EXACTLY where their rockets are going to land, so you can adjust based on that) - or a line that has very limited interaction with DDs (German CVs, and FDR).

The spotting still CAN be oppressive, but it's hard to find situations in randoms where your team mates are going to really focus fire a DD that isn't very over extended. The gameplay choices you're forced to make if they do come spotting for you can get a little annoying, but again, this is far fewer than there were months ago. Now, in clan battles and competitive modes is where CVs are really ruining things - there are very few viable team tactics when faced with 2 sides that have perfect information.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

toadee posted:

There are fewer around now - lots of people just got bored of playing them, since almost all of the interaction is a PvE loop of CV vs AI controlled AA, eventually there is just absolutely no variety. The ones that are around tend to farm damage rather than go for DDs, because the tools to go for DDs have either been nerfed quite a bit (the recent rocket changes make it so that rocket planes have to lead ~5 seconds ahead of their target, making it more possible for a DD to dodge or at least angle. They also now "strafe" with machine guns first, that does no damage, but it tells you EXACTLY where their rockets are going to land, so you can adjust based on that) - or a line that has very limited interaction with DDs (German CVs, and FDR).

stop trying to be an enabler for me. i can't go back...i can't go back...

edit:

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 16, 2021

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

guys before you critique what ever bullshit they write, please respect that they spent all day thinking, a first for WG.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

guys before you critique what ever bullshit they write, please respect that they spent all day thinking, a first for WG.

They spent all day remembering how to think.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

The spotting was sort of worse as CVs had more squadrons, but it could also be denied by AA or friendly fighters. The damage was nowhere near as bad though, this despite elite players in RTS CV being able to cross torpedo a destroyer and guarantee a hit. (you can still cross drop with a rework CV and I even think it's easier, but nobody does because rocket planes exist)

Ultimately a very good CV player would kill you with either version (unless you were AA spec pre rework), and a total shitlord would miss all their attacks but troll you with the spotting, but mediocre CVs are a lot more dangerous and CV matches are more common.

The CV rework did remove the idiots who played 3/0/1 Saipan and auto dropped you with the 8x dive bomber squad for 10k RNG dependent damage, but I'm not sure trading that for rocket planes and Midway dive bombers was a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trillhouse posted:

It's 100% going to be miscommunication bullshit. We regret, we'll do better in the future, we apologize that these CCs felt not appreciated but I swear we value all of you even if we wipe our asses with all of your feedback.

P.S. please buy more premium ships