Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Well that’s the Vuelta over then. Good race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Watched the highlights, why did Pidcock finish with a leisurely roll over the line after sprinting the first 500 metres?

Told to lift off for some reason?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

wooger posted:

Watched the highlights, why did Pidcock finish with a leisurely roll over the line after sprinting the first 500 metres?

Told to lift off for some reason?

Ineos domestiques aren't supposed to try in TT's

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ineos domestiques aren't supposed to try in TT's

Yeah maybe, but what’s the harm? The lead rider losing face?

wooger fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 15, 2021

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

wooger posted:

Wastes energy.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Pros will train up to ~150 CTL in the month(s) leading to grand tours, then quickly taper in order to avoid starting with a negative TSB value. By the end of a grand tour, they will be closer to 200 CTL with a TSB of -75 or worse. They literally have no extra fitness or form to waste.

A week of a grand tour can be north of 1800 TSS, aka >257 TSS per day.

My absolute peak in one week of training was 1540 TSS on ~29 hours of riding. It took me 6 months of a steady ramp to do that without hurting myself.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Please introduce your TLAs when you first use them, TIA.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Pros will train up to ~150 CTL in the month(s) leading to grand tours, then quickly taper in order to avoid starting with a negative TSB value. By the end of a grand tour, they will be closer to 200 CTL with a TSB of -75 or worse. They literally have no extra fitness or form to waste.

A week of a grand tour can be north of 1800 TSS, aka >257 TSS per day.

My absolute peak in one week of training was 1540 TSS on ~29 hours of riding. It took me 6 months of a steady ramp to do that without hurting myself.

Sorry, what do those acronyms mean?
I get the concept of saving his effort, but it seems pointless to include a top level athlete like Pidcock and not allow him to even try in a hilly time trial.

I guess I don’t see the appeal to Pidcock of going from being a world / Olympic champion in one discipline, to labouring as effectively a cycling butler for someone else who may or may not be as talented.
Just a matter of earning his stripes on the road first?

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

According to Pidcock himself he was simply out of racing condition: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-pidcock-comes-through-horrible-vuelta-a-espana-opener/

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

better and more established riders than pidcock (kwiatkowski, poels, dennis,...) have ridden in support of the gc at sky. they know what they sign up for and they get their chances in elsewhere in classics or whatever.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is his first grand tour, he’s just there to learn to what it’s like and how you survive it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

I guess I don’t see the appeal to Pidcock of going from being a world / Olympic champion in one discipline, to labouring as effectively a cycling butler for someone else who may or may not be as talented.

Bernal is a better stage racer than Pidcock. He's already won the Tour and Pidcock is talking about maybe being able to go in 2 years.

I mean, it's very likely that Carapaz - the reigning Olympic champion in road racing, not MTB - is going to be a domestique for Bernal by the end.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Sorry, what do those acronyms mean?

TSS = training stress score. The number goes up based on intensity and duration. 100 TSS is equivalent to an all-out 60min effort. It is possible to do more than 100 TSS in 60min if your normalized power is greater than your average power.

CTL = chronic training load. It is the 42-day moving average of your daily TSS.

ATL = acute training load. It is the 7-day moving average of your daily TSS.

TSB = training stress balance. It is simply CTL minus ATL.

To put this into relative terms, the average weekend warrior probably had a CTL in the low double digits. Someone who trains 10 hours a week will probably be somewhere between 50-85 CTL depending on how intense their efforts. >100 CTL is highly trained and ~150 CTL is peaking for grand tour or ironman status.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Astana are gunning for the red jersey from bonus seconds at the intermediate sprint :clint:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Chute.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

RIP, all of Bora

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looks like at least half of them wanting attention.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think Jakobsen had that (:toot:)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well that last km was a mess

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

goatface posted:

Well that last km was a mess

Yeah, it was nasty. And looks like Philipsen after all

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Good for my fantasy team, bad for what I want to actually happen

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Love to see Matthews beaten on the line again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Up up and away!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I guess they’re letting the breakaway win today.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The fog has fallen with a particularly sickening thud.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Quite steep

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Northern Spain is full of roads that seem to have been built for no reason other than sadism.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LETS GO JOE

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Carapaz dropped, Valverde starts hammering the pace.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

loving lol that valverde can still go for it on a mountain like this

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Even funnier that Mas tried to get some time at the end and was chased down by Lopez. Movistar remain the best.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Oh poo poo my boy Taaramäe 🇪🇪

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Angryhead posted:

Oh poo poo my boy Taaramäe 🇪🇪

:yeah:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Richie 'Paz also has a 20" time penalty for illegal feeding, so this has not gone well so far for him

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ripchard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Even funnier that Mas tried to get some time at the end and was chased down by Lopez. Movistar remain the best.

Im glad Movistar are back to their best.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
JoDo managed to be down three minutes after a prologue and a sprint stage. checks out

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Red Jersey crash.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

Red Jersey crash.

Minor, inside the last 3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri