Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
we're talking about YOUR MOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

there must be a lot of australians in la these days because i'm noticing them show up uncommented in california shows. that didn't happen 10 years ago.

or maybe, there always was but it's only in the last 10 years or so with better diversity casting they just said gently caress it and put them in.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

wizardofloneliness posted:

In the montage at the end, they show Shane talking to the police and then walking off, so presumably they determined it wasn’t a crime and he was free to go. Who knows what kind of story he told them. A super rich white guy getting away with killing a dude isn’t exactly surprising anyway.

Shane just needs to say he was being attacked, the evidence is pretty clear that a guy who just got fired took a ton of drugs and broke into the room of the person who got him fired.He may have said some things to the other two employees on how he was going to murder Shane.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

roomtone posted:

there must be a lot of australians in la these days because i'm noticing them show up uncommented in california shows. that didn't happen 10 years ago.

or maybe, there always was but it's only in the last 10 years or so with better diversity casting they just said gently caress it and put them in.

Does casting an Australian count as diversity casting?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

CeeJee posted:

Shane just needs to say he was being attacked, the evidence is pretty clear that a guy who just got fired took a ton of drugs and broke into the room of the person who got him fired.He may have said some things to the other two employees on how he was going to murder Shane.

not to mention armond poo poo in his clothes — the evidence is right there!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm beginning to think that someone should just make a white lotus thread

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s over now so

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

IIRC it's because they are "nearly as good" as British actors, but much cheaper and better at accents

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

No poo poo.

No spoiler tags, v rude.

I made sure to watch the finale last night rather than wait until Monday like I normally would, and it was definitely the right decision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve watched the White Lotus episodes within hours of waking up on Monday morning every time until this week and now my brain is like doing a big pfffffffft but I hope it was good

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anyone watching Small Town News - KPVM Pahrump? I just finished the 3rd ep, I like this sorta stuff. Owner just made a comment that I'm sure will be interesting to see the outcome.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/1427329308079509514

Huh, well, if anyone is going to write a baseball show why not Mike Schur?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He's the only guy who could write a baseball show that I'd actually want to watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

phosdex posted:

Anyone watching Small Town News - KPVM Pahrump? I just finished the 3rd ep, I like this sorta stuff. Owner just made a comment that I'm sure will be interesting to see the outcome.

I'm going to jump on this soon, it sounds like my kinda show for sure.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Finished Brand New Cherry Flavor. Overall, really good. Recommended if you like horror and/or revenge plots where people are sheming and at each other's throats.

ending:

I think some of the characterisations got away from the show but because there are supernatural elements in flux throughout it still basically works if you assume that Lisa is generally hosed up on magic half the time and Lou is always performing.

The ending, by which I mean the last 15 minutes only, was a bit disappointing. The resolution of Lisa/Lou's conflict was that Lou admitted that he turned on her because she didn't want to gently caress him, but that was so obvious I assumed Lisa knew that all along but apparently she didn't? So she laughs at him and takes pity on him. Okay. Also Lisa/Boro didn't really get resolved either - Lisa just ran away and Boro switched into Lucy's body (she's not called lucy i forget the character's real name) which means she'll presumably go after Lisa who has now ran away to Brazil and given up on her movie. I dunno, that's not a fun resolution to me and fun is really what this show was.

The backstory of Lisa's mother was the least interesting part of the show so I suppose that's why her returning 'home' to Brazil didn't land for me.

But that was just the last 15 minutes, I really enjoyed all of the schemes and disgusting things that happened along the way. Poor Roy didn't deserve to get his head ripped off and eaten.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

roomtone posted:

Finished Brand New Cherry Flavor. Overall, really good. Recommended if you like horror and/or revenge plots where people are sheming and at each other's throats.

ending:

I think some of the characterisations got away from the show but because there are supernatural elements in flux throughout it still basically works if you assume that Lisa is generally hosed up on magic half the time and Lou is always performing.

The ending, by which I mean the last 15 minutes only, was a bit disappointing. The resolution of Lisa/Lou's conflict was that Lou admitted that he turned on her because she didn't want to gently caress him, but that was so obvious I assumed Lisa knew that all along but apparently she didn't? So she laughs at him and takes pity on him. Okay. Also Lisa/Boro didn't really get resolved either - Lisa just ran away and Boro switched into Lucy's body (she's not called lucy i forget the character's real name) which means she'll presumably go after Lisa who has now ran away to Brazil and given up on her movie. I dunno, that's not a fun resolution to me and fun is really what this show was.

The backstory of Lisa's mother was the least interesting part of the show so I suppose that's why her returning 'home' to Brazil didn't land for me.

But that was just the last 15 minutes, I really enjoyed all of the schemes and disgusting things that happened along the way. Poor Roy didn't deserve to get his head ripped off and eaten.

She knew it was why he did it, she just needed to hear him say it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

nah i disagree. it isn't how the scene was written or played.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

ending:

I think they left a lot ambiguous in the end, centrally: does Lisa finally decide to give up on revenge because she no longer wishes to sacrifice the people around her in pursuit of her dream, or is she possessed? I leant towards the former, but I had a friend make a decent argument about the latter.

That said, if Lisa isn't possessed, then her choice to go back to Brazil isn't really running away or giving up. She got what she really wanted out of the entire thing, and now she has no real motivation to deal with predatory Hollywood fuckfaces or that whole rat race anymore.

I think the ending's strong, it's just super super abrupt.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So who turned out to be the White Lotus?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The White Lotus was in our hearts all along

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was the friends we made along the way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

So who turned out to be the White Lotus?

It was so successful that the Lotus is now expanding into a full resort chain.

I love that this is TV’s version of Benoit Blanc stories now

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gaunab posted:

This weekend I got addicted to and finished the HBO reality show FBoy Island and since I can't find a general trashy reality tv show thread I'm going to share my thoughts here quickly.

The concept of the show is that 3 women are on an island with 24 men half of which are nice guys and the other half self-proclaimed f-boys. Despite the fact that the show is on HBO and they can pretty much say whatever they want to the still say f-boy instead of gently caress boy which is a little charming. It's a classic dating show where the guys are vying for the affection of one of the 3 girls but if the girl chooses an f-boy he has the chance to reject her for a cash prize. As you watch the show, you can tell when the producers put their hand on the scale to try to keep the show in track with the premise. If like reality dating shows I recommend it but I will say that some of the episodes drag and could be trimmed a little more and Nikki Glaser needs a little work as a host. All in in all trashy in a good way and would recommend: 7/10.

I thought it totally fell apart half way through. It got in its own way with too many twists and basically abandons the premise when they get all the guys to just say who they are.

Also, it was bullshit the way they took the money from the guy at the end. He won it fair and square, even if he was a dick. If it comes back I hope they streamline it a little and just let it play out.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Just make a White Lotus thread please

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah you're all thwarting my attempts to turn this into the brand new cherry flavour thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Just make a White Lotus thread please

Show’s over, baby! Unless you’re looking for a place to share cool production stories, in which case, I’ll make it immediately

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You guys have made me want to watch White Lotus so it'd be kinda cool if there was a thread you could post so I don't accidentally scroll over one of the many spoilers here.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thanks to this thread, all I know about White Lotus is dong and poop

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I, too, am furious when people talk about TV in the TV chat thread. People do need to mention what show they’re talking about in tags though

Anyway I did just finish The White Lotus, it was very good, strongly recommended, I’m very glad it became a hit, I was expecting I’d be one of the only people posting about it like with Enlightened

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So with the Olympics being over I noticed that the BBC War of the Worlds was on Peacock, so I thought "oh! Finally time to watch that!"

It is pretty good, I liked the setting and the gimmick. The wife and I were really getting into and after finishing episode 3 she goes "how many episodes are in the first season" which is when I realized it was a 3-part miniseries...
:cripes:

So, since we finished that we started Loki and I am really enjoying it. Someone called it Doctor Who for Americans and that isn't inaccurate.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thanks to this thread, all I know about White Lotus is dong and poop

The last few pages just being walls of black text like a redacted government report is fun...it's been a while since something has caught the thread's attention like that.

...that being said I have no idea what that show is about and don't really have any desire to find out. No idea why it occupies this black hole in my mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's like a dozen posts about White Lotus here. When anyone mentions Supernatural there's 3 pages of discussion about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DrVenkman posted:

Also, it was bullshit the way they took the money from the guy at the end. He won it fair and square, even if he was a dick.

I thought this part was actually loving great and hilarious, and I loved it. The guy turned around, pulled down his pants, and showed the world exactly who he is. And then he didn't even get money for it. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I thought it totally fell apart half way through. It got in its own way with too many twists and basically abandons the premise when they get all the guys to just say who they are.

Also, it was bullshit the way they took the money from the guy at the end. He won it fair and square, even if he was a dick. If it comes back I hope they streamline it a little and just let it play out.

Oh most definitely. I think the producers had more faith that the women would choose the nice guys than they should have which resulted in all the twist and shake-ups. It's been renewed so I hope they work on it some more.

How are u posted:

I thought this part was actually loving great and hilarious, and I loved it. The guy turned around, pulled down his pants, and showed the world exactly who he is. And then he didn't even get money for it. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

I get that but everyone knew what he was the first time he spoke and if he somehow won got to the end despite that, he deserved his prize. He is one of those guys who probably floats through life without problems; hell he was recently seen with Sarah.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 16, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I thought the status reveal halfway through the show was actually a fine idea. Letting the ladies develop initial impressions of the guys and then forcing them to confront the revealed status led to that one woman just clobbering herself over and over as she rationalized her slow but steady march towards picking the fuckboy in the end. And then immediately getting burned for it. What a fun lesson to learn on national tv.

Gaunab posted:

I get that everyone knew what he was the first time he spoke and if he somehow won got to the end despite that, he deserved his prize. He is one of those guys who probably floats through life without problems; hell he was recently seen with Sarah.

:lol: you've got to be kidding me. They deserve each other.

But I very much disagree that he deserved a prize. Gross rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve any prize for being a gross rear end in a top hat, in my book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Yeah Season 11 now for the original. Last season before they spinoff to Daryl and Carol.

Jesus. If it was a one season thing it would be incredibly fondly remembered- I actually just rewatched S1 and it was killer. S2 had major pacing problems but it was at least decent. It’s just been… why? For like 8 years.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

How are u posted:

But I very much disagree that he deserved a prize. Gross rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve any prize for being a gross rear end in a top hat, in my book.

Nah. He was walking red flags, if she still chose him then that's on her. They laid out the premise at the start and then pulled it because they didn't like who won. Being a gross rear end in a top hat was literally why they put him in there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

yeah you're all thwarting my attempts to turn this into the brand new cherry flavour thread

Such a good show. Hope this means more people will check out Channel Zero and The Act (and that upcoming Elizabeth Moss show).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Nah. He was walking red flags, if she still chose him then that's on her. They laid out the premise at the start and then pulled it because they didn't like who won. Being a gross rear end in a top hat was literally why they put him in there.

Why would anyone ever not take the prize money? Even in a fantasy scenario where the person actually loves the girl and they actually live near enough to continue a relationship after the show, why wouldn't you take the money and then just date normally afterwards? They can't stop you from dating once the show is over... so you should always take the money and split it with the other person or keep it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
At the end they both are supposed to get 50k each but the F-boy has the option to break up with the girl and get 100k to himself.