Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can appreciate a good dub but in my experience they're exceedingly rare, and a lot of the ones that do exist are for shows that already had even better performances in the original VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I generally like to experience a show in its original language the first time I watch it if I can (no matter what that might be). But I’ve also seen some dubs I would call on par or in some instances even better than the original as well.

Oddly, the opposite is true when it comes to video games with multiple language options (I’ll usually always play in English to start with but if I’m feeling curious I’ll switch over to the Japanese voices on a replay)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I watch, say, Steins;Gate, there's a moment at the end of episode 22 that almost made me cry in the original VN that didn't hit quite as hard in the dub. The moment was still powerful, but Tatum's voice didn't break quite as hard as Miyano's. And I still prefer to watch that show dubbed, because I understand that it's all about tradeoffs. I just prefer the more florid script changes in that show in English (outside some of the outdated memes, but whatever). Also, the actual dub performances are still really amazing in that show (I kinda prefer Miyano's Okabe but Tatum's Kyouma). I generally prefer dubs when they're available because it suits the way I watch better and also because I like recognizing voice actors.

Good dubs really aren't very rare anymore though guys, come on.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

they are

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think foreign language dubs almost never have the same level of direction that original language ones do, maybe because you don't have the same level of direct interaction with the creators.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

im pretty sure there's a level of "voice acting in the west isn't treated as seriously as in japan" to it as well

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think foreign language dubs almost never have the same level of direction that original language ones do, maybe because you don't have the same level of direct interaction with the creators.

This is just definitionally true, but at the same time I think it kind of ignores that translation is a process of adaptation. Sometimes the creator is involved in that adaptation, a lot of times they're not, and so it's up to other people to interpret the work and carry over the meaning that they found within it. This can be done badly or myopically, of course, but it can also be done really well! That's not just in relation to the script, it carries over to casting and direction.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

+1 to English dubs for video games. Those usually divide my attention enough I’d rather have the option of focusing on playing the game if there’s an action component or anything over reading subs

There’s a lot of shows tho where I like the English dub more because I saw 2 eps on toonami as a child and any other voice is “wrong” for the characters

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i hate sean schemmel goku now

I think the only dub dbz voice i think is better is piccolo

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Aurora posted:

i hate sean schemmel goku now

I think the only dub dbz voice i think is better is piccolo

why now? did you like him before

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mean yes because I grew up with the dbz dub like the majority of people in the us

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, subs vs dubs arguments

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Captain Invictus posted:

It's the console wars of anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

When I watch, say, Steins;Gate, there's a moment at the end of episode 22 that almost made me cry in the original VN that didn't hit quite as hard in the dub. The moment was still powerful, but Tatum's voice didn't break quite as hard as Miyano's. And I still prefer to watch that show dubbed, because I understand that it's all about tradeoffs. I just prefer the more florid script changes in that show in English (outside some of the outdated memes, but whatever). Also, the actual dub performances are still really amazing in that show (I kinda prefer Miyano's Okabe but Tatum's Kyouma). I generally prefer dubs when they're available because it suits the way I watch better and also because I like recognizing voice actors.

Mamoru Miyano both as Okarin and Maado Saientist has a very "goony" quality to his voice which I find hella easily to enjoy, which is important because, IIRC, he's the only character who appears in every single episode. I'd have to give the Steins;Gate dub a shot, though! Not super familiar with Tatum's voice, but I liked him well enough in both Blood Blockade Battlefront and Kamisama Kiss.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

ur so epic fortnite burger

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also loved this dumb cameo/meta-joke (Moe Szyslak's VA also voices Dr. Tofu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76K-l0oM_M

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Captain Invictus posted:

it's been fairly civil and nuanced, honestly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I'll be honest when I first watch a dub there's a huge awkwardness in line delivery/word choice that is always present no matter how good the dub. For me noticing that tends to fade after an episode or two - these things I suspect are quirks of trying to get line reads to at least vaguely match character mouth movements and delivery pacing intended for a different language.

If someone is really bothered by these translation quirks I really can't think of almost any anime dubs that avoid the problem, even good ones have a lot of awkward line reads (the most common offender being lines that clearly had to be built around the character suddenly pausing midsentence, because that's what the character does on screen even though with english mannerisms that makes no sense for the conversation). So I don't agree that good anime dubs are hard to find, but it's also very clear to me why someone else would feel that way.

Dubs also tend to make things sound way more cheesy, and I'm not sure if that's an issue with dubs or if that's faithfully translating cartoons where the target audience was children/teenagers. Sometimes it makes it harder to take the show seriously

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, sometimes it feels more cheesy when you're hearing it in a language you understand rather than reading it in a subtitle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, sometimes it feels more cheesy when you're hearing it in a language you understand rather than reading it in a subtitle.

There's an article i read somewhere that because Chow yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh don't speak Mandarin, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sounded to mainland Chinese ears like they were "reading a Dick and Jane book". I don't understand Cantonese or Mandarin, so I couldn't tell the difference; I relied on facial expressions, body language, and the subtitles. 🤷🏻
But I definitely understand how annoying it can be with bad English dubbing. I love Astro Boy, but I can't get through the eighties version anymore without switching to the Japanese dub because God drat, the English delivery is bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aurora posted:

ur so epic fortnite burger
do you smell burning toast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i believe that no matter the language, characters shouting out chuuni magic power phrases and speeches are sick (the good sick)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i believe that no matter the language, characters shouting out chuuni magic power phrases and speeches are sick (the good sick)

"Why are they shouting? Are the commands voice activated?"
- Martian Successor Nadesico

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wark Say posted:

Mamoru Miyano both as Okarin and Maado Saientist has a very "goony" quality to his voice which I find hella easily to enjoy, which is important because, IIRC, he's the only character who appears in every single episode. I'd have to give the Steins;Gate dub a shot, though! Not super familiar with Tatum's voice, but I liked him well enough in both Blood Blockade Battlefront and Kamisama Kiss.

The turbonerd thing I do when I watch the S;G blu-ray is put the subtitles on while the dub is playing so I can compare the script changes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

"Why are they shouting? Are the commands voice activated?"
- Martian Successor Nadesico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcwkRpuHuA

SHOUT NOW

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

do you smell burning toast

you should probably get that looked at man

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

should we starting discussing evangelion next

marumaru
May 20, 2013

who is the best evangelion girl anyway?? (platonically)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
none of them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it’s misato in every respect

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The girl reading this

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

every girl in eva is cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Do mangaka ever think of the poor truck drivers?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

marumaru posted:

the class rep trying her best to give asuka whatever emotional support a teenager can give someone with crippling depression always struck me as probably the most decent thing anyone does in the entire series

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

Only the Isekai authors.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

The mangaka from Fly me to the Moon/Tonikawa at least gave the Truck-kun du jour a long-enough scene to make an even bigger impact than average.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Acerbatus posted:

Only example with good VA work in both languages I can think of off the top of my head is yakuza 7 though.

i tried that in both languages and actually ended up with the dub in the end which i don't often do. everyone involved is good but i think ichiban's en performance is perfect for him and well, you spend the most time listening to him

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleDonut posted:

it’s misato in every respect
Misato's character arc legit rivals that of Shinji's own in importance and I feel like the show is much better for it. It's something that I've kinda liked about Eva (the series) for the longest time, even if my opinion of the overall franchise has changed throughout the years.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

marumaru posted:

rei obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

confession time ive never watched eva and thats purely because my only exposure to it was through an ex loving it so much they wanted to model our relationship after shinji and kaworu and considering how poo poo that relationship ended up going (which i have been told is 'actually pretty true to the relationship in-story') it made me lose any interest in watching it lol

im sure ill get strong-armed into it someday tho