Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It probably isn't. The Roberts R1509 I used for our spare bedroom is only specced for a year shelf life unopened, and if the can has been treated badly and is dented near the lid seal or it's been opened the shelf life is an order of magnitude shorter.

Also only certain mastics are approved for bamboo and the HD flooring guy told me the wrong thing (when I read the specs for the stuff he recommended it specifically stated it was not for bamboo!) So read the spec sheet even if the guy at the store told you what to buy.

I liked the Roberts adhesive but it's currently very close to national backorder so I actually just came home with seven cans of Bostitch Multigrip that's for the rest of our floors. I hope it's as good as the Roberts was.

Most of these urethane flooring mastics are moisture catalyzed cure so in both our cases the name of the game is "get the place as dry as humanly possible" because we live in swamps and that poo poo will kick off FAST in real humidity. It's no joke. I was doing it in late fall last time I believe (I'll have to scroll back and check) and I had to be careful to not spread much at a time or it would be starting to cure by the time I got boards on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus Christ, grout does not agree with my OCD. At least not when I'm this... Not great at it.

But I'm a-groutin' for punishment so I finished it anyways

I used Fusion Pro single component grout. I dunno how normal grout is, but it was an exercise getting it in there and I'm afraid it's going to be grout hazed to hell when I wake up tomorrow. I forgot to buy the cleanup poo poo the grout recommended and my arms are dead so whatever happens, happens, I can't stop it now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Grouting tile that textured is a special form of hell, and was also my first experience with grouting, so I feel your pain. Looks good though. The imperfections are part of the look when dealing with some materials.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I picked smooth-surface (not gloss, just smooth,) rectified, 24”x24” tile for my house for precisely that reason. gently caress grout forever.

Your project looks loving great though, and doubly so for babbys-first-tile-job. I’d be proud of that if I were you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That looks great!

How thick is premix grout? (or mastic for that matter?) I've only ever used dry powder and a hose so there was a little flexibility in making it easy flowing. It lasted 20 years until the next owners jack hammered it all up so it couldn't have been that wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's pretty thick stuff. My forearms were killing me by the end.

Also I'm not a fan of it. That poo poo shrinks as it cures and I've got funny looking little divots and a few very small shrinkage cracks now. Whatever, it's serviceable, I'm not scraping it all out. I might put a little more in in a few spots, but I'm not using it on the next place.

I think I managed to dodge grout haze, not entirely sure yet. There was one spot where I left a streak on the surface due to being clumsy and hitting a joint square with the sponge on the final cleanup pass but luckily I was able to scrape it all off with my thumbnail as I used a grout release coating on the tile faces just before starting. Good thing I did, that stuff was miserable to clean up even without it. I would have totally screwed this job without it, textured tile is as hard as you said.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is only reinforcing for me that tiling earns its place on my "never do it myself if at all possible" list.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah the pictures make it look very paste like, that sounds miserable. Mixing your own is the way to go, but it does mean making a dusty horror show somewhere. You can get it to a sort of far too thick for a straw milkshake consistency. Use a corded drill and mixing bit. Spreads easy, flows well, and cleans off decently. Though I did tend to spend a lot of time dealing with haze, oops. That was likely operator error over applying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah the pictures make it look very paste like, that sounds miserable. Mixing your own is the way to go, but it does mean making a dusty horror show somewhere. You can get it to a sort of far too thick for a straw milkshake consistency. Use a corded drill and mixing bit. Spreads easy, flows well, and cleans off decently. Though I did tend to spend a lot of time dealing with haze, oops. That was likely operator error over applying.

I repaired a few loose tiles and did a bit of grout and the dusty mess rings true. Thankfully it was small enough areas that I just used a little yogurt cup to mix up my grout. Still, that sucked and I wasn't even laying tile.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ken: want to know a special kind of grout hell? Try using roughened tile and learning halfway through that it's tearing the float apart, leaving little blue! eraser-style rubbings in the loving grout. I spent hours picking them out of the grout lines, smoothing them out, and then hating the shrinkage. And this was using dry grout, mixed correctly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some kind of loving weevil got into the house and had its babies. I've evicted or killed at least 6 in the bathroom alone. Then I had to pick one out of the goddamn grout because its idiot rear end decided to go for a groutnap and it looked like poo poo. Yeah, that one got killed, gently caress you dude just stay outta my work.

The shrinkage is not looking great right now but oh well. It is what it is. I might go over it in a few places since this grout is a kind of rubbery polymer of some sort and I think it'll bond to itself and not leave a dry joint that breaks easily, but I haven't decided yet.

One piece of baseboard and I can put the toilet back in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It sure looks good to us - you may not see it but really looks nice

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kastein posted:

The shrinkage is not looking great right now but oh well. It is what it is.

My wife eventually came around to accepting things as they were. Hopefully yours will too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

D34THROW posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one that has poo poo sitting around forever. A case of peel-and-stick for the bathroom to test it before we finish the rest of the house with it (our laminate was cheap poo poo the previous owner's children used to flip the place after she passed), never mind the myriad decorations and tchotchkes that Need a Home.

I had a whole case of peel-and-stick get ruined from sitting in the bathroom next to the toilet when two things happened at once - the toilet developed a nasty, nasty clog that took two gallons of Drano, seventeen tries with the auger, and cumulative hours of plunging to clear, and the tank bolt on that side started to corrode. Overflowing toilet and leaky tank meant a big rear end puddle on the floor and that was an easy way to waste like $40.

I can deal with the 5 gallons (or was it 2 x 5 gallons?) of adhesive going bad. The flooring itself is solid bamboo, and should be fine, not to mention well-acclimated to the house...
I'll check the dates and such before I try to use the stickum.

kastein posted:

Jesus Christ, grout does not agree with my OCD. At least not when I'm this... Not great at it.

But I'm a-groutin' for punishment so I finished it anyways

I used Fusion Pro single component grout. I dunno how normal grout is, but it was an exercise getting it in there and I'm afraid it's going to be grout hazed to hell when I wake up tomorrow. I forgot to buy the cleanup poo poo the grout recommended and my arms are dead so whatever happens, happens, I can't stop it now.

Looks good! I hope my first attempt is as decent. I plan to tile both bathrooms, re-tile the kitchen, and probably tile the entryway, too. More wood/bamboo in the hallway, most likely.

Suburban Dad posted:

My wife eventually came around to accepting things as they were. Hopefully yours will too.

My wife didn't get around too much before I met her, so she actually thinks I'm adequate or something. This is why you go for virgins or near-virgins. Highly recommended!
I'm talking about grout, of course. She'd never done or seen home projects done before she met me. What did you think I was talking about?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well this is pretty loving rad, we have a place to crap again and it doesn't even involve walking to the gas station

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Well this is pretty loving rad, we have a place to crap again and it doesn't even involve walking to the gas station

Now you can polish your turds at home!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Now you can polish your turds at home!

New thread title

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Did you put an outlet near the toilet for a future bidet seat?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

it is obviously so he can plug in his laptop while on the throne

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

everdave posted:

it is obviously so he can plug in his laptop while on the throne

Git pull while he git pushes

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Jeherrin posted:

Git pull while he git pushes

It's more of a git log.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm definitely doing so when I remodel our bathrooms.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's actually there for plugging in a hair trimmer because that way you can cut people's hair while they sit on the throne and jump right in the shower to rinse the rest off. This would have come in very handy last year during the shutdowns, but we were still using an extension cord for it at the time.

I suppose you could use it for shaving your nards before showering as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The next few times you're in a half-decent public restroom space with tile floors, like a doctor's office, or a mall, or movie theater, you'll be taking a public dump or piss and you'll start studying the tile job that professionals put in there. And you'll realize your job is absolutely superior to what is out there in the world that we walk on and look at all the time, without ever noticing the mistakes and sloppiness.

You did just fine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Already happening. My work has far less lippage and better cuts than my local Home Depot's bathroom :smuggo:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do you think that, when Home Depot or Lowes need to set up a display for whatever reason, they use the same contractors that they try to fob off on their customers?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do you think that, when Home Depot or Lowes need to set up a display for whatever reason, they use the same contractors that they try to fob off on their customers?
They probably get the 2-3 tradesmen that work in the warehouse for fun and given them an afternoon of fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Still mudding and almost entirely done with taping. gently caress this house I should have bulldozed it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Still mudding and almost entirely done with taping. gently caress this house I should have bulldozed it

It's never too late. I've been looking at some little baby D2/D3s with gas pony motors to start them. If you hadn't rebuilt the place so well that would be enough. I'll start shopping for D8s.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nothing that can't be cured with a structure fire.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'd really rather not.

Also, anti archives bump. I'll be back to work on the place in a bit.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
how much more do you feel you have left? When's the hopeful date to get it on the market and finally get this weight from your neck gone?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have no loving idea. I'm back on the east coast working on it for a week or two right now. Today I mostly just took stock of things and started pulling the temporary dog containment fence and other pet enclosures down so that they're gone before the ground freezes, since they were rather shoddily built (I expected to put better permanent ones in...) And need to be gone before it goes on the market.

The grass we planted right before hitting the road grew pretty nicely, which should help as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Freezing weather is impending so it was time to get this done and let it cure at least a few days before freezing. This wall was losing mortar pretty badly and it definitely would have been a sticking point with buyers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I spoke to the electrical inspector a while ago and he was like uhh dude winter is fuckin coming you NEED to do this if you're going to this year. I knew this intellectually, but it hadn't quite hit me that in practice that frozen rocks are harder to drive ground rods through than not frozen rocks. So I bought a bunch of crap at home depot and started putting in ground rods. Two 8 footers are required by code. I decided to be sly and put one into the area I filled in 2019 after pouring a footing for the new porch because that way the first 4 feet would be really easy to pound in...

Well. About that. It went in 4 feet easily as expected, 6 feet wasn't too horrible. 6.5 feet was a struggle. And it never moved again after that even with an 8lb sledge, my fence post driver, and my rotary hammer used in turns.

The next one was fairly easy. I put it right under the eaves of the bathroom roof so it will be dampened regularly.

After fighting the first one a bit more I decided that in the interest of not killing myself I would spend another 16 dollars and try a third location. That one went in within a few inches of fully buried, it won't go any further but oh well. I'll pile dirt over it if he insists.

Mounted the new Square D RC816F200C 200 amp meter-main. 2020 code requires that there be a surge suppressor installed for the whole house and an exterior main disconnect. This (plus the surge suppressor I added) satisfies that.

Also used my rotary hammer to drill the hole through the foundation for the feeder conduit.

Installed the exterior feeder conduit and J body.

And the service entrance conduit

Ordered the cable for everything at graybar yesterday. It came in today. I went with 250kcmil compacted aluminum XHHW-2 for the service entrance cable and 1/0 compacted aluminum XHHW-2 for the 100A feeder to the existing main panel.

Installed service entrance cabling

Installed feeder breaker, most of the grounding, and feeders for the 100A main panel

If the next owner wants to use the other hundred amps they'll need to install a second set of feeders, another 100A breaker, and a second panel. I only updated to 200A because it's what was in stock at home depot and it was a marginal cost increase over the 100A setup, and only redid any of this because the old lovely service entrance cable was decaying and it was time to replace it, so might as well continue the trend of replacing everything.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
You are a one man see season of Holmes makes It Right

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geizkragen posted:

You are a one man see season of Holmes makes It Right

Indeed.

I've said before that getting workers to do jobs is problematic because it's a job to them, but it's your house. Someone is going to get an amazing buy on this house that has had attention to detail paid throughout an entire renovation. That's a pretty rare opportunity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly at this point if another DIY goon wants to take it over I'm willing to sell at a lower price than I was planning. I need to get my rear end out of here. Aside from the remaining electrical work and I suppose the main stairwell railings (which are pretty detailed finish carpentry work) everything left is solidly in the normal homeowner DIY skill set.

I want to finish it but I also need to move on with my life sooner rather than later.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Honestly at this point if another DIY goon wants to take it over I'm willing to sell at a lower price than I was planning. I need to get my rear end out of here. Aside from the remaining electrical work and I suppose the main stairwell railings (which are pretty detailed finish carpentry work) everything left is solidly in the normal homeowner DIY skill set.

I want to finish it but I also need to move on with my life sooner rather than later.

In living vicariously through you, I desperately want to see you finish this, but do you have a realtor that can give you now as-is, versus "if I do all of this in 3 months" pricing? At the rate property has increased in the past couple years, you may be surprised at what you can walk with right now and let someone else finish the fiddly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The real estate agent could also probably get some trades in to finish the work pre-sale if needed (just don't look at their work). I'm out the way you're headed and know no one in that area but what a well re-built house.