Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Xik posted:

What are some novel/useful locations for a stash. Joppa is the tried and true since it's usually your first recoiler but interested in hearing other options.

I always put mine next to the recoiler position in Grit Gate, since that's the first big pile of merchants you're likely to be able to recoil to.

Serephina posted:

I'm kinda of the opinion that there's absolutely never any reason to have less than 18TO, and almost the same with 18INT.

I usually start with 16 Int and put my first point into it, but then again I generally don't care about getting Tinker 2 until very late, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I don't remember feeling too starved for skill points when I went with 14 int on a physical mutant. It hurt, but probably less than going with 14 toughness or dex. You definitely get fewer utility skills to play with, but the stat gates on the high end skills are high enough that you can still get them on more or less the same timeframe, and you can get some key skills through water ritualing anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Johnny Joestar posted:

sometimes i feel like the int balance in relation to skill points is kind of hosed because it seems weird that there's practically no situation where you want it to be even remotely lower due to it tanking your skill point gains so much, which can be the difference between a character actually being able to get off the ground or not

this is exactly the opposite of my experience, low skill points isn't that bad at all as long as you have a plan and stick to it

the only reason i don't use int as a dump stat is i like being able to hit tinker II

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Learned a few new things in this last playthrough - tonics have better effects for true kin, displacer weapons can attack walls, doors and teleport them away, and those life saps, etc.. count as winged mammals which can really simplify things down there. Im finishing runs with around 100 of each cooking ingredient and im realizing that cooking can be used consistently enough to work as a one skill fits all situation. All of the breath types at lvl 10, any elemental immunity on tap, ID everything, learn blueprints by touch, etc. Theres a recipe library on wiki.cavesofqud.com that has some clever ideas, including a fire breath that burgeons on fire damage and will eventually cover the screen in aloe pyra.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

silentsnack posted:

:hmmyes: 'multiple butts'

Third nipple.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How do short blade builds work? They can't penetrate armor without just as much strength as any other weapon, and if I was going to invest in strength I might as well just go axes and get my bleed damage by chopping off limbs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mzbundifund posted:

How do short blade builds work? They can't penetrate armor without just as much strength as any other weapon, and if I was going to invest in strength I might as well just go axes and get my bleed damage by chopping off limbs.

Originally they scaled with Agi, but that got nerfed. Short blade (or just agi) builds are based around gaslight- eventually vibro weapons, and/or ranged attacks. E.g. a Eunuchs can live off their pistol for the first few levels until a schematic drops.

I've also done a very strong Horns mutant (counts as a short blade) who maxed Str, dumpstat'd agi and just ignored the skill tree apart from the opening skill. But that's kinda an edge case.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Multiple limbs with high strength and agi (easier if you get one of the stat boosting mutations) can do some of the biggest single target damage in the game, too. Shank gets +2 penetration for each ailment the target has (each stack of bleed counts separately) and, unlike normal attacks, isn’t capped at x5. The cooldown is really short too, unlike berserk.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mzbundifund posted:

Not a Qud expert by any stretch, but once you get elemental mods on your weapons, the fast attack speed of short blades can stack up armor piercing damage very quickly regardless of whether or not the blades themselves pierce armor. Short blades are also fun on a willpower build with electrical generation (or spines), since the charge generates per action, so if you stack will power and quickness, you can build charge very quickly and blast enemies for big damage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So it sounds like my options are basically:

1:Invest in strength
2:Suffer until midgame, then get elemental mods or vibroweapons

I've never even seen a vibroweapon. Where do they drop? I can just about get to Grit Gate before I can't really hurt anything anymore.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Early pilgrimages to the Six Day Stilt. Grab Wayfaring early on (or learn it from your village) to minimize your odds of getting wasted by Dawngliders, and amass lots of trade goods and easily-pawned treasure (spare steel short blades, for instance) before heading up there. Wander all the way around the Stilt; seems like there's almost always at least one schematic merchant to haggle with. Just drop in from time to time to see their new stock, and snap up elemental mods and gaslight kris/vibroblade blueprints whenever the opportunity arises.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mzbundifund posted:

So it sounds like my options are basically:

1:Invest in strength
2:Suffer until midgame, then get elemental mods or vibroweapons

I've never even seen a vibroweapon. Where do they drop? I can just about get to Grit Gate before I can't really hurt anything anymore.

Fwiw: Early game trash mobs have terrible defensive stats. Like you can have 10/10 str/agi and still club a naked snapjaw to death with a bronze weapon. As long as you have some sort of answer to harder things like eyeless crabs you can drag your pathetic rear end to Grit Gate. A low (12-16) Str character can totally hack it, and everyone else should have some sort of gimmick.

Things that will help get a non-str char through early game, in descending order:
  • Mutations that Kill. Poison Gas, Stingers, Blowing stuff up with mind, etc. Not relevant if your mutations aren't combat orientated or are Trukin.
  • Proselytizing/Beguiling something to fight for you. Followers are very strong, as once you give them gear they'll cheerfully murder a path through their former allies. Several backgrounds start with proselytize.
  • Ranged combat. Some backgrounds start with a gun, so you can flail against the snapjaws and only spend ammo vs hard targets. Grit Gate has infinite ammo.
  • Actually try to hit things, maybe don't have only 10 Str. Having a few points in Str for carrying capacity is a thing, so you can wing it into the midgame.
Finishing Golgotha nets you a ridiculous gun that'll sort you out for ages. So yes, to answer your question; if you roll a melee-only character you might have to put points into stereotypical combat skills such as HP and so forth. Or build a mutant who cheats his way through combat or a Truekin who just has a gun.

If you're looking for offbeat stuff, we'd be happy to suggest some silly builds!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thanks a lot for the advice all. Yeah I water ritual'd the mayor of my starting town and he's killing everything for me at the moment, but I know from experience it's only a matter of time before he tries to kill a cluster of chain gun turrets, or just eats poo poo in Golgotha.

My mutations are multiple arms, multiple legs, advanced hearing, mental mirror, and I think irritable genome.

I've put a lot into agility and toughness, average ego, above average intelligence and willpower just for skill points and cooldowns. Dump stat'd strength at 14 thinking I was going to deal damage from a million bleeds, but it turns out everything is crabs and robots and Templar squires in plate mail. As you suggested I definitely am leaning on my ranged weapon right now. I'm just trying to hold out until I can get through to Grit Gate and buy 1000 bullets and stop rationing my desert rifle.

I did early run to the Stilt(nomad start rules) but had pretty bad luck with shops, no tinkers in the stilt at all. I guess short blades are just not competitive at this stage of the game? Hard to imagine wanting to use them instead of anything else if I actually had strength. Hopefully I can find an elemental mod data disk. Do short blades still inflict bleed if only the elemental damage goes through?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:thunk:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hey that's next level stuff, your waterskin is frozen to keep your drinks chilled

Also I had a clone of Saad Amus show up in Red Rock:3 once. Good times.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It says the waterskin is frozen, not the contents. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Not a Qud expert by any stretch, but once you get elemental mods on your weapons, the fast attack speed of short blades can stack up armor piercing damage very quickly regardless of whether or not the blades themselves pierce armor. Short blades are also fun on a willpower build with electrical generation (or spines), since the charge generates per action, so if you stack will power and quickness, you can build charge very quickly and blast enemies for big damage.

Thanks for this idea, I just started a willpower quickness build with both Quills and Electrical Generation and it's fun as hell.

This is the closest anything has felt to a wizard in this game, it's basically shock nova + melee-range chain lightning and it owns

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 16, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

deep dish peat moss posted:

Thanks for this idea, I just started a willpower quickness build with both Quills and Electrical Generation and it's fun as hell.

This is the closest anything has felt to a wizard in this game, it's basically shock nova + melee-range chain lightning and it owns

Imma do this tonight sounds badass
What is your stat allocation

Wonder if i can fit Laze in there

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I did 14/16/18/16/21/16 but also I'm not great at this game so I don't know what would be ideal. With this much willpower both quills and electric generation recharge extremely fast to where they literally just become your main attacks. The hardest part so far has been remembering that Quills destroys lots of objects. Loot, chests, etc... you have to be careful where you use it!

You can probably fit Laze, I went Heightened Quickness and the Spontaneous Combustion defect (I think that's from a mod). Willpower gives you so much regen of quills/electric that I'm not sure Heightened Quickness is necessary, but it does help quite a bit

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 17, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

deep dish peat moss posted:

I did 14/16/18/16/21/16 but also I'm not great at this game so I don't know what would be ideal. With this much willpower both quills and electric generation recharge extremely fast to where they literally just become your main attacks

im not very good either but yeah this sounds like a build i could use for some deep nonsense.

What's the class where you're the old with a cane? Imma use them.

and ill just ask who tf is Saad Amus i know him cuz i have been to the cryo storage in Bethesda Susa but i just left him a lone i knew better. Does friendship with bears make him friendly? Can i recruit him through water ritual?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

verbal enema posted:

im not very good either but yeah this sounds like a build i could use for some deep nonsense.

What's the class where you're the old with a cane? Imma use them.

and ill just ask who tf is Saad Amus i know him cuz i have been to the cryo storage in Bethesda Susa but i just left him a lone i knew better. Does friendship with bears make him friendly? Can i recruit him through water ritual?

From the wiki; According to the Song of the Sky-Bear, Saad Amus was the one to "shut the door" to Ptoh's prison. His faction, Humanoids, isn't really found in the game so he'll always be aggro. Unsure if he has water ritual options (I'd imagine, being unique), but you should be able to pacify him via the usual means of love injectors/proselytize/beguile.

From my experience with enhanced quickness and cooldowns, the cooldowns of abilities are per-time and not per-turn, which makes the auto-wait command always stop waiting before proselytize comes off of cd -_-

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The idea being that Saad-Amus is an Eater, the only one left around, I think (aside from that one Tree that also counts, technically.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah it seems like Saad-Amus is sort of an Eater King Arthur type dude, locked away in stasis to make war against Ptoh when he's needed again. My theory is that when you break him out, he either mistakes you for a minion of Ptoh or thinks "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE" and kills you for loving up his mission to fight Ptoh.

You cannot ritual him afaik (he doesn't belong to a faction that actually tracks reputation).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Serephina posted:

From my experience with enhanced quickness and cooldowns, the cooldowns of abilities are per-time and not per-turn, which makes the auto-wait command always stop waiting before proselytize comes off of cd -_-

Every ability I tested except for electrical generation and spines is based on time, whereas those two are based on turns. Light Manipulation looks like it works in a similar way to electrical generation and spines, but it doesn’t benefit from either will power or quickness.

Stacking quickness by itself is already really powerful, since it means everything you do is just better. It also lets you escape much more easily. Electrical generation with high quickness and willpower can kill almost anything that’s not immune, even things your blades can’t scratch, but it’s a liability when friendly creatures are nearby.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If a full waterskin freezes and then thaws it should lose a dram because the ice expanded ok that's my Qud suggestion.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does the Dual Wielding skill stack with the attack chance from the multiple arms mutation? What if you also have arms from another source? (Chimera bonus limbs, Helping Hands, etc)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mzbundifund posted:

Does the Dual Wielding skill stack with the attack chance from the multiple arms mutation? What if you also have arms from another source? (Chimera bonus limbs, Helping Hands, etc)

It's totally unintuitive unfortunately.

Basically, 'natural' offhands start at 15% chance of swinging, which Dual Wield ups to 35/55/75. Jab doubles this. Chimera grants natural limbs.
Multiple Arms are excluded from this and use their own mutation chance, 10% up to about ~55. Jab doubles this.
Helping hands are "bad" and get nothing.

However! Those extra hands from MA or HH are totally functional to use shields and carry the second half of a two-handed weapon. They also work fine as your primary limb! So for example, a normal two-handed person who was going sword&board luckily finds a helping hands. Swap your primary weapon to the HH, same with your shield, and congrats on your two extra 'natural' limbs which just freed up! Further "bad" limbs just mean you upgrade to two-handers, you can fiddle with equipment to make sure the greyed-out bits go in the right slots. NB that your original two arms will be tagged as "upper" once you acquire a few more limbs.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the duel wielding tree applies to your natural offhand and chimera hands, but not the multiple limbs hands.

Honestly my biggest feature request is just a way to see your current attack chance with each limb. Between the multiple limbs mutation, chimera limbs, helping hands, natural weapons like horns/stingers, the ambidexterity tree and jab skill, and swapping primary limbs, it’s basically impossible to know how everything interacts and what stacks - even the official discord gives conflicting information.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Haha holy poo poo. Thanks for the explanation. So if I have Multiple Arms it's the upper arms that are natural and thus benefit from Dual Wielding and Jab, but not my Multiple Arms mutation rank. The lower arms are unnatural and benefit from Mutation rank and Jab, but not Dual Wielding skill.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what about Horns and Stingers?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Snake Maze posted:

Honestly my biggest feature request is just a way to see your current attack chance with each limb. Between the multiple limbs mutation, chimera limbs, helping hands, natural weapons like horns/stingers, the ambidexterity tree and jab skill, and swapping primary limbs, it’s basically impossible to know how everything interacts and what stacks - even the official discord gives conflicting information.

Ooh I would love this. Feature request to show the proc chance for all attacks, mutations, and effects (eg bleeding etc). Either show this next to each hand, skill, or mutation or make a new info page for this.

Following unormal on Twitter I know how much he loves UI work so this should be a breeze :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That link has a clarification on those two *extra special* cases, but what I will say is that while Stinger always seemed meh, Horns is legitimately OP. Set it as primary limb and go hog wild.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
For a super common use case: what's your chance to attack with your original hand if you swap to your horn as primary limb? Last time I asked people on the discord disagreed on whether the original hand now counted as an offhand and benefited from duel wield, or if it inherited the horn's fixed 20% hit rate (and if did inherit the horn's hit rate, could it benefit from jab?). There's no way to even know without just attacking a wall 1000 times and keeping track of how many times you attack with each setup.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Snake Maze posted:

For a super common use case: what's your chance to attack with your original hand if you swap to your horn as primary limb? Last time I asked people on the discord disagreed on whether the original hand now counted as an offhand and benefited from duel wield, or if it inherited the horn's fixed 20% hit rate (and if did inherit the horn's hit rate, could it benefit from jab?). There's no way to even know without just attacking a wall 1000 times and keeping track of how many times you attack with each setup.

You talk like that's not something I do several hundred times every playthough, cough. I've not specifically tested offhand attacks when using Horns as a primary, but from I can tell the wiki's usually right about these things.

Honestly, if you're using horns as a primary, that probably means you've put a lot of mutation points into it and it's mauling everything in short order, so I wouldn't worry about trying to optimise dual wielding with it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Serephina posted:

Honestly, if you're using horns as a primary, that probably means you've put a lot of mutation points into it and it's mauling everything in short order, so I wouldn't worry about trying to optimise dual wielding with it.

Counterpoint: if I don't optimize duel wielding with horns how am I supposed to apply max bleed as fast as possible so I can shank someone for 200 damage?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Snake Maze posted:

Counterpoint: if I don't optimize duel wielding with horns how am I supposed to apply max bleed as fast as possible so I can shank someone for 200 damage?

Go chimera, buy literally nothing at character creation, put everything into Unstable Genome. Spend mutation points during the game only on buying new mutations. Enjoy using 11+ daggers.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I mean, ultimately my point is that I want to be able to know how skills work without manually testing it for hours. I think that's a pretty reasonable request for a roguelike.

I'd say "without looking it up outside the game" but honestly even the wiki isn't a reliable source on this (for example, the page you linked doesn't mention chimera hands at all, and contradicts the burrowing claws page on whether jab works with them). Yes, I can and have made powerful builds without knowing exactly how attack chances work, but I would still like to actually know what works instead of guessing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
hey what the gently caress qud

you know where i am????

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

mdct posted:

you know where i am????

The last 6 out of 12 times ive found a Rhynox Maul 2 z levels under the rust wells

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are Spinerettes any good? Reducing enemies to -10 DV sounds incredible but it looks like enemies just path around webs most of the time, and they're useless at range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

mdct posted:

you know where i am????

I found a hand-e-nuke in a random level 2 marsh cave (I think just off of the tunnel?) in my newest run. Still not sure entirely what to *do* with it. :V