Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is it trying to sneakily teach people game theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DrVenkman posted:

Nah. He was walking red flags, if she still chose him then that's on her. They laid out the premise at the start and then pulled it because they didn't like who won. Being a gross rear end in a top hat was literally why they put him in there.

Yes, and humiliating him for being a gross rear end in a top hat was a choice the creators of the show had every right to make. He signed releases, its his fault if he didn't read all the print in his contract.

He was a gross rear end in a top hat, played his role, and was punished for it. Win win. "I open up to them so they'll open their legs to me" like come on, you don't enjoy seeing that kind of man get exactly what he deserves?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cherry Flavor was a loving wild ride, definitely recommend it with the caveat of the somewhat abrupt ending. Rosa Salazar is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you haven't seen it she's really good in season 2 of Man Seeking Woman as the potential love interest of the season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just sat down and watched Nobody and I’m glad Bob Odenkirk is ok since he’s possibly the best action movie star of the last ten years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of Centaur World and that show is very weird. It starts with a young warrior who was tasked with retrieving a magical artifact that could turn the tide in a losing war but she's attacked and is separated from her horse and the magical artifact. The show then follows the horse as she is sent to a magical world of whimsical bullshit where everything (including trees, buildings and mountains) is some kind of centaur ie half-human/half-whatever. The horse, which is still drawn in a semi realistic style, can now talk and kind of gesture with her forelegs and wants nothing more than to get back to her rider. Also there's lots of singing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Posted it in the PYF Unpopular opinions thread but god drat Firefly is actually good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oh yeah now I remember why Rosa Salazar owns, she was Alita

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always liked Firefly. It's not perfect, but I like the characters a lot. Tim Minear, Jane Espenson and Ben Edlund are wonderful writers too, whatever you might think of Whedon's technical skill.

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the first episode of Centaur World and that show is very weird. It starts with a young warrior who was tasked with retrieving a magical artifact that could turn the tide in a losing war but she's attacked and is separated from her horse and the magical artifact. The show then follows the horse as she is sent to a magical world of whimsical bullshit where everything (including trees, buildings and mountains) is some kind of centaur ie half-human/half-whatever. The horse, which is still drawn in a semi realistic style, can now talk and kind of gesture with her forelegs and wants nothing more than to get back to her rider. Also there's lots of singing.

It's great. I think the early episodes lean too far into making the supporting cast annoying, but a lot of the central conflicts and the horror motifs are excellent. Great kids show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always liked Firefly. It's not perfect, but I like the characters a lot. Tim Minear, Jane Espenson and Ben Edlund are wonderful writers too, whatever you might think of Whedon's technical skill.

The scene in the first episode where Mal just walks In and headshots the fed was amazing. Didn’t realize Edlund wrote for it too

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Oh yeah now I remember why Rosa Salazar owns, she was Alita

She has some serious talent. That movie would not have worked if she weren't just charming as hell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also recommend people watch Undone with her and perennial favourite Bob Odenkirk, it was really good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alita was great and I would enjoy a sequel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Posted it in the PYF Unpopular opinions thread but god drat Firefly is actually good.

I remember loving it when I first got it on DVD back in like 2005 but even so I quickly wound up largely rewatching only a few episodes (Shindig, Jaynestown, and the Saffron episodes). I feel like those are the episodes that really made the show's reputation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last time I revisited Firefly it felt like I was watching Andromeda or Lexx. In my memory it was far more prestige than those, but my experience was it feeling flimsy and cheap. Maybe I rewatched one of the wrong episodes, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think maybe you need to rewatch Lexx or Andromeda to recalibrate what a cheap production looks like.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Titans season 3 is loving incredible so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Last time I revisited Firefly it felt like I was watching Andromeda or Lexx. In my memory it was far more prestige than those, but my experience was it feeling flimsy and cheap. Maybe I rewatched one of the wrong episodes, though.

How dare you.

LEXX is superior to Firefly in every way

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonz posted:

Alita was great and I would enjoy a sequel.

I thought Alita was going to suck so hard, especially after seeing the trailer in the cinema and a lot of people were laughing at it (not with it). But man, I enjoyed that film a whole bunch and would definitely be psyched for a sequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alita was v cool

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Titans season 3 is loving incredible so far.

You cant fool me

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Speaking of ~cheap~ scifi, someone uploaded the 2000 Dune miniseries that SyFy (neê SciFi) made more than twenty years ago.

It's interesting because it was made at probably the worst time, but was also one of the catalysts for the golden age of television that was about to begin.

One of the worst problems was CGI just becoming viable enough to replace animatronics, but it makes all of those scenes look like a Diablo cutscene. Everything was also shot on sets, with matte paintings, which gives it all a cheap, flat look compared to today's meticulously crafted green-screens...

...but at the same time all of these things were obviously expensive in their time. Huge, beautiful matte paintings, gigantic sets filled with extras, unique costumes and props. So much effort was put into all of these things, they just were made at a very unfortunate time and just don't hold up at all to modern eyes.

It's a good adaptation, all things considered. It has that same, weird vibe that scifi had in the 90's with shows like Lexx.

Here is the youtube channel, if anyone else is interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Pjs49IEa_YSmYt3NH1ndw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing that I always liked with that adaptation is the way they lit the sets was like a stage production.

I've been meaning to rewatch my DVDs of the miniseries for awhile now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I can't really hold the technology of the time against a production. A lot of contemporary shows are going to age like milk, and good CG doesn't really correlate to a strong story.

All the "looks cheap", or "doesn't look like it has a budget" style critical discourse always seem to be begging the question tbh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's some decent casting in that but holy poo poo the guy who played Paul was horrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO Max has ordered a Fionna and Cake Adventure Time spin off series. The show's one line description is that Fionna and Cake will be traveling across the multiverse with Simon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That might be okay?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dune had some real actors in it like William Hurt in the first one and Susan Sarandon in the second. But yeah the effects and matte paintings looked super cheap even at the time. I saw it on scifi when it aired and liked it a lot. Mostly because the glowy blue eyes looked dope as fuuuuuck.

e: I forgot James McAvoy too!

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 17, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got YouTube Rabbit Holed into watching Taskmaster, and I am truly baffled. How has this not been ported to American TV yet? "Get five cheap celebrities, put them up in a house for a few weeks, and make them do poo poo that is either humiliating, requires lateral thinking, or both and then host a clip show of it for everyone to make jokes about" seems like a layup.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CapnAndy posted:

I got YouTube Rabbit Holed into watching Taskmaster, and I am truly baffled. How has this not been ported to American TV yet? "Get five cheap celebrities, put them up in a house for a few weeks, and make them do poo poo that is either humiliating, requires lateral thinking, or both and then host a clip show of it for everyone to make jokes about" seems like a layup.

Well we had the Apprentice and look how that turned out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol Dave's season finale made me tear up and I wasn't that big of a fan. Amazing. Like it needed 2 years of narrative plumbing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1427648439194722314

Debicki makes a pretty good Diana, Dominic West as Prince Charles... I dunno.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Not only has the British version aired on the CW, but there was a US version a few years back on Comedy Central. Reggie Watts was the Taskmaster, with Alex Horne back setting all the tasks. It was thoroughly average.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Daedo posted:

Not only has the British version aired on the CW, but there was a US version a few years back on Comedy Central. Reggie Watts was the Taskmaster, with Alex Horne back setting all the tasks. It was thoroughly average.
That's surprising. Where'd it fail in the translation, do you think?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Timby posted:

It's really impressive just how thoroughly the LotR trilogy and especially the Hobbit trilogy turbofucked New Zealand's economy and did incomprehensible damage to the country's unions and workforce.

The US is a disease and the world is infected.

Was "Whew" a real show? I mean, a real gameshow, not a spoof? Because Annie there is comedian Julie Brown.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 17, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CapnAndy posted:

That's surprising. Where'd it fail in the translation, do you think?

Unsurprisingly it was jammed into a 22 minute timeslot, and Reggie probably wasn't the right choice as the TM. The UK version has done appallingly in the ratings, it's just not really a show the American audience cares for en masse sadly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unsurprisingly it was jammed into a 22 minute timeslot, and Reggie probably wasn't the right choice as the TM. The UK version has done appallingly in the ratings, it's just not really a show the American audience cares for en masse sadly.

You just need to do a version with all the celebrities from this music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq7Eki5EZ8o

Ratings gold I tell you

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, give it an hour and let it be some summer/midwinter filler on a broadcast network, and I still feel like it could hit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1427648439194722314

Debicki makes a pretty good Diana, Dominic West as Prince Charles... I dunno.

The guy they had for Young Charles was bang on. This guy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I believe the UK version does well for CW on streaming