Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

duz posted:

Cruella 2 should be 101 Dalmatians but done like Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

True Shakespeare would be improved by having 101 dalmatians having absurdist existential crisis's in the background of random scenes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

101 Dao-isms

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was looking at stuff on The Black List recently, and saw some rando seriously trying to shop their Harry Potter script to Hollywood - as in, a screenplay based on an IP they don't own and which is very tightly controlled by its studio. I also spotted spec scripts based on Star Wars, Star Trek and other extremely corporately-owned properties. I know that The Black List is now a business to which anyone can send their script if they have a hundred bucks so they won't reject anything, but are people seriously delusional enough to think "if I show the studio how great a job I can do with their property, they'll surely buy my script and turn my fanfic into an official part of their franchise!"? The answer is obviously yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I doubt anyone is seriously doing that.

I think it's one of two factors, or a combination of both. First and foremost, if you write something associated with an IP that people are familiar with you'll get more eyes on it. It's not any different from being a hungry artist and doing fan art to drum up awareness of your stuff and stand out from the crowd and hopefully get a real gig out of it. Second, I think some writers are treating them more like TV spec scripts, where they're hoping to show that they're capable of writing a big tentpole film in the hopes of being hired for a gig on another property, as unrealistic as that may be. It's like submitting a Simpsons spec script so you can get hired onto Rick and Morty, which is common industry practice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There are terrible fanfics out there way better than the recent big franchise movies.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

There are terrible fanfics out there way better than the recent big franchise movies.

This tracks, because most big franchise movies today are basically terrible fanfics, only written by a committee of 50-something MBAs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MonsieurChoc posted:

50 Shades is literally the latter and the former

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm assuming Cruella 2 will be like Malificent where's it will basically be a remake of 101 Dalmations but from her POV? So they can say her wanting to skin a bunch of puppies to make a coat was a misunderstanding or something.

Maleficient is also Aurora'a POV. So they really trying to make her the hero by making her victim in the original story her biggest ally in this version.

Payndz posted:

I was looking at stuff on The Black List recently, and saw some rando seriously trying to shop their Harry Potter script to Hollywood - as in, a screenplay based on an IP they don't own and which is very tightly controlled by its studio. I also spotted spec scripts based on Star Wars, Star Trek and other extremely corporately-owned properties. I know that The Black List is now a business to which anyone can send their script if they have a hundred bucks so they won't reject anything, but are people seriously delusional enough to think "if I show the studio how great a job I can do with their property, they'll surely buy my script and turn my fanfic into an official part of their franchise!"? The answer is obviously yes.

Maybe they are hoping it can be like 50 Shades where they file off the licensed stuff and make it its own thing. Not an accurate comparison since he's already a big name director, but Netflix is producing Zack Snyder's Star Wars Seven Samurai script into Rebel Moon.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 18, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Maybe they are hoping it can be like 50 Shades where they file off the licensed stuff and make it its own thing. Not an accurate comparison since he's already a big name director, but Netflix is producing Zack Snyder's Star Wars Seven Samurai script into Rebel Moon.

Sometimes the opposite happens too, they'll look at a script and think it's similar enough to something that they adapt it into a sequel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shadowhunters is a spinoff of Mortal Instruments, which was based on a fanfic series about Draco Malfoy. I also remember one Netflix movie adapted from a Wattpad fanfic about Harry Styles. Now I'm just waiting for someone to adapt the numerous fanfics about One Direction living through The Purge, preferably as part of the actual Purge series.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

:hai: thats how its done

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's not gonna be a Harry Potter movie where Rowling doesn't make bucketloads of money and then get to spend it on her TERF causes. This is also from September 2020 so whatever it's old news. They should just end the franchise.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think that is more Daniel Radcliffe saying he doesn't actually want to do anymore Harry Potter movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Old has a character named Mid Sized Sedan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what the gently caress

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A TikTok superstar with a funny name isn't that weird

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Reviews are out for Dark City Inception and yup this is going to bomb

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/reminiscence?ref=hp

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A shame, I like the sandbox it's playing in. Oh well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bruce Willis has cracked the code to never have to work again and still be in poo poo movies and get paid. He has licensed his image rights to a russian cellphone company to "star" in this comercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSUQwwOm3G4

https://www.slashfilm.com/a-deepfake-bruce-willis-is-now-starring-in-russian-phone-commercials/

https://www.inputmag.com/culture/bruce-willis-licensed-his-deepfake-for-a-series-of-russian-mobile-carrier-ads

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's dumb as hell because if you're gonna use a deep fake of Bruce why not do John McClane circa 1988?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh my God, why didn't I realize the first living deep fake would be lazy rear end Bruce Willis doing it on purpose!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wonder how much it would be to have Willis sign over his post-death image rights. Would he part with them for, say, $50 million? Some studio should really get on that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probably get better performances from him that way

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder how much it would be to have Willis sign over his post-death image rights. Would he part with them for, say, $50 million? Some studio should really get on that.

I feel like 50 million is pretty high, he'd probably do it for half that. He cares so little now while he's still alive, I find it hard to believe he cares what people do with his image after he's dead.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Meesheesheepee

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vincent posted:

Bruce Willis has cracked the code to never have to work again and still be in poo poo movies and get paid. He has licensed his image rights to a russian cellphone company to "star" in this comercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSUQwwOm3G4

https://www.slashfilm.com/a-deepfake-bruce-willis-is-now-starring-in-russian-phone-commercials/

https://www.inputmag.com/culture/bruce-willis-licensed-his-deepfake-for-a-series-of-russian-mobile-carrier-ads

can anyone translate this?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Probably get better performances from him that way
I'd say definitely. them programming the cartoon with his face to say MISSISSIPPI is more life than he's had in years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

can anyone translate this?

It's not going to be accurate, but if you're watching in-browser and want to get the keywords you can select auto-generated subtitles, then there's an option to auto-translate to English. Apparently the play on words "tied to work" works in both English and Russian.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like 50 million is pretty high, he'd probably do it for half that. He cares so little now while he's still alive, I find it hard to believe he cares what people do with his image after he's dead.

Quite possible. Ninja Turtles was sold for 60 mil about 10 years back, I thought that was a steal. But those are four turtles and related folks, and just one Bruce.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bruce Willis should make a movie playing himself where he signs away his post-death image rights, and then Hollywood starts sending assassins after him while he's just trying to relax.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Martman posted:

Bruce Willis should make a movie playing himself where he signs away his post-death image rights, and then Hollywood starts sending assassins after him while he's just trying to relax.

Like The Congress mixed with Die Hard mixed with JCVD, yeah I can see it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Martman posted:

The assassins keep making amusing mistakes. The film is called Blooper.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No its called Curtain Kull.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Shageletic posted:

No its called Curtain Kull.

Oh I needed that laugh.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Payndz posted:

The assassins keep making amusing mistakes. The film is called Blooper.

Add Hudson Hawk sound effects and I'm in. Hell just make it a sequel to Hudson Hawk and I'm there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Logan's Run, but it's Hollywood James Deaning actors on purpose before they reach 30

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
A movie where Bruce has to beat Steven Seagal in a footrace, both of them spend the whole movie mumbling gravelly from an office chair being pushed by a younger actor.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

Logan's Run, but it's Hollywood James Deaning actors on purpose before they reach 30

James Deaning?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alan Smithee posted:

Like some kind of cabal of starwhackers????

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

James Deaning?

this aint the gotcha you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/GaoRush/status/1429334868094226441?s=20