Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
you realize that the vaccines as delivered have a limited shelf-life, right

you're not doing anyone any favors by letting them go to waste. the government isn't going to ship the expired ones to places that are (unjustly) not getting the appropriate level of distribution. it sucks, but get the goddamn shot if you can and maybe we can slow down things enough to not get to an omega variant

e: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it's pretty wild how well the vaccines do their job though. over 166 million vaccinated, only ~8500 hospitalizations from breakthrough infections, ~1500 deaths.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

it's pretty wild how well the vaccines do their job though. over 166 million vaccinated, only ~8500 hospitalizations from breakthrough infections, ~1500 deaths.

and we all just have to pray that lambda doesn't pick up steam

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

don't get a third shot until africa, palestine, etc are able to get their first shots

some real "eat your beans, there are starving kids in ethiopia" poo poo

if the medical community determines that a third shot provides better protection against covid variants than just two, i'm not going to put my own health at greater risk over a distribution problem that i have no ability to affect.

if i were physically located in africa, palestine, or et cetera then i would wait on a third, sure.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

like i would sooner guess "russian research chemical enthusiast" before "tankie"

these are c-spam people we’re talking about

they’re Soviet research chemical enthusiasts, aka tankies

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c-spam would be a lot more tolerable if they just perma'd everyone there who also regularly posts in QCS

conveniently this would also make QCS a usable forum

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

great. i have no idea if this is real or not

iirc it's from a big airsoft meetup

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

yes, take advantage of that tight, efficient, cvs-dumpster-to-nairobi pipeline we set up

yeah this

if u want it it's 4 sale ok
if u need to ask ask

(maybe not a good public policy tho)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

hobbesmaster posted:

This can always change but some virologist on Twitter tracking variant prevalence posted that lambda is pretty much being smothered out of existence by Delta

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

some kind of half-life joke here.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
not required to report for jury duty tomorrow

actually kind of wanted to, but :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

some kind of half-life joke here.

they're waiting for you, gordon

In the rotoproning chamber

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

not required to report for jury duty tomorrow

actually kind of wanted to, but :shrug:

they wouldn't pick you anyways, they want old, morose people who think the system actually works and that everyone is guilty by default

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kitten emergency posted:

yup. and the current booster rush by cspammers is because pfizer has reduced efficacy after 6+ months (as low as 42%) for mild/moderate illness. moderna has shown no real drop but there isn’t as much data. can’t say for non-mrna vaccines.

all vaccines in the usa are still kicking rear end even against delta for serious illness and death. almost all breakthrough cases are older/immunocompromised and the same for deaths. the vaccines still work really loving well.

the boosters are so you don’t get sick at all and hopefully have a mild bit of sterilizing immunity.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Are there public numbers on how much of each vaccine is being produced daily? I tried googling for it but get results about how many people are getting shots in various regions; I’m curious how long it’ll take to get to a scale where the entire worlds population can get shots every 6 months because it feels like that’s what it’s gonna take it beat this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't think the dude rolling in to collect a new jabbarino with a belly full of edibles has a coherent ideology beyond "chat thread moron"

like i would sooner guess "russian research chemical enthusiast" before "tankie"

tankie just means “someone i don’t like, who isn’t on the political right”

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

tankie just means “someone i don’t like, who isn’t on the political right”

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's mostly used by liberals and centrists though, always wealthy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we've had a couple of people in here claim that the north korean political regime is actually fine and good for its people and all the stories of abuses are western propaganda. i would call them tankies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

we've had a couple of people in here claim that the north korean political regime is actually fine and good for its people and all the stories of abuses are western propaganda. i would call them tankies

perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

i got a tankie avatar for pointing out that the us imprisons more people than nk ever will

i wasn't defending them just saying our rock throwing strategy is unsound

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQX1-MZlhM

tankie is good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
if you can free yourself of ideology and approach the question objectively, as i have, i believe you'll find a pretty direct line between the soviets use of military force to suppress the 1956 hungarian revolution and some guy posting in cspam about getting a third vaccination

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

and that’s why they’re getting extra vaccinations

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Nice! posted:

yup. and the current booster rush by cspammers is because pfizer has reduced efficacy after 6+ months (as low as 42%) for mild/moderate illness. moderna has shown no real drop but there isn’t as much data. can’t say for non-mrna vaccines.

all vaccines in the usa are still kicking rear end even against delta for serious illness and death. almost all breakthrough cases are older/immunocompromised and the same for deaths. the vaccines still work really loving well.

the boosters are so you don’t get sick at all and hopefully have a mild bit of sterilizing immunity.
The drop is for preventing symptomatic illness, not mild/moderate

Also there's a fair amount of pushback on the idea the effectiveness dropped that much

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

The drop is for preventing symptomatic illness, not mild/moderate

Also there's a fair amount of pushback on the idea the effectiveness dropped that much

it dropped enough that Israel thought it was prudent to give boosters to, so far, 10% of their population. Everyone always knew there was likely going to be boosters and welp looks like everyone thought correctly.

too bad the CDC has spent several months telling everyone that they can do whatever they want and are completely immune if they are vaccinated.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

let's check in on the nova scotia election

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Truman Peyote posted:

i project john will win

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gimme some john morgan in the east to go with the john horgan in the west

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

everyone in nova scotia is either 70 years old or literally a boulder

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1172247645118783488

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mediaphage posted:

i project john will win

don't blame me i voted for john

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

guess who won in nova scotia

if you guessed "worthless tory fuckstains", you win! except no one wins, because the tories hold power in yet another province

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112?lang=en

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

guess who won in nova scotia

if you guessed "worthless tory fuckstains", you win! except no one wins, because the tories hold power in yet another province

I would have guessed "an literal giant boulder" because that's all there is in nova scotia

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lmao

does this mean the people in the riding couldnt tell them apart either

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
nova scotia is nothing but old white people with glasses and goatees, and boulders

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
send help to alberta, real serious help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
ucp has killed all social services, it's so hosed. ucp is doing it for spite at this point. it's fun to make fun of alberta but we're severe austerity levels now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzDqCcTeSmY