Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

i know this dude who seems to have gotten heavily into deathmatch wrestling fandom in the last few years.

i didn't even know that poo poo toured in the USA. i thought it all took place in japan, and sometimes Americans went there for extra work doing that.

i saw that ICP "Stranglemania" deathmatch compilation video back in 1999 or so.

after seeing stuff like The Wrestler, and seeing how uninsured and low income living the indie circuit wrestlers are, i couldn't even imagine people wanting to go the deathmatch route for a living.

i think it's a bit much, presentation-wise also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf some of this is the fault of american m bison cody rhodes, who said a lot of stuff when AEW started around it being more diverse

Nah, they 100% are.

They have at least one openly trans wrestler, the Rhodes brothers have actively campaigned for and promoted trans rights (Dustin (not Cody -- thanks, Rarity!) has a trans daughter), they have Sonny Kiss who is openly genderfluid, a bunch of LGBTQ-wrestlers who feel comfortable enough to be open about their identities, and they seem to be taking an active stance against wrestlers saying hosed up and bigoted poo poo.

They're not perfect, but compared to the WWE where "let's laugh at the large woman" is still a hot thing in 2021 it's like night and day.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 13, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Leyla Hirsch is apparently 4'11" and she's a badass.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

(IIRC Cody has a trans daughter)

Dustin actually

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

Dustin actually

Right, that makes sense with him being older than Cody and having older kids.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSh35ryueA

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nah, they 100% are.

They have at least one openly trans wrestler, the Rhodes brothers have actively campaigned for and promoted trans rights (Dustin (not Cody -- thanks, Rarity!) has a trans daughter), they have Sonny Kiss who is openly genderfluid, a bunch of LGBTQ-wrestlers who feel comfortable enough to be open about their identities, and they seem to be taking an active stance against wrestlers saying hosed up and bigoted poo poo.

They're not perfect, but compared to the WWE where "let's laugh at the large woman" is still a hot thing in 2021 it's like night and day.

oh yeah, AEW are hiring people based on ability rather than what a panel of 70-year-old men in bowties think a pro wrestler should look like, which is cool and good (and one of the reasons that WWE only has about two wrestlers left that people don't see as completely interchangeable), it's more that there was a certain niche that took that to mean that pro wrestling is praxis and who got mad when Tony Khan just booked a fun wrestling show instead

which again, who even cares, this is the La Parka thread, but the suggestion that a forum that forced some poor intern to read a bunch of "dear Tony, you employ too many Republicans nowadays, please fire three" letters is irredeemably chuddy was a good chuckle

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I enjoy wrestling because occasionally Kenny Omega will bust out a loving Boo-urns reference in front of an international audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYm2QRil8U

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I enjoy wrestling because occasionally Kenny Omega will bust out a loving Boo-urns reference in front of an international audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYm2QRil8U

He delivered it so perfect. Like you know Don Callis told him “uh no they’re saying ‘noooooooohooooOoohooh’”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
re-watching Southpaw Regional Wrestling
might be the best intentional comedy wwe ever did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RFCRpp9P0

kinda uncomfortable now, though, because pretty much the entire cast is gone from the company :/

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

this is the La Parka thread

:hai:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Today I learned that Goldberg is main eventing SummerSlam in the year 2021 :lol:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

Today I learned that Goldberg is main eventing SummerSlam in the year 2021 :lol:

Reigns vs Cena will be the main event. But still, lmao

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Soon, hologram technology will allow the WWE to show Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant as the main event of every big event, completing Vince’s dream of reliving his glory days while not paying wrestlers a dime.

Although presumably he will keep a few actual humans around for embarrassing comedy sketches between matches.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I would watch Hologram Hulk Hogan vs real Old Man Hogan tbh

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MakaVillian posted:

Track down his match with the Undertaker from a couple years ago. It's the saddest poo poo ever and it's a miracle they survived it.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'm shocked that Goldberg's head isn't still flat from taking that botched tombstone

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

MakaVillian posted:

This was Monday on the go home show for SummerSlam
https://streamable.com/i33dxo

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
something like 5 dudes on the card use the spear as a finishing move

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Gavok posted:

Track down his match with the Undertaker from a couple years ago. It's the saddest poo poo ever and it's a miracle they survived it.

Digital Jedi posted:

Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to keep my memories of Goldberg's original run pure

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 18, 2021

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Waiting for the inevitable Kid Goldberg vs. Kid Rey Mysterio

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ric Flair is trending on Twitter and it ain’t because of what he did at Triplemania

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Flair still gettin it!

I hope that's his wife though, dude doesn't need anymore alimony payments.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
The 80s never ended for ric flair

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the muff diving photo isn't actually ric flair

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

He went from Space Mountain to Soarin'.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It's either Ric Flair or Doug Ford.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
That's a finishing move alright.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the muff diving photo isn't actually ric flair

Let your heart believe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

when roddy piper met ric flair he walked into a room and dusty rhodes was shoving a hemorrhoid suppository up ric's rear end

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Soon, hologram technology will allow the WWE to show Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant as the main event of every big event, completing Vince’s dream of reliving his glory days while not paying wrestlers a dime.

Although presumably he will keep a few actual humans around for embarrassing comedy sketches between matches.

I won't be budged from my opinion that despite the fact that they were overwhelmingly the winners on the night, WCW's death spiral began in 1998 when Hogan beats Nash by poking him in the chest and resetting the entire nWo storyline (immediately after spoiling the results of the WWF title match on the other channel, causing 500,000 people to switch over to watch Foley win the belt). Arquette didn't kill them, or even the worked-shoot nonsense that they went wild with, they were already dying at that point and throwing poo poo at the wall.

I have exactly the same feeling about the bit at Wrestlemania XXXII where Del Rio, Sheamus and Rusev beat the tag team champions and then issue an open challenge, which is answered by three 50-something retired wrestlers with career-ending spinal problems (Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, and Steve Austin in dad jeans and New Balances like he's about to go out and trim the hedge) who dispose of them in a fair fight in literally less than a minute. They were in Texas, they got a huge pop from the crowd, but why would you watch the product after that? All the cool dudes have podcasts now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

I won't be budged from my opinion that despite the fact that they were overwhelmingly the winners on the night, WCW's death spiral began in 1998 when Hogan beats Nash by poking him in the chest and resetting the entire nWo storyline (immediately after spoiling the results of the WWF title match on the other channel, causing 500,000 people to switch over to watch Foley win the belt). Arquette didn't kill them, or even the worked-shoot nonsense that they went wild with, they were already dying at that point and throwing poo poo at the wall.

I have exactly the same feeling about the bit at Wrestlemania XXXII where Del Rio, Sheamus and Rusev beat the tag team champions and then issue an open challenge, which is answered by three 50-something retired wrestlers with career-ending spinal problems (Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, and Steve Austin in dad jeans and New Balances like he's about to go out and trim the hedge) who dispose of them in a fair fight in literally less than a minute. They were in Texas, they got a huge pop from the crowd, but why would you watch the product after that? All the cool dudes have podcasts now.

I was at that wrestlemania. It might be one of the worst shows of all time. It certainly killed my interest in the WWE aside from like following 2-3 people. It was the definite end of weekly viewing though. Spent too much money on dogshit to watch anymore.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shinjobi posted:

Let your heart believe

https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/1428090843735396357?s=20

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Flair must have been hanging out with and learning from Nooner, to be able to execute such a powerful self-suck maneuver.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I was at that wrestlemania. It might be one of the worst shows of all time. It certainly killed my interest in the WWE aside from like following 2-3 people. It was the definite end of weekly viewing though. Spent too much money on dogshit to watch anymore.

iirc that's also the wrestlemania where the rock got a ten-minute entrance appropriate perhaps for someone who had solved world hunger or physically conquered the moon, beat erick rowan in six seconds by hitting one move, and then went back to hollywood forever

like, wouldn't it be great if you could get the 90s chicago bulls team back together for one game against last year's champions, and then the bulls just win by 100 points and do a dance where they grab they dick and balls before retiring again and going back to doing their own projects, wouldn't that be great for the worldwide profile of basketball

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Might be some contractual thing he wasn't allowed to actually wrestle or something.

God I'm so sick of that guy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Might be some contractual thing he wasn't allowed to actually wrestle or something.

God I'm so sick of that guy.

He wins either way. If enough people hate him he can turn heel and then babyface again because of it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think it's funny how WWE gave WCW poo poo for having an "old man like Hogan" around when he was younger than John Cena is right now when he formed the nWo.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Yeah but Cena has hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

blunt posted:

Yeah but Cena has hair

And can wrestle.