Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You have caused me to wonder.

What is the state of the best available racing AI that can be run on a console or PC of the current generation? I'd love to read a breakdown of what has been coded, what works, and what is missing. What is in development (specifically in the area of racecarmans' AI) currently? What is the current state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB9lf7iJbRw

I always thought drivatars were the peak racing AI...is that not the case?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, the drivatars learn very very bad habits from people who only drive that way in SP. Like, I have time to game but my girlfriend is working as a call-agent for an ethics hotline, right? So jumping in voice chat is out of the question most nights, so I end up playing a lot of SP (also I can't stand griefers.)

When I read that there exists sims in which the drivers show awareness of their surroundings (this is like the bare minimum and I've yet to experience it) I wanna know if anyone's got a solid AI shaping up and will it drive other sims to follow suit?

Like I said, I was merely wondering.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

drivatars are great if only because i've had people post in forza threads about how much of a total rear end in a top hat mine always is, since i habitually pit ai drivers in single player multiple times per race lmao

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O word? I was just talking about how not-great that is.

It isn't.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maybe to you it isn't, personally i wouldn't want my drivatar to be anything less than a total rear end in a top hat at all times to everyone, or for anyone else's to not be an rear end in a top hat to me. beats the old days of racing against the gran turismo ai that just rigidly sticks to the racing line and never attempts any passes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Does it, though?

Nah. Belligerent rear end in a top hat drivatars do not improve the SP experience in any way. If you had your way I bet your drivatar would also need to be muted because it never shuts the gently caress up. :madmax:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This high stakes super 7 poo poo is the worst thing ever put in these games. Been trying to do this one because there is supposedly a horizon backstage pass at the end. Just endless impossible drag strip bullshit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

toplitzin posted:

https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle
A daily entry rotating cast of low availability electronic goods
PS5/OneX/Nvidia/ATI cards

Sweet thank you I am ON this

e: out of curiosity how long did you enter for before you were drawn?

Play fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 17, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wiltsghost posted:

This high stakes super 7 poo poo is the worst thing ever put in these games. Been trying to do this one because there is supposedly a horizon backstage pass at the end. Just endless impossible drag strip bullshit.

super 7 in general is really half-baked and not good. i do love the idea, and i hope it's in horizon 5 in a far better capacity, because as-is it seems like they didn't know how to tie any of it together in a way that was actually fun.

there also needs to be a better curation system for exactly the reason you said. endless dumb drag trip poo poo where you have to immediately reverse at the start because you're up against an armco is hot garbage.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

super 7 in general is really half-baked and not good. i do love the idea, and i hope it's in horizon 5 in a far better capacity, because as-is it seems like they didn't know how to tie any of it together in a way that was actually fun.

there also needs to be a better curation system for exactly the reason you said. endless dumb drag trip poo poo where you have to immediately reverse at the start because you're up against an armco is hot garbage.

What is Super 7? I mostly played single player and it doesn't really ring a bell.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Super 7 is player made "challenges", where you get set a thing and have to beat the creators time/score with a specific car. You do 7 of them in a row, and the hardcore one only dishes out rewards when you decide to stop. Most of the challenges are really bad drag races where you need to beat a top speed but since the creator just mashed the throttle the tolerances for actually beating it are fairly tight. And the default start position at the drag strip at the festival is literally with the car's nose against a barrier, which is dumb.

It's entirely playable single-player so you can try it out, but it's... not great.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Super 7 is player made "challenges", where you get set a thing and have to beat the creators time/score with a specific car. You do 7 of them in a row, and the hardcore one only dishes out rewards when you decide to stop. Most of the challenges are really bad drag races where you need to beat a top speed but since the creator just mashed the throttle the tolerances for actually beating it are fairly tight. And the default start position at the drag strip at the festival is literally with the car's nose against a barrier, which is dumb.

It's entirely playable single-player so you can try it out, but it's... not great.

Well that seems kinda dumb. In multiple ways. But especially starting with the car up against the barrier?

Probably done better by Dirt 5 and the course editor that one has, it was actually pretty fun playing different courses that people created.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i hope F5 really gets better network connections. I can't be assed to figure out why forza's the only thing I can't play online.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I posted about this yesterday, and I'm now done even playing this super 7 stuff anymore but I can't believe the shoddy quality of this. I had one where I had to hit 246 at speed trap. Easy enough I figure. The top speed of the car is 205. Had a drag race to do. Those aren't too hard. Have to hit 188. Car won't go higher than 175 in the room I have, backed up all the way to the barrier. I really hope they at least try to fix this stuff in the next game because they put zero effort into this one.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

tater_salad posted:

i hope F5 really gets better network connections. I can't be assed to figure out why forza's the only thing I can't play online.

Did you by chance change your GamerTag after playing Forza for a bit? If so, try logging out and logging back in at the opening menu. It worked for me a while back.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

isk posted:

Did you by chance change your GamerTag after playing Forza for a bit? If so, try logging out and logging back in at the opening menu. It worked for me a while back.

I have not change my gamertag ever.. I just can't ever join forza live I was able to play it online for a long time, I took a break awhile ago and when I got back in I had issues. Maybe i"ll try the log out / back in if I see the option.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tater_salad posted:

I have not change my gamertag ever.. I just can't ever join forza live I was able to play it online for a long time, I took a break awhile ago and when I got back in I had issues. Maybe i"ll try the log out / back in if I see the option.
Have you changed internet providers or equipment, like modems our routers between your PC and your internet connection?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Have you changed internet providers or equipment, like modems our routers between your PC and your internet connection?

Maybe.. I can't remember if I was able to get online after I moved or not. Direct wired connection to router which is ethernet directly to the FIOS box in the basement. I've had like zero issues with anything outside of FH4, iracing.. fine, Arma3 fine (even hosting servers) other random steam games fine work fine. FH4 does not. And partially I can't be assed to try and fix it due to t he fact the new one's coming out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

tater_salad posted:

If you're on PC its probably because of teredo tunneling. I've posted about it before in this thread but type "xbox networking" in your start menu and do the tests there and if it shows you have a restricted connection in any way thats gonna be the cause.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hopterque posted:

If you're on PC its probably because of teredo tunneling. I've posted about it before in this thread but type "xbox networking" in your start menu and do the tests there and if it shows you have a restricted connection in any way thats gonna be the cause.

Thanks for this.. Yeah I'm looking through it.. xbox says teredo isn't working.. I've gone through so many flipping steps on how to get it to work.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

tater_salad posted:

Thanks for this.. Yeah I'm looking through it.. xbox says teredo isn't working.. I've gone through so many flipping steps on how to get it to work.

I think this page has the various troubleshooting steps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...2d-a0e492d47f50

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hopterque posted:

I was gonna say it almost certainly has something to do with that drat Microsoft storefront it launches from. Then I realized I had no idea if that was true or not. But it FELT true

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

I think this page has the various troubleshooting steps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...2d-a0e492d47f50

hey thanks.. 40 mins of troubleshooting and this is the line that did it in CMD run as admin: netsh interface teredo set state type=enterpriseclient

reinstalled network adapters, hosed around with my router, did all the MS suggested registry edits etc nothing worked.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

tater_salad posted:

hey thanks.. 40 mins of troubleshooting and this is the line that did it in CMD run as admin: netsh interface teredo set state type=enterpriseclient

Oh yeah, pretty sure that’s the one that fixed it for me too back in the day

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I wish Forza Rewards wasn't so drat inconsistent in terms of updates. I'm so close to being level 13, I just need to bank the most recent points I've theoretically earned in FH4 over the past few days to get me there but alas....

Is there any word yet on starting bonuses for FH5,?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Why tf did I never look at the gifts tab in the message center. I probably have a hundred wheelspins in there and a bunch of other stuff. Holy poo poo I'm an idiot lol.

On another note, the reason why I looked is that I preordered FH4 however long ago that was and only got 3 of however many preorder cars there were. Was I supposed to get all of them?

edit: found the Merc preorder car in the gifts tab, still missing the Porsche, Ford and Chevy pre order cars.

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 18, 2021

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I got Horizon 4 via Game Pass and it owns bones. Got a 50k deal on the Forza Edition Caterham, but it seems unable to go in a straight line. Oh well, it's still a car, and plenty of stuff to do. I'm beelining for the 2m house, to have fast travel

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I got Horizon 4 via Game Pass and it owns bones. Got a 50k deal on the Forza Edition Caterham, but it seems unable to go in a straight line. Oh well, it's still a car, and plenty of stuff to do. I'm beelining for the 2m house, to have fast travel

If you want.. put up a car (any car it can be something you bought or some piece of poo poo you won) for sale for like I dunno 5 or 10 milllion.. tell me what car and I'll buy it from you!
edit: the early grind is a little rough but after awhile you just print money doing races and stuff.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 18, 2021

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

The Caterham FE comes pre upgraded for drifting. You should be able to remove the upgrades and have a more stock Caterham

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the stock caterham is very good at going in a straight line

right over the side of the curve and into the woods

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tater_salad posted:

If you want.. put up a car (any car it can be something you bought or some piece of poo poo you won) for sale for like I dunno 5 or 10 milllion.. tell me what car and I'll buy it from you!
edit: the early grind is a little rough but after awhile you just print money doing races and stuff.

I was going to say, I don't want to impose, but it feels like after you've done your big spends it stops being such a struggle.
The only car I can put up for a decent chunk is a Ferrari 250LM that I have I believe, I think I need to do some tuning or making liveries to unlock setting a higher buyout price, right?

hexwren posted:

the stock caterham is very good at going in a straight line

right over the side of the curve and into the woods

Ah so it's tuned identically to every other car in my possession, I see :v:

I got carried by some folks for the offroad championship thing yesterday, which was nice. I need a "Sorry for scrubbing, thanks for carrying me" chat response.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I was going to say, I don't want to impose, but it feels like after you've done your big spends it stops being such a struggle.
The only car I can put up for a decent chunk is a Ferrari 250LM that I have I believe, I think I need to do some tuning or making liveries to unlock setting a higher buyout price, right?

Ah so it's tuned identically to every other car in my possession, I see :v:

I got carried by some folks for the offroad championship thing yesterday, which was nice. I need a "Sorry for scrubbing, thanks for carrying me" chat response.

I dunno it's been awhile since i"ve put anything up on the auction house / player market.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

drivatars are great if only because i've had people post in forza threads about how much of a total rear end in a top hat mine always is, since i habitually pit ai drivers in single player multiple times per race lmao

lmao hard same. Pits and nudges into unbreakable scenery while honking the kraken in an ahegao liveried shitbox

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
my drivatar is probably an rear end in a top hat, but not like the malicious kind, more like "you dumb rear end in a top hat" as I repeatedly fail to slow down enough for big turns and accidentally crash into all the cars in front of me

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

my drivatar is probably an rear end in a top hat, but not like the malicious kind, more like "you dumb rear end in a top hat" as I repeatedly fail to slow down enough for big turns and accidentally crash into all the cars in front of me

Can't crash into the wall while turning if you crash into a competitor while turning.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

super fart shooter posted:

My drivatar is definitely an rear end in a top hat, because when I'm playing single player I'm driving dirty as gently caress. AI players don't deserve respect, they're just obstacles.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Serperoth posted:

Can't crash into the wall while turning if you crash into a competitor while turning.

:hmmyes:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I never experienced much issue with Drivatars ramming me or the like, it feels to me like they are quite docile and will brake conservatively in an effort to avoid collisions. I'd actually like to see at least the option to make the AI more aggressive in FH5, right now, it can be difficult to overtake them but once you're in front, they're generally very easy to keep behind you.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This looks so drat good. Gotta admit, got some goosebumps when that dnb kicked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY2GX_7wR7Y