Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That's surprising. Where'd it fail in the translation, do you think?

They cast it with all the same grace and synergy as a comedy central roast, then cut the show in half, then had Alex be the host with a really nice co-host in the role as TaskMaster, a role which requires a somewhat antagonistic character. Lisa Lampanelli is always a horrible time but hell, she'd be a better TaskMaster than Reggie, who would've been a fantastic guest. I also think in the UK being on these gameshows is kind of a civic duty or something and there's a much smaller pool of people who are more familiar with each other since there's less media and their whole country is so tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

I believe the UK version does well for CW on streaming

It seems to have already unceremoniously disappeared from CWSeed, so nah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still don't totally get CW Seed's purpose but hey Suburgatory is on it and I've been looking for another feel good sitcom to binge!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The CW Seed FAQ used to be pretty funny, so naturally had to be deleted.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vincent posted:

I know kids are played by people on their 20's, but come the gently caress on

From pages ago, but this is one thing they really got right on Pen15. Dress the leads down, and then make the rest of the kids actual teenagers. And then in fun bonus Maya Erskine's show mom is played by Maya Erskine's actual mom.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

White Lotus was like 75% boring, 20% enjoyable and 5% great. Not really sure of it’s purpose but it at least filled in those weird “what did you do over the weekend” convos at work I guess.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent posted:

The US is a disease and the world is infected.

Was "Whew" a real show? I mean, a real gameshow, not a spoof? Because Annie there is comedian Julie Brown.

a real, honest-to-god show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPzhwQSsl7M

also, you're making GBS threads me?

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 18, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Noooooooo rip Sean Lock :(

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Sad day. Was really hoping to see him on Taskmaster one day

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
That's so sad, I've been rewatching 15 Storeys High and he's so funny in it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1427648439194722314

Debicki makes a pretty good Diana, Dominic West as Prince Charles... I dunno.

The guy can't do a british accent to save his life

PittTheElder posted:

From pages ago, but this is one thing they really got right on Pen15. Dress the leads down, and then make the rest of the kids actual teenagers. And then in fun bonus Maya Erskine's show mom is played by Maya Erskine's actual mom.

Was that the show where literal adults played middle schoolers or soemthing equally weird

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy can't do a british accent to save his life

This...this is a joke yeah?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah his character on The Wire tries to do a British accent and it's funny because he's British

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they shouldn't do anything to make her look shorter. just have one tall rear end diana

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

they shouldn't do anything to make her look shorter. just have one tall rear end diana

It's funny how in Tenet she plays opposite John David Washington and she just towers over him

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

muscles like this! posted:

It's funny how in Tenet she plays opposite John David Washington and she just towers over him

That movie is so goofy: it's like if you made a trailer feature-length. :haibrower:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every fantasy tv show/movie is just desaturated “people standing on a hill in Scotland/NZ and sometimes a soundstage dressed like a castle” now and it doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

Give me the crazy interplanar poo poo my DM uses in our sessions. :colbert:

ed: I’m stupid and just now realized I mistook this thread for the Streaming thread that’s talking about Wheel of Time right now. :doh:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 18, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was that the show where literal adults played middle schoolers or soemthing equally weird

Yeah the leads are in their early 30s or something, playing their 13 year old selves.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This is the point in child actor talk that I recommend I declare war.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Speaking of ~cheap~ scifi, someone uploaded the 2000 Dune miniseries that SyFy (neê SciFi) made more than twenty years ago.

It's interesting because it was made at probably the worst time, but was also one of the catalysts for the golden age of television that was about to begin.

One of the worst problems was CGI just becoming viable enough to replace animatronics, but it makes all of those scenes look like a Diablo cutscene. Everything was also shot on sets, with matte paintings, which gives it all a cheap, flat look compared to today's meticulously crafted green-screens...

...but at the same time all of these things were obviously expensive in their time. Huge, beautiful matte paintings, gigantic sets filled with extras, unique costumes and props. So much effort was put into all of these things, they just were made at a very unfortunate time and just don't hold up at all to modern eyes.

It's a good adaptation, all things considered. It has that same, weird vibe that scifi had in the 90's with shows like Lexx.

Here is the youtube channel, if anyone else is interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Pjs49IEa_YSmYt3NH1ndw

The Dune miniseries also inaugurated the Syfy tradition of having an annual miniseries in the winter which lasted for like 15 years. Some good entries in those, like The Lost Room, Taken, Tin Man (even if that was pretty silly in places).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The lost room owned

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just started Homicide Life on the Streets. I like it but the AV quality is pig manure. Is that what I'm doomed to or is a quality version to be had?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not seeing anything that indicates there's better prints available out there unfortunately. Looks that way for the series run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

codo27 posted:

Just started Homicide Life on the Streets. I like it but the AV quality is pig manure. Is that what I'm doomed to or is a quality version to be had?

Homicide was shot with Super 16 handheld cameras. The cinematography improved a little bit as the series progressed, but there's only so much you can do with 16mm film, particularly the fast stock they used in order to be able to shoot at pretty much any time of day or night (edit: and to be affordable, too, as NBC was constantly loving with the show's budget and essentially giving Attanasio, Fontana and Levinson constant ulcers from the stress).

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 19, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new "What If" is so fun that I wish it was a two-parter even if only to get some more Chadwick Boseman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Holy poo poo this season of The Good Fight has been utterly bugnuts, in the best loving way.

Oh, and In The Dark continues to be a pretty good thriller, and still the best thing on the CW that no-one has ever heard of.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
TASKMASTER has picked up with Twitch streamers quite a bit given that pretty much all of it is available on YouTube.

The American version was bad not just because of the running time (cutting the whole thing in half was a choice) but aside from Freddie Highmore and Ron Funches, no one wanted to get into the spirit of the thing. The contestants in the UK/NZ versions are fine with looking stupid sometimes whereas the Americans weren't. Everyone seemed to think the point was that they should be needlessly hostile to Alex too which, with no studio banter, made parts of it unpleasant.

However, it's not the disaster the Spanish version was. That one was cancelled part way through the run so you never even saw who won it. There were 6 contestants instead of 5 and the episodes run nearly 2 hours because there's very little editing and it gets tedious to watch. Just reading out the task took over 5 minutes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Noooooooo.

Whyyyyyy?

Noooooooo.

Argh. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the Fellowship of the Rand

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

zoux posted:

I forsee lots of braid tugging.

Is Rand on the far right, or next to Lan?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's the one with the red hair

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Me seeing this pic right after watching the Eternals trailer:
"You idiot, you captured their stunt doubles"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sumo posted:

Me seeing this pic right after watching the Eternals trailer:
"You idiot, you captured their stunt doubles"

Yeah, if that is the picture they chose to inspire excitement... they chose poorly.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

That's Wheel of Time right? (I typed Wheel of Fortune at first by accident, although now I'm down for a Vanna White cameo)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sumo posted:

That's Wheel of Time right? (I typed Wheel of Fortune at first by accident, although now I'm down for a Vanna White cameo)

Yes. They mostly look as how I imaged them from the books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, if that is the picture they chose to inspire excitement... they chose poorly.

THey're E first look photos they're meant to inspire clicks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
...wait, what? Netflix has a second Masters of the Universe reboot on the way? When the new one is barely out?

I guess one is going for kids and one is going for adult nostalgia? I'm so confused :psyduck:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 19, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZNbeEQZYw

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

...wait, what? Netflix has a second Masters of the Universe reboot on the way? When the new one is barely out?

I guess one is going for kids and one is going for adult nostalgia? I'm so confused :psyduck:

Actual link to the trailer -- which kind of sucks tbh -- for anyone who doesn't want to deal with soul sucking content repackaging "news" sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXApnj-ztIE

Edit: Or accidentally click on the pretty cool Foundation trailer LOL.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I wonder if it's actually going to get to the fall of the empire stuff (which is pretty deep in the prequels) or if all the action shots in this are from flash-forward sequences.

Foundation was always thought to be unadaptable because the original books were like

- a few chapters following one flat, stock character
- 60 year time jump
- a few chapters following one flat, stock character
- 30 year time jump

It would be strange of them to start in the prequels, where there's more than one book of steady narrative and characters, and burn through that in a single season.

Maybe it'll be a mix? Tell the story of the future at the same time as Selden?