Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A box has arrived! I think that next time we may need a bigger box, cause this thing is super full.

Take:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oh, and my give!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just picked up the ihav Partagas Mille Fleurs sale that popped up today. It seems like the situation in Cuba will be limiting production for a while and the vendors are saying prices and stock will be effected. At $4 a stick I figured it would be worth it to have a relatively low cost but still decent Cuban option on hand. Most of my other stuff is in the ~$10 range. Cheapest I ever saw the MFs was $3.50 so this isn’t an amazing sale but it’s decent.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

We're back at it again with the Undercrown 10 in short robusto. A bit spicier and fuller bodied than the regular undercrown Maduro. Pretty nice so far, and not terribly expensive.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

NewFatMike posted:

That's a handsome cigar! Thanks for the review. Would you smoke it again?

Speaking of cutters, I'm thinking I'm gonna pull the trigger on a table cutter from Atlantic. It'll do a few straights and Vs using a lever.

Yes, just have to find some and age, this stick definitely needs age……

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm in a similar position - I was too excited for the Andalusian Bulls I picked up and smoked one yesterday while hosting my grandmother's 80th. Wasn't quite where I needed it to be, but an enjoyable time nonetheless.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Wooking pa NUB

Smoking the NUB ct 460

Great construction, beautiful Connecticut wrapper and a medium draw

1/3 mellow smoke with a strong grass and leather
2/3 so far a solid smoke, great flavor that has built upon the initial taste, even burn telling me that a long filler was used
3/3 very nice 45 minute stick, never became too tar like or bitter and was a solid smoke over all.

Over all, if I can not find or do not have one of my go to’s this is a great substitute, maybe a breakfast smoke or initial pre dinner smoke.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm in a similar position - I was too excited for the Andalusian Bulls I picked up and smoked one yesterday while hosting my grandmother's 80th. Wasn't quite where I needed it to be, but an enjoyable time nonetheless.

I was really impressed with the presentation and construction, absolutely amazing! However, the initial heat and taste one of a young cigar. I can see this as being an amazing smoke given time and proper aging. After the first third, i found the taste to be quote good.

Off to the pool, god drat hot here…..

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 15, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Celebrating one year since my spouse and I got engaged, they gifted me a box of 2017 La Aurora Hors d'Ages then, of which I have five left for special occasions.

They are having a 2009 Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut - maybe the oldest cigar from my own collection. I'm having the 2017 Bolivar Bellicoso Fino, courtesy of zuffenphile from the first box pass.

I'm loving this BBF - a similar smoke is the La Aurora 115 Bellicoso, although that is a bit more on the umami side with that fermentation flavor I love.

Gentlemen, I hope you're having a standout weekend! A big week ahead for me; job interview tomorrow, catching up with a colleague whom I'm hoping will also have a job opportunity, and I leave for BattleBots filming for a few weeks on Thursday!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The box pass has landed! I'll be posting a review of its contents hopefully today, maybe tomorrow. I am astonished that Wiggles was able to pack that, that was a serious Tetris job. I'll definitely look into a larger box for next time.

NewFatMike posted:

Celebrating one year since my spouse and I got engaged, they gifted me a box of 2017 La Aurora Hors d'Ages then, of which I have five left for special occasions.

They are having a 2009 Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut - maybe the oldest cigar from my own collection. I'm having the 2017 Bolivar Bellicoso Fino, courtesy of zuffenphile from the first box pass.

I'm loving this BBF - a similar smoke is the La Aurora 115 Bellicoso, although that is a bit more on the umami side with that fermentation flavor I love.

Gentlemen, I hope you're having a standout weekend! A big week ahead for me; job interview tomorrow, catching up with a colleague whom I'm hoping will also have a job opportunity, and I leave for BattleBots filming for a few weeks on Thursday!

Hey congrats, that sounds awesome! That Bolivar is really fun.

zuffenphile posted:

Wooking pa NUB

Smoking the NUB ct 460

Great construction, beautiful Connecticut wrapper and a medium draw

1/3 mellow smoke with a strong grass and leather
2/3 so far a solid smoke, great flavor that has built upon the initial taste, even burn telling me that a long filler was used
3/3 very nice 45 minute stick, never became too tar like or bitter and was a solid smoke over all.

Over all, if I can not find or do not have one of my go to’s this is a great substitute, maybe a breakfast smoke or initial pre dinner smoke.

I was really impressed with the presentation and construction, absolutely amazing! However, the initial heat and taste one of a young cigar. I can see this as being an amazing smoke given time and proper aging. After the first third, i found the taste to be quote good.

Off to the pool, god drat hot here…..

Glad you enjoyed that one so much! The Nub Connecticut 460 is one of our go-to sticks, and is a famously good coffee smoke. I had one last night that was rich and zesty, in addition to creamy and delicate. Really enjoyed it. On the auction sites you can sometimes get boxes of them for really cheap, although supplies vary.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I finally tried Semois, and that poo poo is wild. Really good but not something I'd like to smoke all the time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Goddamn do I love Semois.

Taking a break from building a BattleBot and I just wanted to share that the Tatuaje Series P Short Robusto is a great get. A little sweet, a little grassy, some good spice.

It just hits the spot and costs $2.50.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm preparing my big post on the box pass, but in the mean time I want to say: Padron Corticos are loving incredible. Pretty confident in saying these are my favorite short smoke. The only possible contender would be the ERDM Demi Tasse. The ERDM might have a better flavor, and they're a bit smaller (plus being Cuban makes them a little cooler), but the Padron Corticos are phenomenal in terms of construction, and are truly delightful. I'm anticipating some sort of Labor Day sale at Famous Smoke and I'll definitely pick up another 6x6 pack of tins.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My favorite trick is to monitor the Cigar Monster side of things, find something you want there so you get the discounted item + free shipping, and then you use CATS when you go to check out on Famous Smoke. I haven’t been buying cigars online (except for a couple of Cuban orders to build up a small stockpile to hold until production normalizes down there) so I don’t know if any Padron stuff ever pops up on Cigar Monster but if the timing works out sometimes you can stack those deep discounts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You absolute madman. I just picked up a 35 box (the tins are on backorder) of Padron Corticos along with a 10 pack of Nub Cameroon 466 BTP and another 10 pack of Nub Connecticut 454. I can't believe you've done this to me.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

You absolute madman. I just picked up a 35 box (the tins are on backorder) of Padron Corticos along with a 10 pack of Nub Cameroon 466 BTP and another 10 pack of Nub Connecticut 454. I can't believe you've done this to me.

As the good lord intended.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
So I need to sell off some 5ers and samplers, what is the go to 5 finger cigar bag these days?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:siren: the annual Gawith Hoggarth restock has occured at SmokingPipes, if you're looking for any Lakeland tobacco (very unique traditional British aromatics, floral is the best way to describe them) now's your chance. Already some sellouts.

I had only ever been able to get my hands on Brown Flake before and loved it, so I've put in an order for a fair amount of Ennerdale (the most well-known of their blends) plus some Bob's Chocolate Flake, Rum Flake, Dark Flake, and Kendal Flake. Excited to try these out once they come in.

FUCK COREY PERRY fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 25, 2021

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Double post but whatever, cigar goons I'm going camping soon and want to bring a few sticks along to share with friends. This would be for people who rarely smoke cigars, myself included. Any recommendations of newbie-friendly ones to try, and spots to order from in Canada? I know I had a maduro a few years back that I quite enjoyed, but beyond that I don't really know much of anything.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

So I need to sell off some 5ers and samplers, what is the go to 5 finger cigar bag these days?

I don't know, but based on the kind of stuff you regularly post about I'd probably be a potential customer so feel free to shoot me a DM once you get it all worked out

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Double post but whatever, cigar goons I'm going camping soon and want to bring a few sticks along to share with friends. This would be for people who rarely smoke cigars, myself included. Any recommendations of newbie-friendly ones to try, and spots to order from in Canada? I know I had a maduro a few years back that I quite enjoyed, but beyond that I don't really know much of anything.

I'd say Nub Connecticuts, Big Payback Maduros, and AJ fernandez bellas artes. All affordable and delicious and not super gnarly.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Gramps posted:

I don't know, but based on the kind of stuff you regularly post about I'd probably be a potential customer so feel free to shoot me a DM once you get it all worked out

Yeah you can add me to that list too for curiosity sake

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ophidian posted:

As above, definitely interested in anything you're divesting yourself of.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Seconding Nub Connecticut, also Perdomo Champagne Puritos. Those are both excellent newbie Connecticuts. Also Padron and Padron maduros are fantastic, classic-tasting cigars that are widely available. I'd look for the 2000, which is a 5x50 robusto or the Delicias, which is a 4.9x46 corona, although it might be harder to find the Delicias at a B&M. No idea about ordering online in Canada, sorry.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian posted:

I would pick up one to three 👀

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’d also be down!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also, https://mlbaproducts.com/product/5-finger-bags/

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Bags ordered. Once I get them I’ll be making up 5ers of sticks that have been smoking really well (samplers) so I can reinvest into a box or two to put down for a while.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trip report: Casa Fuente is a rip-off, but so is the rest of Vegas. Will provide reviews of their house smokes when I get to them tho

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Trip report: Casa Fuente is a rip-off, but so is the rest of Vegas. Will provide reviews of their house smokes when I get to them tho

Everyone says to get a mojito but I’ve never been.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wasn't going to stick around in a pandemic :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Overpriced, but it's a good joint to have a cigar and a drink at the bar.

Also, Vegas is absolutely not a ripoff - you just have to know what you're getting in to.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just got in an order of 10 Curivari Glora de Leons, 5 Illusione 88s, 5 Illusione Epernay Robustos, 5 LFD Petit La Nox, and 5 Flor de Las Antilles torpedos

God give me the strength to let these rest and not start burning them immediately

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Overpriced, but it's a good joint to have a cigar and a drink at the bar.

Also, Vegas is absolutely not a ripoff - you just have to know what you're getting in to.

Being here not for vacation is probably coloring my feelings :v:

I'll definitely come back some time.

I did break in the best punch cutter I've ever used from Casa Fuente, so I'm pretty thrilled about that.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dramatika posted:

I just got in an order of 10 Curivari Glora de Leons, 5 Illusione 88s, 5 Illusione Epernay Robustos, 5 LFD Petit La Nox, and 5 Flor de Las Antilles torpedos

God give me the strength to let these rest and not start burning them immediately

That’s a solid order.

NewFatMike posted:

I did break in the best punch cutter I've ever used from Casa Fuente, so I'm pretty thrilled about that.

I got five really cheap punch cutters for $15 and I regret it. I have to go so slow otherwise I risk breaking the cap/wrapper. I should have just bought a couple of nicer ones but I tend to lose them so I thought this made sense.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Double post but for those with the Atlantic VIP what are the prices like compared to the direct/member pricing?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The decreases in pricing are generally quite substantial. Is there a particular stick you're looking for?

E: there are a fair quantity of brands or lines that don't get discounts, but I don't regret it in the least.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I live here a d I have a pretty good time!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aww man, I'm here filming for BattleBots with the dumbest motherfucker on earth for a team captain. That puts me at 3 Vegas e-cquaintances I don't get to meet in real life because of his shoddy management :(

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Here's a silly beginner question. I bought a couple Hemingways that are a Perfecto shape and the foot narrows to a very tight hole. Do I cut the tip off before smoking or just light as is? It seems like it would really restrict the draw.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The five finger bags arrived.

Shoot me a pm and I’ll let you know what is available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Grandito posted:

Here's a silly beginner question. I bought a couple Hemingways that are a Perfecto shape and the foot narrows to a very tight hole. Do I cut the tip off before smoking or just light as is? It seems like it would really restrict the draw.

Normally these are fine to light - closed foot cigars are A Thing™️

You can always cut the cap and take a dry puff to see how it's going, too.