Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Antonioni is a great suggestion. The Passenger a favorite from him and is a great fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

For some reason, I've taken to unwinding by re-watching Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night pretty much every night before I fall asleep. I really like the sort of metaphysical mystery/noir tone that reminds me a little bit of the works of David Lynch/the writings of Paul Auster/Borges, but I also really like how... hazy it feels? It kind of just drifts around and not a lot happens. I guess I'm looking for recommendations like that. Kind of slow drifting movies where the plot unfolds pretty slowly, if there's even a plot at all. Bonus if it's got some kind of broad metaphysical theme, but I don't think there's quite that many of those kinds of films out there.

Stuff I've seen that kind of scratches that itch:

Kaili Blues (same director. I also watched his short film the Poet and The Singer, but it didn't grab me as much. Loved Kaili Blues though)

Uncle Bonamee Who Can Recall Past Lives

Still Walking

Paris Texas

Stalker

Calendar (Atom Egoyan. I watched most of his other films and while good, this one I really enjoyed.)

I have Criterion, Netflix, and HBOMax, so if your recs could be on one of those three streaming services that would be awesome.

Thanks for any recs you guys can scrounge up for me!
Since you like Uncle Boonmee, give Apichatpong Weerasethakul's other films a try, they all feel similarly like that

Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy

I don't think she's on any of the streaming services you listed, but Angela Schanelec would be a director to keep in mind

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

For some reason, I've taken to unwinding by re-watching Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night pretty much every night before I fall asleep. I really like the sort of metaphysical mystery/noir tone that reminds me a little bit of the works of David Lynch/the writings of Paul Auster/Borges, but I also really like how... hazy it feels? It kind of just drifts around and not a lot happens. I guess I'm looking for recommendations like that. Kind of slow drifting movies where the plot unfolds pretty slowly, if there's even a plot at all. Bonus if it's got some kind of broad metaphysical theme, but I don't think there's quite that many of those kinds of films out there.

Stuff I've seen that kind of scratches that itch:

Kaili Blues (same director. I also watched his short film the Poet and The Singer, but it didn't grab me as much. Loved Kaili Blues though)

Uncle Bonamee Who Can Recall Past Lives

Still Walking

Paris Texas

Stalker

Calendar (Atom Egoyan. I watched most of his other films and while good, this one I really enjoyed.)

I have Criterion, Netflix, and HBOMax, so if your recs could be on one of those three streaming services that would be awesome.

Thanks for any recs you guys can scrounge up for me!

I’m sure you know that Tarkovsky was a huge influence on Bi Gan, and all of his movies have a good bit of this vibe, not just stalker. Other communist bloc filmmmakers and their direct descendents are probably good bets, Bela Tarr, Zulawski (maybe a little stressful/horny for what you’re looking for), Kieslowski, any of the fifth generation Chinese guys

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

I posted a little while ago about slow hypnotic films and got a bunch of recommendations. I just want to say thanks and mention a few that stood out to me from what I've seen so far.

Antonioni:

I watched L'aventurra. I didn't like it, but I couldn't tell you why. All the pieces were there, but I didn't really connect with the story of a bunch of alienated socialites searching for meaning. But I have kind of a "two strikes" rule with new directors. I watch two of their movies, just because I like to give myself a chance. So I ended up watching Red Desert.

That was a fantastic film. So I'm 50/50 on Antonioni. I might give the passenger a try later.

DeimosRising posted:

Bela Tarr, Zulawski (maybe a little stressful/horny for what you’re looking for), Kieslowski

I'd forgotten to mention Zulawski and Kieslowski in my post. I've seen On The Silver Globe and count it as one of my favorite films of all time, but as you point out, his stuff is a little stressful/horny for what I'm looking for. As far as Kieslowski goes, I watched Blind Chance a while back on a whim and really enjoyed it. I'm gonna watch the Three Colors trilogy as soon as I'm done with my current film, Satantango. I'm actually really enjoying this one despite it's 7-hour runtime (I'm watching it in hour-two hour chunks, or an act-break, whatever comes first.) It's bleak but in a way I find strangely... comforting. Reminds me a lot of Stalker.

Coaaab posted:

Since you like Uncle Boonmee, give Apichatpong Weerasethakul's other films a try, they all feel similarly like that

Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy

I don't think she's on any of the streaming services you listed, but Angela Schanelec would be a director to keep in mind
Old Joy is on my list. I wanna say I watched Cemetery of Splendour and didn't enjoy it much, but it's been so long I'll give it a re-watch. Schanelec is not on Criterion but I'll keep her name in mind.

regulargonzalez posted:

Flowers of Shanghai immediately came to mind. Hardly any plot, gorgeously lit and filmed, I watched it when on painkillers recovering from surgery and it is the perfect narcotic haze movie.

This is on the list too! Thanks again for all the recs!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

magic cactus posted:

I'm gonna watch the Three Colors trilogy as soon as I'm done with my current film, Satantango. I'm actually really enjoying this one despite it's 7-hour runtime (I'm watching it in hour-two hour chunks, or an act-break, whatever comes first.) It's bleak but in a way I find strangely... comforting. Reminds me a lot of Stalker.
The mention of Tarr reminded me to recommend you Gus Van Sant's Gerry and then from there, see if you want to watch Elephant or Last Days.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

magic cactus posted:

I posted a little while ago about slow hypnotic films and got a bunch of recommendations. I just want to say thanks and mention a few that stood out to me from what I've seen so far.

Hey, here's a few additional slow, hypnotic immersive recommendations I don't think have been mentioned yet:

First Cow;
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring
Sweetgrass

Lastdancer posted:

Hi everyone! I am hoping to get some recommendations for movies that deal with any of the following:
  • A redemption journey arc involving substantial self-reflection and change
  • Losing everything and starting over with a new life
  • Coming to terms with learning to love oneself instead of comparing unrealistically to others

Did you find any good scratches for this itch? I find myself in a similar mood.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bongo Bill posted:

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

Patton
Master and Commander
A Bridge Too Far

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Patton
Master and Commander
A Bridge Too Far

spartacus

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

Bridge to the River Kwai
The Great Escape

Somewhat similar in that they are both about commanding officers dealing with being in a POW camp

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
No generals, but if you haven't seen "When Trumpets Fade" I recommend it

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Laurence of Arabia almost fits that bill. Paths of Glory, less so, but is still a very good near-historical war themed movie.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Bongo Bill posted:

Not a traditional war movie, but Battle of Algiers has one of the best portrayals of an enemy general you can find.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just saw Lost Highway and did not really enjoy it. I was hoping for a creepy, atmospheric, surreal take on the classic road movie. What movies actually are that?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Lost Highway is one of my favorite movies, so you may want to take any of my recommendations with a grain of salt. Wild at Heart is another Lynch film that's more of a road movie. I find it to be among the more polarizing Lynch films, so it's hard to say if you'll go for it. Straight Story is a great road movie, but not creepy or very surreal. Strangely, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a good fit, but it's probably not what you're looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I love Lynch but Wild at Heart is not a good movie

The Doom Generation fits but is also not a good movie

E: After Hours isn't a road movie per se but I think it's the best fit so far

E2: dark, creepy, and good (but not surreal) road movies: Badlands, Kalifornia

E3: I suppose Natural Born Killers is a decent fit

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 25, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

magic cactus posted:

I watched L'aventurra. I didn't like it, but I couldn't tell you why. All the pieces were there, but I didn't really connect with the story of a bunch of alienated socialites searching for meaning. But I have kind of a "two strikes" rule with new directors. I watch two of their movies, just because I like to give myself a chance. So I ended up watching Red Desert.

Interesting that you enjoyed Red Desert but not L'avventura since those are arguably his closest films in terms of themes and style. What made you love the former?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just saw Lost Highway and did not really enjoy it. I was hoping for a creepy, atmospheric, surreal take on the classic road movie. What movies actually are that?

If you're fine with a road trip that contains no actual roads (or cars), Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're fine with a road trip that contains no actual roads (or cars), Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Great movie except for the soundtrack being the same clanging guitar chord over and over again

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Interesting that you enjoyed Red Desert but not L'avventura since those are arguably his closest films in terms of themes and style. What made you love the former?

Honestly I just loved the cinematography in Red Desert. There were some beautiful shots in that movie.

Got one hour left in Satantango. I'm thinking either Three Colors or A Brighter Summer's Day next.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Landscape in the Mist
The Passenger

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh yeah, you're right. Landscape in the Mist is the perfect fit for atmopsheric, surreal road movie.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'd like to watch a good movie about Don Quixote. Can be a real movie, or a recording of a play or opera. Modernization or rewrites are ok as long as it sticks reasonably close to the original in terms of plot and message. Ideally on streaming or YouTube somewhere. Can anyone recommend one?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

pidan posted:

I'd like to watch a good movie about Don Quixote. Can be a real movie, or a recording of a play or opera. Modernization or rewrites are ok as long as it sticks reasonably close to the original in terms of plot and message. Ideally on streaming or YouTube somewhere. Can anyone recommend one?

The Russian Don Kikhot is quite good. My review.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looking for movies that involve groups of people investigating some kind of mystery, but with each individual attacking it from different angles or with their own storylines. Thinking stuff like Zodiac (cops/journalists/Graysmith) or Spotlight (where each journalist's plot is relatively self-contained)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

One of the earliest examples I can think of is Fritz Lang's M, which charts both the police's and the criminals' search for a child killer.

Out 1 has two characters who investigate the same conspiracy and never meet each other. The three protagonists of L.A. Confidential also conduct their individual investigations at various points during the story, if I remember correctly.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
It's not a movie, but the first 1~1.5 seasons of The Expanse are kind of structured like that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

The Russian Don Kikhot is quite good. My review.

This website is fucken wild, thanks so much

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Really wasn't sure what to expect....especially with the poster giving off a pretty dark vibe.....but 'Pig' was great. Not what I thought it was going to be. That's a good thing. Really well written and acted all the way around.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s, highly stylized or otherwise. Think The Long Goodbye and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where the setting is front and center, for example. Documentary recommendations welcome as well. I'm especially interested in seeing something set in the Pacific Northwest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Drugstore Cowboy. Gus Van Sant in general is the Pacific Northwest's most acclaimed director, though his other films take place later than the 70s.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Awesome, thank you! This seems exactly like the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s, highly stylized or otherwise. Think The Long Goodbye and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where the setting is front and center, for example. Documentary recommendations welcome as well. I'm especially interested in seeing something set in the Pacific Northwest.

Inherent Vice is this to a T. Makes me think of Almost Famous, too. I'd also suggest Monterey Pop, as a very West Coast answer to Woodstock -- lots of that countercultural psychedelia of the era.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s

Repo Man is a good one for LA too.

Twin Peaks is a good one for Washington filming locations, and the pilot is pretty much a movie (was released as a movie abroad - though with a different ending).

To throw a vague recommendation idea out there, Jackie Brown rules. I like its mix of smooth dialogue driven entertainment, while also being heartfelt. Doesn't feel farcical like other crime comedy/drama movies I love. I've seen all QT's movies, and probably most well known crime comedies (and Coen bros etc), but anything that fits this vibe of heartfelt while also funny and cool?

Crime can be involved, but could be a bit different. For example, I think White Men Can't Jump might fit that. Preferably 80s onward for the vibe I'm thinking of. Maybe some 70s.

I guess hangout movies for the QT or Leonard fan, with some grounded-ness to them.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 19, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

To throw a vague recommendation idea out there, Jackie Brown rules. I like its mix of smooth dialogue driven entertainment, while also being heartfelt. Doesn't feel farcical like other crime comedy/drama movies I love. I've seen all QT's movies, and probably most well known crime comedies (and Coen bros etc), but anything that fits this vibe of heartfelt while also funny and cool?

Bande à part, though you've probably seen it. You could also try Big Deal on Madonna Street, which is the comedy caper everyone's been ripping off for the past sixty years.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

morestuff posted:

Looking for movies that involve groups of people investigating some kind of mystery, but with each individual attacking it from different angles or with their own storylines. Thinking stuff like Zodiac (cops/journalists/Graysmith) or Spotlight (where each journalist's plot is relatively self-contained)

Memories of Murder fits this.

feedback loop posted:

To Live and Die in LA is a great look at 80s Los Angeles. Boyz in the Hood is like 90 or 91 but would fit as well. Menace II Society or South Central if you want more early 90s feel.

Allyn posted:

Inherent Vice is this to a T. Makes me think of Almost Famous, too. I'd also suggest Monterey Pop, as a very West Coast answer to Woodstock -- lots of that countercultural psychedelia of the era.

Monterey Pop Festival was two years before Woodstock.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedback loop posted:

It may not be your thing, but I keep having Dirty Harry pop into my mind as a nice look at 70's era San Francisco. The city plays a big part in the film.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bande à part, though you've probably seen it. You could also try Big Deal on Madonna Street, which is the comedy caper everyone's been ripping off for the past sixty years.

Cool, thanks. Scorsese likes Madonna Street, so we've got his blessing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Wizchine posted:

It may not be your thing, but I keep having Dirty Harry pop into my mind as a nice look at 70's era San Francisco. The city plays a big part in the film.

i saw this a lot as a kid what with my dad really liking it and decided to watch it again last year.

didn't make it fifteen minutes before i had to shut it off. i knew it was incredibly racist going in, but i wasn't quite set for actually seeing it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool, thanks. Scorsese likes Madonna Street, so we've got his blessing.

True, but then Scorsese loves every film made in Italy between 1945 and 1970.

Which is the correct opinion to have of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Voodoofly posted:

Memories of Murder fits this.

This made me laugh, I love MoM.