Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LGD posted:

tbh I liked a bunch of the bf1 maps, but the one I'd probably most like them to reprise in 2042 is Fort de Vaux - I'd much rather have that be the infantry meatgrinder map than another reprise of Metro or Operation Locker

Yeah idk if it was just the weapon selection in BF1 or if Vaux actually lacked the chokepoint-focused layout but it was cool to have a tunnels map that didn't just collapse into a pronecamp bonerfest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hell yeah

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Gameplay aside I'd be interested to see if they can get maps that look as good as the BF1 maps. Maps like Passchendaele and Verdun are some of the most stunning maps I've played in BF.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Supaflywallace posted:

Gameplay aside I'd be interested to see if they can get maps that look as good as the BF1 maps. Maps like Passchendaele and Verdun are some of the most stunning maps I've played in BF.

Passchendaele has to be one of the most atmospheric levels I've ever played in any FPS

Sucks that it's overall not a great playing map and that if you're playing as the British you are at an absolute disadvantage of being a tan color against a dark grey background while the Germans are dark grey on a dark grey background.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Yeah they sure knew how to make some really atmospheric maps, but the balancing was always off. I'm sure if you data mine the servers you'll see that one team wins map XYZ 75% of all games

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah they sure knew how to make some really atmospheric maps, but the balancing was always off. I'm sure if you data mine the servers you'll see that one team wins map XYZ 75% of all games

austrians winning monte grappa every time because they have those drat artillery

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1428325878409404418?s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
EMP, eh? You know what other game had EMP...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Yeah I guess they're gonna use the near future setting to cram it full of EMP weapons

Also a 4-seat APC confirms 4-man squads

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The United States posted:

Yeah I guess they're gonna use the near future setting to cram it full of EMP weapons

Also a 4-seat APC confirms 4-man squads

6-seat APC confirms 6-man squads in BF4

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

jisforjosh posted:

Passchendaele has to be one of the most atmospheric levels I've ever played in any FPS

It's one of those maps that just makes you feel ill. You can almost smell it. The mud that sprays up when you dive into a ditch, vehicles getting stuck on drat near everything, and the sickly yellow/green fog... Everything about that atmosphere is intense.

I really like the launch maps St. Quentin Scar and Monte Grappa, but I wish there were more servers playing maps from expansion pack maps. Verdun, Soissons, Zeebrugge, River Somme, etc.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's cool each seat has something to do instead of just an invisible machine gun

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That seems pretty versatile. I wonder if that's going to be more the norm for 2042's vehicles outside of a main tank's cannon or similar.

jisforjosh posted:

I think he means all 4 seats have something to do.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If the next Battlefield isn't Battlefield: C&C and specifically set in the TS timeline, we riot

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's one of those maps that just makes you feel ill. You can almost smell it. The mud that sprays up when you dive into a ditch, vehicles getting stuck on drat near everything, and the sickly yellow/green fog... Everything about that atmosphere is intense.

I really like the launch maps St. Quentin Scar and Monte Grappa, but I wish there were more servers playing maps from expansion pack maps. Verdun, Soissons, Zeebrugge, River Somme, etc.
I always really liked how St. Quentin Scar, especially in Operations, you'd progress from the completely blasted No Mans Land to the pristine town right behind it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

If the next Battlefield isn't Battlefield: C&C and specifically set in the TS timeline, we riot

So, Renegade?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mordja posted:

If the next Battlefield isn't Battlefield: C&C and specifically set in the TS Red Alert timeline, we riot

:yeah:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

I mean it had 5 man squads, so...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

So, Renegade?

Sure, except without the dogshit shooting that was kinda poor even at the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Sure, except without the dogshit shooting that was kinda poor even at the time.

... yeah

:smith:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

I want a new C&C Tiberium RTS game, preferrably something that retcons C&C4....

but...

I would gladly accept this compromise.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love Zeebrugge and the airships are so much fun. Hitting boats with the front cannon is extremely satisfying.

Mordja posted:

I read in the Mass Effect thread that there was apparently a planned Battlefield: Mass Effect which I would have slammed pre-order on without a moment's hesitation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spectre gunship zeppelins were the best thing Battlefield ever did.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I know it’s been said already but I would kill for a return of titan mode

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

rap music posted:

I know it’s been said already but I would kill for a return of titan mode

I wanna third this.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

reignofevil posted:

I wanna third this.

Fourth. Titan mode was my favorite mode of any BF ever.

Of course 2142 was the best game in the series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I played BF2 immediately followed by 2142 a year or two ago during those couple months some crazy people got away with releasing the games for free and running multiplayer servers for them and it was shocking just bad BF2 was and how much better 2142 was. Guns you could actually reliably hit things with! Who could have imagined that would be important in a first person shooter?

Like I always remembered liking 2142 more than BF2 but the main thing I took away from playing BF2 again was "This was actually kind of a pretty bad game. How did the series survive this?" I wonder if 1942 would feel the same way, though I had probably at least 10 times more hours in Desert Combat than I did in vanilla 1942.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kibayasu posted:

I played BF2 immediately followed by 2142 a year or two ago during those couple months some crazy people got away with releasing the games for free and running multiplayer servers for them and it was shocking just bad BF2 was and how much better 2142 was. Guns you could actually reliably hit things with! Who could have imagined that would be important in a first person shooter?

Like I always remembered liking 2142 more than BF2 but the main thing I took away from playing BF2 again was "This was actually kind of a pretty bad game. How did the series survive this?" I wonder if 1942 would feel the same way, though I had probably at least 10 times more hours in Desert Combat than I did in vanilla 1942.

BF2 is like the ska music of battlefield, it was bad and someone longing for its return probably has a bench warrant out on them somewhere

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

4K capture, man the grappling hook

https://youtu.be/O8WSijyKMXE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok how is the tank doing 200mph.

And ain't it funny that the turret moves realistically now instead of just as fast as your infantrys gun as it did in BF4 at least

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

He’s running max fov so movement speed looks pretty crazy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kri kri posted:

I kinda love how most equipment names are just taking the existing name and pumping up the numbers because it's THE FUTURE. The M4A1 turns into the M5A3, M4 Carl Gustaf becomes the M5 recoilless, KA-50 will be the KA-520. :allears:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya the tanks were fast as gently caress in the tech test. Guessing thats because the maps are huge now so the vehicles need to be able to get around them in a reasonable amount of time. Infantry is a bit faster too

made it pretty difficult to hit a moving tank with the slow rear end rocket launcher

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FAUXTON posted:

BF2 is like the ska music of battlefield, it was bad and someone longing for its return probably has a bench warrant out on them somewhere

Hey, ska’s not dead.

:butt:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Kibayasu posted:

At the time, BF2 was super innovative for a non-sim shooter. The social interfaces that we take for granted in Battlefield, like joining a squad and coordinating with them on VOIP, were a massive step forward when BF2 came out. Similarly, the other games where you took a specific role on a team (like Wolf: ET or TFC) were on way smaller maps and essentially operating on the Quake TDM model, along with COD at the time. BF2 legitimately showed what was possible for large-scale team shooters when they foregrounded communication and cooperation instead of twitchiness. I remember being instantly hooked from the first demo when I joined a squad on Gulf of Oman and ran around to different objectives with them, it was like nothing I had experienced in past shooters.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

BF2 was very well received and was pretty popular, it just hasn’t aged very well. It’s not a bad game.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

kri kri posted:

Hmm this has cooled my excitement a bit. I mean it looks ok, but, yeh I dunno.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

toggle posted:

Just wait till next week. Why anyone would judge a release from an alpha, stripped down technical test is beyond me and one of the reasons why I get developers not really doing alphas with the general populace

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

toggle posted:

the tech test was missing a ton of announced features, ran at low settings and ran like poo poo, and also was glitchy as gently caress. This may or may not be because it was an old build, but theres still a ton of unknowns about the launch itself. I know DICE doesnt have the best record for clean launches, but I would still recommend withholding judgement until at least the open-beta. That will give us a much better idea of what state the game will launch in imo

fwiw, despite all of those issues, I still had a lot of fun in the tech test and it got me amped for launch. It def feels like a direct successor to BF4, much more so than BF1 or BFV. And while I am a HUGE fan of BF1 and an apologist for BFV, im def looking forward to a return to modern combat for 2042

all that being said, to anyone reading this for the love of God dont preorder if youre on the fence and please wait to make sure it isnt completely broken at launch like BF4 was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BF2 fuckin ruled you dorks