Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

no describing a show like that is tedious to read constantly

gently caress, too bad it's a big visible part of the show

Aurora posted:

also that post is somehow even worse

and just think, if you had an ignored an innocuous joke instead of going aggro you would never have had to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's not a good joke friend

wait is it a joke or an actual description of the show?????? you're crossing your wires here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so what i'm hearing is, k-on is boring (positive)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Acerbatus posted:

The best thing about the first Azurlane anime was the dub giving everyone accents, because that is something I am tremendously sad can't really be done in Japanese.

wtf

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aurora posted:

it's not a good joke friend

wait is it a joke or an actual description of the show?????? you're crossing your wires here

it's a joke and a description of the show. i liked the musical aspects of the show, but i really liked the non-musical aspects of the show (so the majority of the series). i find it amusing that a show nominally about a band has such a large slice of life component, and given how many jokes the show makes about that balance, that's not some out there take. i'm sorry for enjoying something in a way that's apparently different from how you enjoy it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

slice of life? more like slice of cake am i right

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there isn't anything about enjoying it wrong, i always see people calling k-on 'lol that show where the girls do nothing' and it's kind of annoying

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

The best thing about the first Azurlane anime was the dub giving everyone accents, because that is something I am tremendously sad can't really be done in Japanese.

regional dialects are a common thing in anime... lots of characters out there with gags about speaking kansai-ben

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aurora posted:

there isn't anything about enjoying it wrong, i always see people calling k-on 'lol that show where the girls do nothing' and it's kind of annoying
just roll your eyes and move on

marumaru
May 20, 2013

so i found out there's an anime called Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu and it looks kinda cute and... well... it's literally in the title. i'm probably legally obligated to watch it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
i'm gonna watch k-on

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Acerbatus posted:

what in the heck ya'll

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

and if you want an example the other way, a lot of western transformers media gets extremely extensive dub changes when dubbed into japanese, since the audience for transformers in the west is seen as late tweens to early teens, while the audience in japan is seen as six to eight year olds. the changes for beast wars and transformers animated, especially, are extremely heavy. as random examples, the entire beast wars cast all got vocal tics based on which animal they were, something that only a handful of characters had in the original english, and rattrap was given an entire running joke of breaking the 4th wall by smelling what the audience was having for dinner that evening ("Today, the yamadas are having... chicken!") which didn't even have a remote equivalent in the English. And in Transformers Animated's case, several character names were changed to line up better with the michael bay movies, and some character personalities were extensively retooled. For instance, Blitzwing had a German accent in the original English and was given an American one in the japanese dub, a reasonable change on its own (though a bit silly when his entire look is basically just robot colonel klink), but then they also gave him a lot of English dialogue, while the original very rarely spoke any actual german.

I always find the whole subject of localization in any language fascinating, not gonna lie. That Beast Wars thing especially just sounds like some old 4Kids dubs like One Piece.

Also something interesting imho is the argument that the “intent” can sometimes be lost with a proper translation, like the names in My Hero Academia being very on the nose so you could probably make an argument for localizing them so they read the “same”, but since there was that one game where people told the developer he didn’t understand his own language because of a localization change it largely seems like a whole can of worms not worth opening.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

marumaru posted:

so i found out there's an anime called Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu and it looks kinda cute and... well... it's literally in the title. i'm probably legally obligated to watch it

it's good

wa ha ha

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marumaru posted:

hitoribocchi is very very good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tales of Woe posted:

it's good

wa ha ha

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

regional dialects are a common thing in anime... lots of characters out there with gags about speaking kansai-ben

Ok, but that's a regional dialect, not the same thing as having the German characters speak with a German accent or the British ones speak in a British accent.

Maybe "can't" was too strong a term, but I've never seen an anime with foreign (not regional) accent. That could be because I don't know the language well enough, but I could hear the difference in a kansai accent so I'm not sure.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 20, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's quite easy to recognize accents in japanese for me, but i feel they're pretty rarely used, and when they are, usually it's it's just done by a fluent japanese actor intentionally speaking funny japanese rather than getting a foreign person to do it

the best (also worst, lmbo) example is probably stresemann from live action nodame, but the same is also present in anime nodame, although it's much less extreme. off the top of my head there's also kagura from gintama, and then i'm out of ideas.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of accents, how do the Japanese typically handle them in dubs of western properties if they bother at all (like, would a character with a southern accent speak in a Kansai dialect in a dub)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 20, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe in the Japanese dub of King of the Hill, they do not even bother with Boomhauer and he talks normal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was watching Iwa-kakeru the other day and if you pay attention to Jun Uehara's VA (Yui Ishikawa, born in Hyogo and raised in Osaka) you can hear that, despite the fact most of the girls, including her, have a regular dialect and accent, you can still hear her slip into Osakan modisms just the slightest. It's very cute. :3:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

k-on music is extremely good and k-on houkago live is my favorite rhythm game. it also has a button to feed yui cake though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Speaking of accents, how do the Japanese typically handle them in dubs of western properties if they bother at all (like, would a character with a southern accent speak in a Kansai dialect in a dub)?
Yeah, that's a pretty common switch-up. Most of the cast in the Japanese dub of King of the Hill have kind of an accent, and as mentioned Blitzwing in Transformers Animated goes from German to American because an American accent is a more common thing in Japanese. And he has a gimmick of switching personalities based on his mode, so they can play off the stereotypes of Americans. His polite mode uses polite but stiff Japanese, his angry mode swears a bunch in English, his crazy mode just randomly quotes American movies.

And Transformers Animated also cut three minutes of each episode to make room for OPs/EDs, but on the flipside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8GDArLUf2E the jp transformers animated op rules so imo this is an entirely valid choice to make

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe in the Japanese dub of King of the Hill, they do not even bother with Boomhauer and he talks normal.

hosed up if true.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you can't just give boomhauer new lines

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

dogsicle posted:

slice of life? more like slice of cake am i right

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lain/Ryushika av peeps, any of yous read about that exhibition ABe is holding? Honestly wish i flew over to attend it and buy something autographed

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Lain/Ryushika av peeps, any of yous read about that exhibition ABe is holding? Honestly wish i flew over to attend it and buy something autographed

Tell me more

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

From now til the end of August, there’s an exhibition in Japan featuring a ton of Yoshitoshi Abe’s art, mostly from :hr: & Lain. My only source is google translated twitter posts from him and attendees, but (i think) some of it’s for sale and i think he’s there signing some stuff

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 20, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

drat that's rad

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004
Your favorite actress
Will be your dream girlfriend
I'll bring her to you
In a Gundam Wing

Put down your wallet
This one's on me
I brought down a notorious space pirate
In a Gundam Wing

In a Gundam Wing
I'll shoot a big asteroid
And make two pilots careen
And I'll watch it all happen
In a Gundam Wing

I'll adjust the cabin's temperature
And stay out all night
I'll fall asleep when I want to
And pick my own fights

I'm ready for action
I'm ready for my big scene
I'll watch it all happen
From deep in a Gundam Wing

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

It's Friday! What are y'all consuming this weekend? I'm going to be reading SANDA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Still reading Isekai Transporter.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

herlock sholmes

marumaru
May 20, 2013

watched Mugen Train (it was alright), caught up on my weeklies (sotsu, sonny boy and to your eternity), and started hitoribocchi.
i've also been watching the western live action anime film The Green Knight, which has been very good so far.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I just finished binge reading Blue Period up to current.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and the art is fantastic. The MC can have a frustrating lack of self-awareness at times, but I suppose that's kinda the point of showing this story of him growing up. It's also strange how the secondary cast just pops up for a chapter or three and then disappears again. It makes them all feel "unfinished" in a sense, because I want to know what they're up to off-screen but the author seems very set in only showing us the MC's perspective.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

In the most non-gate-keeping way, does anyone feel like the current anime culture now is totally different than the anime culture in the 90's and early 00's.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I watched Eva

Eva is the fuckin' best

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gay for gacha posted:

In the most non-gate-keeping way, does anyone feel like the current anime culture now is totally different than the anime culture in the 90's and early 00's.

I mean, it is. That's not really gatekeeping at all, it's just a statement of fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

gay for gacha posted:

I get what you mean. Anime kinda stayed around longer in the culture unlike today. Will anyone remember Attack on Titan in 5 years?