Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still stuck dead at A18 on Silent.

I still learn all the time, and it feels amazing how just the tiniest buffs or cards let me wreck the minibosses in Act 1.

I think my 100% downfall is Book of Stabbing in Act 2. It scales SO AGGRESSIVELY and I just can't damage it enough or scale defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Finally beat A20 with defect. That leaves watcher but I wanna throw in my two cents that I think IC was the easiest of the A20's so far and silent was probably the hardest for me. Defect sits somewhere in the middle but it might have actually been the easiest on the journey because IC was a while ago.

Time to refresh some IC and see if I can do an A20 streak. (Doubtful but gently caress I wanna try)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
book of stabbing is weird to me because every other elite has obvious strategy and counters but BoS always just feels like "get lucky with card draw or have a very good deck already" and i dunno if ive ever beat BoS without also beating the a2 boss

edit: assuming you dont have something like disarm or malaise ready to go

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My favorite Book of Stabbing fight was when the Silent killed him in 2 turns while taking no damage. That deck was so much fun.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i’ve had plenty of decks that just pull upgraded seek, have a mummy hand and some biased cogs and frost orbs or whatever but the ones that don’t overkill it always feel very very close

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Interesting. I've been doing heartkill ascensions and it always goes: Beat the heart with silent first, IC soonafter... Eventually I have the time to actually concentrate and Watcher get over, and it's always the defect that comes in last.

I'm on A20 with everyone but defect, but I just keep having these great starts with defect, then wiping on either the second act elites, bosses, or the heart

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey so uh.

Before you add two Endless Agonies to your deck because they make the Storm of Steel+ you got from the whale really pop.

Make sure it's not a Guardian act.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey guys, I think I figured out how to make a discard deck work at high ascensions.

See if you can figure it out too. :v:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Hey guys, I think I figured out how to make a discard deck work at high ascensions.

Figure out what? 5x of one of the most versatile rares in the game?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MJeff posted:

By not going to Act 4?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Only 1 Calculated Gamble and no Gambling Chip?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Drunk Nerds posted:

Figure out what? 5x of one of the most versatile rares in the game?

:thejoke:

Walla posted:

Only 1 Calculated Gamble and no Gambling Chip?

I know, can you believe I only got offered one Caclulated? Talk about bad rewards. 🙄

Jedit posted:

By not going to Act 4?

I chickened the gently caress out and decided to take Tungsten Rod instead of the blue key. Then I dug at the last campfire and got Akabeko. Both completely did not matter, I easily could've gone to act 4.

And probably gotten eviscerated by Beat of Death.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, I've stopped trying to tackle the Heart lately. And I'm still on the lower Ascensions.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is it expected of True Gamers to go to Act 4 while ascension climbing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kiranamos posted:

I almost never do if I think there's even a slight chance that changing my pathing to get the keys will reduce my chances of winning.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kiranamos posted:

I always did Act 4 because its not like it costs you anything, you still get the next ascension if you beat the Act 3 boss even if you die to the Heart :shrug:

Also just because having to route in the Super-Elite makes the game more interesting. Chest relic is usually free because there are enough bad/marginal relics that there's at least 1 I don't feel bad about skipping in like 90%+ games

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wait… Do you only have to beat Act 3 to clear an Ascension? Act 4 is actually optional?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kheldarn posted:

Wait… Do you only have to beat Act 3 to clear an Ascension? Act 4 is actually optional?

Yep. Even if you go to Act 4 you still unlock the next ascension if you beat the Act 3 boss and it counts as a win.

The Heart and Ascensions 16-20 were released after a lot of the rest of the game had been completed so it just kept the old unlock method and added to it. Same reason there are 3 keys tied to Ironclad/Silent/Defect and none for the Watcher.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I always go for Act 4. You will basically never be so close on beating Act 3 that one relic and one card upgrade will make a difference. I don't usually beat the Heart when I make it past Act 3 but it feels right to at least try.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WrightOfWay posted:

I always go for Act 4. You will basically never be so close on beating Act 3 that one relic and one card upgrade will make a difference. I don't usually beat the Heart when I make it past Act 3 but it feels right to at least try.

It's less that and more how going after the super elite can take you on a path that has a much lower chance of winning. It's not terrible difficult for that to happen three acts in a row.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I will go for act four in 100% of runs. It’s up to you but I enjoy the challenge that poses.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wow look at the guy whos bragging that he's never accidentally skipped a key on act 3 cause he forgot

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Verviticus posted:

wow look at the guy whos bragging that he's never accidentally skipped a key on act 3 cause he forgot

Oh, I have, and i typically abandon the run when I do. It’s always the rest key too :bang:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
For me I can't help clicking on the amazing relic in the last chest that would make my deck so much better and, whoops.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thats literally my most common reason for save scumming! So long as you haven't gone to the next room, it will reset the chest.

God drat I loved the silent deck I got just a bit ago. Swear to god, 3 calculated gambles and like 3 each of the "discard to draw" and "discard to gain energy" cards. Also two bullet times for the hell of it even though they were probably a detriment overall.

It wasn't quite good enough to go infinite even then, lots of other garbage, but it still carried me to a win just off discard synergy of those cards.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If I was playing on A20, I would probably go for the Heart every time, but right now, I'm just trying to get there.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

droll posted:

For me I can't help clicking on the amazing relic in the last chest that would make my deck so much better and, whoops.

That ceramic fish holds so many possibilities!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TacoNight posted:

That ceramic fish holds so many possibilities!

Look, that's like another 50 gold you can add to the deck for the Act 4 shop, that's way more important than the blue key.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Has anyone here ever found a way to make grand finale not absolutely worthless?

Feels like yet another example of a card that relies on synergies to work (stuff like havoc, that drains the draw pile without reshuffling it) that the silent doesn't actually have in their deck!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Feels like yet another example of a card that relies on synergies to work (stuff like havoc, that drains the draw pile without reshuffling it) that the silent doesn't actually have in their deck!

There are a couple of ways to do it, my favorite is the dumb speedrun way where you do the Pandora's Box glitch to remove all the strikes/defends and replace them with nothing so you just constantly play it with any card draw :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqNC0JSHKc

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's rare, but it can happen. Lots of card draw and Well-Laid Plans are a must. Phantasmal Killer helps vs the endgame. Stuff that draws for 0 like Escape Plan can help fine-tune things. And then you just plan your fights very, very carefully.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

If you can reduce your effective deck size to 10 or less you can easily set up Grand Finale every turn, and usually more than once a turn. Runic Pyramid makes it trivial, and Calculated Gamble+ with Reflex+ can easily take it infinite. You'll need the Medkit or some other way to exhaust to beat Act 4, though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9K2dYvIGY5A

Basically runic pyramid makes it a lot more viable because once your hand is full you can control how many cards you draw by how many you play. Discard cards and a small deck help a lot too.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dyz posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9K2dYvIGY5A

Basically runic pyramid makes it a lot more viable because once your hand is full you can control how many cards you draw by how many you play. Discard cards and a small deck help a lot too.

Somehow I knew what video this was without clicking.

Also, almost everything is better with Pyramid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, y'all were right. I tried a grand finale & eviscerate deck and holy loving poo poo I just chewed through EVERYTHING once it got small enough. Had a few close calls early on by halfway through floor two pretty much every combat ended in one round. I took 3 more damage over the remained of the run.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
A good discard deck might be my favorite, combine that with grand finale and that's just :kiss:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Was having trouble getting the defect to click and then last night pulled two echo forms and that was a lot of fun. If you use the first play twice to play the second echo form you get three cards a turn that play twice each.

Throw in a sneko eye and stuff gets pretty dumb. Like I killed the heart by filling 10 orb slots with dark orbs, strengthening them with repeats of darkness+ and then triggering them all at once with fission.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Kiranamos posted:

I try everytime. I feel incomplete if i dont at least die to the heart

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Murgos posted:

Was having trouble getting the defect to click and then last night pulled two echo forms and that was a lot of fun. If you use the first play twice to play the second echo form you get three cards a turn that play twice each.

Throw in a sneko eye and stuff gets pretty dumb. Like I killed the heart by filling 10 orb slots with dark orbs, strengthening them with repeats of darkness+ and then triggering them all at once with fission.

No, you killed it by dealing 400 damage by other means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Murgos posted:

I love multi Echo Form!

Me: Yeah I should take a 4th Echo Form, what could go wrong

Time Eater: