Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

zedprime posted:

I'm speaking generally because we've already established there's no blood left in your stone. But what I don't get for you, and it's honestly because I don't know your background, location, skillset finances etc. So maybe it isn't as sure as a shot in the logistic markets I'm adjacent to, is why you don't just no show and get a $5k sign on for picking pallets somewhere where you get in line for a clerk/sales position that if it isn't open yet will be in weeks. I don't know a logistic sector that isn't in absolute chaos and paying bounties for truck drivers, fork drivers, clerks etc. because everyone is calling everyone's bluff.

I'm not picking pallets. I don't want a sales clerk position. I am not forklift certified. I was hired to answer the phone and send emails. I physically *cannot* pick pallets and poo poo, that's why I took the office gig and it turned into this poo poo show. I'm not able bodied, I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and a lot of other things happening; my background is pretty chaotic because I run a textile business for myself that has been entirely sidelined by the pandemic and this job taking over everything, and prior to leaving the west coast, I'm a professional computer janitor that worked at three of the FAANG companies. Prior to that, I worked in hospitality: first car rental corporate sales, then hotels, then finally I got the gently caress out. My degrees are in physics. I left the west coast as soon as I could for deeply hosed up personal reasons and I miss it every day because now I'm stuck in a poo poo tier state, but at least I like the city I'm in.

It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like the very frustrating part is I just want to be locked in a closet with a really hard math problem and be left alone.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

Believe me, most of us are aware of just how lucky our situation is, as much as we bitch about it.

This is every state except Montana though, as long as you're smart enough to not say it's for a protected reason.

I am really curious how montana somehow managed to become the only non totally at will state, it seems like it'd be the opposite to an outsider

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Volmarias posted:

Believe me, most of us are aware of just how lucky our situation is, as much as we bitch about it.
QFT.

Every time I feel tempted to be stupid and say something to my idiot management, I remind myself that I make a great wage and benefits for my area and WFH well outside of any even unreasonable driving distance from main office. For every legitimate complaint I have, there's a laundry list of things I can be, if not grateful, at least satisfied that are not levied against me. For example, it's massively huge for me that as a button pusher, I'm not asked, let alone ordered or coerced to work outside my expected 40 a week.

All together, it's enough to keep me, for the moment, from seriously looking elsewhere.

I am incredibly lucky, know it, and feel bad for others others have it way, way worse. Godspeed Mormon Nailer.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
8 hours of meetings, all day this week.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cheesus posted:

QFT.

Every time I feel tempted to be stupid and say something to my idiot management, I remind myself that I make a great wage and benefits for my area and WFH well outside of any even unreasonable driving distance from main office. For every legitimate complaint I have, there's a laundry list of things I can be, if not grateful, at least satisfied that are not levied against me. For example, it's massively huge for me that as a button pusher, I'm not asked, let alone ordered or coerced to work outside my expected 40 a week.

All together, it's enough to keep me, for the moment, from seriously looking elsewhere.

I am incredibly lucky, know it, and feel bad for others others have it way, way worse. Godspeed Mormon Nailer.

This is a super depressing post.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mormon Nailer posted:

Like the very frustrating part is I just want to be locked in a closet with a really hard math problem and be left alone.

It's a shame academia is hosed.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

goatface posted:

It's a shame academia is hosed.

Hard agree. I would hilariously be making less if I had stayed in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mormon Nailer posted:

They straight up fired someone who had a miscarriage this week, so, yeah they do have the balls.
They genuinely do not give a gently caress about humans, this is why I'm trying to get out.

Grim lol. This gives you permission to do whatever you can to make this company fail.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

In consulting and finance, if you don't receive your bonus, that means you're getting fired shortly.

Yeah a couple highschool friends majored in financial engineering and their first year bonuses were more than my entire yearly salary from my first job.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also, I know y'all are mostly engineers, but laying this out:

It is awful

Workers if the world unite

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

IME, if a business has been around for more than a few years but is still less than ~25 employees, run screaming. Those are the places where they found a profitable niche but the people running it are so toxic/stupid they can't grow any bigger.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

We are a dealer for a massive international company and my god you really can see just how slowly the wheels turn in these 12-figure behemoths. Every single thing is done -just- sloppily enough and at a snail's pace. Today I got a cool bug where every person in our company was able to see something on our database except me for some reason. Who knows why, and nothing will ever be done about it because it's a tiny tiny bug, but I kept getting questions about something I just straight up was unable to view and see so I was recommending a fix that didn't need to happen. Only because I've run into the issue before a few times in the past three years was I able to discern what was going on and go in to manually fix my own viewing problem, but this kind of poo poo happens all the time with everything. All of our software has these weird peccadillo bugs that are so insanely rare and random but they cause us to just waste a ton of time and money going back and forth until someone is able to suss out what the hell is happening.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Our state HR is reaming our dept's leadership over our massive horrible turnover of young talent while also being the ones responsible for the poo poo that is causing our young engineers to bail. How the gently caress can you blame our management for not keeping a specific GIS expert on the payroll when you're the ones who declined the pay raise we tried to give him, twice?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

8 hours of meetings, all day this week.

I got posted with 8 hours of useless meetings on 2 of my WFH days this week and just played games all day while keeping an ear out for any discussion that tangentially related the stuff I work on (I talked all of twice).

I had other things I could have been working on but my promised pay raise got nuked in our re-org that actually lowered my pay band, so I'm in prime "I don't give a poo poo" mode.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Crackbone posted:

IME, if a business has been around for more than a few years but is still less than ~25 employees, run screaming. Those are the places where they found a profitable niche but the people running it are so toxic/stupid they can't grow any bigger.
Don't doxx me, bro.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Crackbone posted:

qft

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
My bosses boss is tasked with increasing headcount in our department.

Like the stereotypical :smuggo: when faced with the project development triangle and insists "All three!" said boss is convinced he is going to find a) high quality software developers who b) don't want to work from home, and c) dying to work below average salary in a major, highly affluent metropolitan area.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

"I need you to come in at 3am to check in this container from Canada."

"I can't, I have plans already on the schedule."

"Oh, can you move them?"

"No, I cannot move my sleep schedule."

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
"You're awfully not being a team player."

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I remembered from back in the mid-90s, the hospital where I worked tried to ban facial hair and to make nursing staff wear shoes that were white only, no other colors. Not one person shaved or bought new shoes and the hospital just tried to pretend that it neeeever happened...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

a mysterious cloak posted:

I remembered from back in the mid-90s, the hospital where I worked tried to ban facial hair and to make nursing staff wear shoes that were white only, no other colors. Not one person shaved or bought new shoes and the hospital just tried to pretend that it neeeever happened...

I don't understand this, mask fit sealing and easily being able to tell whether your shoes were potentially contaminated sounds reasonable for a hospital?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Deki posted:

I got posted with 8 hours of useless meetings on 2 of my WFH days this week and just played games all day while keeping an ear out for any discussion that tangentially related the stuff I work on (I talked all of twice).

WFH/Virtual has definitely made meetings more bearable. If I do a virtual meeting at work, I can just get other work done while half-listening. If I'm at home, I can just jerk off do the same thing.

Mormon Nailer posted:

They straight up fired someone who had a miscarriage this week, so, yeah they do have the balls.

What in the actual gently caress

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Mr. Toobin?^

Cheesus posted:

My bosses boss is tasked with increasing headcount in our department.

Like the stereotypical :smuggo: when faced with the project development triangle and insists "All three!" said boss is convinced he is going to find a) high quality software developers who b) don't want to work from home, and c) dying to work below average salary in a major, highly affluent metropolitan area.

Well the only two of these that can actually be assessed during the interview process are B and C so I predict your new teammate will be lacking in the A area.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Biowarfare posted:

I don't understand this, mask fit sealing and easily being able to tell whether your shoes were potentially contaminated sounds reasonable for a hospital?

It was circa 1994.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, N95s used to come out even in hospital settings super rarely (like “confirmed active TB only” rarely). And by used to I mean until like last year.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Mormon Nailer posted:

"I need you to come in at 3am to check in this container from Canada."

"I can't, I have plans already on the schedule."

"Oh, can you move them?"

"No, I cannot move my sleep schedule."

I work with lots of overseas people who cannot comprehend that other time zones exist or how to look up what time it is in X country.

I get meeting requests for 1am-6am my local timezone after I explicitly state it to them i am not available after a set time and they are confused when I decline these meetings. Then they try to get pushy and haggle to get a time slot that is still during their work hours. Good luck with that, I'll be in bed giving zero fucks.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I love my boss being like "man why can't we hire anybody" when the market is labor friendly and people can just go to our competitor and make more money. I just got a major certification in my field, so I put in an application and resume today with the competitor. I like working with my current company but if they don't come back with...well within the same range as our competitor, baaaaaaaai.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Crackbone posted:

I started working at a company in 2003 that had been in business since 1992. They had 7 big customers that paid enough to keep the 5-6 employees paid. When I started I thought I was getting in on the ground floor of something big but it turns out the owner of the company didn't have the business smarts to grow the business. That's why they only had 7 customers after 11 years. The owner was a mathematical genius and I don't say that lightly, the guy was brilliant when it came to algorithms and the math behind them but he had a little Dunning-Kruger when it came to how to run the business, he thought he knew what he was doing but it turns out he really didn't.

When I left the company we had moved up to 21 customers by brute force but I think we could have actually had more if the owner would have just hired a business manager who know what they were doing.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I just left a job serving coffee at a hospital, partially because everyone in the department was anti-vaxxers.

When I applied like a month ago, they mentioned in the interview that I'd have to get blood drawn, a physical, and a drug test. The hiring lady had said the blood test was to see if I was up to date on vaccinations like Hepatitis and poo poo. Following that conversation naturally, I asked about covid. I said I already had the vaccine anyway so I was curious if I should bring my card on my first day. The lady audibly laughed and said "Oh no thank GOD that's not a requirement!" This comment made me kind of squint like "Uh huh..." but I didn't think much of it going forward.

During HR orientation, the lovely powerpoint presentation mentions that you CAN refuse to get the vaccine, but you'll be on some last strike type probation and aren't eligible for raises or promotions. This would take effect in November so they have plenty of time anyway.

The baristas still bitched every day about needing to get vaxxed and how they probably still wouldn't anyway. In a hospital... serving hundreds of nurses, doctors, visitors, patients, etc.

(Of course, you better believe I wasn't actually employed BY the hospital either. They use some bullshit contractor for all their service jobs because it's cheaper and the benefits are worse.)

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I heard from an old coworker that the person my boss shoved into my position when I left due to WFH being rescinded for the whole dept is quitting because she doesn't want to get the vaccine, and HER boss is asking her why she needs two leads anyhow. This is funny to me for two reasons:

1. My boss was super excited when we hired this person because she agreed to get certified in the organization boss was president of, and thought she could somehow take over all of the stuff I was doing.

2. The fact her boss is asking her why she needs 2 leads tells me she couldn't get past HR to put her in the analyst position, which she had converted a lead position into for the purposes of me basically doing 80% of her job in addition to my own.

Also before I left (6/2020) I set up the line count reporting spreadsheets for the chart auditing through the end of 2021 as a courtesy. Boss refused to make time to learn how to do it.

She's made a lot of noise about how she engineered the whole process.

tick tock :unsmigghh:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Grimdude posted:

I just left a job serving coffee at a hospital, partially because everyone in the department was anti-vaxxers.

When I applied like a month ago, they mentioned in the interview that I'd have to get blood drawn, a physical, and a drug test. The hiring lady had said the blood test was to see if I was up to date on vaccinations like Hepatitis and poo poo. Following that conversation naturally, I asked about covid. I said I already had the vaccine anyway so I was curious if I should bring my card on my first day. The lady audibly laughed and said "Oh no thank GOD that's not a requirement!" This comment made me kind of squint like "Uh huh..." but I didn't think much of it going forward.

During HR orientation, the lovely powerpoint presentation mentions that you CAN refuse to get the vaccine, but you'll be on some last strike type probation and aren't eligible for raises or promotions. This would take effect in November so they have plenty of time anyway.

The baristas still bitched every day about needing to get vaxxed and how they probably still wouldn't anyway. In a hospital... serving hundreds of nurses, doctors, visitors, patients, etc.

(Of course, you better believe I wasn't actually employed BY the hospital either. They use some bullshit contractor for all their service jobs because it's cheaper and the benefits are worse.)

I'm not surprised by this at all. Everyday the local news is covering nurses protesting outside of their hospitals on a daily basis because the local hospital networks are putting vaccine mandates in place. One even pushed back the date. You know, because the people who got first dibs on the vaccine need even more time to (not) get it. They're whining that they were the heroes doing work without PPE and now we vilify them. Get hosed, chuds.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Pyrtanis posted:

I heard from an old coworker that the person my boss shoved into my position when I left due to WFH being rescinded for the whole dept is quitting because she doesn't want to get the vaccine, and HER boss is asking her why she needs two leads anyhow. This is funny to me for two reasons:

1. My boss was super excited when we hired this person because she agreed to get certified in the organization boss was president of, and thought she could somehow take over all of the stuff I was doing.

2. The fact her boss is asking her why she needs 2 leads tells me she couldn't get past HR to put her in the analyst position, which she had converted a lead position into for the purposes of me basically doing 80% of her job in addition to my own.

Also before I left (6/2020) I set up the line count reporting spreadsheets for the chart auditing through the end of 2021 as a courtesy. Boss refused to make time to learn how to do it.

She's made a lot of noise about how she engineered the whole process.

tick tock :unsmigghh:

Make sure to share the schadenfreude with us when it happens.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, N95s used to come out even in hospital settings super rarely (like “confirmed active TB only” rarely). And by used to I mean until like last year.

Which is why the emergency stockpiles many hospitals carried was "well we can just order it from China if we really need it," a thing I still think guillotines (or any punishment whatsoever) should have been an appropriate punishment for.

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm not surprised by this at all. Everyday the local news is covering nurses protesting outside of their hospitals on a daily basis because the local hospital networks are putting vaccine mandates in place. One even pushed back the date. You know, because the people who got first dibs on the vaccine need even more time to (not) get it. They're whining that they were the heroes doing work without PPE and now we vilify them. Get hosed, chuds.

Both they and management can both be assholes, simultaneously!

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

GI_Clutch posted:

You know, because the people who got first dibs on the vaccine need even more time to (not) get it.

While it's ultimately a good thing for more people to get the vaccine, poo poo like this is why it pisses me off to no end that we might actually pay these people as an incentive to go get it finally. They get a nice monetary reward for being reactionary dipshits.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Make sure to share the schadenfreude with us when it happens.

Update! Coworker got back to me, the three other people in the dept that I told boss could probably learn what I did have all left. The sad thing is, when a transcription department loses people like this, the beancounters start making noise about just outsourcing all of it since the current staff can't keep up and wind up outsourcing the overflow to keep up with turnaround time.

Coworker was also asked if she wanted to learn the lead stuff and she refused, haha

I feel bad for the other staff as they are mostly older women who are single and this was their whole career, but the writing was on the wall for quite some time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grimdude posted:

While it's ultimately a good thing for more people to get the vaccine, poo poo like this is why it pisses me off to no end that we might actually pay these people as an incentive to go get it finally. They get a nice monetary reward for being reactionary dipshits.

The money isn't to entice the reactionary dipshits, it's to entice the people who either can't take the time off, or just aren't informed (Facebook horseshit and such) but can still be reached, or just hesitant. The actual anti vaxxers will not get it, period, which is the real problem here.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
We're going to do the right thing! Safety first!

*management quietly urges me to soften a presentation by omitting that they hosed up*

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I applied to one of our competitors, and I've gotten a job offer from them. I know a lot of the people who work there and after some conversation, I've discovered that it might not be all it's suppossed to be.

Benefits:Masssive pay bump

Downsides: Micromanaging, a lot of people are anti-vaxxers and COVID killed someone's kid a week or two ago because of that.

On one hand, like a 14 dollar/hr pay bump. On the other, sheer, rank idiocy. Help me goons. What do I do?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My HR team hosed up my benefits and want me to do the legwork with the insurers to try to get them unfucked. I'm glad we don't share a building with them, because between this and denying me my raise this year, I'd probably say something very unprofessional to them if I saw one of them.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Help me goons. What do I do?

14/hr is pretty fuckin big. I could deal with some bullshit for a year or two for a 25% raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Deki posted:

14/hr is pretty fuckin big. I could deal with some bullshit for a year or two for a 25% raise.

This. Also the listed downsides sound somewhat standard for just about any industry/job in the country. If you're looking for somewhere that won't micromanage you or be loaded with CHUDs, your search is going to run for a long while.