Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

(face of ecstatic glee)
I was raping Frank Herbert! Raping! Like this! (humping the air)
(serious face)
But with love.

Was your post intended to perfectly mimic your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh so I was under the impression that they filmed both parts one and two at the same time and were just waiting to see how Part 1 did before they spent the $$$ to do all the vfx for part 2. But actually they just filmed the first part. Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts? Especially if this one doesn’t do gangbusters because of the 4th wave, WB might cut their losses which would suck.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

GORDON posted:

Was your post intended to perfectly mimic your avatar?

It was unintentional but you've just given me a wonderful idea.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ccs posted:

Huh so I was under the impression that they filmed both parts one and two at the same time and were just waiting to see how Part 1 did before they spent the $$$ to do all the vfx for part 2. But actually they just filmed the first part. Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts? Especially if this one doesn’t do gangbusters because of the 4th wave, WB might cut their losses which would suck.

Yes. A lot of us are assuming the second one will never get made because it’s better to be pleasantly surprised than vice versa.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ccs posted:

But actually they just filmed the first part. Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts?

Sequel appearances are written into the initial contract, or they better be. Studios screw up but that would be a doozy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts?

I mean there's at least two we know for sure won't be back for the sequel so that makes it easier :v:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Roman Reigns posted:

I mean there's at least two we know for sure won't be back for the sequel so that makes it easier :v:

Hell, if uncertain about the future of the series, they may very well reimagine didaho`s fate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hasselblad posted:

Hell, if uncertain about the future of the series, they may very well reimagine didaho`s fate.

The new glossary will describe a Ghola as "an actor that looks like the actor that played this character in the last movie."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Dune Encyclopedia specifically entions that Scytale and many other face dancers are professional actors.

Just sayin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lmao you ain't Nolan my dude

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1428703477136506880

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I will be very mad if we don’t get a part 2 because Denis threw a bunch of tantrums about the sanctity of movie theaters

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I have to admit, I'm still concerned that we're going to end up with half a story that never gets finished. "Should we go for a three-hour runtime and try to get the whole book in there, even if it means truncating or dropping some aspects? I mean, Titanic and Avengers Endgame were three hours long and people sat through those." "Nah, two and half hours max, and we'll leave Paul leading the Fremen against the Harkonnens until part 2. After all, what are the odds that some kind of global emergency will massively affect the potential box-office returns on our $160 million movie?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david_a posted:

I will be very mad if we don’t get a part 2 because Denis threw a bunch of tantrums about the sanctity of movie theaters

It we don't get the second part it was either never in the cards or the pandemic keeps raging.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Tweets gone. What did it say?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As I get older I feel like I'm less and less bothered by art being left incomplete. Honestly it's usually better than being completed badly. Que sera sera, a good adaptation of the first half of dune still adds something to the world. The case to worry about may actually be the movie doing just barely okay enough to make a scaled back half measure version of part 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

deoju posted:

Tweets gone. What did it say?

He was adamant to everyone that screener copies not be sent out and not released online/etc. because people should only ever see the movie in theaters similar to that situation with Tenet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

He was adamant to everyone that screener copies not be sent out and not released online/etc. because people should only ever see the movie in theaters similar to that situation with Tenet.

I mean, that seems like a reasonable expectation. Musical artists often provide critics early access in a controlled environment so that they actually listen to the album on good speakers, without distractions etc. Seems kinda reasonable to expect that a critic would review a movie in its proper context. The early reviews are always breathless hyperbole anyway, who cares?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks.

I don't blame him. I'll see it in the theater for sure.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dune is my most anticipated film of the year but I'm increasingly erring on the side of "not catching the delta variant" and instead watching it at home. Maybe I'll go buy a ticket and then watch it at home though, to support the film.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really want to see this but not enough to risk serious health problems, if that means part 2 never gets made that sucks but oh well

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Maybe Part 2's going to be like part 2 of Atlas Shrugged, where it's made on half the budget and with a totally different and cheaper cast.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm going to the theater, but like a Monday 10 am showing, where it's me and 2 others 10 rows away.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Leto II giving the speech Pacino made at the end of Devils Advocate

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I have to ask those who are worried about covid in a theater:
Do you all work from home?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

One would assume yes, a lot of people work from home these days.

An option for theatre watching would be to head over to the Covid thread in cspam and join elastomer crew.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, although I wouldn't regard it as hypocritical or at all weird to work in an office with the same handful of people every day vs being in a theatre with hundreds of randoms.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm sure being in a theater with few enough people and a good enough respirator is a pretty minor level of risk but I'm just not feeling it. Despite denis tears I'm glad it will be on hbo max, though of course I wish the bean counter stuff behind the scenes was such that he could be happier about it

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

As I get older I feel like I'm less and less bothered by art being left incomplete. Honestly it's usually better than being completed badly. Que sera sera, a good adaptation of the first half of dune still adds something to the world. The case to worry about may actually be the movie doing just barely okay enough to make a scaled back half measure version of part 2

I hope it doesn't turn out like Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, which made money but didn't get finished because of personality conflict with the studio.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Renewed AMC A-List a few months ago. Double-Vaxxed. I'm good.

After a certain point, I feel like you can't worry about breakthrough cases and just let nature take its course. If you're protected and still get it, it's not gonna be much worse than a cold.

If you're not protected, you're an idiot and deserve Darwinism at full effect.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Even if you aren't worried about the effects on yourself, you should worry about the likelihood of spreading it to others and thus helping perpetuate the pandemic. There are 50 million unvaccinated children in America right now, and every additional person who gets infected is another link in a potential transmission chain to a child who'll get long covid or worse.

Then again these are goons, maybe you live alone, work from home, and can quarantine yourself for a week after a potential exposure event like a packed theater.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

bawfuls posted:

Even if you aren't worried about the effects on yourself, you should worry about the likelihood of spreading it to others and thus helping perpetuate the pandemic. There are 50 million unvaccinated children in America right now, and every additional person who gets infected is another link in a potential transmission chain to a child who'll get long covid or worse.

Then again these are goons, maybe you live alone, work from home, and can quarantine yourself for a week after a potential exposure event like a packed theater.

Heads up that even vaccinated people can get the delta variant. My kid got it for this reason; he's doing fine though.

(e: the vaccinated person involved actually got it worse than any of the kids, though she is also doing well).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 21, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm well aware, I had a breakthrough symptomatic case a little over a month ago (I think I mentioned it in this thread at the time). But some people are less convinced by that particular risk.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah my reason for not going to the theatre is the worry I'd spread it around. I have a job where everyone could easily work from home but the executives only had us work remotely for the first two months of the pandemic when this state had its harshest restrictions. But I haven't been anywhere but home, the office, the grocery store, and occasionally my parents' since this thing started.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

bawfuls posted:

One would assume yes, a lot of people work from home these days.

An option for theatre watching would be to head over to the Covid thread in cspam and join elastomer crew.

Can you link me to that thread? Also I’m checking out where to get elastomeric respirators but all I can find online says they’re only being sold to healthcare providers.

Edit: Nevermind, I acquired the info from the gbs covid thread, here’s where to buy the respirators and filters:

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety/respiratory-protection/reusable-respirators-replacement-filters-cartridges/half-mask-respirators

Hasselblad posted:

Yes, and very rarely left the house in the last 16 months. Once the province I’m in starts the vaccine passports I’ll be a bit more comfortable going out and about but cases are rising again.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 21, 2021

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
e. Nevermind, too preachy. Stay safe. What bawfuls said.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 21, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

lmao you ain't Nolan my dude

IDK if you are referring to box office poo poo here but Villeneuve is like fuckin 50 times better than Nolan at literally everything except maybe making a movie that is extremely successful (but even he failed at that)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gonna be starting the book tonight before bedtime.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

I'm going to the theater, but like a Monday 10 am showing, where it's me and 2 others 10 rows away.

I'm planning to do something similar, including waiting till near the end of the theater run, to minimize the other-people-problem

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/Cadigan/status/1429336654683250692

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

My hype for dunc increases with every regional trailer showing a few extra shots.

https://youtu.be/Y7pmVSZIUls