Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I love the glass making section where he watches a video about a reality show of glass makers and the queen is getting frustrated because they are not explaining anything and they try to replicate it with just the basic ideas shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think my favorite part of ideal sponger life is how it hits many of the same tropes less good isekais do, but in very different ways.

MC is surrounded by tons of hot women who want him! Except none of them do so because he's just so cool and special, but because he's a king consort and they're almost all exclusively out for political gain (with the exceptions basically just being a woman who doesn't realize she was sent by her country to be a honey pot and one princess who's just way more into the idea of a husband who's fine with her going off and being a ship captain basically all the time instead)

MC gets a harem! Except he never wanted a harem in the first place and it causes him way more stress because he's happily married and instead worries about what it means for his marriage (if I can be with other women, could my wife be with other men too???). It is explicitly a plot point that it's causing his wife political harm because everyone assumes that she's stopping him from having mistresses/affairs and he has to go out of his way to portraying himself as a weak man who only wants one woman like a weirdo until it's too politically advantageous for his wife to effectively marry him off again.

MC invents new food cultures! Except instead of showing off the inherent superiority of rice and soy sauce he popularizes...basically just potato chips and sweets, and it's pretty much exclusively popular in the royal palace itself because it's too complicated/expensive for anyone else to make. Also I guess distilled liqueur but it's explicitly mentioned to be already be produced elsewhere and is more just not locally popular.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Closest he gets to normal isekai is introducing Arabic numerals! …which are useful but not world changing and mostly mean he gets to help with accounting.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

how do these mothafuckas not know about glass but have metalworking and dinosaur knights drat bro

am i gonna have to look up the history of glassmaking

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fereydun posted:

how do these mothafuckas not know about glass but have metalworking and dinosaur knights drat bro

am i gonna have to look up the history of glassmaking

The difficulty is actually in clear glass, iirc, because clarity and precision roundness of beads are what make it especially valuable to them as enchantable objects, rather than murky translucent windows which they can probably figure out.

E: Real world glass has been around since Mesopotamia but the clear glass we use today is leagues beyond what was in use in most of the world until the 18th century.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Decent glass is harder to make than it seems and was a rare luxury product for most of history. I think it was Rome that developed clear glass and glass blowing and it became one of their major technological trade goods with the rest of the world. Even today the production of glass keeps getting refined. Compare the quality of lenses manufactured in the last 10 years to even the ones manufactured in the 80s and there is a world of difference.

Meanwhile glass marbles themselves weren't invented until the mid 1800s and still would have visible marking where tongs were used to cut the glass from the rolling rod. Modern marbles are made by cutting a slug of glass while it's still mostly molten and then keeping it in continuous motion while it cools. You need steel screws to build machine capable of doing that and that process wasn't invented until the early 1900s. It was really only industrial production that gives you the perfect marble we get today.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Roman clear glass was also still much less clear than modern glass, because using lead oxide to improve clarity wasn’t figured out until much later.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

If you ever want to prepare yourself to get Isekai-ed, there’s a book called The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell which details how to rebuild or bootstrap a post apocalyptic society, and most of the post-medieval tech advice would be applicable to a fantasy world.

But if the world doesn’t have easily accessible healing magic, probably the single biggest contribution you could make is convincing healers to wash their hands.

Being clean if possible was a well known practice going back a long way. But washing your hands can only do so much when all you have is stream water and no soap. People didn't live like storybook peasants covered in mud and pig poo poo. They weren't any less intelligent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, the most useful devices to learn to make are the things you see in, say, Komachi. Labor-saving improvements on farming or mining devices. Things that are possible and will probably get invented on their own within a few decades but which no one has and the time to sit down and figure out yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Introducing the idea of the Pythagorean cup to a new world and leap frogging 300 years of technological advancement to make washing machines in 4 months.

If the world's got mechanical golems or dwarves, they'll crack it basically overnight.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Being clean if possible was a well known practice going back a long way. But washing your hands can only do so much when all you have is stream water and no soap. People didn't live like storybook peasants covered in mud and pig poo poo. They weren't any less intelligent.

He was making a reference to Joseph Lister.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe the peasants were clean, but professional doctors took it as a personal insult that they should wash their hands between meeting different patients.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guyver posted:

He was making a reference to Joseph Lister.

Yeah, and also Ignaz Semmelweis.

I wasn’t at all suggesting that peasants were walking around caked in poo poo or whatever (I don’t know how someone would leap there from “healers should wash their hands”), but there’s a huge difference between “bathes once a day/week using river or well water” and “washes hands with soap after seeing each patient”.

Sure your average peasant may not have always had soap on hand but soap would have been readily available in cities where the infection risk was greatest, and any doctor working in an urban environment would be able to afford it (side note, you can make around 450 bars of soap from the tallow of an average cow, after butchering for meat). Even in a rural environment, if a village has a local healer you’d want to encourage them at least to have a supply of soap and take up the hand washing practice.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, and also Ignaz Semmelweis.

I wasn’t at all suggesting that peasants were walking around caked in poo poo or whatever (I don’t know how someone would leap there from “healers should wash their hands”), but there’s a huge difference between “bathes once a day/week using river or well water” and “washes hands with soap after seeing each patient”.

Sure your average peasant may not have always had soap on hand but soap would have been readily available in cities where the infection risk was greatest, and any doctor working in an urban environment would be able to afford it (side note, you can make around 450 bars of soap from the tallow of an average cow, after butchering for meat). Even in a rural environment, if a village has a local healer you’d want to encourage them at least to have a supply of soap and take up the hand washing practice.

Peasants would have also used ashes and water to clean their hands. The alkali in the ash would have combined with the oils on your skin to create a fairly caustic precursor to soap. It's not real great with diseases, but it does remove dirt and grime at least.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

(Is it Fortune, or is it woe. Newest chapter.)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Wrong way to use healing magic with the start of Rose's backstory. Also a very important announcement at the end.

I think for the first time in a while I'm looking forward to a manga adaptation. If they can nail the visuals and VA I will really enjoy Usato's slow descent into losing his humanity in full on technicolor. :getin:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I just want a decent "useless skill" isekai where like, the skill is actually useless for adventuring. Maybe have him go off and be a farmer or some poo poo instead.

instead it's always either "every adventuring group in the goddamn world is too incompetent to use a clearly great skill" or "whoops his skill is actually great for everything once he figures out how it REALLY works"

I read a story where the strongest water mage in the country had a skill only useful for raising farm animals as his starter skill and said, “nah, I would rather murder fools instead.” And then he did so now everyone is terrified of him. He’s a background NPC so doesn’t show up much.

Pyronic posted:

I Was Dismissed from the Hero’s Party Because They Don’t Need My Training Skills, so I Strengthen My [Fief] Which I Got as a Replacement for My Retirement Money.
That is a hilariously bad title.

M_Gargantua posted:

"I reincarnated in an RPG and dumped all my points into Charisma because I don't like fighting"
That’s a funny way to spell Data Dragon Danika.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 20, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I still want an isekai where the protagonist tries to exploit some nonobvious skill and everyone rolls their eyes because the world already has people who take those skills and try to use them in weird ways so everything the protagonist tries has already been done by some of the billions of people who have been living with this skill system since birth

I Want To Use My Level 10 Gambling Skill To Kill Dragons But Someone Already Tried That And It Didn't Work

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm always reminded of The Wandering Inn, where any kind of dedicated lifestyle can become a class.

The world's first [Goth] was from Earth, the second is a goblin who stumbled into the class trying to dress like a vampire.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1428752699181371401?s=20

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Please, please, PLEASE tell me this will coincide with the LN and Manga getting picked up by a new publisher and continued.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

doomrider7 posted:

Please, please, PLEASE tell me this will coincide with the LN and Manga getting picked up by a new publisher and continued.

Well, the LN got an unexpected digital resurrection announcement this summer, and vol 5 came out as e-book only a couple of weeks ago.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

darkgray posted:

Well, the LN got an unexpected digital resurrection announcement this summer, and vol 5 came out as e-book only a couple of weeks ago.

I recall reading something like that one the authors blog. I think it might have been with a different publisher(From Kadokawa to Kodansha)as well though I'm not certain.

A change in publisher may not be a bad deal either since if that's what happens, Kodansha or Overlap* may be better fits.

* Kodansha publishes the authors other works Bard Roen, Knight of the Frontier and Overlap is responsible for Undead Adventurer and Faraway Paladin, both of which are very similar meaning there are pee-built audiences there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of Wrong way to use healing magic with the start of Rose's backstory. Also a very important announcement at the end.

I think for the first time in a while I'm looking forward to a manga adaptation. If they can nail the visuals and VA I will really enjoy Usato's slow descent into losing his humanity in full on technicolor. :getin:

What is the wrong way to use healing magic? Is it to prevent your body from killing off cancer or something?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is this the "Ideal Sponger Life" series everyone has been talking about? Because that's a borderline NSFW cover: https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Sponger-Life-Light-Novel-ebook/dp/B08P4Z9GBJ

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is the wrong way to use healing magic? Is it to prevent your body from killing off cancer or something?
the wrong way to use healing magic is to exercise to exhaustion and then heal yourself and go again

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

LLSix posted:

Is this the "Ideal Sponger Life" series everyone has been talking about? Because that's a borderline NSFW cover: https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Sponger-Life-Light-Novel-ebook/dp/B08P4Z9GBJ

Yes, it's obviously the comic version of clickbait and doesn't represent the comic at all.

There is a full color NSFW scene in the first issue, and then it's never like that again.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Yes, it's obviously the comic version of clickbait and doesn't represent the comic at all.

There is a full color NSFW scene in the first issue, and then it's never like that again.

I mean, it also sort of is an accurate representation of the opening of the series. He absolutely gets baited in by hot big tiddy queen with the need for seed. It's just that the whole situation is played entirely straight and not as a dumb vanilla power fantasy. It's absolutely a bait and switch, not just on the reader, but also on the main character.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

the wrong way to use healing magic is to exercise to exhaustion and then heal yourself and go again

That sounds like the right way to use healing magic.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

That sounds like the right way to use healing magic.

The title isn't completely serious but it's also true that in the current story there are like 5 healing mages between two countries and only the one of them thought about becoming a literal super(wo)man by repairing their bodies and working out endlessly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

The title isn't completely serious but it's also true that in the current story there are like 5 healing mages between two countries and only the one of them thought about becoming a literal super(wo)man by repairing their bodies and working out endlessly.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard that idea before.

Edit: I kind of wish my players were that clever.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 20, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LLSix posted:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard that idea before.

It's cropped up in Isekai manga to some extent. The idea that warriors can abuse healing magic to keep on training to absurd degrees so either by having someone cast it on them or by multi-classing into magic proficiency. Still not super common from what I've seen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's literally a major plot point of Dragonball Z (and maybe Dragonball? I can't remember) where Saiyns will work themselves to near death and take a senzu bean to recover and continue training. They specifically also benefit from this not only because they get to train more, but also because their species sees large ability growth after recovering from a nearly deadly fight.

So not really a new idea.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wrong Way has what is I think the best title drop I’ve ever seen in a manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wrong way also has the distinction of being the only healer wn adaptation that isn't completely loving awful.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wrong way also has the distinction of being the only healer wn adaptation that isn't completely loving awful.

idk if its a wn adaption but there's the manga with the guy who was just a huge MMO nerd healer-main in a game like FF14 and the world he's isekai'd into only uses healers to rez and relies on suicide tactics and no tanks. He 'invents' the tank/dps/healer triangle and a bunch of other common MMO healer skills.

EDIT: its called "Live Dungeon!" as they have magic that basically live streams guilds attempts to clear dungeon floors and bosses.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 20, 2021

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you really want the wrong way to use healing Rencarnated as a Sword is where it's at.

Like every book Fran captures some poor rear end in a top hat and starts hacking limbs off then regrowing them to get information.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Not exactly an isekai but adjacent to it, Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess has a wonderful use of "support magic" by the otome game's main character:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pyronic posted:

idk if its a wn adaption but there's the manga with the guy who was just a huge MMO nerd healer-main in a game like FF14 and the world he's isekai'd into only uses healers to rez and relies on suicide tactics and no tanks. He 'invents' the tank/dps/healer triangle and a bunch of other common MMO healer skills.

EDIT: its called "Live Dungeon!" as they have magic that basically live streams guilds attempts to clear dungeon floors and bosses.

I've read this one and found it insufferable how it treats something as simple as "healers stay in the back and provide heals and buffs" or "tanks use aggro and take the hits" as something groundbreaking that the MC created and deserve to be worshiped for. The setting points out that the world's people have been going into the dungeon for centuries and treat it as a sport, yet somehow no one has thought to come up with basic strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
While we're on healer chat, can anyone help me find a manga I've been looking for? Can't remember if the MC was isekai'd or just kicked out of his party, but I do remember him getting a job at an adventurer's guild and there being a Mystery Substance X that he had to keep drinking in order to train effectively or whatever. Last I remember, he was clearing out a labyrinth under a cathedral and bringing back boss items to show to the pope.