Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

a-10 is fuckin rad. Oops! All Gun!

so much gun it has enough recoil to produce noticeable reverse thrust

also the plane can basically be missing two thirds of its components and still successfully land. absolute miracle of engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

the a10 is cool both on its own merits and as the extremely rare example of good government procurement. both of these are reasons behind the airforce's push to retire it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the a10 is cool both on its own merits and as the extremely rare example of good government procurement. both of these are reasons behind the airforce's push to retire it.

the recent modernization effort is estimated to keep it in service past 2040 and the procurement high ups who get kickbacks from the MIC for loving with the numbers haaaaate that plane so much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

the recent modernization effort is estimated to keep it in service past 2040 and the procurement high ups who get kickbacks from the MIC for loving with the numbers haaaaate that plane so much

the troops on the ground also apparently love the a-10 because it just gets poo poo done. high operational readiness and reliability, so it can just loiter on station for hours and shoot tv-guided missiles at anyone who pops up

Jonny 290 posted:

when trying to implement a 30mm aircraft autocannon, the russians simply used an external gun pod.

it didn't go very well:

quote:

The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200-meter radius from the impact center, including the aircraft firing.[4]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apparently the adrenaline rush of seeing a bunch of poo poo explode near you followed a couple seconds later by that wonderful echoing BRRRRRRRRRRRT is indescribable

when the climate wars kick off and the US forces Canada to institute a draft for males age 18-34 I hope I get to experience that before I get turned into mist by a JDAM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm literally charging my drone because of this chat lol

gonna fly a bit this afternoon, conditions are perfect

protip: buying one of the adapters that clamps in the stock DJI controller and holds a full size ipad changes everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

not on-prem, i know it's cloud stuff, i just figured they had their own cloud infrastructure that gave them a competitive advantage. from what i've read so far, it sounds like the main advantage is the network effect. i can share datasets on bigquery too, but if my customers don't use gcp then that's no good

i don’t think it’s any better than that for sharing. snowflake has like separate aws and gcp clusters and afaik you cannot even share between the two, possibly even between internal regions like gcp-us with gcp-eu

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre gettin rid of the a10 because you need complete air supremacy to use it. rando w a manpad can blow it up easy, 0 chance against an a2a missile, that sorta thing. does great against bullets tho i guess

which, they had air supremacy in afghanistan but prolly not gonna have in the south china sea

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 20, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

boy do i love having loving autism

we're getting rid of the wallpaper in the living room because its starting to peel n poo poo and of COURSE ive got really loving attached to that wallpaper because i get attached to literally everything it turns out
i dont like change and its loving me up it's been that wallpaper my entire life

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theyre gettin rid of the a10 because you need complete air supremacy to use it. rando w a manpad can blow it up easy, 0 chance against an a2a missile, that sorta thing. does great against bullets tho i guess

which, they had air supremacy in afghanistan but prolly not gonna have in the south china sea

the good news is you can land an A-10 with one wing, one engine, no hydraulics, and half the fuselage riddled with shrapnel

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

hbag posted:

we're getting rid of the wallpaper in the living room because its starting to peel n poo poo and of COURSE ive got really loving attached to that wallpaper because i get attached to literally everything it turns out
i dont like change and its loving me up it's been that wallpaper my entire life

Save a square of it and put it in a portrait so you can hang it on the wall.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Video Nasty posted:

Save a square of it and put it in a portrait so you can hang it on the wall.

this is pretty charming i like it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when my mom was a little girl, they decided to re-panel the whole house and let the kids go nuts with crayons and paint on the walls before they put the new stuff up

This is one of the reasons i'm trying to buy that house. its like 35k lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

protip: buying one of the adapters that clamps in the stock DJI controller and holds a full size ipad changes everything

linku pls

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

why do i care this much about wallpaper

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

somethin like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the one i got is very nicely CNC'd and tolerances are tight and man its so much nicer to fly with a big screen

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

somethin like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the one i got is very nicely CNC'd and tolerances are tight and man its so much nicer to fly with a big screen

ah drat won't take my giantPad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

lol yeah i loving love it. you could replace all of our attack craft with loads of cheap drones and probably come out ahead but that would be way too cost effective and flexible to ever get approved.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

lol yeah i loving love it. you could replace all of our attack craft with loads of cheap drones and probably come out ahead but that would be way too cost effective and flexible to ever get approved.

i think the plan is to have both because theres budget for both

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tomorrow vacation proper starts. it’s hosed up that everyone doesn’t get all of august off

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hbag posted:

i have no idea where the SSL certs are on the SDF metaarray

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

bump_fn posted:

tomorrow vacation proper starts. it’s hosed up that everyone doesn’t get all of august off

I don't get ANY of August off. How's that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Video Nasty posted:

that doesn’t sound too european

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Video Nasty posted:

people who have to work all summer should get at least two months off as compensation

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've been getting off practically every other day this August!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

CPColin posted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CPColin posted:

More like Can't See Colin

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think the plan is to have both because theres budget for both

first rule in government spending

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CPColin posted:

cjs: I've been getting off practically every other day

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

funemployment ends this weekend, :rip:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i keep thinking about the wallpaper and getting upset about it
its been there my entire life and now a huge chunk of it's gone and the rest is going soon too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i moved 9 times before the end of high school

you should go and move places and poo poo hbag its good for your worldview

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnG04qnLqI

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

c dating s: got stood up last night. this poo poo sucks. i need to accept that this isn’t for me

have you tried being married, op?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
happy friday night yospos!!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

similarly the world seemed a bit cooler while the concorde was in service, obviously better that it is gone for numerous reasons, but having billionaires going to space on custom craft while it is not even in principle possible to cross the atlantic supersonically is kind of sad.

concorde was a badass fuckin' plane. even by modern fighter jet standards it was fast as gently caress.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

back in the days of PoF dating I had a dinner date set up and the lady came in, looked at me, said "you're short" and left without another word.

You win some you lose some, I guess.

i had an online dating thing similar. she met me, said “you’re shorter than i expected.” and i said “you can leave right now if you want” and she thought for a few seconds and said it was ok. then we hit it off and had sex irl.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

More like Can't See Colin

The prescription in my contacts is up to -5.75, so yes. (I should probably get an SO.)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have been thwarted in my quest to make an IRC bot by the fact that libera needs some weird extra authentication poo poo and i have no idea how to give it to them

if anyone cares to help out im writing it in python 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
first google search result for irc tls python: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61931866/how-can-i-configure-ssl-for-an-irc-bot-in-python