Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

There's a cooldown yeah. But giving Cripps legendary carcasses nets a half bar of materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Seems more lucrative to turn in legendary carcasses to get your Trader role going a bit before focusing on Naturalist IMO. But I am probably wrong about this, I'm still only like level 32.

I honestly just don't like hunting because I'm not great at it, especially when you have to tranq the legendary dudes like 100 times.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Protocol7 posted:

Seems more lucrative to turn in legendary carcasses to get your Trader role going a bit before focusing on Naturalist IMO. But I am probably wrong about this, I'm still only like level 32.

I honestly just don't like hunting because I'm not great at it, especially when you have to tranq the legendary dudes like 100 times.

Are you playing on PC? Do you have a controller? The game will switch between KB+M / Controller instantly, and I use both, but sometimes I'll specifically switch to a controller for the aim assist like if im trying to bag lots of deer in a herd while chasing on my horse.

NOTE: aim assist doesnt work on legendary animals

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't really play anything on my PC that benefits from a controller except in some niche instances so I'm probably not gonna bother with that personally. Would rather just focus on stuff I find more engaging like CTA and bounty hunting.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Deadeye also doesn't work on Legendaries, but as long as the critter isn't in your face trying to murder you, you can just keep plinking away. Predators, you blast/dodge/blast some more/get killed/respawn/reacquire/repeat. They *will* cut'n'run once they get enough hits, and that's when you horse up and give chase, while shooting.

Once you get a red hitmarker ("x"), they're tranked, and will eventually fall over. Chase away.

If you can get out of reach (I love boulders), magdump away until they run.

If they're not hostile, horse and chase - get close and pop shots, get 'em dosed and extract their Purity of Essense when downed.

If you don't need or want samples, the above, but with real bullets. You get the same corpse/pelt no matter how many shots they take, so go ahead and use that Elephant Gun on the beaver. (Fire and explosives do gently caress it up, though. Don't think poison arrows work at all.)

Just took down the Tatanka by Heartland Outwash last night, seven rounds of Nitro Express but two were clean misses.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
murdering legendary animals gets you pretty hats and grisly fuel for your trader empire, saving them gets you jackshit

really makes you think

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

murdering legendary animals gets you pretty hats and grisly fuel for your trader empire, saving them gets you jackshit

really makes you think

Cripps: "Did I ever tell you the story about how one summer a friend and I accidentally invented capitalism?"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

"It was me, Limpy Pete, and Phil the Crab..."

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm looking to play the single player on PC. I really loved it on PS4 but want to make it a more streamlined experience. What are the best mods to just kinda... chill out and have fun in the west?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm looking to play the single player on PC. I really loved it on PS4 but want to make it a more streamlined experience. What are the best mods to just kinda... chill out and have fun in the west?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aj2Pt5vWT8

(for real though, mods that let you collect animal pelts and pick up items instantly make such a huge difference in SP)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I got a 100% save on PS4 when it first came out. When it released on PC I just grabbed a trainer and played the game normally, but really slowly to just soak it in. Whenever I bumped into something I didn't want to bother grinding again I'd just use the trainer to pop it into the world or give myself the thing. Also use it to give myself whatever makes it to RDO.

Campaign is so good I felt like that was enough. Though saying that if I knew about the auto skinning mods I'd have grabbed those too.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm replaying for the 4th time because of the DLSS update, and drat Each time I see new camp interactions, but holy poo poo, I'm only in the first 3 missions of chapter 2 and I've seen at least 10 new things, each of them impactful and with a direct tie into a backstory, or active story element. And in the past, I wasn't ignoring the camp at all!

E: One of my favorites was playing low-stakes poker during a storm at camp, and sweeping the table. John made a quip about Arthur always being the lucky one and I laughed for a solid minute.

It feels dumb and hyperbolic to say, but I really think this game truly rivals the best art of any medium.

E: Maybe part of it is also the new fluidity while maintaining nearly maxed graphics? Keeping 60+ at Ultra settings with a AA implementation that is better than the TAA it shipped with is a game-changer. I'm seeing rabbits from half a field away. They never even heard the horse running.

E3: Just had another awesome "new to me" interaction. Keiran came up and thanked Arthur for sparing him, and Arthur thanked him for saving him. I don't think I've touched 1/4 of the camp content before.

Does this continue into later chapters? When do things start to get a little more "interesting"?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 22, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Sorry if this is on every other page but I haven’t checked in here since 11/2018

For whatever reason I hadn’t been interested in rdr online until now. I’m assuming there’s some kind of goon posse to sign up with? Wasn’t in the OP

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

posse's can only be like 7 people max so they don't really work like that

the last few pages had a few people posting their usernames looking for people to play with though

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks I’ll add a few of you guys on PS4

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cool that :rockstar: added the cartridge wraps and all, but even cooler would be if they fixed the bug that's been around for over a year where it always defaults to the same colour. Why even spend time making the assets if you're not going to implement them properly? They even made a video showcasing them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Cool that :rockstar: added the cartridge wraps and all, but even cooler would be if they fixed the bug that's been around for over a year where it always defaults to the same colour. Why even spend time making the assets if you're not going to implement them properly? They even made a video showcasing them.

Don’t worry, they apparently implemented a new bug that makes the collector role dig spots not work

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its called future content sweaty look it up

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

rotinaj posted:

Don’t worry, they apparently implemented a new bug that makes the collector role dig spots not work

They still have good ol' "press dig key, immediately start walking in random direction and no, you can't stop, change direction, or do anything except disconnect" bug, so there's that.

Someone had a learnin' experience the other night. They did *not* of offensive, but kept popping carbine shots at me until I got annoyed.

At close range.

With dual Navies.

When they respawned, the immediately called parley. :v:

I just kept wandering around with my bow, killing in the name of daily.

And last night, I was up Colter way killing hunting fossils, and the Marble Fox decided to spawn. And was agile enough that I kept missing him with the rifle, so I switched to vehicular horseticular homicide. Cripps will be happy no matter what...

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Anyone have any experience with running macros in this sort of game?.

There's things you do a million times, chiefly calling and dismissing the hunter wagon, that I'd like to automate with a button press instead of the 26 step process of navigating the clunky side menu.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ygolonac posted:

horseticular

I think they fixed that bug.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

And last night, I was up Colter way killing hunting fossils, and the Marble Fox decided to spawn. And was agile enough that I kept missing him with the rifle, so I switched to vehicular horseticular homicide. Cripps will be happy no matter what...

oh poo poo that's an option? i can never hit that little bastard

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

oh poo poo that's an option? i can never hit that little bastard

Keep the horse at high speed, foxie gets slowed down a bit in the snow, especially when doing high-gee evasive turns. Wasn't actually *trying* to stomp it, it just happened.

You will likely have more of an issue dodging aggro'd deer and wolf packs.

Could be worse - had to chase whatever Legendary elk it is from Colter, all the way down to the train tracks, and then along the tracks to the east side of Cotorra Springs, because I needed a photo before killing it, and my dumbass horse wasn't coming when called. Get close enough to see it, get out the cam gently caress it's running again! Repeat across the half the northern map...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Is there a way to reset difficulties on legendary bounties? I've got some friends new to the game and four and five star difficulties are just fuckin mean to them

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to reset difficulties on legendary bounties? I've got some friends new to the game and four and five star difficulties are just fuckin mean to them

Nope. The person with the lowest level at the current Legendary Bounty needs to initiate the mission in order to set the difficulty. It's a very bad system.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just don't understand why the person can't choose the difficulty and get a payout that is different, based on the difficulty

Oh, :rockstar:, that's why

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it's incredibly annoying. Sometimes you just want a chill fun mission but once you hit 4 or 5 stars there's no going back.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok google is failing me here. I want to start up moonshining. I met with Maggie. Had to step away and missed the cutscene, scene over and I have no idea what I need to do to actually start. I don’t see any icon on the map related to moonshine to travel to. Anyone remember the next step?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

iirc you have to actually buy your moonshine shack, possibly from the online menu under camps and properties?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Repo Man posted:

Nope. The person with the lowest level at the current Legendary Bounty needs to initiate the mission in order to set the difficulty. It's a very bad system.

That's a big yeenaw alright

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

iirc you have to actually buy your moonshine shack, possibly from the online menu under camps and properties?

That was it thank you.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Still want them to add more faithful representations of native garb, since some people like myself enjoy repping our heritage that way. I make do with what they give us, but ultimately it's lacking.

And yes, I know very well that by 1898, many, many indigenous peoples (those left alive, anyway) wore western clothing and had been greatly assimilated, already, but regardless. I know they can do it, I played the single player and saw for myself.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Still want them to add more faithful representations of native garb, since some people like myself enjoy repping our heritage that way. I make do with what they give us, but ultimately it's lacking.

And yes, I know very well that by 1898, many, many indigenous peoples (those left alive, anyway) wore western clothing and had been greatly assimilated, already, but regardless. I know they can do it, I played the single player and saw for myself.

That would be cool. I worry that rockstar would make a hash of it, treating a Native American RDO expansion like a joke, but it would be super cool for them to even just add in outfits from singleplayer.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'd be happy if they introduced these shirts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there an actual scripted heist in the new Blood Money activities or is everything done in freeroam? I was intrigued because I heard about the new stuff but if all of the activities are in freeroam subject to griefing then eh.. I had enough of that poo poo in GTA:O. I've been looking for some poo poo to do with a friend of mine in this game but a real heist might be the only thing to bring him back.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
You can activate the bigger jobs at the BM-marked questgivers, if you can afford it. ("That requires Capitale. Do you have some?") All the freeroam stuff is just ways to make C, if you don't get it from the Outlaw Passes or straight-up buy it for gold at the fence.

I've yet to even try one of the big named jobs, myself. <shrug>

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Is there an actual scripted heist in the new Blood Money activities or is everything done in freeroam? I was intrigued because I heard about the new stuff but if all of the activities are in freeroam subject to griefing then eh.. I had enough of that poo poo in GTA:O. I've been looking for some poo poo to do with a friend of mine in this game but a real heist might be the only thing to bring him back.

I did the first one, the train robbery, and they have infinitely respawning and infinitely aggroed police appearing all around you the entire time you have collected one of the objectives.

Not as in “police will be looking for you”, but as in “police appear constantly 15 to 20 feet away from you and harass you until you get on your horse and ride frantically towards the dot on your map”. It sucks a lot.

I haven’t bothered doing the other ones yet because I still don’t see the point of capitale so far. The robberies for the actual capitale are at least more fun than most of the free roam missions the npcs give you, like retrieve a wagon or piss on a campfire or whatever the gently caress.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

They're fairly simple for "heists", but they're decently fun missions with a few mechanics and set pieces. It's even possible to stealth them if you play it super carefully, but most of the time they're just going to devolve into running gun battles against endlessly spawning lawmen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

rotinaj posted:

I did the first one, the train robbery, and they have infinitely respawning and infinitely aggroed police appearing all around you the entire time you have collected one of the objectives.

Not as in “police will be looking for you”, but as in “police appear constantly 15 to 20 feet away from you and harass you until you get on your horse and ride frantically towards the dot on your map”. It sucks a lot.

I haven’t bothered doing the other ones yet because I still don’t see the point of capitale so far. The robberies for the actual capitale are at least more fun than most of the free roam missions the npcs give you, like retrieve a wagon or piss on a campfire or whatever the gently caress.

Yeah I just started doing the robberies and those seem pretty fun for quick activities but that sucks to hear about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Another Bill posted:

I'd be happy if they introduced these shirts.

This is great because I saw a guy with a picture of Reagan that said "my heroes have always been cowboys" tshirt