Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Coaaab posted:

Judging by the timeline, it looks like Punk was convinced around the time of the 2020 Revolution PPV, which is frankly astonishing considering Dynamite had only been on for a few months at this point

The buildup to Revolution was amazing, that did help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1428928413541167104?s=21

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the loving god of this poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1428929599648407553?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay gently caress it I'm gonna get sappy for a second. Don't blink.

CM Punk in a roundabout way is one of the guys (along with Bryan) that got me into wrestling. They were both already retired at the time but going back and seeing their work made me see what this art form was capable of at the absolute best and it made me fall in love with it. And I've always wanted to see Punk come back even as it became increasingly clear that was never gonna happen. And in the last year, I've had some. Pretty poo poo times (I'm okay now). But even when I felt at my most depressed and rejected and unwanted by this country and this world and the people around me and just absolutely crushed by this pandemic, this fuckin' wrestling company, AEW, was something that was always there for me, every Wednesday, just to give me some stability and all of you fuckers have been there for me too, even when we were getting into slap fights about Naito and Kenta.

And this guy. This guy struck the chord that created the spirit that would form the movement that made AEW a possibility. I completely and fully believe that if this pissed off guy doesn't sit cross legged on that ramp and rant about all the poo poo that his stupid loving bosses are doing that pisses him off, we don't ever get here. WWE stole him from us, but he's finally back. He's the patron saint of AEW and he's finally home.

God dammit. I love professional wrestling and I love all of you.

Also, Bryan next month! That'll be cool.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

thank you big biceps tony i love you

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

For real though just close your eyes for a sec.

Now imagine pandemic wrestling without AEW.

Yeah, it's scary, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1428908147213848585?s=20

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

my wife isn't into wrestling and had laid down before the show but came out when the show started to watch with me. She watches Dynamite and Rampage with me because she said she likes seeing me so happy

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pinwiz11 posted:

How did the other matches play on TV? After Punk I was fairly exhausted.
Crowd seemed pretty deflated but they still sounded like they were enjoying the show. In any case, having Punk come out first just to get it out of the way was the right move.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 21, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Not gonna lie. Barely really knew CM Punk except in passing before getting into AEW at the start and watching tonight live on stream is going to have me smiling all loving night. What a moment.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

video jeff you carry yourself like a true wrestling fan veteran. i hope this is received well

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Soawax_/status/1428912595852013568

Make it happen AEW

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

This triggered my covid anxiety but goddamn was it magical.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Crowd seemed pretty deflated but they still sounded like they were enjoying the show. I any case, having Punk come out first just to get it out of the way was the right move.

After a long-rear end Dark taping, which we were pretty gassed by the end of and then Punk, it's amazing anyone in the arena could even focus much less make noise.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

kidcoelacanth posted:

tony actually begged punk to come back because he just wanted to do the ice cream bar bit

i got the pipebomb callback pop but i dont get the ice cream ref

Dango Bango posted:

Shows exactly why he's here. He's not lying when he says he came back for the young crew in the locker room.

this was so, so good. and putting britt over. the whole 20m promo you could see a man healing in real time

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder how many I WAS THERE shirts they printed up for tonight.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just got home.

OMG.

As I said, I wasn't following wrestling during CM Punk's original runs so I just know the name and the stories and enough to know what he's talking about during the promo.

But,

I know when something big was happening and that entire speech was golden. I'm so glad I went, I'm so glad I could be in the building, I'm so glad I got ice cream... AEW is amazing!

--

How did the other matches play on TV? After Punk I was fairly exhausted.

crowd was DEAD for the main.

still invested, just exhausted.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
As part of one of his pipebombs back in WWE, he called out that they used to make ice cream bars with the images of WWF(then) superstars on it, and wondered why he didn't have an ice cream bar, which led to a lengthy "WE WANT ICE CREAM" chant.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

My gut says three years and also my gut says who the eff cares!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Silly Burrito posted:

Not enough by a long shot, they sold out with multiple, massive lines waiting for them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1428931399051005955

I had sudden flashbacks to Sting v Seth Rollins and remembering Punk is even sloppier

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Casshooole/status/1428930290383269892?s=20

those names. Oh yes, oh gently caress yes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jonny Nox posted:

crowd was DEAD for the main.

still invested, just exhausted.

Yeah I think Mox and Garcia were there too. They didn't phone it in but it was pretty clear that they were like "okay, everybody's just about done here, let's take it to the barn."

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
That was amazing. Watching Punk’s face during his entrance and if he had any doubts about returning you could see them being erased in real time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

njsykora posted:

Help it's been over an hour and I'm still wired as gently caress from the show and can't sleep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Silly Burrito posted:

Colt: I dunno Mr. Khan, I've been in the t-shirt business a long time and I think printing 4.5 billion shirts is too mu-
Tony Khan: DO AS YOU'RE TOLD!
all shirts sell out in 10 minutes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm gonna be at Dynamite on Wednesday and I'm so loving hyped.

I think my 12 year old son is starting to get into wrestling, and he was in tears during Punks entrance. He didn't really know much about Punk but knew that tonight was a big loving deal.

I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with him and show him how amazing this sport can be.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

was just thinking about how Punk might be exactly the type of guy who could reach Hangman and notice his name absent here...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

njsykora posted:

Help it's been over an hour and I'm still wired as gently caress from the show and can't sleep.

i'm staying up to watch it on west coast with a friend who missed the show

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1428932113106042888

lol maybe not seeing Punk in New Japan.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1428932447845060616

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

I'm sure it's been said several times today but doesn't AJ Lee have a similar injury to Paige where it's literally too dangerous for her to even try wrestling again?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

he probably has a loving lot on his list before he even gets to new japan, but that certainly doesn't stop aew from setting up a match vs kenta or something

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That was amazing. Watching Punk’s face during his entrance and if he had any doubts about returning you could see them being erased in real time.

it was fantastic just seeing how happy he was

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Guy's Rampage was insane live.

I also can't believe Stone Cold came back!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/1428931287738318858

Feels like a lot of the old guard is doing this in AEW. Building the new generation. No, not THAT one.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smarxist posted:

was just thinking about how Punk might be exactly the type of guy who could reach Hangman and notice his name absent here...

Punk is gonna feud with Hangman.

It's gonna be a Hangman written feud though so it will be more subtle than Straight-edge guy mocks problem drinker.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
https://twitter.com/andycomplains/status/1428932728221839364

Yes he does, Butch.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

smarxist posted:

After his program with Darby is wrapped, you need to have Punk vs MJF immediately. The promos ALONE would be worth the price of a ticket.