Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe once Aaron Rodgers retires he can move onto Jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1428720239961952258?s=20

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He defended bean dad on twitter or something, but I don't think he made a slanty eye tweet.

He does a podcast with Bean Dad (Omnibus) and tbh that whole debacle does sound like the kind of joke he’d say on the show. Still haven’t brought myself to listen to a single episode since, though.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 20, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't care much about Jennings in particular, I just felt there's a difference between saying bad things on twitter and being the defendant in a class action lawsuit over sexual harassment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PeterCat posted:

I don't see what's racist about that.

The "joke" relies on the idea that Asians have "weird eyes" and thus Ken would get confused.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think I’d like to see Joel McHale as the host just to channel Trebek’s ability to openly mock guests

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Worth pointing out the wording on this implies that while no longer host he is still executive producer or whatever his role was, a role that, on the whole, has more power to harass and abuse people than host, and nicely in the shadows. In fact, it was the role he was in on The Price is Right.

Edit: Yes, he's explicitly remaining as the person in charge.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-fired-1235045394/

quote:

But the studio also voiced support for him remaining in his role as executive producer. A new round of guest hosts will be tapped to tape episodes to launch the show’s 38th year in syndication next month. Richards began his first day of taping as permanent host on Aug. 19, which turned out to be his last day in the role.

“Mike has been with us for the last two years and has led the ‘Jeopardy!’ team through the most challenging time the show has ever experienced. It is our hope that as EP he will continue to do so with professionalism and respect,” Sony said

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 20, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
What the hell is up with companies continuing to support people like this. It’s just bad business - this guy brought down a ton of bad PR and tarnished a flagship program permanently in a lot of people’s eyes (though I realize that most people don’t know or don’t care about all this). Like, what’s with the loyalty to this mediocre dude?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I assume 90% of the decision makers at these companies are just as lovely and know if they were in his place they'd want support so they give it to shitters like him so they know they'll have it if their dirty laundry is ever aired out.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah that’s probably it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, they're more angry at him for getting caught than anything he actually did.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's also people just defending their own lovely culture. Believe it or not, sometimes maintaining the boys club is more important to these people than even money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

What the hell is up with companies continuing to support people like this. It’s just bad business - this guy brought down a ton of bad PR and tarnished a flagship program permanently in a lot of people’s eyes (though I realize that most people don’t know or don’t care about all this). Like, what’s with the loyalty to this mediocre dude?

The wildest part is he's only been an executive producer for just over a year this isn't some guy who's been in power for ages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The wildest part is he's only been an executive producer for just over a year this isn't some guy who's been in power for ages.

Yeah, when I first heard the EP was gonna be host I thought it was weird, but didn't think too much because I assumed he'd been EP for like a decade or something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rich people are really, really good at solidarity, which is a big part of why we usually lose tbh

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

PeterCat posted:

I’m sorry us yellows have “weird eyes.”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

edogawa rando posted:

Jerry Seinfeld and a bee. Wait which one is a dangerous insect and which one is just an rear end in a top hat?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jerry Seinfeld and a bee. Wait which one is a dangerous insect and which one is just an rear end in a top hat?

One produces something useful and one made a sitcom.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skwirl posted:

He defended bean dad on twitter or something, but I don't think he made a slanty eye tweet. Also, and this is a pretty noticeable difference, he's never been sued for rampant sexual discrimination and harassment while being in charge of a gameshow.

AceOfFlames posted:

He does a podcast with Bean Dad (Omnibus) and tbh that whole debacle does sound like the kind of joke he’d say on the show. Still haven’t brought myself to listen to a single episode since, though.

Supposedly the tweet that got Jennings booted from consideration was the one where he said that Roderick/Bean Dad wasn’t an antisemite, and that Bean Dad was always “the pro-Israel one on the show”

Which TBF, John Roderick is Jewish and once described himself as a “mild Zionist” on Friendly Fire, the MaxFun podcast he got booted from/shut down.

Not defending Ken Jennings’ lovely tweets, but it’d be funny if he got scrubbed because he’s too vocally pro-Palestine for Mayim Biyalik instead of for his racist jokes

PeterCat posted:

One produces something useful and one made a sitcom.

“don’t mind me, I certainly didn’t do the weird racism a page ago that started this line of conversation”

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Supposedly the tweet that got Jennings booted from consideration was the one where he said that Roderick/Bean Dad wasn’t an antisemite, and that Bean Dad was always “the pro-Israel one on the show”

Which TBF, John Roderick is Jewish and once described himself as a “mild Zionist” on Friendly Fire, the MaxFun podcast he got booted from/shut down.

Not defending Ken Jennings’ lovely tweets, but it’d be funny if he got scrubbed because he’s too vocally pro-Palestine for Mayim Biyalik instead of for his racist jokes

“don’t mind me, I certainly didn’t do the weird racism a page ago that started this line of conversation”

I'm trying to let it go because it's a derail but if you want to keep talking about it we can.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PeterCat posted:

I'm trying to let it go because it's a derail

how very gracious of you, lmao

it’s not really your call to “let it go”. you’re trying to bury it. Call it what it is.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ok Comboomer posted:

how very gracious of you, lmao

it’s not really your call to “let it go”. you’re trying to bury it. Call it what it is.

Call what what what is?

I didn't say anything racist I said I don't see what was racist about Ken Jennings tweet.

And he didn't say Asian people have weird eyes he said Olivia Wilde has weird eyes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Call what what what is?

I didn't say anything racist I said I don't see what was racist about Ken Jennings tweet.

And he didn't say Asian people have weird eyes he said Olivia Wilde has weird eyes.

:allears:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
At a certain strata of executive leadership, it’s exceptionally hard to just shitcan someone without jumping through a lot of hoops or outright criminal convictions.
Often doing so will trigger all kinds of payouts severance, these jobs have complex contracts that are negotiated at length.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PeterCat posted:

Call what what what is?

I strongly suggest you just take the L and stop responding to posts related to the bad thing you said. I get that it was said out of ignorance and not malice, but it absolutely was bad and the reason it was bad is because it was racist. Just accept it and move forward as a better human being who has learned and grown as a person.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PeterCat posted:

by comparing her to Asian people, my dude.

He said “I don’t know which one is Asian and which one merely has weird eyes”

that’s racist

Edit:

edogawa rando posted:

PeterCat posted:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 21, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

At a certain strata of executive leadership, it’s exceptionally hard to just shitcan someone without jumping through a lot of hoops or outright criminal convictions.
Often doing so will trigger all kinds of payouts severance, these jobs have complex contracts that are negotiated at length.

Don't have a source since I just saw it from posted screencaps, but somebody reported scuttlebutt that he managed to embarrass executives at Sony for not catching anything from the podcast. Apparently there were a few awkward meetings. So like always he ended up punished because he managed to kick poo poo uphill. The only interesting thing is whether he's really staying on as EP or if he'll quietly step down in a few months.

For what it's worth Jennings did a James Gunn and has already done a few apologies for his old edgelord tweets and I don't think he's said anything that stood out in a while. Says that he left them up to keep him honest about his old mistakes :shrug:.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Don't have a source since I just saw it from posted screencaps, but somebody reported scuttlebutt that he managed to embarrass executives at Sony for not catching anything from the podcast. Apparently there were a few awkward meetings. So like always he ended up punished because he managed to kick poo poo uphill. The only interesting thing is whether he's really staying on as EP or if he'll quietly step down in a few months.

For what it's worth Jennings did a James Gunn and has already done a few apologies for his old edgelord tweets and I don't think he's said anything that stood out in a while. Says that he left them up to keep him honest about his old mistakes :shrug:.

There’s already a campaign going to make Burton the host, with some big names pushing for it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s already a campaign going to make Burton the host, with some big names pushing for it

I love Levar Burton and I was really hyped about them actually putting him on but I thought he was awkward as the Jeopardy host. I was really surprised how good of a host Aaron Rogers was because before I saw him on there I was baffled that they'd have a sports doer host the show. But I think none of that is relevant because why the gently caress aren't they going with the specific person Alex Trebek himself said he'd like to replace him? I hope they at least give her a guest spot in the upcoming round of guest hosts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I love Levar Burton and I was really hyped about them actually putting him on but I thought he was awkward as the Jeopardy host. I was really surprised how good of a host Aaron Rogers was because before I saw him on there I was baffled that they'd have a sports doer host the show. But I think none of that is relevant because why the gently caress aren't they going with the specific person Alex Trebek himself said he'd like to replace him? I hope they at least give her a guest spot in the upcoming round of guest hosts.

I wonder if Trebek would’ve been allowed to handpick a successor had he lived long enough to retire

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if Trebek would’ve been allowed to handpick a successor had he lived long enough to retire

Probably not. There were several months from the time of his diagnosis to the time he passed and there was plenty of opportunity to let him name a successor in that interval.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

He did recommend someone and they ignored it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PeterCat posted:

Call what what what is?

“Ken Jennings asked if Olivia Munn had “weird eyes” because he thought she looked Asian, a people with weird eyes”

That’s what you don’t think is racist, comparing Asian people to “people with weird eyes”

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder what the response would be if they just made Watson the new host.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zogo posted:

I wonder what the response would be if they just made Watson the new host.

They would have to give Watson a cute anime girl avatar first

make Watson a vocaloid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ok Comboomer posted:

They would have to give Watson a cute anime girl avatar first

make Watson a vocaloid

They already did that in Ace Attorney?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
edit: nm, wrong thread

Jennings' bad jokes just seemed like bad jokes from an out of touch midwesterner. Like a less tone-deaf Alton Brown or something. All of Mike Richards poo poo has painted the picture of someone who has regressive views about women that probably effect the way he does his job.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 21, 2021

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1428724022527684619?s=21

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Following up Alex Trebak, a veritable decades long institution of class, grace, intelligence, and wit, was always going to be a impossible task but making a loving executive producer who's been involved with the show for only 2 years the host was like the most corrupt, naked nepotism on display it's like they honestly just assumed anyone with a pulse could take over and the TV audience would just gobble it up.

Given how quickly and hard he was milkshake ducked it's not like any of that was a secret, all the people in the process were probably aware he was an rear end to women they just, like previously mentioned, assumed the audience would gobble it up and not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Get the guy from the first Joe Shmoe