Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Sanguinia posted:

Good old Bill may still be stuck in Vince's money machine, but the Stinger is home where he belongs. And I'll love AEW forever for what they've given him.

Sting's run with TNA really killed his mystique for me but AEW has been able to rehab him to the point where he's my favourite wrestledad. The Sting/Cassidy bit did so much to make me fall in love with the guy again because it was this moment where I was reminded this guy really is a team player; he could have been an rear end and said that was going to hurt the business but instead he completely bought in and even brought his own twist to the sequence. It felt like a guy just having a great time while putting one of the best comedic wrestlers over with a couple moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
adam cole said britt baker is a big kingdom hearts fan so the wwe are already sending out messages trying to burying aew talent because of punk's return

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Cavauro posted:

do you think cm punk and malister black will have a sit-off and kick eachother match-up, or anything of that style? do you think he only wants to fight the kids. i'm asking

Malakai doesn't need Punk, he understands that he appeals to a specific type of wrestling fan and can rely on booking to get him over with the general audience. Punk is the guy who is going to bring legitimacy to the fresh faces who haven't been in WWE like the 4 Pillars who can get over on their own, but he can make that journey that much easier.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it is now 2am and i still cant buy the shirt

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Renaissance Spam posted:

Sting's run with TNA really killed his mystique for me but AEW has been able to rehab him to the point where he's my favourite wrestledad. The Sting/Cassidy bit did so much to make me fall in love with the guy again because it was this moment where I was reminded this guy really is a team player; he could have been an rear end and said that was going to hurt the business but instead he completely bought in and even brought his own twist to the sequence. It felt like a guy just having a great time while putting one of the best comedic wrestlers over with a couple moves.

That and the interview with Darby where he talked about filming the cinematic match with Sting and said the only spot they hesitated on was throwing the bat down to Sting because they were worried that they might screw it up and could really injure him and Sting was just like "I'm catching that bat."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

it is now 2am and i still cant buy the shirt

i just got mine! took almost 4 hours. i absolutely jumped on as soon as he took his hoodie off cause i'm a big ol mark

i also got the shida kitty samurai shirt which i'm almost more excited for

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Was it just me, or was Darby extra fidgety in the rafters during that segment? Almost like he was trying to keep himself from grinning.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not highest price, the average price :stare:

Critical posted:

Just checked and the get in price is $351.

Vaguely remembering something Dave Meltzer said about AEW setting the record at a previous PPV for highest price "cheapest" ticket on the secondary market.... doesn't this surpass that?

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

Punk vs Mox
Punk vs Jungle Boy
Punk vs MJF

Danielson vs Jungle Boy
Danielson vs Angelico
Danielson vs Daniel Garcia

Ruby Soho vs Kris Statlander
Ruby Soho vs Red Velvet
Ruby Soho Vs Britt Baker

Excalibur, Taz, and AJ Mendez-Brooks on commentary.

gently caress I'm too high.

Motherfucker.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a pop that big in wrestling, honestly. There have been ones that loud but not that sustained, and there have been ones that sustained but not that loud. They drowned out the music and commentary, and every single thing he did or said elicited another huge pop. He got a god pop for sitting. That's crazy.
I hate to bring him up, but Hogan's pop on the RAW after WM18 in Montreal was not only loud but pretty well-sustained

anakha posted:

Was it just me, or was Darby extra fidgety in the rafters during that segment? Almost like he was trying to keep himself from grinning.
I noticed that too. He was doing his very best not to mark out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can't afford the 1,000 dollar ticket to the show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rampagethoughts

Absolutely insane crowd. They're starting with The Announcement.

And they just go right to it. Absolute goosebumps. Cult of Personality and everything. This feels huge. He looks good. And he plays the crowd perfectly. Starting with a Britt Baker gag is smart as gently caress. I cannot remember the last time I heard a crowd this molten. He takes off his hoodie and sells fifteen thousand ringer tees. Linking to Ring Honor was smart. poo poo, he is so loving good at this. There's touches of Shibata, there's touches of Dusty, pure rugged babyface. The Darby bit really worked.

Ice cream bars!

That went every bit as well as it could have.

Christian and Jurassic Express promo. Perfectly decent, but just feels quiet.

1) Private Party vs Jurassic Express. These lads better have their working boots on, following Punk. Thankfully they do. Jungle Boy especially is really great at building and banking crowd excitement. Jungle Boy is so good at picking moments for his comeback. OH MY loving CHRIST! that Canadian Destroyer off Luchasaurus'shoulders was unbelievable. JE win. Hell of a match, and one that won the crowd back.

2) Jade Cargill vs Kiera Hogan. Hogan does scrappy dog well. And she is FAST. But then she runs into inevitability. Kiera gets her shine, Jade doesn't get exposed. Decently done.

I could listen to 2.0 promo forever.

3) Jon Moxley vs Daniel Garcia. One of the things I like most about Garcia is that he doesn't look scared when he's facing huge odds. He fights smart and Mox is a great foil. This is a really good physical match. Garcia is this good at the age of 22. He loses but he looked tough as gently caress in the loss.

2.0 intervene. Darby and Sting come out to help. Darby does a coffin drop on two guys. Great way to end a show.

Well, that was an experience. There was a real risk that after Punk the show was going to die on its arse, but the excellent tag brought the crowd back, then the main event sealed the deal. This is how you debut a motherfucker.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I guess it's glaringly obvious the second time watching but Punk giving the signal for commentary to jump in was awesome, I know some people were worried about Jericho hooting and hollering during Punk's debut but it was handled so so well

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

That and the interview with Darby where he talked about filming the cinematic match with Sting and said the only spot they hesitated on was throwing the bat down to Sting because they were worried that they might screw it up and could really injure him and Sting was just like "I'm catching that bat."

Does anyone have a link for this? It sounds awesome.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I guess it's glaringly obvious the second time watching but Punk giving the signal for commentary to jump in was awesome, I know some people were worried about Jericho hooting and hollering during Punk's debut but it was handled so so well
They kayfabed that Jericho wasn't on commentary because he was still nursing his wounds from the MJF match but for all we know TK might have had the forethought that Jericho would've Michael Cole'd the moment, so he had JR sit in instead

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well that was awesome. AEW's not perfect and all billionaires are evil, but man Khan makes a strong run at trying to change both of those things. I feel like we got to see a guy regain his love for wrestling in real time in the span of a few minutes. And he's not even the only person I'd say that about in AEW. Schiavone, Sting, Arn, Black. It's just fun. I'm not even a big CM Punk guy and I was grinning ear to ear. And to think there's more to come.

The rest of the show banged too. Just a company focused on making the crowds happy over basically anything else. They started the show with Punk and then ended with just 4 super over faces hitting all their moves. It was like a house show. I love it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

wrestling is good

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

They kayfabed that Jericho wasn't on commentary because he was still nursing his wounds from the MJF match but for all we know TK might have had the forethought that Jericho would've Michael Cole'd the moment, so he had JR sit in instead

good point and i think someone in the rampage thread pointed out that JR sounded like 15 years younger tonight thank you straight edge magic for saving JR's brain for a very important night

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Renaissance Spam posted:

Does anyone have a link for this? It sounds awesome.

https://www.thesportster.com/news/darby-allin-worried-about-breaking-stings-face-revolution/

quote:

"I was doing everything and I felt on autopilot. I had an adrenaline rush and felt we could go all night and was on fire with it. The only thing that stopped me was when I had to throw the bat to Sting. I was like, 'Alright, I'm going to throw this down.' Tony (Khan) put it best, 'You know how the laws of physics work, right? That bat is going to come down and we don't know if it's going to break Sting's face.'

First time in the whole shoot I started thinking like, 'What if I do break Sting's face and he can't finish the match?' He's the one who was like, 'I'm catching that bat.' Perfect catch, first try, beat the (expletive) out of everyone. I was on cloud nine."

actual podcast is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/darby-allin/id1462095622?i=1000518650476. that quote is about 11 minutes in

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

gently caress i can't sleep, i'm just vibrating

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The remarkable thing for me was how simply they did it. They cultivated the rumours, they confirmed nothing, and then they opened the show with something that simultaneously was exactly what everyone expected AND incredibly satisfying. Really smartly done.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For some reason, Punk vs. Penta is the dream match I most want out of this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Do not even ask posted:

gently caress i can't sleep, i'm just vibrating

My condolences about onlyfans

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Gavok posted:

For some reason, Punk vs. Penta is the dream match I most want out of this.

Cero Drogas!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
After hogan, and Saudia Arabia I was just done with wrestling. And then especially with #metoo and wrestling. It was just so ugly. Even taking the piss out of WWE is boring because it is so boring.

But poo poo. I think I have to start watching this week to week now. I've seen the PPVs. But now I'm just...happy for wrestling.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Media scrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM8xcyPAxXw

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
After tonight, WWE is Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdM46G984vw

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 21, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's remarkable to me that AEW is getting so far just on having the brilliant idea of liking their fans and giving them the things they like.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SonicRulez posted:

It's remarkable to me that AEW is getting so far just on having the brilliant idea of liking their fans and giving them the things they like.

It's remarkable to me that people don't understand that when they do a talent vs talent comparison when the issue is the structure not the players.

https://twitter.com/WinCityPW/status/1428973253905747971

Yes, yes he did. Because all of those people would be great if they weren't in the most toxic and volatile environment imaginable.

If they just literally woke up tomorrow and copied AEW and went "well gently caress lets do what people like" they would be hotter than AEW in an instant. But the roots of the tree are diseased.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Someone sent me a link to some AEW hate twitters that are up in loving arms right now. A big mix of either "What the gently caress how DARE CM Punk choose some pissant loving outlaw mud show over THE BIG LEAGUES, he OWES them EVERYTHING!" and also "HMMM YET ANOTHER WWE LOSER? CODY PROMISED THEY'D BE DIFFERENT ITS TNA ALL OVER AGAIN HURR HURR"

Sometimes I wish Cody had kept his dumbass mouth shut because idiots on the internet will never, ever, EVER let the "sports based presentation" or "We're not gonna sign every WWE guy" poo poo go

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Lid posted:

It's remarkable to me that people don't understand that when they do a talent vs talent comparison when the issue is the structure not the players.

https://twitter.com/WinCityPW/status/1428973253905747971

Yes, yes he did. Because all of those people would be great if they weren't in the most toxic and volatile environment imaginable.

If they just literally woke up tomorrow and copied AEW and went "well gently caress lets do what people like" they would be hotter than AEW in an instant. But the roots of the tree are diseased.

Punk also talked about young talent, all these guys are 35+

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

makeing stars and popularizing an entire promotion isn't how you move the needle. you gotta fight people you've fought 50 times as well as people who are also just about to retire

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZXDqREmaU

I'll say it - this is the most memorable promo in over a decade. There probably were a few others between then and now (e.g., during Bryan's magical WM30 run) but for the life of me I can't remember any of them.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
The coolest thing to me was seeing the guy legit happy again. He had this beaten out of him to the point no one ever thought he’d be back…and to see him walk out and you can SEE the moment where he realizes how big this was and he just starts beaming.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Why did the Tweetman only list one guy Punk "picked over," the WWE roster and not a bunch? I think he might be biased!

Also, I still can't order my shirt because the store is dying when I try to check out, but I kind of love the fact that they're very clear the one in the online store has a blank back. Not "I WAS THERE," if you weren't there Internet Fans!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bryan’s retirement promo was genuinely great imo

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

KungFu Grip posted:

adam cole said britt baker is a big kingdom hearts fan so the wwe are already sending out messages trying to burying aew talent because of punk's return

Joke's on them, that just makes me think Britt is even cooler!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

:v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sba posted:

The coolest thing to me was seeing the guy legit happy again. He had this beaten out of him to the point no one ever thought he’d be back…and to see him walk out and you can SEE the moment where he realizes how big this was and he just starts beaming.

Easily my favorite ~15 minutes in wrestling ever, from pre-entrance to exit. Can't change my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

Someone sent me a link to some AEW hate twitters that are up in loving arms right now. A big mix of either "What the gently caress how DARE CM Punk choose some pissant loving outlaw mud show over THE BIG LEAGUES, he OWES them EVERYTHING!" and also "HMMM YET ANOTHER WWE LOSER? CODY PROMISED THEY'D BE DIFFERENT ITS TNA ALL OVER AGAIN HURR HURR"

Sometimes I wish Cody had kept his dumbass mouth shut because idiots on the internet will never, ever, EVER let the "sports based presentation" or "We're not gonna sign every WWE guy" poo poo go

Who cares, if Cody hadn't said that the bad faith bullshitters would just have found something else to latch onto.