Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The correct way to use semicolons has been lost in that same 3rd grade void where the "silent schwa sound" and 90% of the state capitals all disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Imagine two colons at the edge of a cliff

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
counterpoint: semicolon loving rules. it's my favourite punctuation mark too, and it's about as lovely as a punctuation mark can be

that said, i've no loving idea on how to actually use it

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They call it a lieutenant colon in the Army, I believe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Commas go wherever you'd pause if you were speaking out loud, duh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Commas go wherever you'd pause if you were speaking out loud, duh

I'm, a, rock, it, man!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

nurmie posted:

counterpoint: semicolon loving rules. it's my favourite punctuation mark too, and it's about as lovely as a punctuation mark can be

that said, i've no loving idea on how to actually use it

You use it to connect two complete sentences that are very closely related so in a way it’s like the halfway point between a comma and a period.

“I ordered a cheeseburger for lunch; life’s too short for counting calories.”

Another way to think about is that you’re basically substituting it in place of a conjunctive like and:

“I read your post, and it was loving terrible”

“I read your post; it was loving terrible”

The other main use is in lists if the things you’re listing have internal punctuation (like if you’re listing cities and their respect countries) and stuff like that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why is stuff like this never actually explained in English classes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because american public schools are bad. I think I only learned it in college? I just kind of brute forced my way through high school without learning jack poo poo but you can totally get by life without ever using a semi.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
P sure Josef is british, also lol they absolutely teach you how to use semicolons at the lovely segregated school I went to in west Texas.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

P sure Josef is british, also lol they absolutely teach you how to use semicolons at the lovely segregated school I went to in west Texas.

I am, for my sins, but yeah I still have to look up what verbs and adverbs are because of how weird it all is.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The English language is just an absolute clusterfuck of word rules, punctuation rules, and spelling rules; all of which get broken all the time, but are still correct because it's the linguistic equivalent of a post apocalyptic hell scape.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Robobot posted:

The English language is just an absolute clusterfuck of word rules, punctuation rules, and spelling rules; all of which get broken all the time, but are still correct because it's the linguistic equivalent of a post apocalyptic hell scape.

to be fair, most if not all languages are like that, in my experience. unless its a conlang in use by like 10 people

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's funny when monolingual anglophones act like the spelling bee is wacky and I get to be like "my rosbif have u heard of la dictée??"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This is a PHUO: The academie francaise and any other body that "strictly examines" language can get into a large bin.

Standardisation of language is important in a lot of instances, however I do think that some level of difference is great and more helpful than just slamming "NO LOAN WORDS" over and over.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: Anyone who holds up traffic after a red light change looking at their phone should have their eyes put out and fingers removed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

This is a PHUO: The academie francaise and any other body that "strictly examines" language can get into a large bin.

Standardisation of language is important in a lot of instances, however I do think that some level of difference is great and more helpful than just slamming "NO LOAN WORDS" over and over.

I'm not sure that that's unpopular. Nobody takes AF seriously for example. Even in Québec, people's concern comes from dumb anglo bullshit where if a québécois won't just immediately switch to english, they're an rear end in a top hat, whereas everywhere else they are expected to speak english and it's unthinkable someone walks into a Manitoba timmies and goes hello café deux crêmes without... being labeled a smug french rear end in a top hat. Pick a side anglos is it rude to barge in and speak your own language or not!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Why is stuff like this never actually explained in English classes?

Oh they definitely were. I could diagram a sentence like a motherfucker in school, but now, no way man.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not sure that that's unpopular. Nobody takes AF seriously for example. Even in Québec, people's concern comes from dumb anglo bullshit where if a québécois won't just immediately switch to english, they're an rear end in a top hat, whereas everywhere else they are expected to speak english and it's unthinkable someone walks into a Manitoba timmies and goes hello café deux crêmes without... being labeled a smug french rear end in a top hat. Pick a side anglos is it rude to barge in and speak your own language or not!

No, it is definitely not rude to barge in and speak my language.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
PHUO: if there are free seats on a bus/train, just loving sit in them (giving them up for those who need them, obviously). This loving game where everyone is too polite to sit in the few remaining free seats on a busy transport doesnr help anyone, it just causes a confusing blockage in the aisle and actually makes it harder for those who need seats to reach them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The zipper merge of public transportation

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Anyone who holds up traffic after a red light change looking at their phone should have their eyes put out and fingers removed

Bonus points if it’s a left turn signal that’s on a short timer that takes forever to come around again.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

The zipper merge of public transportation

Ha! It really is. When I first moved from the country to a city I was really weirded out by how close everyone was comfortable being to each other. In a town of 200 people that's spread over several miles standing with shoulders touching the person next to you could have started a fight. Now I'm used to gently (and sometimes a tad less than gently) shouldering my way through a crowd of people so I can squeeze onto the four inches of seat that remain next to the giant man with the comical amount of grocery bags.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bonus points if it’s a left turn signal that’s on a short timer that takes forever to come around again.

Yeah, there is one of these by my apartment, and I honk at people in front of me to pay attention maybe 1 out of 3 times I drive through the intersection.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The timing was thankfully adjusted, but by my old place the left turn signal was barely long enough for two cars, three if you didn't mind going though a yellow.

The only times in my entire life I've honked my horn for non-danger reasons was in that intersection, and it happened probably once a week.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have never used the horn in my car. It seems really rude.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaius Marius posted:

I use it a lot as a "could you please stop doing the stupid action you are doing and let me get where i'm trying to go" button. Goes well with a middle finger and a "gently caress you" out the window.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I really only do the quick double tap just as an "I'm here" or "hey, it's your turn". The long angry honk is reserved specifically for "oh, gently caress this rear end in a top hat is gonna hit me" situations.

Edit:
Or to scare a buddy that lives down the street from me and always rides his bike. Obviously.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Disco Pope posted:

PHUO: if there are free seats on a bus/train, just loving sit in them (giving them up for those who need them, obviously). This loving game where everyone is too polite to sit in the few remaining free seats on a busy transport doesnr help anyone, it just causes a confusing blockage in the aisle and actually makes it harder for those who need seats to reach them.

Maybe they don't want to sit down because they're only going a short distance

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sad for all these people with conditions that don't affect their ability to stand on a moving bus, but makes the actual act of standing up from a seat an arduous process.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Maybe they don't want to sit down because they're only going a short distance

Or because they’re suspicious of why that seat on a crowded bus/subway is empty. (Piss. It’s usually piss)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The timing was thankfully adjusted, but by my old place the left turn signal was barely long enough for two cars, three if you didn't mind going though a yellow.

The only times in my entire life I've honked my horn for non-danger reasons was in that intersection, and it happened probably once a week.

I'm convinced it's some kind of local corruption scandal between the traffic controllers and the richer housing tracts but here the more elaborate the name of the suburb the longer their lights are.

When you get up to "The Oak Reserve At The Preserve of Breckinbrookridge Estates; The Quickening" where houses start at seven figures then whenever any one of their residents trips a sensor a six lane highway is instantly shut down with a 30+ second light change so that one car can leave.

There are like 2 mile traffic jams at those lights every day as their residents stream out 1-2 at a time for 3+ hours.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean my unpopular opinion is that we'll always need rules and someone who makes you follow them.
Why? We don't have that now.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think you aren't supposed to use more than one comma in a sentence.
That is not correct.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I too, never know how many commas to use, and probably overdo it.
Almost everyone uses too many commas. The first thing you (that is, everyone) should do after writing anything is go back and get rid of about half the commas. Some should be replaced by full stops or semicolons, others can just be deleted.

Gaius Marius posted:

It is. The only legitimate use for a car horn is when you need to go "Hey! Look over here immediately! There is imminent danger!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Almost everyone uses too many commas. The first thing you (that is, everyone) should do after writing anything is go back and get rid of about half the commas. Some should be replaced by full stops or semicolons, others can just be deleted.

In the unfortunate event I ever have to read one of my own posts, one of things I immediately regret is the ludicrous amount of horrible run-on sentences.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
youll just have to deal, with my poorly formated shitpost,

your'e out of luck here-Buddy...if your reading this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I'll...just...post like...a baby boomer...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

thank you...

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The half marshmallow candies in haribo mixes are an abomination that should not be.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Guyver posted:

The half marshmallow candies in haribo mixes are an abomination that should not be.

Those orange circles with the white bottoms are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in a Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ?????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????!??????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ...................................... ...................................... ...................................... ...................................... -------------------------------------- -------------------------------------- --------------------------------------