Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

How the hell did it go that poorly

The first agent insisted it was a buy one get one. When I got that sorted out I brought up the SyncUp Drive thing and they said they couldn't do it, but could do a similar thing where I'd get the thing free, and pay $10 for the line. That was also okay. They said $7 today and that was all. Then they got an error they said they could do nothing about, so they couldn't do it. Then they could do it, but I'd have to give them $103 today and they would credit it back to my account. They couldn't explain what the error was or why the amount needed changed like that and refused to honor the original offer. I don't even care that much about the device, but being lied to about stuff like this was why I left Verizon, I can't stand it. Just don't offer deals you can't honor and honor the ones you do offer. It's not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Vince MechMahon posted:

The first agent insisted it was a buy one get one. When I got that sorted out I brought up the SyncUp Drive thing and they said they couldn't do it, but could do a similar thing where I'd get the thing free, and pay $10 for the line. That was also okay. They said $7 today and that was all. Then they got an error they said they could do nothing about, so they couldn't do it. Then they could do it, but I'd have to give them $103 today and they would credit it back to my account. They couldn't explain what the error was or why the amount needed changed like that and refused to honor the original offer. I don't even care that much about the device, but being lied to about stuff like this was why I left Verizon, I can't stand it. Just don't offer deals you can't honor and honor the ones you do offer. It's not that hard.

It sounds like the guy was just confused and dealing with an obtuse accounting system. I wouldn’t consider anything there a “lie”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GutBomb posted:

It sounds like the guy was just confused and dealing with an obtuse accounting system. I wouldn’t consider anything there a “lie”

They offered a deal and refused to honor it. Doesn't matter if it was intentional.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I mean when you were at the point of asking them to use the free line for the SyncUp Drive (which the free line is not really for) that's when things started to go south.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean when you were at the point of asking them to use the free line for the SyncUp Drive (which the free line is not really for) that's when things started to go south.

They had said "no sorry we can't do that," and that was totally understandable and fine. They then offered me another separate deal which also would have been fine. Them then not honoring that second, separate deal is the issue, not the free line not working with SyncUp Drive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just texted T-Mobile support about the free line and they told me I could have it for $30 sim activation and that I could use it for SyncUp or an Apple Watch after 3 months of it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

From my experience these last few months, the nights, weekend and overflow people are outsourced and if you need any deal stuff done, they don't know how to or won't do it (you can tell you're talking to them because they're actually in a call center). The normal T-Mobile people are great and know their way around the deals super well.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Vince MechMahon posted:

They had said "no sorry we can't do that," and that was totally understandable and fine. They then offered me another separate deal which also would have been fine. Them then not honoring that second, separate deal is the issue, not the free line not working with SyncUp Drive.

Just call and explain the situation, and that you are looking for a proper resolution here. 99% of the time, they escalate the issue to make it right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Random weird question: I switched to t-mobile a couple of months ago and group texts are kind of weird. It adds my phone as another group, so when I send a message, I then receive my own message, and I'll get a second message string that has both my name listed and my number listed as separate recipients. Anyone heard of this issue and is there a fix of some sort?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Random weird question: I switched to t-mobile a couple of months ago and group texts are kind of weird. It adds my phone as another group, so when I send a message, I then receive my own message, and I'll get a second message string that has both my name listed and my number listed as separate recipients. Anyone heard of this issue and is there a fix of some sort?

Did you switch phones as well, or just switch carriers on the same phone? I'm a serial switcher between Apple and Android and I've had that group text stuff happen whenever I switch platforms, not necessarily carriers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

plester1 posted:

Did you switch phones as well, or just switch carriers on the same phone? I'm a serial switcher between Apple and Android and I've had that group text stuff happen whenever I switch platforms, not necessarily carriers.

Switched carriers (AT&T to tmobile) but kept the same phone (Galaxy s21 ultra).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beefstorm posted:

Just call and explain the situation, and that you are looking for a proper resolution here. 99% of the time, they escalate the issue to make it right.

I've made no less than five calls and spoken to two managers. One of them is calling me back when I'm off work, supposedly.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

In my experience it’s barely ever worth doing t-mobile offers given the hours you have to spend talking with customer service to fix all the ways it hosed up your plan.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just got my free 3rd line Sim card in the mail. I called to activate it and while I was on the phone I asked the rep to transfer it to a sync up drive and he said he's not allowed to do that. He even put my on hold and verified with someone above him. He said you can't do it on a free line.

Then he said something about my Tmobile digits lines and I told him I never use them (I actually don't even know what they're for). He said he believes he can convert a digits line to a sync up drive line at no extra cost. He said he's going to call me back Friday with more info.

Has anyone ever heard of that? That would be pretty great because it would mean I'd get to use my third free line in a regular phone and ALSO have sync up drive not using up that slot. I'm pretty prepared for him to call me back on Friday and say he looked into it and couldn't do it for me, so I would also like something I can respond with if he is indeed wrong about the line thing.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Switched carriers (AT&T to tmobile) but kept the same phone (Galaxy s21 ultra).

You could try resetting your network settings and see if that helps.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Does anyone have experience with changing your phone number? Specifically if I can import a number to change mine to? A few years back I was on Google Fi and I ported that number to Voice, then joined a family plan with my mom and brother and got a new number. The headaches of using Voice are not worth it anymore and Google keeps telling me they're really for real shuttering Hangouts so I'm ready to just have one number again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

Does anyone have experience with changing your phone number? Specifically if I can import a number to change mine to? A few years back I was on Google Fi and I ported that number to Voice, then joined a family plan with my mom and brother and got a new number. The headaches of using Voice are not worth it anymore and Google keeps telling me they're really for real shuttering Hangouts so I'm ready to just have one number again.

I would call T-Mobile care, they should have a process to port the number over top (aka replace) your current number.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Humerus posted:

Yes I actually did the exact same thing (ported my Google Voice number to my T-Mobile so it would be my primary number) right around the time Google began allowing you to take the number away. I don’t quite remember the entire process but it was fairly painless with a few hours or so where things were still migrating that my line kinda fucky but otherwise it went by without trouble.

It helped that I did it in-store instead of trying to do poo poo over the phone and the people that worked there actually knew who to call and what to do.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Porting numbers these days is remarkably easy and I’m very glad for it. I’ve ported my number three time now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobiles-5g-upgrade-includes-the-iphone

Has anyone got this promotion to work? $530 off for a 7 seems fine with me. (Via 24 monthly credits)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Elephanthead posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobiles-5g-upgrade-includes-the-iphone

Has anyone got this promotion to work? $530 off for a 7 seems fine with me. (Via 24 monthly credits)

I did one of the other new promos and had no issues (don't have any spare iPhones at the moment). In fact it seems like they updated their checkout process to much more clearly indicate what part of the trade in is up front vs bill credits which is very helpful.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jumped on that "free Samsung A32 5G for any phone you trade" deal. $30ish to convert an old Moto E Verizon pre-pay locked phone I was using as a video player into a new 5G phone that I can use on one of the many spare free lines t-mobile keeps throwing my way is a solid deal. Rinse and repeat for my old as poo poo HTC G2 that doesn't hold a charge and a Nexus 4 which keeps crashing all the time

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

Jumped on that "free Samsung A32 5G for any phone you trade" deal. $30ish to convert an old Moto E Verizon pre-pay locked phone I was using as a video player into a new 5G phone that I can use on one of the many spare free lines t-mobile keeps throwing my way is a solid deal. Rinse and repeat for my old as poo poo HTC G2 that doesn't hold a charge and a Nexus 4 which keeps crashing all the time

Did the same with a Verizon Moto G4 play I had been using as a test phone, heck of a deal.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’ve got an iPhone 5S laying around, I don’t really need an iPhone 12 mini or a random Samsung but those seem like better options than $50 on Craigslist or whatever.

Mitch McGobble
Oct 18, 2017

So, just a reminder/heads up to everyone here: starting today, T-Mobile will start sharing customer data with third-party advertisers unless you opt-out. You should be able to opt-out in the app or on my.tmobile.com.

Mitch McGobble fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 26, 2021

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mitch McGobble posted:

So, just a reminder/heads up to everyone here: starting today, T-Mobile will start sharing customer data with third-party advertisers unless you opt-out. You should be able to opt-out in the app or on my.tmobile.com.

Thanks for the heads up. I found the opt out toggles in the app under More -> Advertising & Analytics

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Mitch McGobble posted:

Looks like these settings are here on the website: https://www.t-mobile.com/account/profile/privacy_notifications/advertising

Thanks for the heads up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Tmobile basically twisted my arm into agreeing to the free third line thing and my bill went up SEVENTY loving dollars just now.

I called them up and they said "oh you're on the all in one plan, you should have never been told you were eligible". I had three different reps tell me I was eligible.

poo poo like this is why I left Verizon.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Broke my phone and need a new one today for work for under a hundred bucks. Can you still go buy a Walmart Family Plan phone and just put a t-mo SIM in it like I did last time this happened? I only ask because that was years ago and I can't get an answer online.

I'd go to a T-Mobile store but they don't show prices or availability online and I'm not supporting that horseshit if I don't have to.

E: Nevermind, I got a phone. Big box retail store phones are all carrier locked, by the way, I did the research on a phone in a retail store lol. T-Mobile stores sell phones starting at $100, but they're a rough deal. I ended up with an unlocked Moto G Fast because it was late and I work early.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 6, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Signed up for Tmobile yesterday. The first line that he signed up gets all kinds of texts about surveys and stuff, can I change which line they're directed to?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Charles posted:

Signed up for Tmobile yesterday. The first line that he signed up gets all kinds of texts about surveys and stuff, can I change which line they're directed to?

I've found those to be fairly random in terms of what lines gets what depending on what you're doing but generally they get sent to the "primary" line which you should be able to change.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Maneki Neko posted:

I've found those to be fairly random in terms of what lines gets what depending on what you're doing but generally they get sent to the "primary" line which you should be able to change.

I created an account on the website last night and set myself to primary but I think the survey still went to that other line this morning. Oh well, but it's just going to someone in their 70s who is not very tech savvy, so it might take me a while to hear about it 😂 Hopefully changing me to primary will send all the tech stuff here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm that didn't work. Bill notice still went to that line. If I figure it out I'll update here.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
2 years free credit monitoring because TMobile sucks at the internet or whatever: https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/data-breach-2021/next-steps

Enjoy! I pretty much have free credit monitoring for life across the twenty different companies that have exposed my personal info, so one more is nice.

Enjoy!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Cool, I'll just add it to the 20+ years of free credit monitoring I have from the other breaches I've been victimized by. Too many companies have too much of my information and this sucks, truly.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's not a way to turn off SMS 2fa once you have an app for 2fa, is there? I've changed password and pin, frozen credit, and added the port protection, but can't figure this out.

And I had just switched the family to t-mobile a month ago :lol:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just switched from AT&T to T-mobile so I'm double hosed. Some AT&T data is out there too lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Once Equifax got hacked and literally every single US citizen's SSN got leaked, it was pretty much game over in terms of security and identity theft. Personally what I do is I have my SSN locked individually with all 3 credit bureau's. It's a pain in the rear end when you actually need to apply for something like a loan, but it's worth the peace of mind to me and it's free.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Once Equifax got hacked and literally every single US citizen's SSN got leaked, it was pretty much game over in terms of security and identity theft. Personally what I do is I have my SSN locked individually with all 3 credit bureau's. It's a pain in the rear end when you actually need to apply for something like a loan, but it's worth the peace of mind to me and it's free.

That’s a good idea. Think I’ll do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'd like to add on top of the 3 credit bureaus, to also freeze your ChexSystems profile so would be identity thieves will have a harder time opening bank accounts in your name. There's also a lesser known credit bureau that also has a profile on you called Innovis. I froze that as well just in case. Don't usually need to unfreeze that when applying for something.

At the very least the 3 majors and ChexSystems have made it easier to unfreeze things and *don't* charge you for the privilege as they no longer legally can.