Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

kri kri posted:

4K capture, man the grappling hook

https://youtu.be/O8WSijyKMXE

First leaked footage that got me pumped, and more serious about finally upgrading my computer (my first proper gaming PC was after playing the BF3 beta - only had SSD/GPU upgrades after my beloved Sandy Lake CPU, hooah.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the tech test was missing a ton of announced features, ran at low settings and ran like poo poo, and also was glitchy as gently caress. This may or may not be because it was an old build, but theres still a ton of unknowns about the launch itself. I know DICE doesnt have the best record for clean launches, but I would still recommend withholding judgement until at least the open-beta. That will give us a much better idea of what state the game will launch in imo

fwiw, despite all of those issues, I still had a lot of fun in the tech test and it got me amped for launch. It def feels like a direct successor to BF4, much more so than BF1 or BFV. And while I am a HUGE fan of BF1 and an apologist for BFV, im def looking forward to a return to modern combat for 2042

all that being said, to anyone reading this for the love of God dont preorder if youre on the fence and please wait to make sure it isnt completely broken at launch like BF4 was
Battlefield releases are betas, Battlefield betas are alphas, and Battlefield technical tests are pre-alphas

Fart Car '97 posted:

BF2 fuckin ruled you dorks
BF2 made Battlefield what it is today

-Spotting
-VOIP
-Squads

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 20, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

enemy boat spotted

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The United States posted:

Battlefield releases are betas, Battlefield betas are alphas, and Battlefield technical tests are pre-alphas
:hmmyes:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Fart Car '97 posted:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Kibayasu posted:

I played BF2 immediately followed by 2142 a year or two ago during those couple months some crazy people got away with releasing the games for free and running multiplayer servers for them and it was shocking just bad BF2 was and how much better 2142 was. Guns you could actually reliably hit things with! Who could have imagined that would be important in a first person shooter?

Like I always remembered liking 2142 more than BF2 but the main thing I took away from playing BF2 again was "This was actually kind of a pretty bad game. How did the series survive this?" I wonder if 1942 would feel the same way, though I had probably at least 10 times more hours in Desert Combat than I did in vanilla 1942.

Didn’t BF2142 introduce the thing where the first shot has next to no spread so it isn’t entirely random? I remember in BF2 the bullet could land anywhere in the crosshair spread which mean you just couldn’t hit beyond like 100m

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

kri kri posted:

4K capture, man the grappling hook

https://youtu.be/O8WSijyKMXE

Wow, HUD Icons don't scale with distance? What the hell?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Can a mod just change the thread title to "Goons misunderstanding technical tests"?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

jisforjosh posted:

Can a mod just change the thread title to "Goons misunderstanding technical tests"?

You're the OP. Send a PM to a mod and they'll change it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Never said it was, it's just for creeps who wear suspenders and pageboy hats

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fart Car '97 posted:

You're thinking of BC2

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FAUXTON posted:

You're thinking of BC2

BF2 ruled, but games have moved on since then

BC2 also ruled.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

Report the thread with the new title you'd like

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Wow, HUD Icons don't scale with distance? What the hell?

frostbite fps games have, hands down, the most insane level of UI customization I have ever seen. BF 4, BF1, both the StarWars battlefront games ect. they let you scale, turn off/on, opacity and so many more options

its a technical test dont freakout yet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

frostbite fps games have, hands down, the most insane level of UI customization I have ever seen. BF 4, BF1, both the StarWars battlefront games ect. they let you scale, turn off/on, opacity and so many more options

its a technical test dont freakout yet

Games › Battlefield: its a technical test dont freakout yet

Though something tells me people will *still* freak out about the oddities in a technical test...

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I know they specifically mentioned things like the kill icons are not yet in so I'm sure there's lots of tweaks to go.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The console edition of BF2 had one of my favorite maps ever called Backstab that was a perfect semi-symmetrical mix of urban and vehicle combat. It’d be awesome if they remade it in some fashion.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FAUXTON posted:

You're thinking of BC2

BC2 also ruled, but we were never able to convert a MiG-29 to VTOL by using C4 in it

Come to think of it all my favorite BF2 memories are of a half-empty KFS while we did cockamamie poo poo like vehicle launches and hold zip line races

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Little Bird confirmed: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42075/night-stalker-special-ops-helicopters-now-in-kabul-could-be-critical-to-evacuation

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am getting more and more desperate with my old rear end RX480. I will try until october to get a new graphics cards but if it doesn't happen I'll have to spend silly money just so I can play this.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Perestroika posted:

I kinda love how most equipment names are just taking the existing name and pumping up the numbers because it's THE FUTURE. The M4A1 turns into the M5A3, M4 Carl Gustaf becomes the M5 recoilless, KA-50 will be the KA-520. :allears:

It's the future my man, we ain't using no ancient C4 anymore, we use C5

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

finally came across some test gameplay from someone that can play games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-P4_g9POpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbhCWkvp2-8

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 21, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

cause I watched some BF2042 videos I am being recommended BF5 videos (a game I did not play) and within 20seconds I see a guy with voodooy face paint and stupid inlaid gold weapon skins and it just occured to me that this new battlefield will be the first I play with all the ridiculous player models and weapon skin poo poo from COD and ergh vomit

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Qmass posted:

finally came across some test gameplay from someone that can play games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-P4_g9POpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbhCWkvp2-8

Yeah ok, this looks better. I think it was the previous video with the guy running around like a headless chook that made it look awful.

I’m liking the robo dog thing.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Like I always remembered liking 2142 more than BF2 but the main thing I took away from playing BF2 again was "This was actually kind of a pretty bad game. How did the series survive this?" I wonder if 1942 would feel the same way, though I had probably at least 10 times more hours in Desert Combat than I did in vanilla 1942.

Jackfrags did a short video playing bf1942 a few weeks ago, and you can see that movement and gunplay is really crap compared to modern shooters (or even shooters of that period). However, as others said before those were the games that popularized huge maps with tons of vehicles in a multiplayer fps.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

Jackfrags did a short video playing bf1942 a few weeks ago, and you can see that movement and gunplay is really crap compared to modern shooters (or even shooters of that period). However, as others said before those were the games that popularized huge maps with tons of vehicles in a multiplayer fps.
it was always the downside of battlefield games until BF1 IMO. Really bad floaty aim and icy movement is how I used to describe it. Compared to something tight like the COD series since modern warfare which - no matter how you feel about those games - has had really tight shooting mechanics.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Personally, I did not play battlefield for the gunplay until bc2. I mostly played for the mayham. Now the gunplay is better than alot of, if not most other games.

I tried a demo for one of the recent cods an wasn't impressed. Insurgency sandstorm has pretty tight gunplay, it's worth checking out before 2042 comes out.

There are alot of people who play the battlefield games for the shooting only. Which has lead to too many infantry only maps. it's surprising hardline wasn't more popular with that crowd because there weren't many vehicles, it even had a counterstrike mode.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bf2 was fun because I could find the most annoying guy and revive him against his will a million times and there was nothing he could do but help me amass points

Blocking the main door for my team? That's a revivin'

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hardline owned but was deemed a $60 bf4 expansion and shunned by most of the community

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

rap music posted:

Hardline owned but was deemed a $60 bf4 expansion and shunned by most of the community

It sucks that there are like zero servers live because yeah it was a lot of fun. Blood money was such a sick mode.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hardline was so terrible

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

I have no doubt about that but 1942 was also way simpler than BF2 and I wonder if that would help. BF2 just feels like it should be better than it is, you know?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

You’re looking back with eyes from tyool 2021

In their respective days bf1942 & 2 were revolutionary

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A lot of people forgetting the time frame BF2 was released in. Its biggest competitors were Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4, neither of which offered an experience as remotely complex or on the scale of BF2. Multi-person, player controlled helicopters, jets, tanks, small vehicles mixed together on large scale maps in a way that mostly worked. Yes there were balance issues but the sheer scope of BF2 was really breathtaking at the time. The game looked great and played good. It was buggy but it was also a time when basically everything that wasn't a strict arena shooter was buggy, and nobody was expecting the experience to be seamless. BF2 had an incredibly long lifespan, with these very forums hosting a regularly populated server for years, because the game was generally considered extremely good.

Players and Devs didn't try for the level of competitive balance that's expected now because most games were still just a goofy thing played for fun. So yeah in retrospect a lot of is was borked but it's like saying a 1960s muscle car is unreliable and needs constant fixing. Ok, so did every other car at the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rap music posted:

You’re looking back with eyes from tyool 2021

In their respective days bf1942 & 2 were revolutionary

Well I haven’t played 1942 again so I’m not saying it was actually bad too. I think being a much simpler game would help me forgive its faults. 2142 was of course built on top of BF2 so it hardly stands on its own but even back then I clicked with 2142 much faster than BF2. Those perhaps subjectively small changes they made to how weapons, vehicles, and classes work were perhaps even more revolutionary than the jump from 1942.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I don’t think we are at the point where we can say Hardlines was good, ironically. We can continue to praise 2142 though.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I forget that Hardline exists half the time

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I liked hardline. it was pretty fun during the beta, and I don't regret buying it cause the campaign was kind of a new idea. The gunplay was pretty fun, pretty cool maps. Didn't you grow up playing cops and robbers?

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

The real BF1942 was Forgotten Hope. Still the only WW2 mod game that let you putt around in a Polish Tankette. :poland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I loved BF2, but perhaps it was just because of the mods.