Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Well, I guess that's realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

pidan posted:

Playing a wrathful guy for the first time. Can't imprison my rear end in a top hat vassal brother, but can "punish criminal" him, which the tooltip says will imprison him on a win. So I fight him, and afterwards he's dead? And it says I executed him? Now I'm a kinslayer and everyone likes me slightly less. Thanks, tooltip.
That happened to me, too, and it was pretty shocking after playing so long with all the work they did to make things less surprising.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I feel like they could do a better job still with the personal combat, because it doesn't quite make sense to me.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Arbite posted:

Unless you're doing iron man just console kill 'em. Or if you are, intrigue kill 'em.

You don't even have to kill them. Just take over all the land that your relatives own (it's pretty easy, especially before you become emperor) and you should become dynasty head of the "main" dynasty once your relative to the east in Anatolia croaks. You might also have to de-land your relative in Antioch, but I can't recall.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any time I try to play tall it never works out. I was gonna play as just the duke of Luxembourg, but look Aachen is right there and it has Charlemagne's palace and oh Cologne has the cathedral so I'll just grab that and now I'm the goddamn king of Lotharingia and Brittany.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1427609838813601794

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pidan posted:

Well, I guess that's realistic

This painting haunts me

and yeah is a pretty good visual descriptor of when I have to kill my son(s)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a list somewhere of what vassal traits incline or disincline them to rebel? I saw it referenced in a reddit thread but I searched everything I could think of and couldn't come up with one.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

zoux posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what vassal traits incline or disincline them to rebel? I saw it referenced in a reddit thread but I searched everything I could think of and couldn't come up with one.

I think Craven vassals are less likely to rebel, and Ambitious vassals are more likely to rebel. I don't know where I heard that so take it with a massive grain of salt.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The two main things that affect that are opinion modifiers and boldness, the latter of which modifies the effectiveness of your dread. The wiki shows which traits affect that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Pants posted:

The two main things that affect that are opinion modifiers and boldness, the latter of which modifies the effectiveness of your dread. The wiki shows which traits affect that.

Ah thanks. Some of them are obvious, like Ambitious or Craven, but it's not as clear with stuff like Calm or Chaste

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
guessing based on the attitude stuff listed on the wiki i would say: content, craven, honest, compassionate, trusting, temperate, just, humble, gregarious, forgiving, and lazy. all either raise the honor/compassion of the AI or lower their energy to make them too lazy to revolt.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Murdering or divorcing him is a good idea, though you won't be able to murder your kids unless you have particular traits (Sadistic I think); disinheriting them (either though the dynasty action or by appointing them as ecclesiastical rulers, assuming Theocratic religion) would be your other option. Or if you can get to Absolute Crown Authority, designate a dynastic child as your heir, assuming you can remarry in time.

Alternatively, adopt Elective or Seniority succession and you should be able to side step to some other living dynast, assuming there are other dynasts alive.

Murdered my husband. Got remarried and had a son of my dynasty. In my last year of life I moved to Absolute Crown Authority and designated him as primary heir. Didn’t realise the other heirs still inherit so lost half my titles on death (had a 95% chance to murder one of them in my last month of life thwarted by a bloodline thing) Lost a succession war and liberty war and now I’m literally back to where I started back in 1067…as a duke under the new king of Ireland.

Man this game knows how to put you on your rear end if you’re not good at it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I just did basically the exact same thing but with Norway. I loving hate partition succession so god drat much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long do you guys play for? I tend to get up to empire and get bored or I have a really bad succession and start over. I like the building up more than the maintaining so that probably biases me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I had one game as the king of Bohemia where it wasn't partition succession and I had a blast for 300 years.

I had another game as the Duchy of Friuli in Italy with house seniority succession that also was fun for about 300 years, ended up as the king of Venice.

Every game I play with partition is lucky to make it through two rulers probably because I truly suck at this game.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dunno i find partition easy to manage starting as an independent anyway. have one kingdom or one empire title and just conquer poo poo to give to the heirs you dont want inheriting the good land

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

zoux posted:

How long do you guys play for? I tend to get up to empire and get bored or I have a really bad succession and start over. I like the building up more than the maintaining so that probably biases me.
Usually until I achieve some goal or if I play without any specific goal, until I become very stable superpower and get bored, which usually takes about 200-300 years.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Two things to keep in mind, no matter how many heirs you end up splitting things up with:

1. You will always keep your capital county and your primary title

2. You will always keep all of the Men-at-Arms that your previous ruler had.

Build up your capital as much as you can, and hire as many MaA as you can without hurting your monthly gold (or prestige) income too badly and successions should generally be smoother.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

But a really bad succession is just another chance to build up

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

trapped mouse posted:

Two things to keep in mind, no matter how many heirs you end up splitting things up with:

1. You will always keep your capital county and your primary title

2. You will always keep all of the Men-at-Arms that your previous ruler had.

Build up your capital as much as you can, and hire as many MaA as you can without hurting your monthly gold (or prestige) income too badly and successions should generally be smoother.

I get this and it's fine but I was hated after the succession (despite executing for dread) and then got gang-piled so now I can't afford my MaA and lost my primary title.

EDIT: OK nevermind. The game threw me a huge bone. I created a facion to install me and it kicked off within a few months AND my liege added me as spymaster...

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Either an achievement or empire.

Or I use the mod that lets you switch to a random ruler on death so I can play to the enddate without getting bored.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I never play a game all the way to the end, CK just gives you so much time to work with and accomplishing things is a lot faster relative to other Paradox games that it really just boils down to setting goals for yourself and then deciding when you're satisfied to move on to a new playthrough.

Sometimes it is fun to build up a really big empire, then switch the succession system to an elective one that allows for non-dynastic inheritance so you'll eventually get kicked back down to a king/duke, and starting over from there (or just seeing how long it takes for the AI to ruin everything you built).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

I go for achievements, so until I get whatever I'm gunning for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyone have any particularly fun achievements and/or starts to recommend?

I had a good time with Daurama Daura, in that I got stabbed like a month in and had her sister go on a revenge spree, formed an empire, ended up reforming the faith but got bored long before I spread it to all the rest of Africa.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Going to tackle the Mother of Us All achievement. Havent quite decided on the tenets for reformed Bori yet, but definitely going to switch Adorcism for Mendicant Preachers. Leaning towards Temporal Head of Faith in order to get Divine Blood from the Consecrate Bloodline decision, and combine that with a Witch Cult for additional shits and giggles.

More importantly, in the first two centuries Ill probably just limit myself to the empire of Kanem-Bornu, and switch the Kingdom of Kanem to my primary title . Are there any strong preferences as to Capital location? Duchy of Kanem seems good, but the Holy Site in the duchy of Bornu seems the best location in the region

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I would beeline straight to the gold mines if you can, those buildings are dummy strong

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What are the good mods that offer a different experience? I’ve been playing around with the Sinews of War mod or whatever it’s called. Makes an attempt at MEIOU style economic changes with demographics and poo poo, but I’m not really sure how to interact with any of it. It also seems to radically strip down the MaA system which is a good thing imho

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dwesa posted:

Usually until I achieve some goal or if I play without any specific goal, until I become very stable superpower and get bored, which usually takes about 200-300 years.

That is how I played CK2 but in CK3 I been hanging around longer because of the dynasty mechanics: I just need to at least take my family to Legendary

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do I marry off all my rando non landed courtiers or am I wasting my time

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zoux posted:

I use courtier marriages to lure people to my court. Hey 26 martial handsome lowborn, please matri marry this ex muslim lady I recruited from my dungeon. Matrilineally, of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pidan posted:

I use courtier marriages to lure people to my court. Hey 26 martial handsome lowborn, please matri marry this ex muslim lady I recruited from my dungeon. Matrilineally, of course.

Oh yeah I do that for sure, but I mean like the 5/6/3/6/2 guy who lives at my house for some reason. Right now I marry him off so he has kids that become my courtiers later on, but i don't seem to have a stable of badass couriers, plus most of my council spots get taken up by salty vassals anyway, so I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

zoux posted:

No, I sometimes send them to some grumpy vassal as a concubine/consort if I want to make them like me a bit more. I only bother with them if they have some genetic traits that I want to pass to their kids.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

You're wasting your time

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What CB should I be using when trying to take over a duchy efficiently? Doing a county just gives that county and then I'm stuck in a truce with them. Does the duchy CB give the any counties that ruler has in that specific duchy? I just did a duchy CB against Chernigov but only got one county of his. Maybe I did something wrong.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

What CB should I be using when trying to take over a duchy efficiently? Doing a county just gives that county and then I'm stuck in a truce with them. Does the duchy CB give the any counties that ruler has in that specific duchy? I just did a duchy CB against Chernigov but only got one county of his. Maybe I did something wrong.

You get better CBs later in the game, but as for claim CBs, the issue might be that the person you targeted only actually had a single de jure county of that duchy. Even if they control more territory overall and that duchy is their top level title, you can only take what legally belongs to that title with the claim.

Alternatively, you might have accidentally picked a county claim instead of a duchy claim when declaring your war - the interface confuses a lot of people and accidentally making a claim for a county when they had a duchy one available is very common. The actual territory you will get from a CB will be highlighted on the map with blue stripes.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 22, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There can also be issues where a duke has most of their territory in one duchy, and one lovely county in a different one, and you accidentally declare your duchy conquest for the wrong one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the Duchy Claim CB is very inconsistent about what it gives you, because it depends on who owns land within the duchy and whether they also own land outside of it.

The Tribal, Clan, Holy War, and de Jure CBs will consistently give you all of a duchy though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Well I just did it twice more and I got their territory but then I had to usurp the Duchy title from them since I had enough counties.

Also, what do I do if they're of the same faith so I have to use Piety but don't have any? I'm constantly losing that since I'm a sinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pilgrimages, Donations to Head of Faith, defend against religious enemies, be a better person, in rough order of importance. There's a bunch of perks in the Learning lifestyles that boost piety gain too, but they might be all percentage boosts, and thus not help you if you're already losing piety.